Benoit Pouliot to Bruins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Re: Benoit Pouliot to Bruins

He was drafted in 2005. If he hasn't shown up in 6 years I have no reason to think he will next season. He's soft, heartless, gutless and he smells. le Pouliot de Providence. Enjoy RI and I hope I never see him taking up a roster spot in Boston.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

Great pickup at the price. He had a bad 2011 but he scored 17 goals in about 53 games at 23 years old. That's a 30 goal pace so he's shown flashes. I posted last week they should grab him to play with Bergy and MARCHMANT and apparently Pete listened to me LOL. That line would be sort of a French Connection combining size (Benoit), skill, and speed to burn (MARCHMANT)
    He also concurred with me about needing Khudabin signed. Glad he's back! So while I lament losing one of our playoff heroes (Ryder) I sense Chiarelli feels that moves must be made to keep up with the Joneses. Now I'm happy with our D (unless Kabs jumps ship in which case a pickup must be made). Kampfer and Bartkowski are NOT the answer to our puckmoving needs. I would take Souray if Edmonton eats half his salary. His cannon is second only to Chara's in all of hockey. I don't care if he just plays the PP and little else. If we can afford Kabs to play 9 minutes a game with no shooting ability, we can afford a CANNON for the same price. So Pete, listen to me one more time and pick up Souray, if Kabs leaves.
    Finally, we need one more scorer. That scorer in my opinion is Simon Gagne. If we got Gagne, I say it here that we're the cup faves. Without we're still in the mix, now that the Flyers unloaded Versteeg. Bad move IMO. They just weakened their forward core.
    Then, no more moves as we need to save room for Caron and Spooner, and possibly Sauve. This will occur naturally as players go through inevitable injuries. Peter deserves kudos as he's really thinking this through. GO BRUINS

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Then again, maybe it's a good depth signing and I'm just pi$$ed after dealing with krapa$$ traffic on my way home. :P

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

In Response to Re: Benoit Pouliot to Bruins:
    [QUOTE]Great pickup at the price. He had a bad 2011 but he scored 17 goals in about 53 games at 23 years old. That's a 30 goal pace so he's shown flashes. I posted last week they should grab him to play with Bergy and MARCHMANT and apparently Pete listened to me LOL. That line would be sort of a French Connection combining size (Benoit), skill, and speed to burn (MARCHMANT) He also concurred with me about needing Khudabin signed. Glad he's back! So while I lament losing one of our playoff heroes (Ryder) I sense Chiarelli feels that moves must be made to keep up with the Joneses. Now I'm happy with our D (unless Kabs jumps ship in which case a pickup must be made). Kampfer and Bartkowski are NOT the answer to our puckmoving needs. I would take Souray if Edmonton eats half his salary. His cannon is second only to Chara's in all of hockey. I don't care if he just plays the PP and little else. If we can afford Kabs to play 9 minutes a game with no shooting ability, we can afford a CANNON for the same price. So Pete, listen to me one more time and pick up Souray, if Kabs leaves. Finally, we need one more scorer. That scorer in my opinion is Simon Gagne. If we got Gagne, I say it here that we're the cup faves. Without we're still in the mix, now that the Flyers unloaded Versteeg. Bad move IMO. They just weakened their forward core. Then, no more moves as we need to save room for Caron and Spooner, and possibly Sauve. This will occur naturally as players go through inevitable injuries. Peter deserves kudos as he's really thinking this through. GO BRUINS
    Posted by OrrEspoCash[/QUOTE]

Souray signed with Dallas. And NEVER would I play Pouliot on the 2nd line. What's your thinking? Seguin would be on the 3rd line while Pouliot on the 2nd??? Are you serious Orr?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Benoit Pouliot to Bruins : I think the logic in it is that Claude Julien fancies himself to be the "Underachieving Forward Whisperer" and thinks he can squeeze more goals out of Pouliot than anyone else has. And given that he has had some success with these kind of reclamation projects in the past, why not?
    Posted by Kennedy97[/QUOTE]

I suppose it could not hurt. It is not like he is getting Ryder money. By the way, I wonder what the odds are for Pouliot putting up more points than Ryder next year....I bet they are smaller than some are willing to admit....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dskerr. Show dskerr's posts

4th overall pick in 2005....still only 24 years old....1 yr, $1M is nothing in this NHL.  Good signing for depth and competition in camp.  If it doesn't work, this is a very tradable contract or depth for Providence.  Money being thrown around today is crazy....very glad the Bruins are sitting back and waiting.  There will be deals to be had during the season when teams are looking to dump salary.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Benoit Pouliot to Bruins : jm, did you really have to dig up that skeleton?.... still i have to agree with you that Pouliot doesn't exactly fit PC's & CJ's mold of "players hard to play against"....
    Posted by days-of-Orr[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about this a little more (after a few drinks of course) and I am actually liking this deal more and more. With Ryder and Recchi gone as well as Savard it may be a little to unrealistic to assume two kids are going to step up in camp (Seguin will likely take much of Savard's ice-time). At least Pouliot can play a regular shift and put up some points.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Anyone remember this, pretty cheap play from Pouliot?  Pretty sure most of us went nuts about this.  At least Jack and Brick did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpFjEv8V2h4

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

And NEVER would I play Pouliot on the 2nd line. What's your thinking? Seguin would be on the 3rd line while Pouliot on the 2nd??? Are you serious Orr?
    -Ronstar8

Ronstar 8, 2nd and third line on the B's get the same amount of minutes. 15-17 minutes apiece. Take that to the bank. Who gives a darn whether a forward is on the 2nd or third line? I'm sure the players don't.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]And NEVER would I play Pouliot on the 2nd line. What's your thinking? Seguin would be on the 3rd line while Pouliot on the 2nd??? Are you serious Orr? -Ronstar8 Ronstar 8, 2nd and third line on the B's get the same amount of minutes. 15-17 minutes apiece. Take that to the bank. Who gives a darn whether a forward is on the 2nd or third line? I'm sure the players don't.

There is a difference between playing with Bergeron and Marchand or Kelly and Peverley.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

There is a difference between playing with Bergeron and Marchand or Kelly and Peverley-Not-a-shot

That's why I stated we need another scorer (such as Gagne)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

Gagne-Seguin-Peverley--Wow, what a third line that would be. Speed up the wazooooooooooooooooooooo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

[QUOTE]And NEVER would I play Pouliot on the 2nd line. What's your thinking? Seguin would be on the 3rd line while Pouliot on the 2nd??? Are you serious Orr? -Ronstar8 Ronstar 8, 2nd and third line on the B's get the same amount of minutes. 15-17 minutes apiece. Take that to the bank. Who gives a darn whether a forward is on the 2nd or third line? I'm sure the players don't.

Are you kidding?  Come on! Bergeron is the best overall player on the team and arguably the best two-way center in the game. Marchand has been the Bruins revelation during the playoffs. He's a huge spark plug and has tremendous speed with very solid hands. You want to compare that to 2 depth players?

Don't get me wrong, I really like Peverley & Kelly but there is no way you will tell me Seguin doesn't get dibbs on Recchi's spot.... Especially not for Pouliot!

Personally, I hope he doesn't even crack the line up but that's my opinion. I would much rather see a Caron or a Sauve there on the 3rd line.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

Ronstar, I think chemistry plays into it too. I don't see a lot of chemistry between Seguin and Bergy. They have 2 different mindsets. Segs is all about the O and Bergy's all about the D. But factor French element and I think Bergy with either Caron (but I think Caron's still a bit raw) or more likely Pouliot, who has the pedigree and the language, would hopfully be a nice fit. The key with Seguin is give him 16 or more minutes and tons of PP experience, and play him with fast scorers (again, Peverley and Gagne if they could get him) and he'll be a 25 goal, 55 point man in his second year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Pouliot has scored 30 goals the last two seasons combined as a 23-24 year old on slow down teams with little help while missing 32 games and playing limited minutes. His plus-minus total the last 2 seasons is +10[+2+8]. Which ranked well above average compared to his team mates. Thats impressive for a guy his age. We got him for next to nothing.

Based just on stats the last two seasons and normal progression, 20-25 goals and a very good plus minus would be a reasonable expectation for a full season. He should be better then Ryder in the regular season. I like this move.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

Thx NAS, you just made me spit Coke all over my laptop! LOL Post of the night.
    Doc
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Benoit Pouliot to Bruins : I read that word wrong, but it still made sense.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

[QUOTE]What's the French word for "chicken"? 
    Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]

Poulet. Coincidence?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

Let's all relax about Pouliot. For the next year he's got one thing  on his mind--bring us another cup That's good enough for me. Good move Pete, keep bringing in low priced talent. Then next year there'll be cash on hand to resign Krecji.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CactusTonyo. Show CactusTonyo's posts

Boston: garbage bag for ex habs :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from olsonstephanie. Show olsonstephanie's posts

Pouliot is a project.  He will be one of four players looking to replace Ryder on the third line.  He will be up against Caron, Spooner, and Arniel. 

He could become this year's Miro Satan?  Tall, lanky dude who can get you 20 goals at low cost?

He's also insurance in case Savard is finished.  See Kariya.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]Pouliot has scored 30 goals the last two seasons combined as a 23-24 year old on slow down teams with little help while missing 32 games and playing limited minutes. His plus-minus total the last 2 seasons is +10[+2+8]. Which ranked well above average compared to his team mates. Thats impressive for a guy his age. We got him for next to nothing. Based just on stats the last two seasons and normal progression, 20-25 goals and a very good plus minus would be a reasonable expectation for a full season. He should be better then Ryder in the regular season. I like this move.
    Posted by BMav[/QUOTE]

This is the ULTIMATE "let's manipulate stats to distort reality" post ever. Good on ya.

Of course, if you actually saw Pouliot play on a regular basis, you'd realize how laughable your post is. He wasn't handicapped by circumstances (his teammates, the system,injuries, etc). He just wasn't very good for long, long stretches of time, which has been his MO for his entire career.

Now, guys can change, and Pouliot isn't over the hill. And as mentioned, this is a no-lose proposition, really, at 1.1 mil.  But to expect 20-25 goals from a player who has never produced consistently enough over a full season? I wish you luck with your unicorn farm, sir.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

This punk has a lot of work to do to earn my respect.  Looking forward to seeing how he handles himself though.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

It's July...so this move is all about having options. I'm not convinced a Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin line is the way to go (too small for me), so might as well bring in several pieces and let the guys duke it out in camp. At minimum, we're looking at a P-Bruin or Pouliot as a replacement for Ryder...nothing wrong with that.

We all know the Bs were going to be quiet, but last year was truly magical (all hail Thomas) and to think they can do it the same way again is a stretch. I still think in the long term, they need a strong goal-scoring forward. Gagne would be a nice option on that line and could easily put in 20.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]Pouliot is a project.  He will be one of four players looking to replace Ryder on the third line.  He will be up against Caron, Spooner, and Arniel.  He could become this year's Miro Satan?  Tall, lanky dude who can get you 20 goals at low cost? .
    Posted by olsonstephanie[/QUOTE]

Your comp to Satan is misguided.  Satan was an accomplished proven goal scorer in the NHL, towards the end of his career.  Pouliot is a former overhyped high pick who has accomplished basically zero and is still a kid.

Zero similarities.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

If the B's can light a fire under his derriere he could be a decent addition. If not, he's waived and sent to the P-Bruins or possibly claimed off waivers. Low risk signing IMO.