Avery Waived

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Re: Avery Waived

In Response to Re: Avery Waived:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Avery Waived : I can deny that.  I haven't had any fun watching a B's/Rangers game since...wait...has it ever been fun to watch B's/Rangers?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

When Ed Giacomin skated over to Derek Sanderson and said they were gonna get him and then the entire Ranger team jumped him in the corner... but the B's always beat them, Park and all,  especially in the '72 Finals...

Yeah, it was fun to watch Bruins/Rangers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonicator. Show Olsonicator's posts

I don't mind Avery. He doesn't go out there looking to hurt people, he's just a pest.

Someone will pick him up.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Pat Morris , Avery's agent was on sports talk radio yesterday saying they knew this was in the works for awhile ( Avery was playing on lines with AHLers during training camp ) Options for Avery as discussed were 1) there is a 24 hour period where teams can pick up Avery 2 ) if nothing happens he can then be assigned to the Wolfpack in Hartford 3) or the NYR can negotiate with a KHL team and send his rights to a team over there.

Morris said Avery would report to wherever he's told to go and would play the year out looking to get a tryout with an NHL team for next year if he doesn't get back in this year.

Pierre Lebrun commented on Avery's situation also . He said he talked to a few GM's around the league and asked them if they were interested in Avery . He got the same response from them. They laughed. He also said that he thinks that the NYR don't want him going to Hartford to disrupt that team.

My feelings on all of this . I think he's gone to the KHL to help a team there draw crowds. Just a guess though.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Nope.  When Marchand starts making disrespecting comments in public about former girlfriends, whining about how other players treat him, hitting from behind, not backing up his actions when people challenge him, not speaking with teamates and just being an all-around tool, I will start to hate him.  As it stands he's an excellent part of the Bruins and I enjoy watching him play.  I put him more in the category of players I would love to hate if he played for another team.  I don't have a problem with agitators.   Guys like say, Lapierre, I can't stand, but they make the NHL more fun because it's good to have a villain.  I put Cooke and Avery as players that I would prefer not be in the NHL.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Avery Waived : Do you feel the same way about Marchand?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]Nope.  When Marchand starts making disrespecting comments in public about former girlfriends, whining about how other players treat him, hitting from behind, not backing up his actions when people challenge him, not speaking with teamates and just being an all-around tool, I will start to hate him.  As it stands he's an excellent part of the Bruins and I enjoy watching him play.  I put him more in the category of players I would love to hate if he played for another team.  I don't have a problem with agitators.   Guys like say, Lapierre, I can't stand, but they make the NHL more fun because it's good to have a villain.  I put Cooke and Avery as players that I would prefer not be in the NHL. In Response to Re: Avery Waived :
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Actually I think you described Marchand very well. 
    Do you read twitter. check out Marchand's sometime.  He is a punk.  He has been suspended for a cheap hit.  He does run people from behind.  He has one NHL fight so he doesnt back it up, he golf club swings for a leaf player this year, he is an all around punk. 
    Avery was loved in Detroit as a rookie and then his act wore thin.  For one year year Marchand is on pace to past Avery easily.  Marchand is a good hockey player.  But so is Avery. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

shupe...can you picture BM skating back to his end of the ice during a tv timeout, and extending his stick to clip the opposing goalie in the back of the head? then continue skating on with a "what me? look on his face??"(avery to TT last year) nope, he'll jab a player in the face while standing directly in front of him(sedin this year). and let's not get carried away, 1) yes he was suspended, and this helped cool down his one ice antics like it should have, 2) if he runs so many people from behind there would have been more suspensions right?, 3) he has one fight in one season- as a rookie. i certainly didn't see him go skate to the officials/ his teammates every time somebody took offense to his actions, 4)i LOVED the golf swing! nothing will change that- heck if avery did that to an eliminated bruins club, i'd laugh just the same, it's funny! 5) let this marchand thing play out a little bit, the sample size is too small. avery STILL ACTS like he's an adolescent spoiled brat, and there's NO SIGN he will be anything but that the remainder of his career. my guess is you are just a self-proclaimed "old school" hockey guy, who hates young brash players, seeing as how you used the term PUNK, to describe him. let's wait and see what the 2011-12 marchand brings to the table, then carry on this discussion at alater date.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Avery Waived : Can you name a time where he was jumped and pounded.  I can't.  Thing is he is a pretty decent fighter as well, mainly b/c he jumps the gun. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

I can remember a time where he got trounced, but not so much jumped. To my delight memory says it was a (now former) Bruin, Mark Stuart.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I don't bother with twitter except for Bob McKenzie.  I have seen Marchand more than willing to go when he did something other teams didn't like, but the other team wouldn't actually follow through.  He was suspended for a mild elbow and admitted blame.  I am OK with the golf swing, it came when the Leafs were getting nasty and tempers were high, they deserved it.  Marchand takes hits, throws hits and competes.  I like him.  I've said before I think he has the potential to get out of control and turn into a total sideshow, but he isn't there yet.  If he does I would be among the first to say get rid of him.  Avery is well past that, hated by teamates and adds nothing to hockey.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Avery Waived : Actually I think you described Marchand very well.  Do you read twitter. check out Marchand's sometime.  He is a punk.  He has been suspended for a cheap hit.  He does run people from behind.  He has one NHL fight so he doesnt back it up, he golf club swings for a leaf player this year, he is an all around punk.  Avery was loved in Detroit as a rookie and then his act wore thin.  For one year year Marchand is on pace to past Avery easily.  Marchand is a good hockey player.  But so is Avery. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

To love Marchand's style but hate Avery's style is to love oranges but hate tangerines. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Marchand is more of a clementine.  Better packaged and less messy than an orange but just as tasty.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]To love Marchand's style but hate Avery's style is to love oranges but hate tangerines. 

I really like Tangerines and dont care for Oranges.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Avery vs. Marchand: I didn't see Avery scoring in last years  playoffs. or ever.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Bye Bye Sean

Sean Avery has cleared waivers after going unclaimed. With Wednesday afternoon's deadline come and gone, Avery has now officially cleared waivers. Options for him at this point appear to include being assigned to the Connecticut Whale of the American Hockey League or exploring playing possibilities in Europe should the Rangers permit him to do so.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Avery Waived : Actually I think you described Marchand very well.  Do you read twitter. check out Marchand's sometime.  He is a punk.  He has been suspended for a cheap hit.  He does run people from behind.  He has one NHL fight so he doesnt back it up, he golf club swings for a leaf player this year, he is an all around punk.  Avery was loved in Detroit as a rookie and then his act wore thin.  For one year year Marchand is on pace to past Avery easily.  Marchand is a good hockey player.  But so is Avery. 
    Shupe, this is a line that you've pulled out countless times yet, not once, have you provided us with an example of when someone tried to get Marchand to fight and he refused. Until you do that, I'll continue to assume Brad has taken on all comers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

1. Player A has a history of taking stupid penalties, says stupid stuff about opposing players relationships, been questioned by his own teammates, has a rule immediately implemented because of his actions, acts like he has no interest in fighting only to drop his gloves and start fighting, non chalantly skates past goaltender during TV timeout and hits goaltenders head with stick..

2. Player B has 1 suspension, flips a Sedin, promplty drops gloves once challenged, slashes opponnents elite players while awaiting face off, scores second most goals in 2011 playoffs,3rd in +/- 2011 playoffs, 3rd in scoring 2011 playoffs and has Stanley Cup ring.

One resume is longer, the other one is more impressive. Not really a correlation between the two.

I'd argue Brad Marchand is more Claude Lemieux than more Sean Avery.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

As the resident pest lover on this board I have to say this. Brad Marchand is better at being Sean Avery then Sean Avery is at being Sean Avery. Same type of player but one is(so far) a lot better at being that type of player. And he might just be redefining that position...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]As the resident pest lover on this board I have to say this. Brad Marchand is better at being Sean Avery then Sean Avery is at being Sean Avery. Same type of player but one is(so far) a lot better at being that type of player. And he might just be redefining that position...
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

I don't think he's redfining it and I don't think he's Sean Avery. He's Theo Fleury, but taller.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Avery Waived : I don't think he's redfining it and I don't think he's Sean Avery. He's Theo Fleury, but taller.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    Red, I'll be thrilled if Marchand can score 80% of the points that Fleury put up. I think he could do it too.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Avery Waived : Red, I'll be thrilled if Marchand can score 80% of the points that Fleury put up. I think he could do it too.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Dez, I  think he can, and I'm not making the comparison lightly. I was living in Calgary the year of their Cup win and the parrallels are striking. Both were integral parts of championship teams in their rookie year, and both drove the opposition completely nuts over the course of four series playing the role of utter pest. The difference? Fleury got 5 goals and 6 assists for 11 points - Marchand got 11 goals and 8 assists for 19 points.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I like the Claude Lemieux comparison.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Avery Waived : Shupe, this is a line that you've pulled out countless times yet, not once, have you provided us with an example of when someone tried to get Marchand to fight and he refused. Until you do that, I'll continue to assume Brad has taken on all comers.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Dez,
    Why are you making him a tough guy?  You think BM is any different then any other punk that does everything avery does and skates away.  Marchand has one fight.  I think my case is presented pretty clearly.  You think Marchand would fight PK Subban?  Do you?  Do you think he would fight any other pest like Avery/Ott or any of those types.  Eventually those guys have to drop the gloves.  They all pick their spots but have fought.  For as much as I hate Cooke he did take a pounding by Thorton and skaked away.  Avery has fought good fighters and so has Ott. 
    So what does that tell me.  They answer the bell.  So until then BM is just a punk that doesnt back anything up.  Would Marchand fight Fedorek this year? 

I keep repeating my same stance b/c people actually think BM is some hard nosed tough guy.  News Flash.  HE HAS NEVER BEEN!

So I will counter.  Prove to me that he is.  Right now he is a dirty, cheap punk.  Who has skill.  I literally laugh that people think b/c he is a Bruin player that he is tough.  No he isnt.  He is no different then Avery.  And for Avery tapping TT on the head with his stick.  How is that different then speed bagging a Gazoo.  Its not.  Its just one is a Bruin and one isnt.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Marchand pots a few goals and acts like a punk and suddenly he's a 500 goal scorer and/or a 1,000 point/1,000 penalty minute guy.

You people AMAZE me.

Yeah, Callo, he's redefining it alright.  I've never seen any player come out of nowhere, grab the spotlight with some great goals and a nozzle attitude and suddenly the masses are ready to make him King.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]As the resident pest lover on this board I have to say this. Brad Marchand is better at being Sean Avery then Sean Avery is at being Sean Avery. Same type of player but one is(so far) a lot better at being that type of player. And he might just be redefining that position...
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

For as much as we dont get along from time to time at least you are honest.

Our rat is a rat. 

Theo Fleury?  Really?  You have seen some of Theo's antics over the yrs.  Had a great career at it.  And I am not saying BR wont have a great career.  But he is what he is.  A punk.  Some fans like it.  I personally am not a fan of it.  I can't imagine Marchand grabbing a Gretzky, Yzeraman like that.  It NEVER would have happend.  Hello Semenko and Probie.   Its funny what the instigator rule has created.  

I think the Avery and Marchand are very good when you compare them.  Both skill, both are punks, both decent players, both are head cases. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

NAS, I'm not saying that he'll end up like Fleury, just at this stage in his career, that's more like who he is playing like. If he pans out that way great (amazing actually) but at the same point in their careers, there's more similariy in style and results between Fleury and Marchand than there is between Marchand and either Avery or Claude Lemieux.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Looks like Avery cleared waivers and is headed to the A....poor, poor man.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=377498