Avery Waived

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Re: Avery Waived

Enjoy the comparisons but one thing sticks with me.  Can you really compare stats from the 80's to stats achieved in 2020-11?  Marchand scoring 21 in 10-11 must equate to something allot more back in the 80's.

Goaltending alone, it was so much easier to put the puck in the net back in the 80's compared to today.  Goaltending style back then was basically stand up.  The size of the men and equipment used back then was much smaller.  Some very average players were scoring 30+ goals back then.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: Avery Waived:
    [QUOTE]Enjoy the comparisons but one thing sticks with me.  Can you really compare stats from the 80's to stats achieved in 2020-11?  Marchand scoring 21 in 10-11 must equate to something allot more back in the 80's. Goaltending alone, it was so much easier to put the puck in the net back in the 80's compared to today.  Goaltending style back then was basically stand up.  The size of the men and equipment used back then was much smaller.  Some very average players were scoring 30+ goals back then.
    Posted by misterpaulo[/QUOTE]

I think you just cracked an entirely different can of worms.  I would argue that point till Im blue in the face.  Goaltenders may be better but the rules and PP in todays game.  Can you imagine if Orr/Gretzky and Mario had todays rules.  They would have had 400 pts a year.  And the best goalie even(Roy and Brodeur) can compete in any era. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Shupe, I do think Marchand is a rat.  Doesnt mean I cant like what he does for the Bruins.  If I saw him being "dirty" all the time and hiding like Subban does, I would hate him regardless of the spoked B he wears.  Until then, I like him as a rat.  Rats dont bother me as long as they arent dirty.  Did he get suspended for a hit?  Yes.  Did Joe Thornton and Dan Paille?  Yes.  Does that make them all dirty, malicious players like Cooke & Ovechkin?  No.  And I dont see all this "hiding" that you do.  You dont like him so youre going to see things another way, thats just how it is.

And as far as Avery not being liked, sitting alone, not being friends with guys, etc., what is wrong with that?  I think sometimes people forget, the NHL is a JOB!  Ive had many jobs where I didnt like people I worked with so I didnt associate with them.  There is also nothing wrong with being "weird" in my book.  I dont hate Avery because he is "weird" and doesnt want to be friends with guys, etc.  Doenst make for a great teammate, thats for sure, and even though hockey is a job, he needs to be a team player so that can be (and has been) detrimental to his team and employment, but again, I dont think there is anything in the rule book thats says what a team player is and that you must follow those guidelines.

Again, I think you just have a strong disdain for Marchand and you cant/wont see past that.  I dont care if he is a punk, rat, etc., as long as he is playing great and sticks up for himself.  I have yet to see where Marchand caused an all out brawl and hid like Claude Lemieux or PK Subban did/do.  Both times where he was the center of such an event (Habs & Canucks games) he was getting run at WELL after the whistle and ducked hits, causing the other team to go bananas.  Thats NOT going out looking for trouble (and both times he came up with his gloves off, unlike Subban who in that Hab brawl jumped on Marchnds back but when Chara grabbed him he turtled and tried to crawl away, literally).  Subban CUASES trouble and literally runs from it.  HUGE difference.

I dont hate rats or instigators or punks or weasels or weirdos.  I HATE the dirty, cheap, malicious, chickensh*t players.  Neither Marchand or Avery are one of them.

And Ive addressed the Steckel/Crosby vs. Ference/Halpern before.  HUGE difference in what happened.  Not surprised you dont think so though.  Ive said it before shupe, I honestly think that youre the smartest troll on this board ever.  Im still not sure youre a Bruins fan, but thats just my opinion based on your postings, kinda like youre opinion of Marchand based on his play.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Avery Waived : Funny,  as wrong as I am, I believe you are agreeing with me here?  Chime in on Marchand dinglenuts.  Rat or Not? Steckel, for real?  Andrew Ference did similar to Halpren.  Next you will put Tim Brent on here running wild.   
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

Tim Brent is a beast, but that's for another time.  Steckel's hit on Crosby was worse than Ference's for several simple reasons.

-Ference and Halpern were facing eachother.  Steckel blindsided an unsuspecting Crosby.

-Steckel hit the head.  Ference hit the shoulder.

-Crosby was injured.  Halpern was not (did he even miss a shift?).

-Steckel plays this way all the time.  He's dirty, and for a guy his size he never has the stones to back it up.  Ference is a smaller guy and yet regularly accepts fights requests from bigger players.  He is accountable and he backs it up.  Not like that bum Raffi Torres.

The only thing in common about those two hits was that neither one was a mistake.  Prove bigvig wrong, and admit you're wrong.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Avery Waived : Tim Brent is a beast, but that's for another time.  Steckel's hit on Crosby was worse than Ference's for several simple reasons. -Ference and Halpern were facing eachother.  Steckel blindsided an unsuspecting Crosby. -Steckel hit the head.  Ference hit the shoulder. -Crosby was injured.  Halpern was not (did he even miss a shift?). -Steckel plays this way all the time.  He's dirty, and for a guy his size he never has the stones to back it up.  Ference is a smaller guy and yet regularly accepts fights requests from bigger players.  He is accountable and he backs it up.  Not like that bum Raffi Torres. The only thing in common about those two hits was that neither one was a mistake.  Prove bigvig wrong, and admit you're wrong.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]
    Fletch, posts like this one are the reason you're a perennial all-star.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Good points Shupe.  The 80's and 90's was a glorified hookfest and getting chances may have been tougher but I would still argue that in todays game (PP's acknowledged) that it is still tougher to create and capitalize on a scoring chance.  Everyone played man to man back then and nobody backchecked like we see today.  5 men collapsing in the slot rarely happened, while today it is the first strategy some teams go to.

Mario, Wayner and all the greats, imo, would never put up those kind of numbers under todays game of systems and huge butterfly/blocking style goalies even with the increased PP's.  There were lots of PP's back then too, they were just calling different crap.

Think of how many goals a player would score back in the day by simply sliding the puck along the ice on the traditional stand up goalie. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Avery Waived : Tim Brent is a beast, but that's for another time.  Steckel's hit on Crosby was worse than Ference's for several simple reasons. -Ference and Halpern were facing eachother.  Steckel blindsided an unsuspecting Crosby. -Steckel hit the head.  Ference hit the shoulder. -Crosby was injured.  Halpern was not (did he even miss a shift?). -Steckel plays this way all the time.  He's dirty, and for a guy his size he never has the stones to back it up.  Ference is a smaller guy and yet regularly accepts fights requests from bigger players.  He is accountable and he backs it up.  Not like that bum Raffi Torres. The only thing in common about those two hits was that neither one was a mistake.  Prove bigvig wrong, and admit you're wrong.

In terms of admitting I am wrong I have done it on numerous occasions.  Numerous.  Have you or Big done that.  So who never admits they are wrong.  If its based on opinion am I supposed to always change my opinion and wear the Bruin glasses.  cmon.  And thats why big calls me a troll.  B/C I expect a level of professionalism with this team.  And I enjoy the odd crazy game and admit when the other guys are dirt and admit when ours our dirt.

Marchand is a super pest and many love this type of player.  I personally can stomach it to a point.  Watch tonight.  Claude Giroux all of a sudden is a dirty player for checking Bergie.  Its freaking funny.  Yet Lucic runs Spacek from behind and think Spacek deserved it.  Can't we admit when our own guys are in the wrong?  Its fine to paint everyone else with a certain brush and then think we are roses.  We aren't.   I have said there wasnt a better skater in the finals than Marchand.  And there wasnt.  He was the best player in the finals.  Doesnt make him less of a greasy rat.  Do I have to like him b/c he wears a Bruins jersey?  Nope.  As a fan I am reserved the right to cheer for who I want. 

So you know what was going through both ference and steckel's head.  To me they were both with intent.  Thats all I need to know.  Intent.  Both knew where the other guy was on the ice and were vulnerable.  Both tensed up knowing what to expect.  I'm not saying they intended to hurt the other guy.  But they intended to do it.  Its kinda like sticking a knee out of reaction.  I have never heard of Steckel being a dirty player, if anything he is a wuss for his massive size.  But apparently you guys are experts of the mind as well and know AF was clean and Steckel was dirty. 

My stance won't change.  Players can cross the line from time to time and I know its hockey its all I have ever known.  

Never have I said he isnt skilled.  But in one year he has proven that he is a punk, who has been suspended for a head hit, who has been told to calm his act down by his coach and the league.  So how am I 100% wrong on this.  IF Claude had to tell him to smarten up.  The head coach.  But, Im a troll and 100% wrong.  

You are right.  I am wrong.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Avery Waived : When has Marchand ever said something like what Avery said about his ex-girlfriend, then get suspended ? When has Brad ever been suspended for waiving his stick in front of a goalies view to obstruct him from viewing the play, then get suspended ? There is no comparison between the two players whatsoever.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Well, that didn't happen.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Avery Waived:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Avery Waived : Well, that didn't happen. Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Do I give a F___! what you think of Marchand ?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Avery Waived : In terms of admitting I am wrong I have done it on numerous occasions.  Numerous.  Have you or Big done that.  So who never admits they are wrong.  If its based on opinion am I supposed to always change my opinion and wear the Bruin glasses.  cmon.  And thats why big calls me a troll.  B/C I expect a level of professionalism with this team.  And I enjoy the odd crazy game and admit when the other guys are dirt and admit when ours our dirt. Marchand is a super pest and many love this type of player.  I personally can stomach it to a point.  Watch tonight.  Claude Giroux all of a sudden is a dirty player for checking Bergie.  Its freaking funny.  Yet Lucic runs Spacek from behind and think Spacek deserved it.  Can't we admit when our own guys are in the wrong?  Its fine to paint everyone else with a certain brush and then think we are roses.  We aren't.   I have said there wasnt a better skater in the finals than Marchand.  And there wasnt.  He was the best player in the finals.  Doesnt make him less of a greasy rat.  Do I have to like him b/c he wears a Bruins jersey?  Nope.  As a fan I am reserved the right to cheer for who I want.  So you know what was going through both ference and steckel's head.  To me they were both with intent.  Thats all I need to know.  Intent.  Both knew where the other guy was on the ice and were vulnerable.  Both tensed up knowing what to expect.  I'm not saying they intended to hurt the other guy.  But they intended to do it.  Its kinda like sticking a knee out of reaction.  I have never heard of Steckel being a dirty player, if anything he is a wuss for his massive size.  But apparently you guys are experts of the mind as well and know AF was clean and Steckel was dirty.  My stance won't change.  Players can cross the line from time to time and I know its hockey its all I have ever known.   Never have I said he isnt skilled.  But in one year he has proven that he is a punk, who has been suspended for a head hit, who has been told to calm his act down by his coach and the league.  So how am I 100% wrong on this.  IF Claude had to tell him to smarten up.  The head coach.  But, Im a troll and 100% wrong.   You are right.  I am wrong.   
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

Wow shupe.  That is just a terrible job of responding to what I wrote.  You're way out in left field but I will respond to what I can.

I didn't say that you never admit you're wrong.  Bigvig said that.  I said "prove bigvig wrong".  I admit I am wrong all the time.  I was even mocking myself with the Tim Brent reference in my post.  Lighten up, my friend.

I actually wrote nothing at all about Brad Marchand, so all of that tired, tired discussion in the response to me was odd.  I have seen you write about how you're the only one here who calls a spade a spade and holds the Bruin players accountable so many times I could vomit.  I get it.  I think sometimes you are correct in that effort, and sometimes you tend to just be contrarian.  No big deal.  A very tired discussion there.

For some reason you seem to be constantly mystified that Bruins fans like their guys who play on the edge and are annoyed by players on rival teams who play on the edge.  Why?  It couldn't possibly be more common or predictable.  I have nothing against Giroux as a player.  But I might rail on him when he goes out of his way to nail Bergeron up high last year, or hit Seguin tonight.  I'd like to see Giroux get hammered.  Doesn't mean I think he's dirty or unfair, or a bad player.  Many on this board are much more biased than that.  You spend an incredible amount of time and energy arguing over this very simple and predictable issue.  Fans are biased sometimes and it's a Bruins board.  Don't let it bother you so much.

If you read my post, you'd see that I agreed on the point that both Steckel and Ference's hits were intentional.  Then I laid out exactly why I still think the hits were different.  You wrote about a whole bunch of other stuff, and didn't respond to any of that.  If you're going to respond to the post, read what is in it. 

Thank you, sir.  I usually very much enjoy our discussions.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Avery Waived : Wow shupe.  That is just a terrible job of responding to what I wrote.  You're way out in left field but I will respond to what I can. I didn't say that you never admit you're wrong.  Bigvig said that.  I said "prove bigvig wrong".  I admit I am wrong all the time.  I was even mocking myself with the Tim Brent reference in my post.  Lighten up, my friend. I actually wrote nothing at all about Brad Marchand, so all of that tired, tired discussion in the response to me was odd.  I have seen you write about how you're the only one here who calls a spade a spade and holds the Bruin players accountable so many times I could vomit.  I get it.  I think sometimes you are correct in that effort, and sometimes you tend to just be contrarian.  No big deal.  A very tired discussion there. For some reason you seem to be constantly mystified that Bruins fans like their guys who play on the edge and are annoyed by players on rival teams who play on the edge.  Why?  It couldn't possibly be more common or predictable.  I have nothing against Giroux as a player.  But I might rail on him when he goes out of his way to nail Bergeron up high last year, or hit Seguin tonight.  I'd like to see Giroux get hammered.  Doesn't mean I think he's dirty or unfair, or a bad player.  Many on this board are much more biased than that.  You spend an incredible amount of time and energy arguing over this very simple and predictable issue.  Fans are biased sometimes and it's a Bruins board.  Don't let it bother you so much. If you read my post, you'd see that I agreed on the point that both Steckel and Ference's hits were intentional.  Then I laid out exactly why I still think the hits were different.  You wrote about a whole bunch of other stuff, and didn't respond to any of that.  If you're going to respond to the post, read what is in it.  Thank you, sir.  I usually very much enjoy our discussions.

Helluva post . The chest beating ' we are the only ones who see Marchand for who he really is ' rants are just old, tired and self convincing. Vomiting is the next step for me also.

Fletch is the real 'dude who knows his hockey' ( along with dez of course ).