Are the Bruins Big & Bad Enough?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Are the Bruins Big & Bad Enough?

Looking at the B's roster, I wonder aloud if they are Big & Bad Enough.  Not necessarily in the fisticuffs department, but in the wear & tear department.  Teams like the Rangers & the Kings are huge up front.  The Bruins only have 3 guys up front over 6' and 200lbs.  The Rangers and Kings have 6 guys up front over 6' and 200 lbs.  I understand that size needs to be accompanied by skill, but are the Bruins lacking the size needed up front to compete with these 2 favorites in a 7 game series?  Is Chris Bourque at 5'8" 174lbs. the answer on a 3rd line that is already undersized or average sized.  The Caps are another big team up front that were able to frustrate the Bruins in the playoffs last year.  Something to think about.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Are the Bruins Big & Bad Enough?

I believe this lineup is nearly identical up front to the one that hoisted the Cup. Recchi wasn't exactly a big guy so I'd say they're big enough to win as is.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I dont think you have to be big and bad enough. You have to be good enough with real good goaltending. How big and bad were the Red Wings over the past decade or so? Size and skill are good but if I had to choose I'm taking skill all day.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to MeanE's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Looking at the B's roster, I wonder aloud if they are Big & Bad Enough.  Not necessarily in the fisticuffs department, but in the wear & tear department.  Teams like the Rangers & the Kings are huge up front.  The Bruins only have 3 guys up front over 6' and 200lbs.  The Rangers and Kings have 6 guys up front over 6' and 200 lbs.  I understand that size needs to be accompanied by skill, but are the Bruins lacking the size needed up front to compete with these 2 favorites in a 7 game series?  Is Chris Bourque at 5'8" 174lbs. the answer on a 3rd line that is already undersized or average sized.  The Caps are another big team up front that were able to frustrate the Bruins in the playoffs last year.  Something to think about.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think how big up front the Caps were was the frustrating part of playing them last year for the B's.

I thought it was how the Caps played in their own end in front of Holtby. Scoring chances were hard to come by for the Bruins which had less to do with having big forwards and more of how their defense and Holtby played.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think how big up front the Caps were was the frustrating part of playing the Caps last year for the B's.

I thought it was how the Caps played in their own end in front of Holtby. Scoring chances were hard to come by for the Bruins which had less to do with having big forwards and more of how their defense and Holtby played.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you that the caps played well in front of Holtby.  However, I seem to remember  the Caps dominated the 50/50 puck battles throughout the series.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I believe this lineup is nearly identical up front to the one that hoisted the Cup. Recchi wasn't exactly a big guy so I'd say they're big enough to win as is.

[/QUOTE]

I agree they are big enough to win as is.  However, their road to the cup went thru Habs, Tampa, and Van that were not exactly Big & Bad.  The Flyers were big & bad, but didn't have the goaltending to go with it, and the B's had payback boost!  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I don't think how big up front the Caps were was the frustrating part of playing the Caps last year for the B's.

I agree with you that the caps played well in front of Holtby.  However, I seem to remember  the Caps dominated the 50/50 puck battles throughout the series.

Winning puck battles includes good stick work. Size is not the only recipe.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

Jordan Caron would have been a help in this dept. What. Happenned to this kid?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red2004sox. Show red2004sox's posts

they have plenty of size.  it comes down to talent and depth.  The Bruins have both.  It will be a fun and fast paced season to watch.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to xdrive's comment:

Jordan Caron would have been a help in this dept. What. Happenned to this kid?

He is injured. wasn't exatly lighting it up when he wasn't anyway...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Pavel Datsyuk wins his share of puck battles.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Actually he's amazing at this part of the game. Good example.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Still so disgusting they got this guy in the 6th round 171st overall!

Probably the sickest hockey player I ever watched not named Orr, Lemieux, or Bure. And Bure is only there because he did everything with speed, 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Probably the sickest hockey player I ever watched not named Orr, Lemieux, or Bure. And Bure is only there because he did everything with speed, 

Not to mention Zetterberg 210th, Lidstrom in the 3rd round, Franzen 97th, etc....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Not to mention Zetterberg 210th, Lidstrom in the 3rd round, Franzen 97th, etc....

Yea, Hans Andersson was Detroit's Diamond in the rough that's for sure!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Yea, Hans Andersson was Detroit's Diamond in the rough that's for sure!!!

hehe...was his middle name Christian by any chance?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Griswal65. Show Griswal65's posts

Agree w/ MeanE, too small and soft up front. Was a big factor against Wash. We looked tiny up front compared to their D.

Horty back will help with that a little. Rex was solid @ 200 lbs and played tough on the puck.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

Great question.  This was a huge concern of mine when there was talk about adding a guy like Parise (which I'm glad did not happen especailly at that price tag).    I think the B's need a little more depth in the Top 6 with the combo of size and talent.  They are thin in this department after Horton and Lucic, and this was exposed last year in the playoffs without Horton.   

I'm not as concerned when both of these guys are healthy as they have plenty of toughness and "meanness" from the back end and on the 3rd/4th lines.  The B's played essentially .500 hockey last year after their big streak while trying to replace Horton with the likes of Peverley, Rolston, Pouliot, putting DK on the wing, etc...  This problem was glaring to me.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

Size is a factor when talking about net precense.  The Caps did an unreal (record setting) job of blocking shots last year, but at the same time, Holtby saw a ton of pucks without any Bruin bodies in front.  Bigger talented forwards can create more havoc in front of the net which is needed in tightly contested playoff matchups.

Some of those Championship Red Wings teams that Kelvana mentioned had players who paid the price up front with Shanahan, Holmstrom, and a few others.    My point is that you need some talented guys willing to get in the dirty areas in addition to the softer, finesse players to have that perfect blend....and great goaltending, of course.

I don't think how big up front the Caps were was the frustrating part of playing them last year for the B's.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Seems like we sometimes we confuse size with effort.  Brad Marchand is a smaller guy who wins plenty of puck battles and wreaks havoc in front of the net. 

It is not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I'd like to see liftime NHLer Robins suit up against the sabres a few times this season. Man was on a mission last night. I say at some point I'd like to see Hanson come up and play on the 4th line for a few games. Not bad hands for a big man let him ride on the 4th line for a few.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to lucdufour's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Size is a factor when talking about net precense.  The Caps did an unreal (record setting) job of blocking shots last year, but at the same time, Holtby saw a ton of pucks without any Bruin bodies in front.  Bigger talented forwards can create more havoc in front of the net which is needed in tightly contested playoff matchups.

Some of those Championship Red Wings teams that Kelvana mentioned had players who paid the price up front with Shanahan, Holmstrom, and a few others.    My point is that you need some talented guys willing to get in the dirty areas in addition to the softer, finesse players to have that perfect blend....and great goaltending, of course.

............................................................

During the Bruins cup run, which forwards were the most effective for them ? Hint: It wasn't the big guys.

I love having bigger players on the team but don't discount smaller players doing just as good of a job of going to the dirty areas, retrieving pucks and creating havoc in front of the net as the big guys.

In some aspects of the game, hands, quickness and speed can have the same results ( or better ) as having size as shown in the cup run. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Seems like we sometimes we confuse size with effort.  Brad Marchand is a smaller guy who wins plenty of puck battles and wreaks havoc in front of the net. 

It is not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Good point Crowls. It's usually all about who wants it more.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to lucdufour's comment:
    [QUOTE]

............................................................

During the Bruins cup run, which forwards were the most effective for them ? Hint: It wasn't the big guys.

I love having bigger players on the team but don't discount smaller players doing just as good of a job of going to the dirty areas, retrieving pucks and creating havoc in front of the net as the big guys.

In some aspects of the game, hands, quickness and speed can have the same results ( or better ) as having size as shown in the cup run. 

I agree Chowda. Not a big Marchand fan, but when he plays his best hockey he's as valuable as having a 6 2" 210lbs body! Not overly speedy, but fast enough to create problems. His hockey sense, poise with the puck & patience was well illustrated in the Cup gwg. Without his play the B's don't have their 6th cup imho.

25. This post has been removed.