Bergeron 3-4 years too many

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Bergeron 3-4 years too many

In response to Hockeymomsrule's comment:

Exactly. If they had waited until he hit the market, they would have been looking at matching a 7  year/66+mil contract. Higher cap hit, same years for all intents and purposes. The kid has been here since he was 18. He has given this organization, team and us everything he has every second he has been a Bruin, at a significantly lower rate than he could have gotten elsewhere. It was time for the organization to give back to him and guarantee he's able to retire as a lifetime Bruin. 

Did he recently score 93 goals in a season?  No?  Then he wouldn't get anywhere near that dough.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to pauly1's comment:

I don't know why people on here can't see that the PB contract is a big risk. When he suffers his next concussion "and he likely will" if it happens to be career threatening similar to Savard's then the LTIR would kick in and there would be no ill effect on the team cap.

But it's a concussion and more often than not predicting how long a player is going to be out is unknown. The team will not go out and spend that money on another player because the return of the injured player is unknown. So on paper it may not count against the cap, but in reality it does count and that hurts the team. 

I guess i could research all the teams that have been in this situation with different types of injuries, but i'm not going to. There are so many examples of this, were would i start.  

PB is not your average player when it comes to this type of injury, he is high risk.

Nothing would make me happier than to have PB prove me wrong, but 9 more years is a long time.

64-73-80-81-42.  Last 5 seasons.  Every player is a high risk when taking a shot like savard did.  Every player is different.  Bergie is smarter for starters.  

Could he take another huge shot?  Yes, hockey is a physical sport, but his gms played stat shows hes been very consistant since he was hurt.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

[QUOTE]
    Exactly. If they had waited until he hit the market, they would have been looking at matching a 7  year/66+mil contract.Higher cap hit, same years for all intents and purposes. The kid has been here since he was 18. He has given this organization, team and us everything he has every second he has been a Bruin, at a significantly lower rate than he could have gotten elsewhere. It was time for the organization to give back to him and guarantee he's able to retire as a lifetime Bruin. 

Did he recently score 93 goals in a season?  No?  Then he wouldn't get anywhere near that dough.

[/QUOTE]

Did semin?   And hes 1/4 the player bergie is.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

There's only four players in the league that are making 9.5 or more a season (which is what 7years/66million works out to approximately) Crosby, Weber, Parise and Suter. The Wild are nuts and the Preds got hosed with Weber, which leaves Crosby. Healthwise Crosby is an even bigger risk than Bergeron, yet there's still not one GM in the league that would consider giving Patrice Crosby-like money. He'd have got more than 6.5 on the open market, but nowhere near 7/66.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to pauly1's comment:

I don't know why people on here can't see that the PB contract is a big risk. When he suffers his next concussion "and he likely will" if it happens to be career threatening similar to Savard's then the LTIR would kick in and there would be no ill effect on the team cap.

But it's a concussion and more often than not predicting how long a player is going to be out is unknown. The team will not go out and spend that money on another player because the return of the injured player is unknown. So on paper it may not count against the cap, but in reality it does count and that hurts the team. 

I guess i could research all the teams that have been in this situation with different types of injuries, but i'm not going to. There are so many examples of this, were would i start.  

PB is not your average player when it comes to this type of injury, he is high risk.

Nothing would make me happier than to have PB prove me wrong, but 9 more years is a long time.

Just start with one example and go from there. If a guy is 35+ when he signs (Pronger) then I can see your point. Other than that, I don't. I'm sure Crosby will continue to get long term offers as well. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to red75's comment:

There's only four players in the league that are making 9.5 or more a season (which is what 7years/66million works out to approximately) Crosby, Weber, Parise and Suter. The Wild are nuts and the Preds got hosed with Weber, which leaves Crosby. Healthwise Crosby is an even bigger risk than Bergeron, yet there's still not one GM in the league that would consider giving Patrice Crosby-like money. He'd have got more than 6.5 on the open market, but nowhere near 7/66.

parise and suter only get 7.538 per year. Weber makes 7.857. Crosby makes 8.7. There are only two players in the NHL that get 9.5 or over. Malkin and Ovechkin, 9.5, and 9.538 respectively. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

[QUOTE]

parise and suter only get 7.538 per year. Weber makes 7.857. Crosby makes 8.7. There are only two players in the NHL that get 9.5 or over. Malkin and Ovechkin, 9.5, and 9.538 respectively. 

[/QUOTE]

You're quoting their cap hits - I quoted their actual salaries for the year coming up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You're quoting their cap hits - I quoted their actual salaries for the year coming up.

[/QUOTE]

ohhh okay gotcha. kovalchuk was part of that list too before he went crazy. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

There's only four players in the league that are making 9.5 or more a season (which is what 7years/66million works out to approximately) Crosby, Weber, Parise and Suter.  the Preds got hosed with Weber

You can look all you want at how much Weber actually gets paid but his cap hit is $7.8M. Chara's is $7M. Combined Rinne and Weber are $15M, Chara and Rask $14M.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Some math to consider.

Let's suppose you can determine a probability that a player gets seriously injured in a game: e.g. every game there's a 0.01% chance for a player to be badly hurt.

The difference between the percentage chance that a player completes a 4 year contract without serious injury and an 8 year contract without serious injury is depicted in the graph below.  (% chance healthy 4 years minus % chance healthy 8 years)

The biggest difference is only 25%, and that occurs at a 0.21% chance of injury.  At this point, the player is only 50% likely to complete the 4 year contract.  The real chance of injury is likely lower.

What do I think you should take from this?  Either consider a "high risk" player too big of a risk at any contract length, or you should consider the risk worth it, no matter the contract length.

For knowledge sake, the injury chance that gets a player a 90% likelihood of completing an 8 year contract is 0.016%.

-- Proud user of Chambraigne; Now with Wiener Scent! --

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[/QUOTE]

Why is he crazy? You don't know the story behind Kovalchuk. Maybe his family is having a difficult time adjusting? The guy went home to play during the lockout & loved it. I think there's nothing worse then being in a place physically, but in your head & heart you're some place else. I commend the guy for his honesty. He could've collected his money in Jersey & had a Travis Zajac season for the next 12 yrs. He doesn't cost the Devils anything except 3.2 million over 12 yrs. They now have the cap space to sign either another big name, or 2 more solid players. I'm a New Brunswicker, but I moved to AB for work & stability. But IF I was given the same opportunity to move back? I'd do it in a heartbeat! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Why is he crazy? You don't know the story behind Kovalchuk. Maybe his family is having a difficult time adjusting? The guy went home to play during the lockout & loved it. I think there's nothing worse then being in a place physically, but in your head & heart you're some place else. I commend the guy for his honesty. He could've collected his money in Jersey & had a Travis Zajac season for the next 12 yrs. He doesn't cost the Devils anything except 3.2 million over 12 yrs. They now have the cap space to sign either another big name, or 2 more solid players. I'm a New Brunswicker, but I moved to AB for work & stability. But IF I was given the same opportunity to move back? I'd do it in a heartbeat! 

[/QUOTE]

yaaaa okay. can we all agree that it's unorthodox to leave 77 million dollars on the table?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response

[/QUOTE]

Parise is making $12M this year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

yaaaa okay. can we all agree that it's unorthodox to leave 77 million dollars on the table?

If you could make $80M in eight years, would you prefer to make $77M in 15?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He's making any where between 15-20 mill a season in the KHL and in his home country. Where HE & HIS FAMILY want to be. Nothing unorthodox about that at all.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Exactly. If they had waited until he hit the market, they would have been looking at matching a 7  year/66+mil contract. Higher cap hit, same years for all intents and purposes. The kid has been here since he was 18. He has given this organization, team and us everything he has every second he has been a Bruin, at a significantly lower rate than he could have gotten elsewhere. It was time for the organization to give back to him and guarantee he's able to retire as a lifetime Bruin. 

$9.4 million a year for 7 years?

LOL.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

okay in order. 

1. NAS - if you would read the full thread you would see that we already covered the cap hit/salary issue. 

2. it is unorthodox. name a player that's done it before. ever. no? ya, it's unorthodox. moving on. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

okay in order. 

1. NAS - if you would read the full thread you would see that we already covered the cap hit/salary issue. 

2. it is unorthodox. name a player that's done it before. ever. no? ya, it's unorthodox. moving on. 

I just figured it out. Your akeebeed or whatever your stupid name was. No wonder your so thick! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

okay in order. 

I just figured it out. Your akeebeed or whatever your stupid name was. No wonder your so thick! 

[/QUOTE]

uhhh, no. I'm myself and that's it. what do you refute? Is this a normal move? Has any player willingly divorced themself of this kind of contract. It is unprecedented in this era. So by definition, it is unorthodox. good talk. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

okay in order. 

[/QUOTE]

uhhh, no. I'm myself and that's it. what do you refute? Is this a normal move? Has any player willingly divorced themself of this kind of contract. It is unprecedented in this era. So by definition, it is unorthodox. good talk. 

[/QUOTE]

Kovalchuk is gonna double that money is russia.   And in half the time.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

okay in order. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

that is very possible. In fact, it's probable. Does that make it normal? I'm not saying he's stupid or anything. This is however unorthodox, anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what the word means. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

okay in order. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

that is very possible. In fact, it's probable. Does that make it normal? I'm not saying he's stupid or anything. This is however unorthodox, anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what the word means. 

[/QUOTE]

Well i have seen players leave.  Radulov has been bouncing around.  Not sure ive ever seen that kinda cash left behind bc not many players have made that much.  What isnt unorthodox is that i can promise you he knew what his khl deal was gonna be before he retired.  Zero chance he leaves if he wasnt getting shown majot dollars.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

okay in order. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well i have seen players leave.  Radulov has been bouncing around.  Not sure ive ever seen that kinda cash left behind bc not many players have made that much.  What isnt unorthodox is that i can promise you he knew what his khl deal was gonna be before he retired.  Zero chance he leaves if he wasnt getting shown majot dollars.  

[/QUOTE]

of course he knew he was going to get paid. Radulov was told by the Preds they weren't going to give him an offer (probably more likely they did give him an offer, and upon hearing their counter offer, they decided to move on). He was a free agent.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

okay in order. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No just crazy. And I'm well aware what the word unorthodox means. I see it in 95% of your post.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

you know, at first i kind of backed off from the term crazy because i thought it was the wrong choice of words. I'm going back to it now. I guess crazy is a way of saying he had a huge change of heart. If this was about money all along why didn't he take the 10 year/100 million from atlanta. If he wanted to give it one last go to get a stanley cup, and play a few years for a contender, why did he set up his contract his contract to be front loaded. The whole thing just seems weird. Given the contract he signed, it appeared that long term security, coupled with a chance to play for a competitive hockey team in the NHL were of paramount importance to Kovalchuk. It seems like he just gave up on all of that. He went crazy, but he'll probably be better off this way.