As expected NHL salary cap at around $71M for next season.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

As expected NHL salary cap at around $71M for next season.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl-salary-cap-projected-at-roughly-71m-next-season-1.2457590

"When the playing resumed, fans returned and the money came pouring back. Revenues increased so much that next year's salary cap is expected to be roughly $71 million US, close to a 12-per cent increase from this season.

That's an estimate, but it's the figure Bettman delivered to the board of governors Monday. 

"I said to the board there shouldn't be any issue or consternation. If that's the cap level, it's because the revenues have gone up," Bettman said. "We try to give people a sense of where we think it'll come out, but it's subject to a whole host of issues — ultimately how much revenue is generated, where the Canadian dollar is, because we convert to U.S. dollars. If you want a rough, rough, rough ballpark, OK, but it could change."

"That even goes for smaller-market teams. The cap floor this season is $44 million, and it's expected to be about $52 or $53 million next year."

How many GMs will immediatly get themselves into trouble July 1st ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Re: As expected NHL salary cap at around $71M for next season.

vanek and phaneuf are gonna get paiiiidddd. I wonder if Subban tries to go short term to break the bank. If he signs this off season he's getting 8-9. If he waits until UFA status he might get 11. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Thornton and Marleau have perfect timing for their contracts.  Toews and Kane will be in their last year of their contracts.  The Bs will have most of their young defensemen to sign.  Should be interesting.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

This is no surprise.  I've been saying this since the Ducks re-signed Getzlaf and Perry for $17M combined - the GMs have known the Cap would be going up like this.  Chiarelli maxed out the carry over bonus cushion knowing that he'd have all that room and then some next year.

All they had to do was look at their own revenues and talk to their colleagues to get at least a reasonably reliable indication.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

Looks like we would have had the money to Seguin

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Chappy28's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Looks like we would have had the money to Seguin

[/QUOTE]

Another idiot Seguin crybaby.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Someone is going to give Subban an offer sheet if possible.  It's going to be a monster.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

It'll be the subsequent raising of the salary floor that will prove interesting here. A buncha teams, already struggling, are going to find the 50-something million salary floor fairly onerous to meet.

Also interesting that 70 million-ish was around-about what a lot of the big-spenders were spending before the Salary Cap system was put in place. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

And I read that the Sportsnet TV contract won't be factored till the cap the year after. How about Michalek or Stastny in a Bruins uniform ?

Books really, really going to hate this place come March LoL

http://capgeek.com/payrolls/?salary_cap=%2471%2C100%2C000&charts_year=2014

RFAs Reilly Smith, Torey Krug, Svedberg and Miller to sign.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to gord11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It'll be the subsequent raising of the salary floor that will prove interesting here. A buncha teams, already struggling, are going to find the 50-something million salary floor fairly onerous to meet.

Also interesting that 70 million-ish was around-about what a lot of the big-spenders were spending before the Salary Cap system was put in place. 

[/QUOTE]

dregger has been tweeting about that. said that around 5 NHL teams will qualify for 45 million in revenue sharing stuff. 7 million shouldn't be a problem. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Big market teams - "YAY!"

Small market teams, more specifically ones in the "up-and-coming" group - "You gotta be s***ting me"

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Someone is going to give Subban an offer sheet if possible.  It's going to be a monster.

[/QUOTE]

Without looking at the cap for teams I would say so.

David Krejci must be smiling after hearing this.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Sure makes that lockout seem smart doesn't it.  Everybody in the know, was sure this was going to happen.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

what do we think david gets kel? more than bergeron? I think 7 years at 6.5 per sounds about right

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:
    [QUOTE]

what do we think david gets kel? more than bergeron? I think 7 years at 6.5 per sounds about right

[/QUOTE]

I'd say that sounds right, and I wouldnt compare salaries to to other players, in this instance it has more to do with timing. Becoming a free-agent I think how much you get depends on so much more than how good or valuable you are. Other factors line cap projections, quality of other free-agents etc..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:[QUOTE]Sure makes that lockout seem smart doesn't it.  Everybody in the know, was sure this was going to happen.[/QUOTE]

I know such a waste.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to stevegm's comment:[QUOTE]Sure makes that lockout seem smart doesn't it.  Everybody in the know, was sure this was going to happen.[/QUOTE]

I know such a waste.

[/QUOTE]

it would be 81 without the lockout. That's 300 million the NHL owners potentially save next year due to the lockout. I bet they don't think it was a waste. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The 2015-2016 cap will probably end up being $81M.

How much revenue did the owners lose during the lockout ?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Just the 2012 pre-seaon and the 1st 25 games $240M was lost. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I know such a waste.

[/QUOTE]

it would be 81 without the lockout. That's 300 million the NHL owners potentially save next year due to the lockout. I bet they don't think it was a waste. 

[/QUOTE]

Why do you think it would have been 81.  They settled the split quickly.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

and by that time the owners will have probably saved 600-700 million. it was definitely worth it for them. if they had just extended the CBA at 57% for 8 years and gained those 25 games and a pre season, they would have lost billions. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

That's just the first 25 games and the pre-season. Then you have November, December and January not included. The cap will be at $81M the season after next, I just don't see how that is productive for the game and their coffers.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

SanDog, if people are going to suggest bringing in Michalek and Stastny, two overpriced underperforming players with big names, I can start hating now.

The actual number of the cap doesn't matter - the cap would always be 7% of eligible revenues higher under the pre-lockout deal than the current deal.  Basically, take the current cap amount, divide by .5, then mulitply by .57.  If the revenues justify $71M under this deal, they would have sent the cap to $80.9M under the old deal.  If the cap rises to $81M under this deal, it would be $92.3 under the old deal.  Every year of a $10M gap = $300M league wide.  So after two years, the owners have at least recouped the money they lost to the lockout by not paying it to the players.

Factor it at $300M/yr over ten years of the deal and yeah, the lockout looks really smart to me.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"So after two years, the owners have at least recouped the money they lost to the lockout by not paying it to the players."

And then factor in the Sportsnet TV revenue in the future that is a whopper. I should have rephrased "Why wait till late winter and lose that money from the fall, November and December" to accept.

Wonder if that TV deal was already in the works last year and the owners knew. For the posters that complain about Bettman, he comes cheap compared to the other Commissioners.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Factor it at $300M/yr over ten years of the deal and yeah, the lockout looks really smart to me.

[/QUOTE]

Many people think it was about the players making too much money.  They don't realize it was about the players making too much OF the money.

Owners are thrilled to be able to pay guys $10M/yr.  It just means they're making that much more overall.