Boston 2011-12

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Boston 2011-12

Funny but capgeek and Boston website both have Josh Hennessy listed on roster, not sure what is up with this, unless he is on long term injury, if so why was he signed.
     Anyone in the know on this.

Roster has been depleted by loss of 2nd and 3rd line RWers who were 11th and 18th in Stanley Cup Playoff scoring. You can spite your face all you want but Ryder was a very key cog in the wheel last year.

Not unlike the loss of Kess we have not replaced these 2 key players with equal status.  Hort was the replacement for Kess but it came a year later, hopefully Ryd and Rec are replaced sooner. Clark is not that replacement, he is good for a 4th not a 2nd or 3rd RWer, Pouliot could be a diamond, I would prefer the Sauve card.

Different from 2 years ago, Luc Krej should be better, Seg and March should fair better than Wheel and Bitz but many on here were expecting all these vast improvements from all the players that actually went into reverse.

To be successful, the B's roster has to be better than they were last year as we have not improved our roster as yet. So will the players have matured and improved, that is why they play the season, we will have to tune in and see.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Boston 2011-12

In Response to Boston 2011-12:
    [QUOTE]Funny but capgeek and Boston website both have Josh Hennessy listed on roster, not sure what is up with this, unless he is on long term injury, if so why was he signed.  Anyone in the know on this. Roster has been depleted by loss of 2nd and 3rd line RWers who were 11th and 18th in Stanley Cup Playoff scoring. You can spite your face all you want but Ryder was a very key cog in the wheel last year. Not unlike the loss of Kess we have not replaced these 2 key players with equal status.  Hort was the replacement for Kess but it came a year later, hopefully Ryd and Rec are replaced sooner. Clark is not that replacement, he is good for a 4th not a 2nd or 3rd RWer, Pouliot could be a diamond, I would prefer the Sauve card. Different from 2 years ago, Luc Krej should be better, Seg and March should fair better than Wheel and Bitz but many on here were expecting all these vast improvements from all the players that actually went into reverse. To be successful, the B's roster has to be better than they were last year as we have not improved our roster as yet. So will the players have matured and improved, that is why they play the season, we will have to tune in and see.
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT[/QUOTE]
    Using Seguin as an indicator, the young Bruins should be stronger due to growth and experience.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Addition by subtraction.

Overall the team speed is faster than last year (by subtracting Recchi).
    Overall the team is more physical than last year (by subtracting Kaberle).
    Overall the team work ethic is better than last year (by subtracting Ryder).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

There were a gazillion posts on this 2 years ago on how we would or should improve, we didn't. That was also by subtraction.

It is the addition that gets er done.

ie Horton Pev and even Kel, so far that is not being done with Poul and Clark.

The key was other than Sav we did not have injuries that nagged us long term last year, to be successful that needs to be the same this year.

I do expect Seg to improve and take the strides forward to become the star that is expected of him, I hope we do not trend backward again.

We have added depth in the 4th line role but unless the youth can move forward like March we have not improved. We will be a strong team because we have top notch players like Ch TT Berg Krej Luc Hort with great support, but once again it will come down to injuries-can we stay away from them to our key players, I hope so.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I think the real improvement will come closer to deadline time... when PC has had a chance to analyze how his current roster has fared.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Caron should replace one of the departed.  Hopefully an improved Tyler Seguin should make the other a distant memory.  Joe Corvo will make people forget the pain of Kaberle very quickly.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In Response to Re: Boston 2011-12:
    [QUOTE]Caron should replace one of the departed.  Hopefully an improved Tyler Seguin should make the other a distant memory.  Joe Corvo will make people forget the pain of Kaberle very quickly.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]
    Hopefully true on all accounts.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

A good assessment OatesCam, those what ifs are the reason Pouliot and Calrk have been kept. Pierre Lebrun is now envious of Chairelli's cap management, he has plenty of room for mistakes if "that Dman" is needed again...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

In Response to Boston 2011-12:
    [QUOTE] To be successful, the B's roster has to be better than they were last year as we have not improved our roster as yet. So will the players have matured and improved, that is why they play the season, we will have to tune in and see.
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT[/QUOTE]

Uh, you do realize that they WON the cup, right? What more do they need to do, "to be successful"?
    As far as this year goes, I think Corvo & Caron can replace the contributions of Ryder & Kaberle, at about 1/3 the cap hit.
    As stated by others, the projected improvement of the B's young players, should also help.
    The only question mark for me, is 2nd line RW. The only FA that could have played there was Selanne, and he was never going to leave the Ducks.
    That left, having to trade for a player, which may have left a hole elsewhere.
    Every team has question marks. Chiarelli has proven, he knows what it takes to build a winner.
    I'll let him worry about who's wearing the jerseys. Me, I'm just gonna sit back, and enjoy the season, as....
    THE DEFENDING STANLEY CUP CHAMPS!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

Peverley is playing in Rex's spot. At this point, he's the better player. Better wheels, can score more than Rex, and can play more defense, is on the PK, and can be an option at center. Upgrade in all categories except leadership, which is part of why they brought in Clark and possibly Whitney. They're also expecting steps forward by players like Lucic and McQuaid to take over a piece of the leadership pie. Rex has been accounted for... just not as a straight up 1-for-1 plug and play... his different roles are accounted for in different bodies.
    Corvo IS a 1-for-1 plug and play for Kaberle, and I think Corvo is better. Remember when Corvo and Seidenberg SHUT DOWN the B's 3 years ago? I sure do. I'm excited about that.
    On the 3rd line you have to account for Peverley (who is now "Rex") and Ryder. With a combination of Caron, Seguin, Clark and Pouliot riding with Kelly, I think you're pretty well covered.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

How Bruin Fans.

As far as I can see, although the preseason isn't really a good indicator, I would think Boston is favored to make it back into the finals.

They are as strong as they were last year and probably a bit better with Seguin having 1 year under his belt.

I'm not sure which team in the East has become strong enough to overtake the Bruins.

Wild card is always how injuries to key players materialize throughout the year.

My prediction is Bruin/LA finals this year.

As for my Leafs;
    Team is younger and faster with some good potential, but a struggle to make the playoffs again this year.  All depends on how good (or bad) the goaltending is.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Good topic, and good comments. This is a better team than last year since most have experienced just what it took to win the cup. Peverly is faster than REx; should score more often as he will get to the passes REx missed;and his defensive capability is enhanced with his speed and experience. A third line of Seguin/Caron/Kelly should be an upgrade in overall speed, and replaces Ryder's laissez-faire with commitment as Caron is demonstrating. Corvo should be a tougher D than Kaberle,  should have a better shot, and should skate better. On the "to be determined" side, we cannot , and should not, expect a repeat from Tim Thomas. BUT, we should expect more and better from Tuuka, he has been "patient" long enough. Perhaps, with Clark and Pouliot available, we should see changes in the 4th line. Pouliot could be a fill-in on either the 2nd or 3rd line, and Clark a primary for injury replacement. On defense, speedier opponents will give Chara fits; Seids, McQuaid and Corvo should be OK; Ference needs a repeat of last year; and Boychuck needs to eliminate his frequency for Gaffs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Hey, LRH is back!  With Kennedy, class of their own for non-Bruin-fan contributors here.  LRH, this might be the first year of the Burke era where I think they're better than they were.  Used to be lots of moves and lots of hail marys with college FAs, Euro FAs, retreads picked up off of waivers.  There are still some crap shoots with Lombardi and Connolly - two guys who could be out for the year if they stand to close to the loudspeakers - but there are other moves that seem to be pushing in the right direction. 

biggs, I took the "must be better comment" to individual players need to step up and fill the gaps left by Ryder and Recchi if the team is going to be as good as last year. Yeah, they won, but Ryder and Recchi were important parts in the run. 

I don't think Kaberle left a gap.  I'd say that either the gap existed and Kaberle failed to plug it as hoped or that the VoRP gap for Kaberle over Kampfer didn't prove to be that sizeable.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

Nice to be back.  Took a break during the summer and throughout the pre-season when the Leafs always win the Cup.....LOL

I'm not really sold on Connolly or Lombardi (both look like stop-gaps).  There is a good core of young players, but I think the Leafs are 2 or 3 years away from being half-decent.

Defense looks better, goaltending depends on Reimer repeating last year's heroics.  Fast but not enough size up front.

We'll see how it goes....