As expected NHL salary cap at around $71M for next season.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Re: As expected NHL salary cap at around $71M for next season.

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

SanDog, if people are going to suggest bringing in Michalek and Stastny, two overpriced underperforming players with big names, I can start hating now.

The actual number of the cap doesn't matter - the cap would always be 7% of eligible revenues higher under the pre-lockout deal than the current deal.  Basically, take the current cap amount, divide by .5, then mulitply by .57.  If the revenues justify $71M under this deal, they would have sent the cap to $80.9M under the old deal.  If the cap rises to $81M under this deal, it would be $92.3 under the old deal.  Every year of a $10M gap = $300M league wide.  So after two years, the owners have at least recouped the money they lost to the lockout by not paying it to the players.

Factor it at $300M/yr over ten years of the deal and yeah, the lockout looks really smart to me.

[/QUOTE]

You and Bostonfan are on a different page then, then I believe Sandog and I.  

Of course, if the league had merely extended the old deal, the lock-out makes perfect sense.  Certainly not what I'm inferring though.  The current revenue split wasn't really that tough a negotiation.  By anyones standard, a split virtually the same was a walk in the park.  This thing should have wrapped up by the 2nd week of Oct at the latest.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Factor it at $300M/yr over ten years of the deal and yeah, the lockout looks really smart to me.

[/QUOTE]

Many people think it was about the players making too much money.  They don't realize it was about the players making too much OF the money.

Owners are thrilled to be able to pay guys $10M/yr.  It just means they're making that much more overall.

[/QUOTE]

If we're going to correctly pigeon hole "why' this happenned despite record annual growth, I believe it was sold as a neccesity to maintain some "financial health for the small market teams...the have-nots.

Even reasonably skilled financial people understood the only way that could ever come to pass, is for the "big market teams"..to start failing, causing the whole thing to regress.  When paying by percentages...when the number goes up...you pay more.  It has no bearing on the financial weaklings.

This deal didn't really do much for the little guys.  It made the big dogs a lot richer though, simply through legislation.

Everyone knew going in, the split would be around 50-50, and virtually no one was screaming about that.  It was pretty much the standard in pro sport, and the PA moved quickly off the 57.

This looming catastrophe that supposedly was staring down the virtual suvival of the league....was put off for about 1.5 seasons.  The Florida's of the league are going to see a huge increase in the floor next year, and that's supposedly the root problem.

And the cost?  Impossible to figure exactly, because some things just must be projected.

My take?  The difference between 50% of a full year last year...and 50% of what we ended up with, and that's a big net loss.  Then there's the really toughie.  Did the lockout delay growth, or did it add fuel to it.  It could be debated endlessly(I originally thought it would hurt, but now am not so sure), but is unquestionably one way or the other.

As far as owners being "thrilled" to pay someone 10 mil...it seems they're thrilled to overspend whatever the cap number is. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

True that there were other issues - contract length and structure was a more difficult negotiation as I recall, and we ended up with 7/8 and minimal year-to-year variance.  From the outside, it's hard to know how much of what the league did during negotiations was done in order to manage Fehr and what was purely a miscalculation, but there are undoubtedly things they said they would hold out for that they took off the table largely by bargaining against themselves.

Fixing the split will help the weak markets, and hopefully it makes it more difficult for a team in massive debt like the Devils to sign a $100M+ deal again with a player who will run away to Russia.  You would hope that it would also help the rich teams share revenue to support the weaker sisters, but that's never going to happen. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Being selfish that I wanted the split agreed too earlier. Yes the owners get that money back but there perception that they could get the percentages in the 30s or 40s was dead wrong. The owners get that money back but they could have kept it by agreeing earlier. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

okay. now the owners don't have to worry about 15 year contracts. small market teams get more revenue sharing, and the owenrs save hundreds of millions of dollars per season. The amount of money they save every season goes up every year. The lockout was a absolutely huge success for the owners. and in the long term, we want the owners to be happy. it's good for the league. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Someone is going to give Subban an offer sheet if possible.  It's going to be a monster.

[/QUOTE]

I think that should be the only way Subban gets anything above 6 million. You know my stance on most RFAs. I think all teams need to play a bit of hardball with them and then match the offer sheets if need be. Either that or extend them earlier at a reasonable rate. Don't break the bank because someone might give them an offer.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

This is great for the Bruins.  With Chara, Bergeron, Rask, Seidenberg all locked up long-term before the cap hit this level, the signing of other key players should be a bit easier.  Especially Krejci, Smith and Krug.