Bruins/Canucks for Heritage Classic?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ocram. Show ocram's posts

Bruins/Canucks for Heritage Classic?

Since the 2013 Winter Classic is reported to break tradition and feature an American and a Canadian team (Red Wings / Maple Leafs).  Im wondering if the NHL would do the same for the Heritage Classic?  

I couldnt think of a greater matchup for the Heritage Classic than Bruins/Canucks in Vancouver.  This new rivalry would be a television ratings bonanza.  Does Vancouver have a stadium to host this type of event?

Think they would do this?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Bruins/Canucks for Heritage Classic?

Is there even going to be a Heritage Classic? Where was it this year?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Usually they have teams play that are long time rivals but this rivalry has reached the boiling point quickly.  It would be a lot of fun but the other issue is where would they play the game?  All of the games have been played within driving distance for both teams's fans.  I am sure for a big event fans would fly but I am just saying it would be less accessible for at least one of the team's fans.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Bruins/Canucks for Heritage Classic?:
    [QUOTE]Since the 2013 Winter Classic is reported to break tradition and feature an American and a Canadian team (Red Wings / Maple Leafs).  Im wondering if the NHL would do the same for the Heritage Classic?   I couldnt think of a greater matchup for the Heritage Classic than Bruins/Canucks in Vancouver.  This new rivalry would be a television ratings bonanza.  Does Vancouver have a stadium to host this type of event? Think they would do this?
    Posted by ocram[/QUOTE]

No.
    The riots would be bad for the image of the NHL.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

I just remembered Montreal did play Edmonton so I guess it could be done.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins/Canucks for Heritage Classic?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Bruins/Canucks for Heritage Classic? : No. The riots would be bad for the image of the NHL.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Heritage Classic: Habs vs. Bruins or Leafs vs. Bruins.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Can't be Canucks and Bruins for the Heritage Classic - that's the game that is supposed to be hosted in Canada, and Vancouver just does not have the stadium or weather for it.

They've suggested having it every two years, so that means there may be one next year. My guess is it will be Canucks and Jets in the new Bomber Stadium.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Have no interest in watching B's vs Nucks outdoors or otherwise. You can watch synchronized swimming at the Olympics.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins/Canucks for Heritage Classic? : Heritage Classic: Habs vs. Bruins or Leafs vs. Bruins.
    Posted by lambda13[/QUOTE]

Only three NHL cities in Canada have suitable stadiums - Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg. Ottawa's stadium is practically condemned, and Toronto and Montreal don't have an outdoor stadium that can hold more than 25,000. Vancouver has Empire which can be expanded to a large enough capacity, but I doubt the NHL wants to hold the game in the pouring rain. Unless they  want to hold it in a neutral site like Regina or Hamilton, their options for host cities are quite limited.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins/Canucks for Heritage Classic? : Only three NHL cities in Canada have suitable stadiums - Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg. Ottawa's stadium is practically condemned, and Toronto and Montreal don't have an outdoor stadium that can hold more than 25,000. Vancouver has Empire which can be expanded to a large enough capacity, but I doubt the NHL wants to hold the game in the pouring rain. Unless they  want to hold it in a neutral site like Regina or Hamilton, their options for host cities are quite limited.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

You could do BC Place with the  roof open.  Empire has been dismantled.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins/Canucks for Heritage Classic? : You could do BC Place with the  roof open.  Empire has been dismantled.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but despite today's cold spell, the weather here is pretty unreliable for an outdoor game - Vancouver in the winter usually means above freezing and raining, not cold and snowing. (Plus, couldn't they just put back the temporary seating at Empire? Or is it completely dismantled?) Also, and indoor stadium with the roof open, doesn't have the same feel really as a true outdoor game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

And Winnipeg has problems too - it's minus 22 F (-30 C) there right now, and that's warm for this time of year. If they schedule it and Winnipeg gets one of its minus 49 F (-45 C) cold snaps, they'd have to cancel - no one can sit outside in that weather for 3 hours.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Empire is gone gone gone.  Taken apart like the Lego stadium it was built as.

I agree that a retractable roof stadium doesn't have the same feel as a fully outdoor stadium.  That's why I doubt that Vancouver will ever host a Winter/Heritage Classic.  Aside from today, we don't "really" get winter.  On the other hand, an All-Star Game, held at BC Place, would be quite the spectacle.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]Empire is gone gone gone.  Taken apart like the Lego stadium it was built as. I agree that a retractable roof stadium doesn't have the same feel as a fully outdoor stadium.  That's why I doubt that Vancouver will ever host a Winter/Heritage Classic.  Aside from today, we don't "really" get winter.  On the other hand, an All-Star Game, held at BC Place, would be quite the spectacle.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

I like that AS idea. It is kinda sucky that we don't really have many suitable sites in this country. It makes sense that we build domes because of the weather, but it limits our options for a game like this. Though a neutral site Like Taylor Field or Ivor Wynn could make for an awesome game - Toronto vs. Buffalo/Ottawa in Hamilton, or Jets vs. Caqnucks/Oilers in Regina.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

And to any of our posters from Southern Ontario or Northern New York, if you want to see an outdoor game, Brock University is playing Waterloo at Ivor wynne on Sunday. Should be a fun college game.