Beasts of the East

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Beasts of the East

Okay, so now that Weber is staying in Nashville, and I guess there could be a Bobby Ryan deal, I keep hearing Bruins fans complain and random fans point out how Boston did nothing to keep up with them, and even lost Thomas.

I still think the Bruins are a top tier team in the East. Just because they didnt make the sexy big trade or free-agent pick up doesn't change that for me. I think Lucic is primed for his best year yet, I'll also say the same about Krejci. Marchand & Seguin are two that will only get better each year with Seguin obviously having the higher ceiling.

I know Thomas is gone but I still feel goaltending is a strength on this team as Rask will prove he's a number 1 and Khudobin will have such a good year next year teams will be inquiring about him come draft day with plans of him as their number 1.

We still have the best defenseman, best defensive forward (who is pretty good offensivley) one of the best young players in the game and a relativley young core that now has another year of experience under their belts. Now if Horton can come back thats huge.

And because PC didnt do a knee jerk reaction, these good players could be here for the long haul. I like it.
    Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make. Still a team to be dealt with.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosbruins2011cup. Show bosbruins2011cup's posts

Re: Beasts of the East

In Response to Beasts of the East:
    [QUOTE]Okay, so now that Weber is staying in Nashville, and I guess there could be a Bobby Ryan deal, I keep hearing Bruins fans complain and random fans point out how Boston did nothing to keep up with them, and even lost Thomas. I still think the Bruins are a top tier team in the East. Just because they didnt make the sexy big trade or free-agent pick up doesn't change that for me. I think Lucic is primed for his best year yet, I'll also say the same about Krejci. Marchand & Seguin are two that will only get better each year with Seguin obviously having the higher ceiling. I know Thomas is gone but I still feel goaltending is a strength on this team as Rask will prove he's a number 1 and Khudobin will have such a good year next year teams will be inquiring about him come draft day with plans of him as their number 1. We still have the best defenseman, best defensive forward (who is pretty good offensivley) one of the best young players in the game and a relativley young core that now has another year of experience under their belts. Now if Horton can come back thats huge. Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make. Still a team to be dealt with.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

I like your positive outlook I wish I could be as optimistic. In theory young players another year in as Pros should have some progession but we know that doesn't happen all the time. The bruins are still one of the best teams in the east no doubt and as long as Tuukka stays healthy and can hold up for the season and not wear down I think the goaltending will be fine. One thing I am worried about is complantcy. No big changes to so guys might be happy to know their role is pretty safe and not feel like someone is going to take their job. I would have or would like if they added a scorer to help the power play. I am excited to see what Hamilton brings to the team but I am not thinking the power play problems will be solved from a rookie I think thats alot to expect. Maybe if thomas is dealt PC decides to pull a trade for another top 6 forward. The bruins have a fighting chance to win the east but I wouldn't call them favorites by any stretch of the imagination.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Beasts of the East:
    [QUOTE] I still think the Bruins are a top tier team in the East. Just because they didnt make the sexy big trade or free-agent pick up doesn't change that for me. I think Lucic is primed for his best year yet, I'll also say the same about Krejci. Marchand & Seguin are two that will only get better each year with Seguin obviously having the higher ceiling. I know Thomas is gone but I still feel goaltending is a strength on this team as Rask will prove he's a number 1 and Khudobin will have such a good year next year teams will be inquiring about him come draft day with plans of him as their number 1. We still have the best defenseman, best defensive forward (who is pretty good offensivley) one of the best young players in the game and a relativley young core that now has another year of experience under their belts. Now if Horton can come back thats huge. And because PC didnt do a knee jerk reaction, these good players could be here for the long haul. I like it. Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make. Still a team to be dealt with.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

That's the message I got from PC's statement in his conference call today.  

Chiarelli also addressed the major moves being made by teams around the NHL. "We don't react right away," Chiarelli said. "But we do not ignore... we are not standing still." But Chiarelli said no roster changes are expected prior to the start of the season.

Till now when he says he's not expected to make roster changes he usually sticks to his guns. He might have had plans and Thomas planted his stick in Chiarelli's spokes.   Dez, I'm as angry as you.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Top 6 of Horton, Lucic, Seguin, Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci isn't too far from the top 6 of the Rangers imo. All guys with 25+ goal potential, some may even surpass 30.

There bottom 6 is a lot better, the Rangers are looking to have two fourth lines, although Kreider will be on one of them with Rupp, Haley, Pyatt, Halpren... I can see the Rangers being in trouble if/when injuries hit them (which they should given their all out style of play)

Bruins will have Peverly, Kelly, Caron on their third line, plus they have Chara/Seidenberg to shut down the fantasy line in NY. Also, who knows what can be expected from Hamilton.

Depends on if Horton can stay healthy and whether or not Tuukka can be consistantly good all year as the number 1.

Bruins are still a top team in my eyes, especially with the good news on Horton today. Philly still has a bum in net and should be beatable. The Rangers and Penguins won't be easy but the Bruins will compete.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Beasts of the East:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Beasts of the East : That's the message I got from PC's statement in his conference call today.   Chiarelli also addressed the major moves being made by teams around the NHL. "We don't react right away," Chiarelli said. "But we do not ignore... we are not standing still." But Chiarelli said no roster changes are expected prior to the start of the season. Till now when he says he's not expected to make roster changes he usually sticks to his guns. He might have had plans and Thomas planted his stick in Chiarelli's spokes.   Dez, I'm as angry as you.  
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]
    You're angry. I'm probably mad.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

The Bruins bounced back last year from the previous hard fought and long year (you see that a lot in horse racing too, especially when a horse ran a hard fought race).

I think it's reasonable to expect that the Bruins to bounce back forward this year from last year. I think PC thinks that too. Thus I'm not sure the Bruins need to make a big trade to be one of the beasts in the East.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from juniorfalcon19. Show juniorfalcon19's posts

Heck, I still think the Bruins are the favorite to represent the east in the SCF. Here is why:
    The rangers will be a great regular season team, but they sacrificed depth and are a major injury or two away from being very easy to play against. They also don't have a real legit number one d man (although, they have many guys that could eventually jump into that role). i sense an early exit.

philly needed weber. they can get by with bryzgalov, but they need a number one d man. 

Pittsburgh, it's really tough to tell. they always seem to surprise me despite having a hole or two. I think they're the bruins biggest competition. 

Let me say that I believe Tuukka Rask will be a top 5 goalie in the NHL. No part in arguing the fact, I have my reasons, and others may have reasons to disagree, but that's my opinon. 

There are three things you need to win a Stanley Cup, I'm a firm believer in that a team needs to have quality depth at center, a legitimate, number one d man and quality goaltending (i'm not saying all world, Thomas or Quick like performance, but quality). The only exception I see to this in the current NHL is Pittsburgh, because Crosby and Malkin are just so good.

The Bruins have that, not many other teams do.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Remi72. Show Remi72's posts

In my opinion, we're one goal scorer away from being one of the beasts in the East, and that's if Rask is as good as we hope he'll be.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from juniorfalcon19. Show juniorfalcon19's posts

[QUOTE]In my opinion, we're one goal scorer away from being one of the beasts in the East, and that's if Rask is as good as we hope he'll be.
    Posted by Remi72[/QUOTE]

if hte bruins acquire a goal scorer without giving up anything out of their top 6 they are THE beasts of the east

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beasts of the East : if hte bruins acquire a goal scorer without giving up anything out of their top 6 they are THE beasts of the east
    Posted by juniorfalcon19[/QUOTE]
    Carl Soderberg or Bigfoot? The odds are the same on both.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I think the Bruins are the best team in the East, especially with Horton likely back to start the year. They were excellent last year and are icing a very similar team. Thomas is probably out, but Rask is in and Seguin and others could very well have career years. I have doubts about Hamilton, but if he can handle the big leagues they will be the best, deepest, most balanced team. Looking at their competition:

Flyers:  Lost Carle, Van Reimsdyk and Jagr. Added Schenn.
    Penguins:  Lost Staal, added Sutter.
    Caps:  Lost Semin.
    Devils:  Lost Parise.
    Rangers:  Lost Dubinski and Anisimov, added Nash. Also Gaborik had major surgery.

The five teams closest to the Bruins in talent all possibly got worse. I'm not sold that the Rangers are better with Nash and without Dubinski based on the way they played last year. At least against the Bruins who are so strong at center. And for all the talk of the Rangers top talent, the Bruins top-6 easily outscores the Rangers. The Bruins bottom six is even more superior.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from juniorfalcon19. Show juniorfalcon19's posts

i completely agree oates. dez, i was simply trying to point out that the bruins are already one of the beasts of the east, i think if they somehow added a bobby ryan for picks and prospects or something they would be head and shoulders above everyone in the east. 

pittsburgh had a plan, and it involved a big name free agent. that one didn't work out.

Philly obviously had a plan as well. Swing and a miss on that one. 

Rangers executed, but they didn't improve themselves against teams like pitt, philly, and boston. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

the B'S could be beasts if the following happens....  Horton returns and not only scores but plays the physical game he's also capable of....  Caron becomes a regular and puts up Pouliot numbers and brings an element the latter didn't, a physical game....  and Hamilton proves he belongs, even if to only see third-pairing mins....

funny, but i'm more confident that the two youngsters will be up to the challenge than the veteran will....

Horton's two concussions in less than a year worry me and we all know that he could be one hit away from joining Savvy....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]i completely agree oates. dez, i was simply trying to point out that the bruins are already one of the beasts of the east, i think if they somehow added a bobby ryan for picks and prospects or something they would be head and shoulders above everyone in the east.  pittsburgh had a plan, and it involved a big name free agent. that one didn't work out. Philly obviously had a plan as well. Swing and a miss on that one.  Rangers executed, but they didn't improve themselves against teams like pitt, philly, and boston. 
    Posted by juniorfalcon19[/QUOTE]
    No disagreement from me. I was just kidding about who might fit the bill of a player they could add for free without losing someone from the lineup. Cheers!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Well, I'll just say that I hope the eternal optimism expressed by all the posters viewing 2013 through Bruins-colored glasses are proven to be correct!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Beasts of the East : I like your positive outlook I wish I could be as optimistic. In theory young players another year in as Pros should have some progession but we know that doesn't happen all the time. The bruins are still one of the best teams in the east no doubt and as long as Tuukka stays healthy and can hold up for the season and not wear down I think the goaltending will be fine. One thing I am worried about is complantcy. No big changes to so guys might be happy to know their role is pretty safe and not feel like someone is going to take their job. I would have or would like if they added a scorer to help the power play. I am excited to see what Hamilton brings to the team but I am not thinking the power play problems will be solved from a rookie I think thats alot to expect. Maybe if thomas is dealt PC decides to pull a trade for another top 6 forward. The bruins have a fighting chance to win the east but I wouldn't call them favorites by any stretch of the imagination.
    Posted by bosbruins2011cup[/QUOTE]

I don't doubt as presently assembled the Bruins end up in the top 5 of the conference next April regardless of moves by the other teams.  I expect it.  The roster is solid but not above improvement or refining. 

I'll be curious to see how the team mindset is this year returning to the position of Cup challengers instead of defenders.  You mention complacency as a potential concern entering the season.  I think this won't enter into the mix because the players have nothing to be complacent about.  They got bounced in the opening round.  I'd like to think they know their GM wouldn't hesitate to make the changes needed to improve the team plus Julien has shown he'll sit anyone he views not up to par. 

In returning from his injury I think Horton will gradually return to form as the year continues.  It's unrealistic to figure him to come flying out of the gate.  I agree that any signs of Hamilton living up to his advanced billing will be a bonus. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I listed the 5 teams that were closest to the Bruins last year saying they all got worse. I'll leave the Rangers out because a lot of people love Nash, but do you dispute that the Flyers, Devils, Penguins, and Caps all lost a very talented player(s) while replacing them with inferior players? I don't see how it takes Bruins-coloured glasses to say that Boston is better off relative to all of those teams from last year to this.

[QUOTE]Well, I'll just say that I hope the eternal optimism expressed by all the posters viewing 2013 through Bruins-colored glasses are proven to be correct!
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]Well, I'll just say that I hope the eternal optimism expressed by all the posters viewing 2013 through Bruins-colored glasses are proven to be correct!
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

Pessimism must stink !

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

I agree with Phillies goaltender issues and no Weber is OK by me.

NYR have Nash but will he be locker room issue and Rangers down the center maybe a little weaker, I can see the Rangers signing Jason Arnott soon.

The TB and Carolina will make the playoff positioning much tougher now.

Toronto no goalie no play-offs, a good/consistent goalie and Carlyle new coaching can help the team possibilities.

Montreal Canadiens is always the team I see in the rear view mirror waiting to get in the passing lane.

For our very own Bruins: same team, same coach, can-not afford a slow start  and another dismal PP.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]I listed the 5 teams that were closest to the Bruins last year saying they all got worse. I'll leave the Rangers out because a lot of people love Nash, but do you dispute that the Flyers, Devils, Penguins, and Caps all lost a very talented player(s) while replacing them with inferior players? I don't see how it takes Bruins-coloured glasses to say that Boston is better off relative to all of those teams from last year to this. In Response to Re: Beasts of the East :
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Oh, you could make a case, and the eternal pessimists always assume that other teams' moves will work like gangbusters.  Or ghostbusters.  We could refer to pessimists as Egons.

Flyers: had a strong year after enormous turnover and even though they were incorporating a number of rookies into the line-up in Read, Couturier, and Schenn, and they have a core of players 27 and under that's comparable to the Bruins's: Giroux, Simmonds, Voracek, Read, Couturier and Schenn up front, Carle, Coburn, Meszaros, Schenn, Grossman and Gustafson on D.  The loss of Jagr hurts a bit, but JVR was almost a non-factor for them last year.  As that young group continues to gel and collect experience, esp. Couturier, Schenn and Voracek, the Flyers could get signficantly better without adding any new players.   But development is never a sure thing.

Capitals: Addition by subtraction with Semin out, though replacing him with Ribiero seems like a wash on almost every front.  They had a down year "rescued" by beating the Bruins - I don't expect Ovechkin and Backstrom to struggle that mightily this year.  And they clearly feel like Zach Hamill is the man to give them much needed secondary scoring....

Devils lost Parise and have little to replace him.  Worse.  But they should never have gotten as far as they did last year anyway.

Pens losing Staal was a blow, for sure.  They're terribly thin at forward, and it seems clear they ramped up for a big FA move that never materialized.  They're marginally worse than they were on paper, but they will have a healthy Crosby to start the year.

Rangers are better at the top with Nash.  It remains to be seen what they've really lost by dealing Dubinsky and Anisimov.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Going into the offseason, I thought TT would be traded for a couple of prospects & picks (pre-I'm taking my ball and going home/resting) while I thought Kelly, Paille and Campbell would be gone. I expected Chia to pick up some bottome 6 forwards to replace the three we lost (KPC) and was hoping Horton would be back for the start of the season.

The whole dream of getting Bobby Ryan, Rick Nash, & Zach Parise was just that, a dream. 

I would take the Bs over any other team in the East right now. Staal is a big loss and Nash @ $7.8 million diving at shots under Torts system is fine by me (whole regular season I'd match up Chara's line with Nash's line and just have him fire slappers). 

Getting a scoring winger would be the cherry on top of the cupcake, but the cupcake is still delicious. 

Now that Horton is going to be back, do people still think the Bs need a top 6 winger in order to have a chance at a cup? 

I still think a mid-year trade for a winger on an expiring contract makes the most sense.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beasts of the East : Oh, you could make a case, and the eternal pessimists always assume that other teams' moves will work like gangbusters.  Or ghostbusters.  We could refer to pessimists as Egons. Flyers: had a strong year after enormous turnover and even though they were incorporating a number of rookies into the line-up in Read, Couturier, and Schenn, and they have a core of players 27 and under that's comparable to the Bruins's: Giroux, Simmonds, Voracek, Read, Couturier and Schenn up front, Carle, Coburn, Meszaros, Schenn, Grossman and Gustafson on D.  The loss of Jagr hurts a bit, but JVR was almost a non-factor for them last year.  As that young group continues to gel and collect experience, esp. Couturier, Schenn and Voracek, the Flyers could get signficantly better without adding any new players.   But development is never a sure thing. Capitals: Addition by subtraction with Semin out, though replacing him with Ribiero seems like a wash on almost every front.  They had a down year "rescued" by beating the Bruins - I don't expect Ovechkin and Backstrom to struggle that mightily this year.  And they clearly feel like Zach Hamill is the man to give them much needed secondary scoring.... Devils lost Parise and have little to replace him.  Worse.  But they should never have gotten as far as they did last year anyway. Pens losing Staal was a blow, for sure.  They're terribly thin at forward, and it seems clear they ramped up for a big FA move that never materialized.  They're marginally worse than they were on paper, but they will have a healthy Crosby to start the year. Rangers are better at the top with Nash.  It remains to be seen what they've really lost by dealing Dubinsky and Anisimov.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Damn thats a good post.

I'm curious about the Lightning. I think thats a good team, like I said if Lindback gives them decent goaltending I expect them to make some noise. Also a big year for Hedman, he had the Tyler Mylers, good rookie year followed by a set back sophomore year. All depends if there coach puts his ego aside and just coaches

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

The bruins are in the top five in the east, winning the cup all comes down to who has injuries at the right times and gets hot at the right times. Look at the canucks in the reg. season they post the best record almost every year. But cant do anything in the playoffs. If horton doesnt get injured last year the bs would have been a big favorite to win the cup. We stay healthy i think we can win another cup. But that is a big IF horton gets hit the wrong way our beloved bs will fall apart again.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from juniorfalcon19. Show juniorfalcon19's posts

[QUOTE]The bruins are in the top five in the east, winning the cup all comes down to who has injuries at the right times and gets hot at the right times. Look at the canucks in the reg. season they post the best record almost every year. But cant do anything in the playoffs. If horton doesnt get injured last year the bs would have been a big favorite to win the cup. We stay healthy i think we can win another cup. But that is a big IF horton gets hit the wrong way our beloved bs will fall apart again.
    Posted by heyoo[/QUOTE]

the thing about the canucks doesn't really help with your point. The canucks are built to dominate weak teams, and struggle against good teams