Bettman Wants Seattle Expansion Team By 2014/15:Report

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Bettman Wants Seattle Expansion Team By 2014/15:Report

This one has a similar idea, though I don't know what's with that weird beak.

http://s3images.coroflot.com/user_files/individual_files/original_309229_UztavTIro2CdDnEq_UGcH5W89.jpg

Sockeyes gives you two interesting colour schemes - either the red and green, or the ocean blue and silver (spawning and ocean colours) Both are pretty good schemes depending how they're used.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

I was to Red, but Bill Daley has said that Kansas is a front runner, because of their shown interest & preparedness. 

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

They have the Sprint Center waiting for them, nite.

File:Sprint Center Kansas City Missouri.jpg

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Pretty cool fighting fish!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to red75's comment:

This one has a similar idea, though I don't know what's with that weird beak.

http://s3images.coroflot.com/user_files/individual_files/original_309229_UztavTIro2CdDnEq_UGcH5W89.jpg

Sockeyes gives you two interesting colour schemes - either the red and green, or the ocean blue and silver (spawning and ocean colours) Both are pretty good schemes depending how they're used.

They look pretty cool, red.  Should an animal be part of the nickname, it's probably gonna have to look mean.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

I like it.  Looks like something that guy from River Monsters has caught.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

[QUOTE]

They look pretty cool, red.  Should an animal be part of the nickname, it's probably gonna have to look mean.

You mean like this?

http://i.imgur.com/k8ta93N.gif

;)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]

You mean like this?

http://i.imgur.com/k8ta93N.gif

;)

I was thinking more along the lines of the animals (i.e., fish) mentioned as potentials for the Seattle team but yeah, ya got me!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

(And there have been some damn weird asides in this thread)

This is one of my favorite threads of the summer so far. I love the irreverence this group brings to conversations like this. Nicely done, compadres.

1. That sockeye logo RHO posted is crazy good. Absolutely love it. Would maybe incorporate green, red, white, gold, black all intertwined into a native-american styling of a sockeye could be fantastic. Very Chicago-esque but still unique. Gonna have to fight an ultimate frisbee team for it. I bet they don't put up much of a struggle, though. Because, you know, they're a frisbee team. http://labordayultimate.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/sockeye.jpg

2. If Book gets his way, they can hire this guy to draw the logo, or whatever: http://www.horriblelogos.com/about/

http://www.horriblelogos.com/

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

OT: I am highly amused that the Chris DeBurgh cover has lasted this long.

Are you not entertained?!?!

It's grown on me in a very odd retro kinda way.

Btw Book, you can farm sockeye because you can farm Kokanee - kokanee is the same as a sockeye except they're landlocked, but it's the same fish, Oncorhynchus nerka. The Desmoines Kokanees? (And there have been some damn weird asides in this thread)

Aaand, to continue the weird asides: I was under the impression that you couldn't call it sockeye if it was farmed.  Blame my mother in law who always goes on and on about how she only ever buys sockeye salmon because then she knows it isn't farmed.  Truer to say that, until this year, there was no in-land sockeye farming, as sockeye at least.  Can't wait to bust that one out the next time she's way up there on her high horse.

How about the Northwest Nerkas?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

That bear always looks completely self-aware to me.  Look on his face seems to say "What in the F..K are you thinking?"

asmaha - that guy would do a perferct version of the Whatevers logo!

Are you not entertained?!?!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

That's my team!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

My take on a Seattle team name:  Everyone seems to be going with alliterative names.  "Seattle S_____".   There are only four alliterative names in the league: Bruins, Flyers, Penguins and Sharks.  Since many Seattle teams employ(ed) it -- Seahawks, Sounders, Sonics -- maybe it's a good idea to go away from the "S.S." pattern.

Given that Boeing is one of the biggest employers in Seattle, it's a shame that "Jets" is already taken. 

Perhaps, like the Sounders, they can take a cue from a local landmark: Rainiers (also a nod to the fact that it rains a lot in these parts); or Cascades (from the mountain range, and also acknowledging the moniker given to the general PNW area: "Cascadia").

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:

This is one of my favorite threads of the summer so far. I love the irreverence this group brings to conversations like this. Nicely done, compadres.

1. That sockeye logo RHO posted is crazy good. Absolutely love it. Would maybe incorporate green, red, white, gold, black all intertwined into a native-american styling of a sockeye could be fantastic. Very Chicago-esque but still unique. Gonna have to fight an ultimate frisbee team for it. I bet they don't put up much of a struggle, though. Because, you know, they're a frisbee team. http://labordayultimate.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/sockeye.jpg

That is one badass-looking salmon, asmaha. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to 49-North's comment:

My take on a Seattle team name:  Everyone seems to be going with alliterative names.  "Seattle S_____".   There are only four alliterative names in the league: Bruins, Flyers, Penguins and Sharks.  Since many Seattle teams employ(ed) it -- Seahawks, Sounders, Sonics -- maybe it's a good idea to go away from the "S.S." pattern.

Given that Boeing is one of the biggest employers in Seattle, it's a shame that "Jets" is already taken. 

Perhaps, like the Sounders, they can take a cue from a local landmark: Rainiers (also a nod to the fact that it rains a lot in these parts); or Cascades (from the mountain range, and also acknowledging the moniker given to the general PNW area: "Cascadia").

Should Seattle land a team, do you think there's a chance they'll be named the Metropolitans, perhaps Metros for short as a homage to the 1915 team?  Sure, there's going to be a division with the same name but what are your thoughts?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]

Should Seattle land a team, do you think there's a chance they'll be named the Metropolitans, perhaps Metros for short as a homage to the 1915 team?  Sure, there's going to be a division with the same name but what are your thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

I like the acknowledgment of Seattle's hockey history.  I'd be perfectly happy with the Seattle Metropolitans -- Metros? -- Mets? (no)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Best suggesting of the thread.  Like the Senators in Ottawa, the Metropolitans is a historical name for hockey in Seattle.  On top of that, it takes all of the market research and fear out of the process.

They don't want to end up with a name that everyone hates (looking at you, Columbus).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Best suggesting of the thread.  Like the Senators in Ottawa, the Metropolitans is a historical name for hockey in Seattle.  On top of that, it takes all of the market research and fear out of the process.

They don't want to end up with a name that everyone hates (looking at you, Columbus).

Would be a nice touch linking the original team with the present day franchise.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I like the acknowledgment of Seattle's hockey history.  I'd be perfectly happy with the Seattle Metropolitans -- Metros? -- Mets? (no)

I like the sound of it.  I can also see an outline of the Seattle skyline somehow incorporated into their logo.  And you're right.  Forget Metros and Mets. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

The Devils look to be the new Coyotes

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=429396#YourCallTop