One of the things that always rubs me the wrong way is nationalism; not the nationalism that makes people love their homeland, but the dogmatic kind of nationalism that allows the average citizen to take credit for the accomplishments of their countrymen, without actually doing anything themselves. 

Often, when a local guy performs some sort of exceptional act, he generates an interested audience. Whether it be a beautiful song, an amazing goal, or an exercise of military power, these exceptional achievements captivate masses of people who become "fans" of the acts, in one form or another. Whenever these acts become exclusive enough to be called, "cultural", and whenever these fans start believing they should be taken seriously because they've watched the exceptional acts on television, you have the recipe for the kind of nationalism that I truly detest.

I'm astounded by how many Canadians boast their citizenship as if it improves their hockey IQ. These types of people act like they're in some sort of exclusive club, with stores of  information the rest of the world cannot access. It's always the subtle references that bug me the most; the flippant & dissmissive, "pff, american". You can almost hear the correlation to racism.

The truth is, hockey IQ per hockey fan in each country is probably close to a Gaussian distribution, with means that are pretty close together. I don't doubt that at the extremes, there are many more highly intelligent Canadian fans than American fans, but under the meaty part of the curve (which includes the VAST majority of each country's fans) are nitwits that call into radio stations to complain about officiating, morons that scream "SHOOT THE PUCK!!" when their team is on the power-play, and armchair-general managers that propose lop-sided trades on internet forums.

If your arguments are good, they are good regardless of your place of birth. Be special because you are special.

/end rant

Not only are you not special, you are purple... one more reason not to brag Smile