Bogosian gets 7 years, 36 million.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Bogosian gets 7 years, 36 million.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=428723

Ok, I have not been one this summer to jump up and down about contracts getting out of hand, but this one?

This is such a crap shoot I have no idea what to think about it. This is completely about paying for potential rather than the now. This could end up being a complete steal if he hits his potential soon, or go the other way and be a complete bust if he can't get it together.

Wanted to get the thoughts of the rest of you, as I have some obvious bias.

I will say, with deals like this, Wheeler's and Kane's, I'm grateful the team is owned by the richest person in the country.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Re: Bogosian gets 7 years, 36 million.

In response to red75's comment:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=428723

Ok, I have not been one this summer to jump up and down about contracts getting out of hand, but this one?

This is such a crap shoot I have no idea what to think about it. This is completely about paying for potential rather than the now. This could end up being a complete steal if he hits his potential soon, or go the other way and be a complete bust if he can't get it together.

Wanted to get the thoughts of the rest of you, as I have some obvious bias.

I will say, with deals like this, Wheeler's and Kane's, I'm grateful the team is owned by the richest person in the country.

He's only 23 so the thinking is he could still evolve into the Jets' kingpin D if he isn't that already, eh red?  From what you've seen does his play indicate he could become one of the elite defensemen in the league? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Yes, but the operative word is "could," or perhaps "should." But it's still a risk because I wouldn't use the word "is." If he hits his potential I'd expect him to be the star on Team USA's blueline in 2018.

It's just that "if" makes me nervous.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Yes, but the operative word is "could," or perhaps "should." But it's still a risk because I wouldn't use the word "is." If he hits his potential I'd expect him to be the star on Team USA's blueline in 2018.

Red, there is risk in any long term deal.  I think hes a good player.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Red, there is risk in any long term deal.  I think hes a good player.  

True, shupe.  I just wonder what ever became of largely rewarding a player for what they've consistently done over what's projected they're steadily going to do?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Would you be less apprehensive about the contract if he had an initial couple of seasons similar to, say, Dion Phaneuf Doo-doo-be-doo-doo with goal totals of 20 followed by two straight 17 goal years?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I'd be less apprehensive if he shot the puck over the glass less, and if he didn't blow his coverage as frequently. He can be great, but he can also get completely undressed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Red, there is risk in any long term deal.  I think hes a good player.  

[/QUOTE]

How dare you?

;)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I'd be less apprehensive if he shot the puck over the glass less, and if he didn't blow his coverage as frequently. He can be great, but he can also get completely undressed.

This DOES sound like Dion Phaneuf Doo-doo-be-doo-doo.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think he's a pretty good d-man.  And if you have a pretty good d-man on your team, and he's 23 years old, and you want to keep him...this seems to be about the going rate.

So, who knows...but that does seem to be the cost to keep him.  He'd probably get it elsewhere.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

Red, there is risk in any long term deal.  I think hes a good player.  

True, shupe.  I just wonder what ever became of largely rewarding a player for what they've consistently done over what's projected they're steadily going to do?

Rask.  :-).  Thats for the fans out there.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Sigh... Shupe we all know your opinion on the Rask signing. Some agree, some disagree. I's there a chance we can drop the Rask contract debate until the season starts, and then we can all see if he plays at a level deserving of it or not? As it is right now, without seeing the actual on-ice performance, is beating a dead horse.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Red you will find most in NE including myself are a bit biased that Bogosian has tremendous upside.  The thing is I would not trade Rask for him.  Hehe. 

A scientific theory should be as simple as possible, but no simpler. -- Albert Einstein

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

Sigh... Shupe we all know your opinion on the Rask signing. Some agree, some disagree. I's there a chance we can drop the Rask contract debate until the season starts, and then we can all see if he plays at a level deserving of it or not? As it is right now, without seeing the actual on-ice performance, is beating a dead horse.

[/QUOTE]

Red, fletch was teasing me.  I think the cba should have max deals at 5 yrs.  and that goes for any player.  I dont think there is one long term deal id support at the moment.  ie.  i hate charas deal.  

my 2 cents other then the contract is that ZB is a heck of a dman.  I saw him come to a team mates aid last year against the leafs i believe and put a thumping on him.  He went out of his way as well to do it as well.  I think hes a big physical mobile dman.  Its a lot to shell out.  But look what montreal is gonna have to pay pk bc of a short term deal.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:

Red you will find most in NE including myself are a bit biased that Bogosian has tremendous upside.  The thing is I would not trade Rask for him.  Hehe. 

A scientific theory should be as simple as possible, but no simpler. -- Albert Einstein

I would bc i think top dmen are more valuable.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I think it's a fine contract.  The length is massive, but in three years when the cap has doubled (exaggerated guess), he's a steal.  No one wants to see their younger players hold out or walk and now they have more control over it.

If all else fails, they can trade any heavy, long term deal to Montreal for high end prospects.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

What the heck is happening up there?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking someone needs to send random tips to check evidence lockers across the maritimes....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Top flight goalie or top flight dman?  I take dman.  Goalies are weird wishy washy types(no offense goalie gurus).  Show me any of the best goalies long term and i will show you zero cup rings.   King H, Miller, Loungo etc etc.   this wasnt a rask attack.  I have zero faith in paying goalies.   Since the yrs of roy brodeur belfour you would be hard pressed to find a goalie that comes close to those legends.   

Ive seen too many of these guys get paid then become avg.   now in saying this i think the next generation looks promising with rask, crawford, howard, price and others.  

I think a top end dman is worth more.  Who do you want chara or rask? Keith or crawford? Pk or price? Karlson or Anderson?   Rinne or Shea?   

i think good goalies are products of their system.  Smith, Rask, King H, Rinne, Bryz when he was in Pho.,   Yes i believe these guys are fantastic goalies but i would take a top end dman anyday over a goalie.  Without hesitation.   I look at Osgood for a past example.  He has HOF numbers.  He is an avg goalie.  I dont value goalies ahead of defense.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Dez,  your thoughts on zacks deal?   Im asking with thoughts regarding pk.  I know you hate these long deals for unproven talent.  Share your mind.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Is Winnipeg ownership paying off an arena lone ?

The reason I ask is it seems like they just sign thier young players they've developed (which is what you want) but don't dip into free agency that freely. That usually points to money tied up in the loan to pay off for the purchase of the team or an arena.

As far as the cotract real good for the Jets. If Bogosian lives up to his potential and explodes he misses out on some more money. It gives both sides a real comfort level, he looks like he's going to be good for awhile in my eyes.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

I'm thinking someone needs to send random tips to check evidence lockers across the maritimes....

Okay, so it's not just me that thinks our reliable buddy is a little off the marks these days.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Is Winnipeg ownership paying off an arena lone ?

The reason I ask is it seems like they just sign thier young players they've developed (which is what you want) but don't dip into free agency that freely. That usually points to money tied up in the loan to pay off for the purchase of the team or an arena.

As far as the cotract real good for the Jets. If Bogosian lives up to his potential and explodes he misses out on some more money. It gives both sides a real comfort level, he looks like he's going to be good for awhile in my eyes.

I was wondering the same.   I see minny lost 30m last year.   More proof that mega deals dont work.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

[QUOTE]

Okay, so it's not just me that thinks our reliable buddy is a little off the marks these days.

[/QUOTE]

NAS, do you think my 2nd last post was off the mark?   Do you think osgood is a HOF goalie, do you think that the goalies i mentioned are in perfect systems to enhance these stats?  Do you think Semin is worth 7m?   

Im always off the mark.   You new?  Do i need a 16000 post rule?  Haha.  

I think recently, the last decade for example illustrates that you dont need a top 3 goalie to win the cup.  in the last 10 yrs what goalie that has won the cup dominates?   And if you can find one please tell me where they are now.