As Expected NHL Cancels Games Through Oct. 24th

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

As Expected NHL Cancels Games Through Oct. 24th

Not really a surprising announcement but still a very sad state of affairs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: As Expected NHL Cancels Games Through Oct. 24th

<groan>

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Until we see 50/50, get used to it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsLegion. Show BruinsLegion's posts

In response to jpBsSoxFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not really a surprising announcement but still a very sad state of affairs.

[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised it's only the first couple of weeks to tell the truth.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]  I honestly think hell will freeze over before we see that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If anyone sees Satan ice skating to work we'll know the lockout is over.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You could be right, but somewhere along the way i think it will have to be 50/50 or pretty darn close to get hockey back on the ice. The players will have to give in again.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You could be right, but somewhere along the way i think it will have to be 50/50 or pretty darn close to get hockey back on the ice. The players will have to give in again.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, after a season has been flushed down the toilet. How frustrating - wasting a year.... 

I feel like the players union is hoping the NHL will fold in order to save the Winter Classic, but I doubt they will, then the rest of the season will be canceled. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Bisson1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, after a season has been flushed down the toilet. How frustrating - wasting a year.... 

I feel like the players union is hoping the NHL will fold in order to save the Winter Classic, but I doubt they will, then the rest of the season will be canceled. 

[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately i don't think the Winter Classic means as much to the owners as we fans think it does.I mean it's a great spectacle and all and generates alot of publicity and is revenue generating, but ultimately the NHL will cancel it in a heartbeat to get what they want, and in my opinion, they will get what they want. It's just the way i see it playing out,whether it takes one month,one year or two years.As the missed paychecks pass and the players have another Starbucks carmel macchiato, they might just wake up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

At some point, if they haven't already I would expect NBC and HBO to step in here. Not saying they can tell the owners and players how to split their revenue, but i think with the money they spend, the exposure they provide, they will want to be heard. This is an absolute disgrace. Much like in 94 when the NHL was finally gaining steam ( does anyone remember the Sports Illustrated issue when the cover stated "Why the NHL is hot, and the NBA is not) they will shoot themsleves in the foot.

I won't get into who is right and who is wrong, but both sides need to accept their share of the blame pie here. HBO and NBC finally provided the type of exposure the NHL long craved, and this Winter Classic with a Canadian team involved would have added to that.

The NHL finally had the foundation to reach many people and make tons of money for all involved, and they can't handle it. Thats the bottom line.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Really, how long can Gary Bettman play the  " we have the best fans in the world" card  and automatically assume all fans will come crawling back with open arms ? Something has to give, I think there could be real ramifications this time around, especially in the already struggling markets.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

At some point, if they haven't already I would expect NBC and HBO to step in here. Not saying they can tell the owners and players how to split their revenue, but i think with the money they spend, the exposure they provide, they will want to be heard. This is an absolute disgrace. Much like in 94 when the NHL was finally gaining steam ( does anyone remember the Sports Illustrated issue when the cover stated "Why the NHL is hot, and the NBA is not) they will shoot themsleves in the foot.

I won't get into who is right and who is wrong, but both sides need to accept their share of the blame pie here. HBO and NBC finally provided the type of exposure the NHL long craved, and this Winter Classic with a Canadian team involved would have added to that.

The NHL finally had the foundation to reach many people and make tons of money for all involved, and they can't handle it. Thats the bottom line.

[/QUOTE]

Not until the owners get 50/50 they won't.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Aren't the owners pushing for more than 50/50?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Can someone tell for sure when they say they cancel it means these games below we'll never get back ?  or will they postpone ?  For me cancel means canceled.

Thu. 11 at Philadelphia Flyers 7:00 PM ET NBCS    Sat. 13 at New Jersey Devils 7:00 PM ET NESN    Tue. 16 at Montreal Canadiens 7:30 PM ET TSN/RDS/NESN    Thu. 18 vs. Montreal Canadiens 7:00 PM ET RDS/NESN    Sat. 20 vs. Dallas Stars 7:00 PM ET NESN    Tue. 23 vs. Carolina Hurricanes 7:00 PM ET NESN    Thu. 25 vs. Anaheim Ducks 7:00 PM ET NESN 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Can someone tell for sure when they say they cancel it means these games below we'll never get back ?  or will they postpone ?  For me cancel means canceled.

Thu. 11 at Philadelphia Flyers 7:00 PM ET NBCS    Sat. 13 at New Jersey Devils 7:00 PM ET NESN    Tue. 16 at Montreal Canadiens 7:30 PM ET TSN/RDS/NESN    Thu. 18 vs. Montreal Canadiens 7:00 PM ET RDS/NESN    Sat. 20 vs. Dallas Stars 7:00 PM ET NESN    Tue. 23 vs. Carolina Hurricanes 7:00 PM ET NESN    Thu. 25 vs. Anaheim Ducks 7:00 PM ET NESN [/QUOTE]

I guess it'll depend on what kind & longetivity of the season. If they have a shortened one like 95' I think the games against the East will be played unless they only have 4 games against division & 2 against conference. I think if this goes until the end of Oct the Stars & Ducks game will not be made up.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

[QUOTE]

Thu. 11 at Philadelphia Flyers 7:00 PM ET NBCS    Sat. 13 at New Jersey Devils 7:00 PM ET NESN    Tue. 16 at Montreal Canadiens 7:30 PM ET TSN/RDS/NESN    Thu. 18 vs. Montreal Canadiens 7:00 PM ET RDS/NESN    Sat. 20 vs. Dallas Stars 7:00 PM ET NESN    Tue. 23 vs. Carolina Hurricanes 7:00 PM ET NESN    Thu. 25 vs. Anaheim Ducks 7:00 PM ET NESN [/QUOTE]

I think it depends on how long the lockout lasts. If they only miss the games canceled so far, they will probably condense the schedule slotting these games into off days, and maybe extending the season by a week or so. I it goes til January I would expect a shortened season with mostly outer conference games being completely canceled, sort of like what happened with the NBA last season. However, right now it seems like there won't even be a season at all so it could be irrelevent.

Looking at the games listed there, too bad... Home and Home with Montreal (speeled correctly), one with Philly, and the return of Aaron Rome to Boston.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

I doubt they will juggle the schedule to fit in any games:

1. Arenas already have othere events going on around the existing schedule dates...

2. It would be a logistical nightmare to re-do an abreviated schedule around divisions/conferences in a shortened season....even swapping out teams on the same date would be difficult since tickets are already printed(I would assume).

On a related note, has anyone seen the process the League goes througn to create an NHL Schedule?

No computers, it is essentially only 2 or 3 guys with Post-it notes doing it by hand on a giant board.

Many cities prefer certain nights/promo days:

- Bruins= Saturday matinees,

- Canadian cities need Saturday nights for HNIC,

- Toronto also like Monday, Wednesday nights for Home games,

- "Hockey Day in Canada' has all Canadian teams playing each other back-to-back-to-back for TV,

- Montreal also hosts Sat/Sun matinees on Super Bowl weekend, etc

Plus, they need to know other events' dates and need to allow reasonable time to travel with reasonable routing.

They just keep trying this and tweaking that until it all works!

I watched a feature documentary on this (somewhere?!) a while ago.

Of course some things slip through - I think it was last year that two teams played each other three times in a row (but one of the teams played someone else between, I think).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Aren't the owners pushing for more than 50/50?

[/QUOTE]

They might be, but i would guess 50/50 could or would get it done.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

The arena's had other events going on during the NBA season but they managed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I wonder what the next date is that another batch of games gets canceled is. Has anyone heard?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]

I wonder what the next date is that another batch of games gets canceled is. Has anyone heard?

[/QUOTE] Word is that they will continue to do it in 2 week incriments which is equal to 1 paycheque for the players.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Davinator's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dave, I'm going to watch McKinnon against the Sea Dogs in 2 hours. It should be a good one.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

[QUOTE]

Really, how long can Gary Bettman play the  " we have the best fans in the world" card  and automatically assume all fans will come crawling back with open arms ? Something has to give, I think there could be real ramifications this time around, especially in the already struggling markets.

[/QUOTE]

that's what i'm praying for and even if they're back playing by Nov....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

My question is what will happen on Thanksgiving  ?

Rangers on the Friday afternoon and Penguins on the Saturday night .

if these games through October 24 are not canceled my weekend will be changed , how else will they re-coop the first 2weeks of the season ?  Schedule will have to be changed.

So does "cancel" means cancel or postponed ?  Am I the only one reading too much into this play of words ?  I'm sure when they sat around advisors discussed with the owners and what this means.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

[QUOTE]

My question is what will happen on Thanksgiving  ?

Rangers on the Friday afternoon and Penguins on the Saturday night .

if these games through October 24 are not canceled my weekend will be changed , how else will they re-coop the first 2weeks of the season ?  Schedule will have to be changed.

So does "cancel" means cancel or postponed ?  Am I the only one reading too much into this play of words ?  I'm sure when they sat around advisors discussed with the owners and what this means.

[/QUOTE]

I've been looking into this and the more articles I skim through the more it looks like the games will be completely eliminated. Sucks too, there were some really good match-ups for the Bruins in the first two weeks.