Bergeron

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Bergeron

Not that this will be a great, controversial thread, but I had a quick look at the playoff stats this morning and they confirm what we already knew from watching him make plays like the pass to Marchand for the game winner: he is playing as well as any player in these playoffs.

He leads the playoffs in Even Strength points with 14 (and he missed two games)
    Only Sedin and Lecavalier have more road points - both in more games.
    He's a point back of Chara for the +/- lead.
    63% on faceoffs.
    Second among Bruins forwards in hits (32) and second on the team in shots (43)

That's the kind of performance that people should remember, but is too easily missed on a team like the Bruins where the top line runs torrid and frigid, the goaltender twitches like a meth head one minute and moves as precisely as a ShaoLin monk the next, and a 19 yr old phenom explodes on national TV.  If they win game six tonight, it will probably have more to do with Bergeron's effort than most casual fans will know.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Re: Bergeron

...the goaltender twitches like a meth head one minute and moves as precisely as a ShaoLin monk the next, and a 19 yr old phenom explodes on national TV.

Maybe the single funniest/most on-spot line I've ever read on this forum.

As to your point about Bergeron, it can't be made strongly enough or emphasized enough. Should the Bruins win this series I think it's pretty clear he should be named the MVP (altho' that honor will likely go to TT and you could make that case)...but think of this: If the Bruins do win the eastern conference finals, Bergeron could easily be MVP EVEN THOUGH HE MISSED THE FIRST TWO GAMES OF THE SERIES.

That's simply remarkable.

Go Bruins!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

Don't think he's being overlooked, at least not at the media level, nor his teammates. They are all acknowledging his greatness in the playoffs. But kudo's to the team for continuing to win without him while he was down for a couple of games. That's what a Cup contending team does; win even when they are without arguably their best player.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I have to agree.  Another thing of note here is how out of sorts they looked at times in the two games he was out.  Both games seemed wide open for the Bruins and the "system" seemed totally broken without him.  Compare to game 3 when he came back. 

You're right about his value being somewhat hidden on this team because if you say they are lost without him, you'd probably have to say the same about Chara and Thomas (and they couldn't win a playoff game last year without Krejci).  The name of the game for the Bruins is team and depth, yet Bergeron still stands out remarkedly. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

What's funny is I remember all the threads in the middle of last season from posters wanting him to be traded, saying he'll never be the same player he was before the concussion. Good thing they weren't in the front office.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

How many threads were there in November and December saying Bergeron was being over paid ? Patrice's play in the Stanley Cup up against the Sedin Twins and Burrows will be key when Bergeron is in his puck possession game Henrik can't find Daniel if they don't have the puck. When Patrice is on his game which he has been the Sedin twins will be shaking their heads.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

It may be that I'm in Van, but all the Conn Smythe talk I hear is about either Kesler or Henrik, despite the fact Patrice is neck and neck with them (if not better) in every statistical category that matters, despite playing 4 fewer games. I don't think he actually is getting the respect he's due.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: Bergeron:
    [QUOTE]It may be that I'm in Van, but all the Conn Smythe talk I hear is about either Kesler or Henrik, despite the fact Patrice is neck and neck with them (if not better) in every statistical category that matters, despite playing 4 fewer games. I don't think he actually is getting the respect he's due.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Most people I talk to from VAN think that either TB or Bos would get swept by VAN. Also that Kesler is 2nd coming and that Boston has no talent/depth and only get by on because TT is a magical leprichuan(may be true)...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]How many threads were there in November and December saying Bergeron was being over paid ? Patrice's play in the Stanley Cup up against the Sedin Twins and Burrows will be key when Bergeron is in his puck possession game Henrik can't find Daniel if they don't have the puck. When Patrice is on his game which he has been the Sedin twins will be shaking their heads.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Hope you;re right but can we PLEASE get by Tampa Bay first??? I'm really trying to fight against the superstition/don't anger the Hockey Gods thing here......

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Most Bruins fans know what Bergy means to this team, even the casuals.  That being said, I would still be trying to draft bigger, elite centermen because of his glass jaw.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

The problem is that Bergeron is the largest forward on the ice of the top 9  unless he's playing with Lucic or Horton which is rare. As the best faceoff guy and the best defensive top 9 (probably overall) guy he's out there a lot and gets whacked because he is always where the opponents need to be. 

[QUOTE]Most Bruins fans know what Bergy means to this team, even the casuals.  That being said, I would still be trying to draft bigger, elite centermen because of his glass jaw.
    Posted by bim09[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeg4. Show jeg4's posts

Bergeron is the best player on the team, by far,  and one of the top 15 best all around players in the league.

It sort of annoys me that he is constantly overlooked.  Take last game for instance, Bergeron made that great pass to Marchand and all anyone could talk about was TT and the save.  That save was pure luck, Downie happened to put the puck the only place TT could have put his stick.  On the other hand, Bergeron's pass was a GREAT hockey play.  He didn't just fire it across, his head was up the entire time and he was able to put the puck in the only place from which Marchand could have scored.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bhanlon156. Show bhanlon156's posts

TT will win the Conn Smythe if the B's take it home, but with all due respect to the goalie, Bergeron is the best player on the team by a lot.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

So often the blogs were negative on Bergeron, and some of us countered with perceptions that he was among the best players in the NHL. Just recognize how much extra he does to compensate for Recchi's failings; plus how well he has nurtured Marchand. he is, and has been, one of Boston's elite players.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Bergeron:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bergeron : Hope you;re right but can we PLEASE get by Tampa Bay first??? I'm really trying to fight against the superstition/don't anger the Hockey Gods thing here......Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

That's the passive-aggressive style of yours it leaves you an out if the Bruins lose "see I told you with JJ at the reigns!" thought you had turned that corner. Hockey gods smocky gods have some confidence jeeze what will it take for you ?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigChara. Show BigChara's posts

Few players are as strong in ALL areas the way 37 is. The guy simply does everything well. A very smart player. KEEP HIM!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from olsonstephanie. Show olsonstephanie's posts

Many people forget how awesome Bergy was when he played for Team Canada with Sidney Crosby as a linemate.  He actually made Crosby "better".  Sort of like Zdeno Chara.  He makes his defenceman partner better than he actually is.  
    Every French-Canadian in Montreal is wondering ... How the heck did the Bruins pluck the best French dude from our backyard!  Hahaha.  Love it.... 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from golden9x2. Show golden9x2's posts

imagine if Bergeron didnt have to be dragged down by Recchi and that anchor he skates with( despite his guiles accumulated over 20 plus years,)......

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Couldthisbetheyear. Show Couldthisbetheyear's posts

I can't wait to see Bergy skating around TD Garden with the cup in game 6.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgauthier1975. Show mgauthier1975's posts

Anyone who doesn't realize how good Bergy is doesn't know hockey. Imagine if he hadn't missed a season (and was 1/2 his usual self for another) how good he would be?

Also imagine if he wasn't playing with Mark Recchi's corpse on one of his wings (love and respect Recchi but it's sad to see him out there now). Maybe Seguin's his full time wing next year?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Not only is he in beast mode, but Bergeron has clearly stepped up his play in the playoffs. Can't ask for more from the guy. On numbers alone:

3.07 shots per game in playoffs
    vs.
    2.63 shots per game in regular season

1.07 points per game in playoffs
    vs.
    0.7125 points per game in regular season

I like that he's being a bit more selfish, too. Taking shots when there's a sniff of an opportunity. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that the top players are also the guys who are generating shots. Not too many slouches on this list:

Games G A P Shots
    1 Daniel Sedin VAN L 18 8 8 16 72
    2 James van Riemsdyk PHI L 11 7 0 7 70
    3 Dan Boyle SJS D 18 4 12 16 67
    4 Devin Setoguchi SJS R 18 7 3 10 65
    5 Logan Couture SJS C 18 7 7 14 64
    6 Patrick Marleau SJS L 18 7 6 13 59
    7 Ryan Kesler VAN C 18 7 11 18 58
    8 Joe Pavelski SJS C 18 5 5 10 58
    9 Vincent Lecavalier TBL C 16 6 11 17 54
    10 Zdeno Chara BOS D 15 2 3 5 52
    11 Alexandre Burrows VAN L 18 7 7 14 49
    12 Joe Thornton SJS C 18 3 14 17 48
    13 Dany Heatley SJS R 18 3 6 9 47
    14 Danny Briere PHI R 11 7 2 9 47
    15 Sean Bergenheim TBL L 16 9 2 11 46
    16 Michael Richards PHI C 11 1 6 7 43
    17 Patric Hornqvist NSH R 12 2 1 3 43
    18 Patrice Bergeron BOS C 14 4 11 15 43
    19 Martin St Louis TBL R 16 8 9 17 43
    20 Alexander Edler VAN D 18 2 7 9 42
    21 Steven Stamkos TBL C 16 5 5 10 41
    22 Dennis Seidenberg BOS D 16 1 7 8 41
    23 Ian White SJS D 17 1 8 9 40
    24 Mason Raymond VAN L 18 2 6 8 40
    25 Brad Marchand BOS C 16 6 6 12 40

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Between Bergy & Big Z the B's just aren't the same without them in the line-up. It's the confidence thing. Remember how the B's looked without Chara in the Habs series ? Like a deer in the headlights. These two are the glue that holds the Bruins together. Go B's !!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bergeron : That's the passive-aggressive style of yours it leaves you an out if the Bruins lose "see I told you with JJ at the reigns!" thought you had turned that corner. Hockey gods smocky gods have some confidence jeeze what will it take for you ?
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

It's "shmocky", not "smocky"...and I'm nowhere NEAR talking about JJ rants...I HAVE turned the corner (or did my Mea Culpa of admission that I bailed too early after the Mtl. comeback not convince you?)...I'M JUST SUPERSTITIOUS AND DON'T WANT TO TEMPT FATE IS ALL!.*..(He didn't mean it, Hockey Gods...SanDog is just a very confident Bruins fan....sure, he's jumping the gun a bit...but please don't hold that against the B's...Tampa already got a Cup recently...you know how long it's been for the Bruins...OK...are we cool? Thanks!)

* In "real life" I'm a rock-solid agnostic.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Totally understand the superstition...but you know, it does work both ways.  You gotta stay humble when you start to get that feeling that maybe the hockey gods are smiling on you.