An interesting boycott idea

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

An interesting boycott idea

I don't for a second believe these fans who say that if the league has a lockout they'll boycott the NHL. I heard the same thing last time, and almost every fan came back. A boycott of the NHL would also be after the fact, so it would have no impact on the CBA negotiations currently.

But I saw this article in the Tyee.

http://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2012/09/11/Hockey-Fan-Revolt/

The idea is not to boycott the league, which would be pointless and most who say they will, won't. The idea is to boycott the other busineses owned by the owners, and boy their are a lot of them. The whole list is here.
    http://www.youhavetwoweeks.com/boycott.html

The name of the website is because they started this two weeks before Sept. 15.

Personally I like the idea, as it is more impactful and more immediate than a NHL boycott. However, looking at the sheer scope of the businesses owned, it would be difficult to do. For example, one these companies is one of my employers, another owns my apartment building, I lease grazing land from another one, and finding nutrional supplements for my horses not made in part by Potash Corp. of Saskatchewan, would be basically impossible.

That said there are plenty of other businesses on that list I can boycott without having to quit my job, move, and starve my horses. Simple things like not drinking Molson's, not shopping at WalMart, not going to the Shark Club etc.

What do you all think of this idea?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Re: An interesting boycott idea

Been boycotting all of these places my entire life with out even trying.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

If you look at the holdings and subsidiaries of some of those companies I'd bet you'd be surprised at what you do buy/use them for. Did you watch any games last season, for example, on Vs./NBC Sports? Did you watch us win Game 7 of the Cup?

Then you used one of these companies.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think there may be too many degrees of separation for this to be felt by the owners, and it seems a little complicated for us as fans, with busy lives.  

I think we can still impact the owners directly through lost hockey money, without pledging to boycott the NHL (which would be more painful for me than them anyhow).  In the past three months, I have already cancelled the NHL package and declined to buy any game tickets, which I usually do by now.  I picked up an extra DU hockey season ticket with the savings.  In short, they've already lost a big chunk of my money, not because of a boycott, but just based on practical planning for me.  I will watch less NHL this year because of the dispute, even if they work it out tomorrow.  Some of the pain should already be hitting them.  Hopefully.  

I say just go ahead and refrain from buying anything 'NHL' until they are back on the ice.  Then if it is too late and you've spent your entertainment dollars on something else, so be it.  

I agree that a boycott after the fact means nothing.  The time to divert your money is now.  Maybe we'll all come back, but my 2012 hockey money is going elsewhere.  

Maybe I'll buy a few tickets in the spring and order the NHL package at mid-season...but that ship is gonna sail soon too... 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I have to say I tend to agree  with you Fletch. Not grabbing the NHL package either, and have bought season tickets for the Vancouver Giants instead - that's less revenue already, and money I can't spend on the NHL when they come back.

Also it's a lot easier then quitting my job and moving both me and a bunch of livestock ;)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

yeah, it doesn't take a lot to make a huge difference.  we can all do our part.  this huge explosion in league revenue could be seriously impacted with a work stoppage, and if that happenned...I'd be thrilled.
    us die-hards will still be what we are, but we should responsibly attempt to cut some of our annual NHL expenditures, if we don't agree with a stoppage.
    remember too...all of this "growth" didn't come from core hockey fans spending 250% more than they did a few years ago, a lot of it came from new revenue sources, and that can go away, and stay away real easy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

There is no amount of "boycotting" that will remotely affect the owners, now, during or after the fact.

We overestimate our importance, I think.

When they come back, I'll watch and spend at the same rate as always. I'm not buying tix yet because I don't know if games will be played. I'll definitely buy Winter Classic tix and plane tickets to get there. Nothing's gonna change.

"Boycotts?" Really?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Boycotting never works. Too many poeple could care less about the NHL to to make even a dent. And for those who say they will boycott, they will still go to Walmart once they see something on sale.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There is no amount of "boycotting" that will remotely affect the owners, now, during or after the fact.

We overestimate our importance, I think.

When they come back, I'll watch and spend at the same rate as always. I'm not buying tix yet because I don't know if games will be played. I'll definitely buy Winter Classic tix and plane tickets to get there. Nothing's gonna change.

"Boycotts?" Really?

While I agree with you that boycotting isn't practical in this case, saying that boycotts never work is just factually untrue.  They work all the time.  Ask Rush Limbaugh.

Further, the more passive decision by fans to spend their money elsewhere is incredibly impactful and is something any business reponds too, in pracically every industry.

As I wrote above, I think a formal boycott is impractical in this case and it isn't something I want to do anyhow.  But if you don't think that losing half of the NHL package subscribers has no impact at all, you're crazy.  The owners are continuously balancing short-term losses against long-term gains in the CBA.  As they gain ground in the negotiations, there is less to fight for, less gains to be had.  As they lose time and customers for this season, more money is being lost.  As soon as they are losing as much short-term money as they would be gaining in the long-term CBA, they will agree to a deal.  So the amount they are losing right now is entirely relevant to their decision whether to press on or not.

I'm not interested in a 'boycott' because I want to watch hockey whenever they come back.  But if everyone declined to spend another dime on anything 'NHL' until they got back on the ice, I bet an agreement would happen sooner.  Every ticket that is sold now tells the owners that the fans are patient and the money will be there, lockout or not.  When things like the NHL package are cancelled en masse, it tells them that fans are starting to move on.  Believe me, they're paying attention.

The Winter Classic is the one game you can't miss???  Friggen goalies...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I don't care enough about hockey to change where I bank or shop.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

It is an interesting idea, but the NHL would only feel the impact if a similar league in North America were competing against them of which there are none.    In losing both customers (us) and employees (the players) to the other league, the NHL/Owners would expedite this agreement.  Nothing else will work except waiting it out. 

On a tangental topic, I'm starting to wonder if the NFL will just keep the replacement officials.  While they were not spectacular in week 1, it can be argued that they were adaquate.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from matttt87. Show matttt87's posts

I have to agree with Kelvana and NAS, first off people always talk about this stuff and never follow through, it would have ZERO impact. Even if a large amount of hockey fans did boycott, I can almost assure you that it would not greatly impact the business - you would need a much larger group of people. Secondly to NAS's point, there are so many businesses there it would take so much work. Not only the sheer number, but also the grasp of them. I'm sure many of those companies provide services and products to other companies that you could support them without even ever knowing. This would not be a small change in ones life, you would have to put a significant amount of work, research, and discipline into doing this - it really would be a big life change.

To really sum it all up in short text... People always talk about boycotts and never follow through (and this is for simple ones, such as don't watch hockey). Add into the complexity of this and the networking it would take, and see ya.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Why on earth would I boycott a company because it or a related company has a labor dispute? I support a free economy and the labor laws which allow employers and employees to operate as they see fit. If the UAW goes through tough negotiations with the "big 3", it doesn't mean I shouldn't buy an American car. If a boycott actually worked (which it wouldn't), the only thing it would be doing is saying that either employees can't fight for what they view is a fair wage or that employers can't run their business to make a profit, depending on which side was forced to cave. And would you want to force layoffs at Potash Corp. because NHL players want to maintain their $2million average salary? This is absolutely silly. I enjoy watching hockey. I will miss it if it's not on. I will watch it when it's back on. That is the extent that it impacts my life, and I have no financial or personal involvment in the NHL's labor negotiations.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

Ya wouldnt buy an american car anyway overpriced and its not dependable. The nhl is locking out they have been send us emails about options for the tickets. Atleast i wont have to pay for preseason what a scam that is.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to OatesCam's comment:

Why on earth would I boycott a company because it or a related company has a labor dispute? I support a free economy and the labor laws which allow employers and employees to operate as they see fit. If the UAW goes through tough negotiations with the "big 3", it doesn't mean I shouldn't buy an American car. If a boycott actually worked (which it wouldn't), the only thing it would be doing is saying that either employees can't fight for what they view is a fair wage or that employers can't run their business to make a profit, depending on which side was forced to cave. And would you want to force layoffs at Potash Corp. because NHL players want to maintain their $2million average salary? This is absolutely silly. I enjoy watching hockey. I will miss it if it's not on. I will watch it when it's back on. That is the extent that it impacts my life, and I have no financial or personal involvment in the NHL's labor negotiations.

?????

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I don't care enough about hockey to change where I bank or shop.

holy cow...you sure must love where you bank and shop.  you basically live on a hockey forum.