Bruins #1 in TSN.CA NHL POWER RANKINGS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Re: Bruins #1 in TSN.CA NHL POWER RANKINGS

Again, I feel obliged to point out that TSN's power rankings are based purely on stats.  He even admits that teams with strong goaltending get a big boost (Thomas #1 in GAA by a lot).  Teams with a big margin of victory get a boost (near league best goal differential).

If it is weighted by recent events, those wins over Ottawa and Colorado will pad the Bruins ranking, too.

While potentially interesting and informative, I honestly don't think any numbers-based ranking will work in hockey.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Actually, if you are trying to be objective, stats is the only way to do it.  I certainly agree that there is so much that is not captured by stats in hockey, but all of it is subjective to opinion.  Statistically, the Bruins up to this point in the season have been the best team in the league.  They are best in defence and near the best in offence.  Hard to argue with that.  What annoys me though, is statements like "they are far from the best" or "this team is far better at..."  The NHL is so close that no team is far better than any other, at least among the upper half of the league.  The Bruins are among the top 5 or so teams in the league, so they have a very reasonable chance at a championship.  They are not much better or worse than any of them.  And there are another 5 or so teams which could get lucky and go all the way.  None of us know at this point who the successful ones will be, the Stanley Cup always has upsets.  But the Bruins are a very good team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins #1 in TSN.CA NHL POWER RANKINGS:
    [QUOTE]dizzy..let me guess you are probably 5 foot fu...all...all mouth  and real tough ...would love to meet you face to face...seeing you resort to name calling ....your fooling no one  im sure your nothing but a nerdy looking little weasel... better to be a know nothing than a complete  jerk.....lol..seeyou  mr. dizzy
    Posted by north1234[/QUOTE]
    Yeah,sure thing lady.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Rankings, Shmankings. This loss of Savard is horrible, and the B's won't be able to survive in the playoffs without him. Even with Savvy, any objective observor of the game would have to rank the Flyers, Penguins, Canucks, Caps above the Bruins talent-wise. And they'd have a tough time in any 7 game series against Tampa, Montreal, and the Rangers. Yes, anything can--and sometimes does--happen in the playoffs, but let's be realistic about what Savard's absence will mean. It's terribly unfortunate, but injuries to key players almost always spell doom for the team affected. I feel terible for Savvy, especially since he was showing real signs of getting his "A" game back...I'm afraid the Bruins' playoff hopes have been KO'd along with his for a full recovery.
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]
    It wouldn't matter who was in the lineup.You look for any possible reason to doubt what the Bruins are capable of.All that's been KO'ed is the possibility of you being objective.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]well mr .know it all  ..your not even worth answering to... get a life buddy ..oops gotta go watch that ranger backup.. BIRON....lol.....damm backup takes caps to o.t.  go cheer for the habs loser are you sure your not  a crying idiot.....see you dizzy  lol
    Where was all the name calling coming from?I'm not sure if you"re just a big baby or an even bigger loser.Real tough making threats over the internet.Whatever slows your tears......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]just drop it ..your an idiot....and a little weasel..no more comments to you your scum as far as im concerned .......
    Oh no!What ever will I do without reading your inane postings.....?and I think you meant YOU'RE as in you are..........

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from north1234. Show north1234's posts

OATESCAM...your post is bang on...bruins are very good but cant afford to stand still.....i think the team needs to sit down and try to add or subtract players in the areas of concern..i know where my concerns are right now but at the trading deadline that could change so i hope the bruins wait till then to make moves if any

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

[QUOTE]just drop it ..your an idiot....and a little weasel..no more comments to you your scum as far as im concerned .......

wow, must be terrible being you.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins #1 in TSN.CA NHL POWER RANKINGS : wow, must be terrible being you.
    Posted by mattymcgee55[/QUOTE]
    Watch out Matty!This lady claims to be very tough...........

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

I love the faceless tough guys. I think I'll be threatened next.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Tis best to type above a 4year olds level when calling someone an idiot.

Just saying.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I love the faceless tough guys. I think I'll be threatened next.
    Posted by mattymcgee55[/QUOTE]
    Oh yes,they're very dangerous when provoked,or talked to,or looked at,or ...........

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]losers stickING TOGETHER...  you have a friend  dizzy little weasel
    I thought you were done with me.Plus your theory of losers sticking together makes no sense.I mean,here you are,all alone with no one supporting your absurd postings...........

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tbops. Show Tbops's posts

WoW so many jumping on Rask. Just seem when he in net the Bs don't play well for him. Or don't score enough goals when he in net for us to win.

TT is the #1 man but Rask isn't that bad of a goalie. C'mon man!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]Actually, if you are trying to be objective, stats is the only way to do it.  I certainly agree that there is so much that is not captured by stats in hockey, but all of it is subjective to opinion.  Statistically, the Bruins up to this point in the season have been the best team in the league.  They are best in defence and near the best in offence.  Hard to argue with that.  What annoys me though, is statements like "they are far from the best" or "this team is far better at..."  The NHL is so close that no team is far better than any other, at least among the upper half of the league.  The Bruins are among the top 5 or so teams in the league, so they have a very reasonable chance at a championship.  They are not much better or worse than any of them.  And there are another 5 or so teams which could get lucky and go all the way.  None of us know at this point who the successful ones will be, the Stanley Cup always has upsets.  But the Bruins are a very good team.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

I agree Oates.  Interesting side note.  The Canadian Pro-Line(lottery sports wagering entity) had the Kings beating the Bruins last nite, and even offered odds on a Boston win.  That's in large part.. statistical.  It also shows how much balance there is in the league.  If the B's were to play LA again next week, I'm sure the odds would be different, and they could easily project a Bruins win.
    Ranking the Bruins #1 is fine.  Expecting them to beat every team every nite, or expecting a cup isn't.  Just means they got a fightin chance
    One thing is pretty much a certainty.....statistically.  If the Bruins can stay near the top in "power rankings" for the next 3 or 4 years....the odds are..............they'll win at least 1 cup.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]http://espn.go.com/nhl/powerrankings Down 2 spots on ESPN to 9th?  
    Posted by MeanE[/QUOTE]
    Just shows how dumb ESPN is when it comes to hockey. B's go 3-0-0 including a home and home stand and they get bumped down two spots because Savard got injured? Makes no sense.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

[QUOTE]yeah just keep on living on stats..they are for losers,...if the shoe fits and im sure it does.wear it....   horrible goaling style and a complete failure.....better backups.than rask...what a FOOLISHSTATEMENT.......HOW MANY TEAMS ARE THERE IN THE LEAGUE....KEEP RESEARCHING THOSE STATS. ON RASK....GEE I COULD GIVE YOU HIS WINNING PERCENTAGE..OH YEAH IM SURE YOU WOULD FIND AN EXCUSE FOR HIM  ALSO.....so i wont bother....show me the wins buddy .......lol

Say a goalie was to have these stats in two season which season would you say the goalie played better in?

gp w l t so g s sv% GA
    72 25 33 14 - 7 172 2,475 .931 2.43
      68 40 22 - 4 4 167 1,915 .913 2.57

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eric66. Show Eric66's posts

[QUOTE]The Bruins have been playing well but they should not be ranked number 1.  The guy doing the rankings is trying to get people to respond.
    Posted by huntbri[/QUOTE]

He does it based solely on statistics and injuries, theres a link to a page that explains it all right on the rankings page.

The bruins are 1st or 2nd in overall and 5 on 5 goal differential, with top 5 PK as well, which is probably why they are ranked so high.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

...regardless of whether we should be 1st, 2nd, 3rd or lower...I'm glad that statistically we're ranked high rather than 30th, 29th, etc.

THEN we'd see some people ranting!!!!!   ;^)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

Number 1 in the Northeast Division is what they meant to say... and the weakest division in the NHL...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins #1 in TSN.CA NHL POWER RANKINGS : It wouldn't matter who was in the lineup.You look for any possible reason to doubt what the Bruins are capable of.All that's been KO'ed is the possibility of you being objective.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Dez,

Let's not resort to the old ways of sniping at each other every time I point out something lacking w/the Bruins. It serves neither of us any good.

Of course it matters who's in the line-up...that's the entire basis for my post. I happen to feel the Bruins are a far weaker squad w/out Savard in there. I don't think that's an unreasonable assumption, especially given the signs that he was starting to get his game back (4 assists in 5 games and overall much better play.)

I also believe that these 4 teams--Flyers, Caps, Pens and Canucks--are all better than the Bruins even with Savard--also not a far-fetched statement based on where they are in the standings and the offensive capabilities and depth on display w/teams like Philly.

Please reconsider whether your own propensity to defend the Bruins may be getting in the way of your own objectivity in assessing the team. I don't see how the loss of Savard doesn't hurt the Bruins' playoff survival chances unless they can get a player of equal talent to fill in for him--which is unlikely.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Anyone know where I can find out how teams fare against winning teams vs. sub .500 teams?  Without having to do it myself.

I know this, the Bruins are a combined 10-4-1 against the teams either tied with them in the conference or with more points then them.  This includes Flyers 2-0-1, Penguins 2-1-0, Rangers1-1-0, Lightning 2-1-0, Capitals 3-1-0!

The Bruins have faltered against the so-called weakest division (Northeast) in the NHL, where they are only 6-5-3 and against the West where they are only 2-4-2.

I am not here to say the Bruins are a lock to win Lord Stanley, only to point out that the Bruins have a great record against the teams that many consider the favorites to do so.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins #1 in TSN.CA NHL POWER RANKINGS : Dez, Let's not resort to the old ways of sniping at each other every time I point out something lacking w/the Bruins. It serves neither of us any good. Of course it matters who's in the line-up...that's the entire basis for my post. I happen to feel the Bruins are a far weaker squad w/out Savard in there. I don't think that's an unreasonable assumption, especially given the signs that he was starting to get his game back (4 assists in 5 games and overall much better play.) I also believe that these 4 teams--Flyers, Caps, Pens and Canucks--are all better than the Bruins even with Savard--also not a far-fetched statement based on where they are in the standings and the offensive capabilities and depth on display w/teams like Philly. Please reconsider whether your own propensity to defend the Bruins may be getting in the way of your own objectivity in assessing the team. I don't see how the loss of Savard doesn't hurt the Bruins' playoff survival chances unless they can get a player of equal talent to fill in for him--which is unlikely.
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]
    I,like yourself,can't avoid going back to my old ways.I also think Savard is far more easily replaceable than you obviously believe.His game may have been improving but he was far from irreplaceable.So now my objectivity is coming into question even though I've stuck by my stance all year.You've also stuck by your stance that Boston isn't good enough now(nor will they ever be)no matter what their record may reflect.You constantly bring up the Caps as a team that's obviously better than Boston yet the numbers say different.What is it that Boston can do to prove to you that they can skate with the Caps other than beating them on the ice(which they've done)?We have better  goaltending than anyone you've mentioned other than the Canucks(and that's debateable).Call it sniping if you want but I won't apologize for disagreeing that Boston is doomed without Savard.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I was at the Kings game...Listless effort by B's...It was discouraging more so because they the Kings seemed to not make a single mistake...No breakaways, giveaways, and few if any rebounds on Quick. Meanwhile, both Kings goals on door step plays....Thomas played great....The team did not...But they looked great in Colorado...Who knows if it's jet lag affecting them or not

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I was at the Kings game...Listless effort by B's...It was discouraging more so because they the Kings seemed to not make a single mistake...No breakaways, giveaways, and few if any rebounds on Quick. Meanwhile, both Kings goals on door step plays....Thomas played great....The team did not...But they looked great in Colorado...Who knows if it's jet lag affecting them or not
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]
    As you stated,they played against a good team that had a mistake free game.It happens....