Backstrum given match penalty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Re: Backstrum given match penalty

In Response to Re: Backstrum given match penalty:
    [QUOTE]Considering Weber got off with a $2500 fine, there's no way this doesn't get overturned.
    Posted by RawrBear[/QUOTE]

That was a different circumstance thought wasn't it?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I bet the league rescinds it.  They have always managed this rule so that star players aren't affected.  I remember Malkin clearly starting a fight with under 5 minutes left and getting the instigator -- supposed to be an automatic game suspension.  Right?  Couldn't be any clearer.  But the league just said "no" and rescinded it.

How Backstrom's offense is any different than Lucic's one game suspension in '09 would be impossible to argue, but still, I bet it gets rescinded.  And I bet the Bruins don't complain about it or lobby.  That's what's so great.  Peverly didn't dive to the ground holding his face like Schenn either.  Dignity.

Just beat the Caps.  Who cares about the rest.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I doubt Backstom is suspended for 1 game. Shanny will rescind it, wait and see.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i hope they do rescind it so there are no excuses if the bruins win the series. but who knows, for all we know when it comes to shanny-justice, he could get 5 games! who can actually figure this out? it really doesn't matter to the bruins either way, if they take care of their own business they'll win the series. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

If it gets overturned it's because Shammahan holds the Bs to different standards than the rest of the league. Hitting a Bruin is ok in Shammy's book. Look at Sestito the creep's hit on Horty. Shammy is a sham.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Actually I really don't want Backstrum suspended either.  I am very interested in the ruling explanation in any case.  Shanny will be using pretzel logic for sure.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

[QUOTE]I bet the league rescinds it.  They have always managed this rule so that star players aren't affected.  I remember Malkin clearly starting a fight with under 5 minutes left and getting the instigator -- supposed to be an automatic game suspension.  Right?  Couldn't be any clearer.  But the league just said "no" and rescinded it. How Backstrom's offense is any different than Lucic's one game suspension in '09 would be impossible to argue, but still, I bet it gets rescinded.  And I bet the Bruins don't complain about it or lobby.  That's what's so great.  Peverly didn't dive to the ground holding his face like Schenn either.  Dignity. Just beat the Caps.  Who cares about the rest.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Julien actually broke practice and talked about this post game.

"The only thing that's disappointing for me personally is that this is the third time in three games our player has been cross-checked in the face. ... You hope that those things don't get out of hand," Bruins coach Claude Julien said. "Somebody else, not us, has to deal with that."

It's just getting out of hand with the favoritism. The league is creating separate rules for repeat offenders, first timers and stars that is complete garbage. If the suspension doesn't stick, it just shows how much of a joke this supplemental discipline is.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottm50. Show scottm50's posts

[QUOTE]You missed the second half of Dale Hunter's quote: "...c'mon guys, its not like he blindsided a player head first into the boards three seconds after he scored and separated his shoulder or anything.  That would be bush league."

Is that true Fletch???  Hahahahaha  Is he referring to an actual incident...I can't think of that play??

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from winexpos. Show winexpos's posts

[QUOTE]Considering Weber got off with a $2500 fine, there's no way this doesn't get overturned.
    Posted by RawrBear[/QUOTE]

The difference with Weber is that he received a two minute minor roughing penalty for his actions at the end of the game, not a match penalty.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

No he doesn't. See Marchand's submarine hit vs Van that he got suspended for. Shanny has since admitted it was not against the rules (clipping) but he chose to suspend anyway

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSXIII. Show BSXIII's posts

TSN just posted that Backstrom has a hearing scheduled for tomorrow.  Doesn't look like this will be rescinded.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Shanahan started with good intentions but he couldn't find his rear-end with a road map, flashlight, compass, and a GPS with turn by turn directions. His moral compass is screwed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]I bet the league rescinds it.  They have always managed this rule so that star players aren't affected.  I remember Malkin clearly starting a fight with under 5 minutes left and getting the instigator -- supposed to be an automatic game suspension.  Right?  Couldn't be any clearer.  But the league just said "no" and rescinded it. How Backstrom's offense is any different than Lucic's one game suspension in '09 would be impossible to argue, but still, I bet it gets rescinded.  And I bet the Bruins don't complain about it or lobby.  That's what's so great.  Peverly didn't dive to the ground holding his face like Schenn either.  Dignity. Just beat the Caps.  Who cares about the rest.

Good point Fletch.

You have to think Shanny was planning to go easy on Mario's offenders, but the Backstrom thing complicates it a bit.

For example, he could have thrown a small bone to the Flyers by suspending Asham, but not Neal. But since the Backstrom play is nearly identical to the Asham play, one would have to think they get equal justice served. What will Shanny do, when you also consider his light punishment for Weber?

What a circus Shanny has created for himself, with no consistency or continuity of reasoning.  My guess is that we see $2500 all around and play on.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulyboy. Show paulyboy's posts

Here is what  makes sense. The intent by Backstrom was to injur Peverly.  The outcome of the action should never dictate the punishment.  The fact that Backstrom came in hard and was looking two cross check Peverlys face off should be enough of an indication that he gets 1 game.  The only cry babies will be the Caps fans when Shannahan gives him what he deserves. Tired of this non sense.  Get it right Shannahan!

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Backstrum given match penalty : Is that true Fletch???  Hahahahaha  Is he referring to an actual incident...I can't think of that play??
    Posted by scottm50[/QUOTE]

That is exqactly what Dale Hunter did to Pierre Turgereon in a late 90's playoff game between th NYI and the Caps?.  Turgereon scores the goal, skates past the left goal post and curls to leave the zone with arms raised.  As he is between the left corner and the left wall skating towards the faceoff dot, Dale Hunter caught up with him and hit him terribly hard.  Awful play for Hockey, great play for Hunter's team.

Players should not be rewarded for plays like this.  I think that penalties in cases like that should include the offender sitting out until the injured player recovers.  I just don't know how you write a rule to focus on intent without the major holes and flaws we've been discussing throughout this thread.

P.s.  I assume the second half of the quote was made up by Fletch but I don't know that for sure, it certainly would've caused some chuckles.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

There's no way they rescind this. The play so far this postseason has been getting out of control. they rescind this, and they lose all capability of managing the games. It'd be the wild west out there.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Backstrum given match penalty : The wild west is good for ratings. NBC paid the League $2 Billion last April for this controlled mayhem...so it must be good for us...right!
    Posted by null[/QUOTE]

Wrong!

The games are past my bedtime and all others who work for a living on the East Coast.

If they give me a percentage of ad revenue, then I'll change my tune.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Backstrum given match penalty : That is exqactly what Dale Hunter did to Pierre Turgereon in a late 90's playoff game between th NYI and the Caps?.  Turgereon scores the goal, skates past the left goal post and curls to leave the zone with arms raised.  As he is between the left corner and the left wall skating towards the faceoff dot, Dale Hunter caught up with him and hit him terribly hard.  Awful play for Hockey, great play for Hunter's team. Players should not be rewarded for plays like this.  I think that penalties in cases like that should include the offender sitting out until the injured player recovers.  I just don't know how you write a rule to focus on intent without the major holes and flaws we've been discussing throughout this thread. P.s.  I assume the second half of the quote was made up by Fletch but I don't know that for sure, it certainly would've caused some chuckles.
    Posted by RickyHussle[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I made it up.  I've never gotten over how insanely dirty that hit by Hunter was and it's hard for me to swallow that he's an NHL coach now.  One of the worst hits I have ever seen in hockey at any level.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]There's no way they rescind this. The play so far this postseason has been getting out of control. they rescind this, and they lose all capability of managing the games. It'd be the wild west out there.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

absolutely correct red.  considering the atmosphere out there..the absolute dumbest thing the league could do at this moment in time...is harpoon the officials by rescinding this.
    that's also pretty good logic as to why they will throw it out..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

[QUOTE]There is no precedent for Shannahan to overturn it.  He took a shot at Peverly's face after the horn had sounded, that is exactly what the rule is in place for. I thought the double minor on Lucic was a bad decision by the refs.  To me it seemed like the second Caps player was a "third man in", as Lucic was already mixing it up with one Caps player.  How Lucic gets the double minor when he is fighting 2 Caps players doesn't make sense to me.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

Lucic dropped his gloves and Hendricks didn't. Thats the only thing I could see that got him the extra 2.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

great post fletch especially about the lobbying. i mean julian has put it out there in the press conferences following the games but it was more concern then lobbying for penalty's or suspensions.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Backstrum given match penalty : Throw in that hit by Brown on Hank Sedin. Rome got 4 games in the 2011 finals for a very similar hit. Betcha NBC won't be allowing any LA suspensions!
    Posted by null[/QUOTE]

Browns hit was not late and it was clean, not even a penalty.

Rome was late. It's black and white, you are either late or not.