Blind side hit much? Raffi Torres

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Blind side hit much? Raffi Torres

You see Shupe it could happen to anyone.  This is how the game has changed.
    This used to be a clean hit. Now it's blind side, Raffi should know better.
    I'll also point out you cannot compare this hit to Cooke's on Savard . Raffi keeps his arms stuck to his body contrarily to what Cooke did by lifting his arm making sure he gets the head. This is what everyone bringing up that Cooke's hit with no suspension using that here was no rule against it.  I say BS to that !  Just for the fact that Cooke made sure he got the head he should've been suspended.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/06/raffi-torres-lays-out-jordan-eberle-with-shot-to-the-head/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Blind side hit much? Raffi Torres

In Response to Blind side hit much? Raffi Torres:
    [QUOTE]You see Shupe it could happen to anyone.  This is how the game has changed. This used to be a clean hit. Now it's blind side, Raffi should know better. I'll also point out you cannot compare this hit to Cooke's on Savard . Raffi keeps his arms stuck to his body contrarily to what Cooke did by lifting his arm making sure he gets the head. This is what everyone bringing up that Cooke's hit with no suspension using that here was no rule against it.  I say BS to that !  Just for the fact that Cooke made sure he got the head he should've been suspended. http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/06/raffi-torres-lays-out-jordan-eberle-with-shot-to-the-head/
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]
    I started a thread about Shupes boy earlier.Either way BsLeg,I think the hit looked OK.If this hit ends with a suspension,it spells the beginning of the end for body-contact in hockey.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I thought Cooke should not have been suspended for the form of his hit, but for Gross Misconduct and Intent to Injure.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Here is the thing:  When I played, we were TAUGHT to hit like that!  Yes, the league has changed a LOT just from last year, but I dont think its a dirty hit to be honest with you.  Torres is CLEARLY going for Eberle, who just lost the puck off his stick (its only a few feet in front of him) and if Eberle isnt reaching forward like he is, there is NO contact with the head.  AND Eberle sees the hit coming. 

I dont know what the league is going to do honestly.  Theyve lost me with the way they discipline guys.  The Cooke elbow that got him the rest of the years wasnt much of a hit so I just dont know anymore.

For me personally, I worry about guys NOT hitting in fear of being suspended.  A dirty hit is one thing, and 99% of the time obvious.  THIS is not a dirty hit in my opinion.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

I have no problem with that hit.  Torres was going for the open ice hit, Eberle leaned forward toward the puck last second which made his head the point of impact instead of his chest.  I don't think that was an intentional head shot by Torres at all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Such a beautiful hit. I hate Torres but he is right. Most hits now would of been beauts back in the day (not all but a lot of them). The problem is the equipment is what makes them dangerous.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Blind side hit much? Raffi Torres:
    [QUOTE]Such a beautiful hit. I hate Torres but he is right. Most hits now would of been beauts back in the day (not all but a lot of them). The problem is the equipment is what makes them dangerous.
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

This must be a huge reason.  Almost every big and a player is dizzy now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Yes, we were taught to get a player when they are not suspecting, we would cheer and we would blame the player for having his head down.  The equipment is an issue, and so are players who attempt to injure by going straight for a player's head and nothing else (Cooke).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

It's bordering on dirty. 

He sort of allows his elbow to follow through at the end. If he just leans in with his shoulder, it's totally clean.  It's borderline.  When I first saw it, it looked clean to me, but it's hard to ignore the elbow being extended as a follow through.

The guy had his head down and it was bang/bang on the puck.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Blind side hit much? Raffi Torres : This must be a huge reason.  Almost every big and a player is dizzy now.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]
    You look at guys like Phaneuf(robocop). Guys never looked like that with equipment. No wonder concussions are on the rise and people are getting injuries. Another reason I believe are players are putting themselves in vulnerable position to try and get penalties. Not saying they shouldn't but I think it just adds to it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

The whole point of the Cooke rule is to prevent blindside hits to the head right?  What does blindside mean?  That the target can't see the guy coming.  Looked to me that Eberle saw Torres coming, and braced himself too.  This is one of those hits that looks worse than it was, I think.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

They should also make it a penalty to extend and reach for the puck like Eberle was doing.

Eberle, Savard, The kid Paille hit and many many others would not have suffered such bad headshots if they didnt put themselves in a prone position by reaching for rather than skating too the puck.

I was always taught that its just as fast to take one more step and get the puck than it is to extend and reach for it like that, also you want get SMOKED because your offbalance reaching for the puck. I dont like the way this league is heading in 5 years everyone is going to be turning the backs along the wall and reaching for pucks hoping that if anyone hits them they get a 5min misconduct.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

basically the same hit as Pail earlier the year.

A hockey hit turned bad by circumstances outside normal parameters, such as player leaning forward.

The old days you pummelled said player, now you let him go, Torres will get 3, should get life (underacheiving gobshiite-lol)

Shup is not here to respond, he is at the meeting representing Torres with differeny angle cameras brought from the crowd, to prove it was not Raffi but another grassy knoll scenario.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Well kind of harsh. Raffi got 2 regular season and 2 playoff game suspension.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

They are starting to steepen, coming from the media not actually playing the game.  How quick ex players forget what can happen and the quickness, yet they get on their showcase and condemn hard playing players that just miss the right hit.

The hitting in this league is going to take a big step backwards, could become a league that every day is an all-star type game day.

Gretz`s records won`t last long then.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Just watched the Torres hit, thought it was a blatent elbow.  It deserved a suspension now or ten years ago.  No need to charge at a guy with your elbow up.  Nothing like the Paille hit.  That one was a blindside that was otherwise clean.  The Torres hit was not a blindside, but his elbow was up well before contact.  Elbow down, no head contact, no problems.  He deserves his four games for intending to injure and for being a jerk.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I pretty much agree with Legion -- I didn't think it was that bad.  Torres chose to play the man instead of the puck.  Eberle had his head down.  Torres looked like he got down low and really tried to take the body (not the head), but his elbow still made contact with the head, so maybe he'll be suspended.

The excuse for not suspending Matt Cooke because there was no rule against his hit was always a joke.  Targeting the head got Lucic suspended on Lapierre as described by Colin Campbell.  'Intent to Injure' has been on the books for years and can be a suspendable offense.  Cooke hit no part of Savard except the side of the face, despite having time to line up his target from the blindside.

Torres on the other hand looks like he is really trying to take the body, but Eberle is bent over so far it's impossible.

Maybe give him a game for the elbow contact, but it sure didn't look he was trying to elbow him in the head to me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Elbow to the head. 

Dirty.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

4 games, what a freakin joke!  This league is going down the crapper, FAST!  Honest to god, from someone who has played organized hockey since age 4 through college, if the league starts cracking down on body checks and suspending guys for hits like this and ALLOWS players to put themselves in vulnerable positions, Ill stop watching hockey, no joke.  And Ive only missed 3 Bruins games in 13 seasons, but I recorded them and watched them as soon as I could.  I watch about 200 games a season. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

BsL,

You know I like Torres but I have always called a spade a spade.  Its the type of hit they want to eliminate and it was elbow meeting head.  Back in the day this isnt a penalty.  In todays hockey its a 4 game suspension.  I am not a big fan of suspending him 4 games...

I have stated this on other threads....Van is prime to be bumped in the 1st round.  If the Ducks draw them I am loading up on them in the playoff draft.  No Manny and No Torres combined with a back end with lots of injuries means they are pretty much the same team as last year.  Getz.Perry.Ryan can easily match Gazoo's.  If Emery can be steady I think they beat them.  I also think Chicago can take them out.   Van is in trouble.

My Torres bonus round has to wait for game 3.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]BsL, You know I like Torres but I have always called a spade a spade.  Its the type of hit they want to eliminate and it was elbow meeting head.  Back in the day this isnt a penalty.  In todays hockey its a 4 game suspension.  I am not a big fan of suspending him 4 games... I have stated this on other threads....Van is prime to be bumped in the 1st round.  If the Ducks draw them I am loading up on them in the playoff draft.  No Manny and No Torres combined with a back end with lots of injuries means they are pretty much the same team as last year.  Getz.Perry.Ryan can easily match Gazoo's.  If Emery can be steady I think they beat them.  I also think Chicago can take them out.   Van is in trouble. My Torres bonus round has to wait for game 3.
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

shupe- kind of surprised by your light reaction to this, given how you have gone after Marchand so hard on other threads.  From an edge perspective, is there really a huge difference between how Torres and Marchand play the game? 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Well after watching all the video and interviews I think the plays are a bit different as are all plays. 
    Not sure you watched the interview with Torres or his GM.  Both are defending it.  Saying Eberle was searching for pucks at the end of a long shift and actually had a chance to get his arm up.  Again, I am not defending Torres.  and if you actually go into the history f my posts you will find that I didnt really blast him hat much for the suspension.  Yes he deserved it and yes it was after months of saying he has been playing cheap.  But of all the stuff he has done that hit was the least of the things I have been calling him out on. 

Torres isnt a repeat offender.  Thats pretty remarkable considering the style he plays.  He isnt a dirty player either and will drop the gloves. 
    Was his hit a suspension...yes it was.  But how does Brad get 2 games and Torres 4.  Where is the consistancy.  Heatley`s was far worse because he intentionally stuck the chicken wing out.

Anyway, Torres will now be able to watch his team for 4 games.  I dont think he deserved that much.  But it is what it is.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

[QUOTE]Here is the thing:  When I played, we were TAUGHT to hit like that!  Yes, the league has changed a LOT just from last year, but I dont think its a dirty hit to be honest with you.  Torres is CLEARLY going for Eberle, who just lost the puck off his stick (its only a few feet in front of him) and if Eberle isnt reaching forward like he is, there is NO contact with the head.  AND Eberle sees the hit coming.  I dont know what the league is going to do honestly.  Theyve lost me with the way they discipline guys.  The Cooke elbow that got him the rest of the years wasnt much of a hit so I just dont know anymore. For me personally, I worry about guys NOT hitting in fear of being suspended.  A dirty hit is one thing, and 99% of the time obvious.  THIS is not a dirty hit in my opinion.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

AGREED....Many of the hits to the head are due to the player getting hit, putting themselves in a vulnerable position, SUCH AS REACHING FOR A PUCk, which causes their heads to drop a little, to the shoulder or elbow level. Plays happen so quick, how can a player adjust for that when they are locked on to a check. Psille's suspension was due to the player reaching for the puck. I just dont see how a player can avoid such hits. Honestly, its the player reaching that gets hit who should be the one not putting themselves in that position.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Blind side hit much? Raffi Torres : AGREED....Many of the hits to the head are due to the player getting hit, putting themselves in a vulnerable position, SUCH AS REACHING FOR A PUCk, which causes their heads to drop a little, to the shoulder or elbow level. Plays happen so quick, how can a player adjust for that when they are locked on to a check. Psille's suspension was due to the player reaching for the puck. I just dont see how a player can avoid such hits. Honestly, its the player reaching that gets hit who should be the one not putting themselves in that position.
    Posted by bgrif008[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I said earlier. Players are going to put themselves in poor positions and expect immunity now. Savard if he wasnt reaching Hunwicks hit woudlnt of hurt him, same with eberle here.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Blind side hit much? Raffi Torres : This is exactly what I said earlier. Players are going to put themselves in poor positions and expect immunity now. Savard if he wasnt reaching Hunwicks hit woudlnt of hurt him, same with eberle here.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey[/QUOTE]

Yes you did. Nice to see another level headed person on this forum agrees with me, or agrees with you.