Bettman Wants Seattle Expansion Team By 2014/15:Report

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Bettman Wants Seattle Expansion Team By 2014/15:Report

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/31/report-new-coyotes-buyers-finances-being-questioned/

"It’s never not interesting off the ice for the Phoenix Coyotes.

Mike Sunnucks of the Phoenix Business Journal reports that some financing for the deal to sell the team to Renaissance Sports and Entertainment (aka: Ice Arizona) has fallen through.

Sunnucks cites two sources close to the situation who say funding has either not been finalized or has been dropped completely from the deal. The group has until August 5 to finalize the purchase."

1. Now we know why the chatter about Seattle sprung up.

2. Paul Allen doesn't need finance.

Just get the Yotes out of there already

PS.  "Seattle HyperHippies" Hilarious!

Oh for ****'s sake!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

You know, I started following this crazy mess when it started because I thought it may be a way for us to get the Jets back to thePeg. Two years later when we got the Thrashers, I conitnued to follow it out of morbid curiousity. But now the Jets are about to start their third season and this thing still isn't solved. This has gone beyond ludicrous.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Only problem with the Sockeyes?  Can't farm Sockeye.

Are you not entertained?!?!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I've been staunchly in favor of the Sockeyes.  Great sounding name, relevant to the region, and a symbol of fierce persistence in the over-dammed rivers of the Pacific Northwest.

Cool hockey name to boot.

I always wanted to name a team the Saint John Smelt. Trust me, you'd think that was funnier if you were from here.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to jpBsSoxFan's comment:

[QUOTE]

I hope the people in Seattle don't hold their breath. How about let's fix the teams we have now before worrying about creating expansion teams to a league who's talent is already watered down.

Which teams need to be fixed?

Even Phoenix looks like it's turning a corner.  (<---- been said 100,000 times before)

[/QUOTE]

Minny lost 30 million last year.   10 teams keep the league floating.  Florida is a joke.  Get rid of them.  expansion is nice when it works but too many teams in southern areas dont care.   Hamilton QC and Seattle will do fine.  The coyotes are a joke.  If teams are winning its great.  When they are losing the buildings are empty. Ie dallas stars.    There will be more fans in seattle from canada at each of those gms but enough of a base to keep it going.  Wisconsin i think would be interesting.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

[QUOTE]

I've been staunchly in favor of the Sockeyes.  Great sounding name, relevant to the region, and a symbol of fierce persistence in the over-dammed rivers of the Pacific Northwest.

I always wanted to name a team the Saint John Smelt. Trust me, you'd think that was funnier if you were from here.

[/QUOTE]

I think a maritime team would work.  Mooseheads get a better draw then some nhl teams.  Some huge sponsors in tim hortins(ron joyce), sobeys and irving.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Any team in Seattle is doomed.

Here's the "Most Miserable Sports Cities" list!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

..and, the name of the Junior "B" team in my home city.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Bad owners have nothing to do with the city that supports there team. Sonics had terrible owners in the end before they moved and won a championship in 1979. The Seahawks got absolutely robbed in 2005 but are trending upwards with pom pon Pete. Disagree with the Forbes writer all the way around.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Bad owners have nothing to do with the city that supports there team. Sonics had terrible owners in the end before they moved and won a championship in 1979. The Seahawks got absolutely robbed in 2005 but are trending upwards with pom pon Pete. Disagree with the Forbes writer all the way around.

I hear he's jacked and pumped.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Don't need a cheerleader with Pete around.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Footnote on the last expansion draft - Bruins lost Mats Timander and Steve Heinze, both to Columbus.  The 'Jackets dealt Heinze to Buffalo that year for a meaningless third rounder, and Heinze had his best NHL season - 27 goals between the two teams and 54 points.  The Wild didn't take any Bruins, but a lot of guys with Bruin connections were drafted: Sean O'Donnell, Kevyn Adams, Jeff Odgers, Joe Juneau and Cam Stewart. [O'Donnell was a Bruin after his time in Minnesota].

So - how bad were those Bruin teams of the mid-late 90s that so many guys who had played for them weren't even worth protecting in an expansion draft?

I'd vote for the Seattle Hipsters or, better yet, the PNW Whatevers....

The worst expansion loss for the Bs - Ed Westfall to the Islanders in 1972.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

...funny, Dez...especially if they play on the West side of town.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LMAO!!! I think smelts smell better than Saint John Dez!! WinkTongue Out Kanabacasis, Lancaster, Quispam & Hamilton are decent area's though. I may have asked you this before Dez, but is the 3 mile still up & running? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[/QUOTE]

The worst expansion loss for the Bs - Ed Westfall to the Islanders in 1972.

[/QUOTE]

I think losing Bernie Parent, Doug Favel, Dan Bouchard, Reggie Leach & Rick McLeich was worse than losing Westfall.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LMAO!!! I think smelts smell better than Saint John Dez!! WinkTongue Out Kanabacasis, Lancaster, Quispam & Hamilton are decent area's though. I may have asked you this before Dez, but is the 3 mile still up & running? 

[/QUOTE]

It is running Nite but it's just not the same anymore. Probably because I'm old now though I suppose.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Davinator's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

...funny, Dez...especially if they play on the West side of town.

[/QUOTE]

Our city motto could easily be, "don't worry. You get used to the smell">

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

That'd be perfect for a CFL team dez, fit right in with rest of the loopy names - I still have no clue what a Roughrider, let alone a Rough Rider, is (though I'm sure some of you have dated a few).

The St. John Smelt wouldn't even be the worst double entendre. Montreal's name translates to "Larks" which in English is a synonym for Jokes - the Montreal Alouettes can be translated to Montreal Jokes.

Smelt would be way better ;)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to 49-North's comment:

..and, the name of the Junior "B" team in my home city.

I was just at Minoru Park this morning.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

OT: I am highly amused that the Chris DeBurgh cover has lasted this long.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

OT: I am highly amused that the Chris DeBurgh cover has lasted this long.

It's grown on me in a very odd retro kinda way.

Btw Book, you can farm sockeye because you can farm Kokanee - kokanee is the same as a sockeye except they're landlocked, but it's the same fish, Oncorhynchus nerka. The Desmoines Kokanees? (And there have been some damn weird asides in this thread)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to red75's comment:

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

I've read the history of hockey in that city dates back to 1915 with the Seattle Metropolitans of the Pacific Coast Hockey Association.  Hockey is in their public consciousness.  I've searched some articles to see if I can find who the deep pockets are who'll provide the $275 million fee.  No luck so far. 

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/31/gary-bettman-wants-nhl-expansion-team-in-seattle-by-2014-15-report

RHO there's a powerhouse of a possibility who has expressed wanting to own a team in Seattle, Don Levin.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-12-25/sports/ct-spt-1225-levin-wolves-chicago--20121225_1_don-levin-stanley-cup-nhl

He's the owner of the Chicago Wolves and a tobacco magnate, and he's been in previous talks with Hansen on how they could work together in Seattle.

Also, the NHL teams exclusivity rights are 50 miles - Seattle is outside that zone and would owe Vancouver no indemnity. 

And I've said it before, Seattle should be a solid market. Unlike most expansion teams since the early 90's (Ottawa and Minnesota being notable exceptions) they'd be going into an existing hockey market, with fairly easy access to an additional market in Canada drawing some fans from White Rock, Langley and Abbotsford possibly. I know that I'd go down for a few games - I'd rather watch the Seattle whatevers at a reasonable price than pay though the nose to watch the Vancouver divers.

Cheers, red.  I wasn't aware of Levin but as the article said, he made a $500 million offer for the Habs so clearly money's not a problem - also mentioned in said writing was the league pretty much rolling out the welcome mat for him should he purchase a franchise.  Also appreciate the indemnity info.  I was wondering about that but it would seem if Levin were to own the team and an indemnity were actually owed his humongous wallet could handle it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Maybe a logo like this?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Like what?

;)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Like what?

;)

Dang technology.