Bruin Keys to Victory

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Bruin Keys to Victory

There's a Caps' Strategy thread, but not a broader one like this.  In my eyes, this is fundamental hockey talk at the best time of the year.  I love the first round. 

My thread, so I'll ask people to go beyond the obvious: "Bruins must outscore the Capitals.  Thomas must play well.  Shut down Ovechkin."

Bruins keys:
    1 - Hit Semin, not Ovechkin, if you're going to make a point of hitting someone.  Hitting Ovechkin has been sound strategy in international games, but the guy is over 230lbs and he physical play is part of his game.  Semin, on the other hand, is a guy you can make disappear.  But all of this has to stay within the context of the way the Bruins play in their own zone.  With the exception of Boychuk, and occasionally Ference, the Bruin defense doesn't hit much.  They focus on positioning and stick work, though they'll grind guys on the boards when they can.  So - we're only talking about a small increase in the emphasis on hitting a guy who might be influenced by it.

2 - Attack Wideman.  One of the great things about the Bruin structure is that no matter which line is on against Wideman, they can attack him with speed off the wing - Rolston, Seguin, Peverley or Paille.  Back him off, make him turn and fall, I don't care - but if you attack him consistently with speed, you know some sort of spectacular mistake is going to happen.  That's just Dennis.  And because they play him a lot and rely on him a lot, the more they can get in his head, the better.

3 - Don't believe the hype.  Bruins lost one of those regular season games vs. the Caps because Perreault had a hat trick.  Laich, Chimera, and Brouwer are the kind of player who scores big playoff goals, and they had between 16-20 goals each.  There is some depth on that Capitals team, and it's grinding, responsible depth not young hotshots who want to score highlight reel goals.  Carlson and Alzner are young, sure, but they have the tools to play above their RS year, and Carlson had 9 goals.

4 - Caps are a big team; win games, don't try to prove you're the Big Bad Bruins.  Don't get lured into a testosterone test.  The Bruins are deadly with their physicality because it's part of the way they play, not a separate strategy.  They aren't a big hitting team so much as a team that wears you down because they're heavy in the corners, strong on the puck, and solid when you try to take the body on them.  The Caps might feel they have somethinng to prove.  Let them try.  Plays right into Boston's hands.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Bruin Keys to Victory

Bingo Bango Booko.

I like it.  Numbers 1 and 4 in particular.

The other kind of obvious thing that they got away from at times in the regular season is, go hard to the net.  Nothing makes a greenhorn goalie more confident than saving shots from the perimeter without a lot of traffic.  The Bruins need to be in this guy's face, even if it costs them a goalie-interference penalty or two.  Lots of traffic, lots of screens, and the occasional bump or two in the Caps crease.  Mike Green won't mind.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaunk. Show shaunk's posts

It think one mental key for both clubs revolves around the idea of 'team.' There will be a point in this series when the Bruins are tested, say going down by two goals heading into the third, or even being down by two games. I am confident that the Bruins will come together and give everything for each other.

At the same time that is happening, there will be a mental challenge as well regarding 'team' for the Capitals. They will see the Bruins winning a game or two by sticking together and beating them in ways they don't know. What the Caps do at that moment will define whether or not they can overcome their past failures.

The Caps have always had the talent, but they've never had that sense of 'do-or-die' for team. That is a key intangible that they need to show.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Agree 100%, especially #4. I think opponents will expect physical play from Boston, but there's a decisive new look this year when Seguin, Peverly, Rolston and Paille flying down the wing. Let those guys be first up the boards on the rush to open space, then follow with lumbering drives to the net and aggressive cycling by Lucic, Marchand, Pouliot and Thornton, coupled with transition smarts by your centers, and you've got the recipe for success.

I have never been more confident in the way the lines have been composed as I am now. While most teams give you different looks, Boston just comes at you line after line with the same formula. They're not afraid to stake their territory and say "this is who we are - deal with it".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

BB - Excellent breakdown.  I like the idea of making Semin pay whenever he has the puck as he's a key.  I've read his tag is talented but lacks consistent determination when things don't go his way.  He might be less inclined to get involved if he knows he's going to get hit.  Also try not to give the Caps' PP too many chances.  It was ranked 18th but with the players they have better to see it in operation as little as possible. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from HalifaxBruins. Show HalifaxBruins's posts

Huge Key for the Bruins is DO NOT PLAY CORVO UNLESS THERES NO ONE ELSE ON THE BENCH LOL 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

The first 2 posters nailed it, so I don't have much to contribute, other than a couple thoughts about Ovechkin.  He's no pushover physically, but he has to be played that way.  As the games get tougher and closer, Ovechkin seems to get rattled, tries to do it all himself, and that should play into the B's hands.  I think it's really all about the B's.  They can't lolleygag, like they did with Montreal, last year.  They seem to have to be a little fearful(of losing), before they play determined.  When they do that, they're monsters.  When they don't, they're average.  The first round always has spectacular upsets, but this team controls it's destiny.  They're solid from top to bottom, but they'll need serious determination here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Jam, Jam, Jam the neutral zone do not let the Caps quick forwards transition across the blueline. Wideman, Green and Carlson are accpetional at that 1st outlet pass out of their own zone this can altered by Bruins puck possesion and pounding those three weaklingforwards converted to defensman in the corner.

KPD made a great point this morning make Dale Hunter coach as he has not been here before as a coach.

21 NHL games for a very young goaltender pelt him with lots of shots early and often.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Point 1 is dead on with regard to Ovechkin, since 2003 has had 50 points in 37 playoff games so if he has the will to produce, he will.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/04/08/mendes_senators_rangers_round_1/

If the B's can make sure he is the only one producing by taking away his supporting cast through physical play then the B's will win. No team can beat a top seed with just one guy.

Also, break the confidence of Holtby by scoring on him early and getting in his face as Fletch points out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: Bruin Keys to Victory:
    [QUOTE]Jam, Jam, Jam the neutral zone do not let the Caps quick forwards transition across the blueline. Wideman, Green and Carlson are accpetional at that 1st outlet pass out of their own zone this can altered by Bruins puck possesion and pounding those three weaklingforwards converted to defensman in the corner. KPD made a great point this morning make Dale Hunter coach as he has not been here before as a coach. 21 NHL games for a very young goaltender pelt him with lots of shots early and often.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

And as Fletch said earlier block his vision of those shots as much as possible.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In Response to Re: Bruin Keys to Victory:
    [QUOTE]Bingo Bango Booko. I like it.  Numbers 1 and 4 in particular. The other kind of obvious thing that they got away from at times in the regular season is, go hard to the net.  Nothing makes a greenhorn goalie more confident than saving shots from the perimeter without a lot of traffic.  The Bruins need to be in this guy's face, even if it costs them a goalie-interference penalty or two.  Lots of traffic, lots of screens, and the occasional bump or two in the Caps crease.  Mike Green won't mind.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]
    Exactly, one thing you don't want is for Holtby to get into some kind of comfort zone.Pepper him early and often from in close and lots of traffic, let him know early on this isn't the WHL playoffs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Agree fully with Bookboy about hitting Semin. Also he has a knack for taking stupid penalties, especially with his stick (he's too lazy to play defense properly). Thus when on the attack and in his vicinity, Bruins should keep that in mind.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

"4 - Caps are a big team; win games, don't try to prove you're the Big Bad Bruins. Don't get lured into a testosterone test. The Bruins are deadly with their physicality because it's part of the way they play, not a separate strategy. They aren't a big hitting team so much as a team that wears you down because they're heavy in the corners, strong on the puck, and solid when you try to take the body on them. The Caps might feel they have somethinng to prove. Let them try. Plays right into Boston's hands."

That is exactly right - (see 2011 Canucks) The Caps are a team I was really hoping to avoid, they've got some lethal offensive talent. This series needs to be dominated along the wall and in the corners for the B's to be successful. I'm hoping they believe they're going to have to beat Boston at their own game to win...I really don't think that can be done. I'm concerned if they decide to play like the habs did last year- Attack with speed, and a relentless forecheck. My guess is their coach is going to opt for the physical, and poke the bear-

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rochesternybruinfan. Show rochesternybruinfan's posts

Yea  I remember    Final series  Bruins 52 total penalties  Vancouver  45 total penalties    With help like that,,who needs it?