Big bad Bruins, bullies?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: Big bad Bruins, bullies?

In Response to Re: Big bad Bruins, bullies?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Big bad Bruins, bullies? : Sorry Legion. I saw Ward saying that the other night and wondered if he would question where that mentality was when Walker was sucker-punching him.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's what I hollered when I heard him calling the Bruins bullies. I get what you'r saying.  
    What Ward said is exactly what I've been hearing " Bruins couldn't bully a win the other night.... "  News flash Bruins don't win games because they are bullies. BTW good post 49north,  I just wonder if you're in the minority in your neck of the woods .

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Big bad Bruins, bullies? : Yeah that's what I hollered when I heard him calling the Bruins bullies. I get what you'r saying.   What Ward said is exactly what I've been hearing " Bruins couldn't bully a win the other night.... "  News flash Bruins don't win games because they are bullies. BTW good post 49north,  I just wonder if you're in the minority in your neck of the woods .
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

About Luongo?  Or about the Bruins/bullies thing? 

I would say that there's a fairly strong sentiment now in VanCity that this is Lou's last chance.  We've always been known as a "goalie's graveyard" type of City -- there are only 2 goalies still spoken of with reverence (McLean & Brodeur), and even though Lou's taken the team the same distance as they both have (Cup Finals), there's a definite sense that Lou lost the series, rather than the Bruins winning it.  I don't share that sentiment, at least not 100%, but we're talking about public perception here.  As we all know, the fan base in any strong hockey market is more than bit knee-jerk in its reactions to anything, so a couple of weak starts by Lou in October are more than enough to get the "Monday morning GMs" going.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Big bad Bruins, bullies? : Always hurt or always lose.......hmmmmmm, what to do? You're right. A deal involving either is less likely than a Leafs cup in.

I keep bringing this up as well.  I think edmonton is absolutely a perfect fit for him.   He shined when he faced lots of rubber back in his florida days.  Edmonton has terrible defense.  I say it is a perfect match.  Edmonton wouldnt be required to deal much away.  They might be able to get rid of Horcoff in the deal and thats a win win and actually could help Van and it would lower their cap. 
    Horcoff/Omark middle round pick for Loungo.  Loungo is embrassed by the best hockey fans in the world in edmonton and he helps a young core of super players reach the next level.
    I also like the Vinny for Lou deal.  Works on a variety of levels. 

I do feel bad for him.  He needs outta Van quickly.  He is a bigger goat than Bill Buckner. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Big bad Bruins, bullies? : About Luongo?  Or about the Bruins/bullies thing?  I would say that there's a fairly strong sentiment now in VanCity that this is Lou's last chance.  We've always been known as a "goalie's graveyard" type of City -- there are only 2 goalies still spoken of with reverence (McLean & Brodeur), and even though Lou's taken the team the same distance as they both have (Cup Finals), there's a definite sense that Lou lost the series, rather than the Bruins winning it.  I don't share that sentiment, at least not 100%, but we're talking about public perception here.  As we all know, the fan base in any strong hockey market is more than bit knee-jerk in its reactions to anything, so a couple of weak starts by Lou in October are more than enough to get the "Monday morning GMs" going.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

Bruin/bullies.

BTW Does Luongo have NTC ? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Big bad Bruins, bullies?:
    [QUOTE]Really ?  Why is it non-Bruin fans and media say the Bruins only win when they bully a team ? Is it because I'm a Bruins fan and don't see this ? Last playoffs I found teams like Montreal and Vancouver played tough and were even in the hit department in most games (especially at home they might have out hit the Bruns) . Why do they tag the Bruins this way ? I find the Bruins play physical with skill although very underestimated in the skill department and that's fine by me.  49 North do you see the Bruins as being bullies to win games ? 

BsL - This summer saw the Oilers sign the likes of Ben Eager, Darcy Hordichuk and Andy Sutton to join Theo Peckham.  Perhaps they were to replace the departed Jim Vandermeer, Colin Fraser and Steve MacIntyre.  I have yet to hear this club referred to as bully boys mainly because of where they reside in the standings? 

Those describing the B's in this manner look to diminish their success by attempting to identify what they believe is the singular method the club can win instead of acknowledging the versatility of the team in terms of the styles they can play. 

As a Bruin fan, I say so be it, bro.  Let others moan indefinitely as long as the B's remain at the top of the heap.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Big bad Bruins, bullies? : BsL - This summer saw the Oilers sign the likes of Ben Eager, Darcy Hordichuk and Andy Sutton to join Theo Peckham.  Perhaps they were to replace the departed Jim Vandermeer, Colin Fraser and Steve MacIntyre.  I have yet to hear this club referred to as bully boys mainly because of where they reside in the standings?  Those describing the B's in this manner look to diminish their success by attempting to identify what they believe is the singular method the club can win instead of acknowledging the versatility of the team in terms of the styles they can play.  As a Bruin fan, I say so be it, bro.  Let others moan indefinitely as long as the B's remain at the top of the heap.
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]
    RHO, truer words were never spoken.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Big bad Bruins, bullies? : RHO, truer words were never spoken.
    I second this, and proud of it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

To the OP, the facts are the facts.  If the Bruins were winning by 'bullying', it would be reflected to a fair degree in suspensions and fines wouldn't it?  I count 4 against the Bruins last year, 2 suspensions (total of 6 games) and 2 fines.  11 other teams got 2 or more suspensions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_NHL_suspensions_and_fines

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

dez, 50 - I find it laughable to have the Bruins referred to this way.  (Actually, I embrace it as a fan of the club.)  When Burke arrived on the scene up here and gave his now infamous "truculence, testosterone and belligerence" speech, Leaf Nation was heaping praise on the guy. 

Rallying cries of "Yeah!" were all over sports radio.  That he perhaps overestimated the talent of his team doesn't deflect the notion of a squad like the Bruins being the kind his Leafs still aspire to.  Seriously, people should attempt to find some more legit method to take down the B's like on the ice, for example.  Imagine the heat had the Bruins won the Cup playing in a manner like the Greg Louganis-worthy Canucks? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]To the OP, the facts are the facts.  If the Bruins were winning by 'bullying', it would be reflected to a fair degree in suspensions and fines wouldn't it?  I count 4 against the Bruins last year, 2 suspensions (total of 6 games) and 2 fines.  11 other teams got 2 or more suspensions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_NHL_suspensions_and_fines
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Exactly, BadHab. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Big bad Bruins, bullies? : Bruin/bullies. BTW Does Luongo have NTC ? 

Yes, I believe Lou has a NTC.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

and here we go again.
    Once again the Bruins win because they're dirty.
    On Toronto radio station when beating the Leafs they beat them 7-0 because they're dirty.
    The bullied the Sabres with that goon Lucic and it goes on and on ....
    Not because they have a superstar in the making and probably the best line in the NHL the past 10 days, matter of fact maybe the best first six forwards in the league ,  nor for their stellar goaltending.
    NO , THEY WIN BECAUSE THEY'RE DIRTY AND BULLIE THEIR WAY TO WINS.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Big bad Bruins, bullies?:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Big bad Bruins, bullies? : I feel bad for Lou right now. He's obviously got the skill-set to succeed in this league. It just seems he may not be the sharpest tool in the shed.

I don't not with that contract, he has no one else to blame with the amount of time that offensive juggernaut possesses the puck.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]and here we go again. Once again the Bruins win because they're dirty. On Toronto radio station when beating the Leafs they beat them 7-0 because they're dirty. The bullied the Sabres with that goon Lucic and it goes on and on .... Not because they have a superstar in the making and probably the best line in the NHL the past 10 days, matter of fact maybe the best first six forwards in the league ,  nor for their stellar goaltending. NO , THEY WIN BECAUSE THEY'RE DIRTY AND BULLIE THEIR WAY TO WINS.

Legion - On another thread I posted I'd listened to Damien Cox this this afternoon on THE FAN 590's Prime Time Sports.  He said he thought Lucic's post game comments of "We would have taken care of business..." were shrewdly worded as they "cut to the heart of the manhood of the Buffalo team as he basically called them all out saying 'Yeah!  I hit him.  So what are you going to do about it?" 

Cox also said he watched the 7-0 rout down at the ACC and noted up close to the action the Bruins were "big and mean."  Host Bob McCown said they were "dirty." I was thinking I couldn't remember the last time I heard a Bruin club spoken of like this. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins-Unite. Show Bruins-Unite's posts

It's easy to look like a bully when you're big and strong and your collisions do a lot of damage.  

And of course it's easy to hate a winning team. I'd rather be hated than pitied. Watching Buffalo vs. Montreal tonight, I felt pity. For both.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ingrizzlebizzles. Show ingrizzlebizzles's posts

This oughtta get the blood pumping. (haven't seen it posted here yet)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i'm all for the bully tag. this is not everyday life, where fighting and body checking are not allowed, or legal action will result. this is a full-contact physical sport where these things ARE PART OF THE GAME. some teams are built to be finesse teams, all skill, no grit- that's THEIR IDENTITY. the bruins are built to be bigger, tougher, more willing to engage- with skill to complement- that's THEIR IDENTITY. so to all those who label the bruins "bullies", you have two choices as i see it....1) accept the fact your smaller/weaker and continue to be bullied, or 2) get some players that are willing to sacrifice their bodies (and looks) for the team. so keep playing the victim, or DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! if the nhl is too rough/physical for you- there are plenty of teams in europe to play on.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]This oughtta get the blood pumping. (haven't seen it posted here yet) http://realsports.ca/blog/the-punk-test/
    Posted by ingrizzlebizzles[/QUOTE]

That's one nice montage!  thanks

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

They are bullies. They're physical with you to see how you respond, if you do they beat you down. If you don't respond, they continue to be physical and score goals on you. They're called the Big Bad Bruins for a reason. And, I love it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

This article by Steve Dangle fit this thread:  http://realsports.ca/blog/the-punk-test/

some interestiong quotes:

After what Bruins forward Milan Lucic did to Ryan Miller the other day, I am convinced that the Boston Bruins are giving the other 29 teams in the NHL the punk test. So far, everybody has failed it.

One point many have raised is something along the lines of “can you imagine if the Sabres had done something similar to Bruins goalie Tim Thomas?”

No, I can’t.

Alex Burrows tried to fight back against Tim Thomas during the Stanley Cup Final this past June, and Thomas, along with his Boston teammates, nipped that in the bud immediately.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i understand it's something we'll never know for sure... but i truly believe TT in miller's shoes would have popped up to his feet and squared off with lucic. he could do this KNOWING his whole team would come to his defense. that's the difference between the bruins and a lot of other "finesse" teams. they all have each others back. i think this team started to gain this identity in the wake of the savvy hit. a little late for savvy, but who can control what cooke does. no one, not even cooke himself can do that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Like it or not, the Bruins are perceived by many as a bully team, but I don't really care.

I think it's incorrect to label the Bruins as bullies or to say they can only win by playing as such, but the Bruins' team-toughness is what the media focuses on and that is what settles in the minds of all those who don't watch the team on a frequent basis. This "image" was solidified during the finals -- and, heck, the Bruins did bully the Canucks throughout that series, rightly or wrongly (rightly).

Compounding matters is that the Bruins have had some epic battles and forged solid rivalries with a number of franchises, including those with the two biggest fan bases and almost half the Canadian teams.