Bruins Cup Win = Julien Greatness?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Bruins Cup Win = Julien Greatness?

I heard an interesting conversation on the way home this afternoon.  The Boston Globe's Bob Ryan was a guest on THE FAN 590's Primetime Sports with Bob McCown.  After the Tebow talk the discourse turned to the Cup finals.  McCown asked Ryan if the Bruins win the Cup, does Claude Julien enter the conversation among the greatest of NHL coaches.  Ryan said yes when you consider his over .600 winning percentage, his Adams trophy, the Cup win one year after the Philly series in 2010. 

Would another championship edge him closer to the more legendary types like Jack Adams' 3 Cups, the Leafs' Punch Imlach with 4, Al Arbour with 4 straight, Sather and Dick Irvin also with 4?  Considering his accomplishments I'd think it would. 

Here are some of the league's winningest coachest including Cup wins:

Scotty Bowman - 1, 244 W - 573 L - 314 T - .557 - 9 Stanley Cups

Toe Blake - 500 W - 255 L - 159 T - .634 - 8 Stanley Cups

Glen Sather - 497 W - 307 L - 121 T - .602 - 4 Stanley Cups

Dick Irvin - 692 W - 527 L - 230 T - .608 - 4 Stanley Cups

Hap Day - 259 W - 206 L - 81 T - .549 - 5 Stanley Cups

Al Arbour - 782 W - 577 L - 248 T - .589 - 4 Stanley Cups

Punch Imlach - 407 W - 337 L - 150 T - .537 - 4 Stanley Cups

Mike Babcock - 373 W - 188 L - 19 T - .625 - 1 Stanley Cup

Ken Hitchcock - 533 W - 350 L - 88 T - .588 - 1 Stanley Cup

Mike Keenan - 672 W - 572 L - 147 T - .551 - 1 Stanley Cup

Jack Adams - 413 W - 390 L - 161 T - .512 - 3 Stanley Cups

Pat Quinn - 684 W - 524 L - 154 T - .541 - 0 Stanley Cups

Joel Quennville - 660 W - 387 L - 77 T - . 612 - 1 Stanley Cup

Marc Crawford - 549 W - 421 L - 100 T - .518 - 1 Stanley Cup

Randy Carlyle - 305 W - 208 L 69 T - .583 - 1 Stanley Cup

Jacques Lemaire - 617 W - 458 L - 134 T - 1 Stanley Cup

Ron Wilson - 648 W - 561 L - 101 T - .531 - 0 Stanley Cups

Dan Blysma - 201 W - 93 L - 25 T - .669 - 1 Stanley Cup

Claude Julien - 375 W - 230 L - 10 T - .604 - 1 Stanley Cup

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Bruins Cup Win = Julien Greatness?

Not in the same breath as Blake, Arbour, Sather or Bowman but in the top ten easily. I don't see any reasons why Julien wouldn't get himself into the conversation of the top 5 with a 3rd cup. It could easily happen with the way Chiarelli gets him players.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

The last Coach to win more than 1 Cup was Sather, and that was 25 years ago. Long time.

Winning two now is a Greater achievement.

Quenneville or Julien will be the next one.

Go Claude!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I don't think it'll put him in that echelon.  In order to reach "greatness" or "legendary", success need to span a great deal of time.  In today's NHL, I think making your mark with multiple teams is required.  Julien deserves a lot of credit, but oh man, these B's teams are really good, also.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Not in the same breath as Blake, Arbour, Sather or Bowman but in the top ten easily. I don't see any reasons why Julien wouldn't get himself into the conversation of the top 5 with a 3rd cup. It could easily happen with the way Chiarelli gets him players.

Yeah, San.  Bowman and Blake are in a league of their own with their Cups.  Looks practically impossible to crack their bracket.  You're right in your take of him being in a solid position to add more banners to the TD rafters with the manner in which club brass handles the Bruins. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I don't think it'll put him in that echelon.  In order to reach "greatness" or "legendary", success need to span a great deal of time.  In today's NHL, I think making your mark with multiple teams is required.  Julien deserves a lot of credit, but oh man, these B's teams are really good, also.

To your point, NAS, Damien Cox was in-studio with McCown and agreed Julien would be approaching greatness if he wins this year and follows with another down the line.  Bob Ryan suported this suggestion but cautioned the idea of automatic lofty status among the immortals accompanying another championship. 

He mentioned former Jays manager Cito Gaston who was usually never placed among the top all-time managers with the likes of Billy Martin, Sparky Anderson, Earl Weaver and Dick Williams despite winning successive World Series in the early 90's. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:

The last Coach to win more than 1 Cup was Sather, and that was 25 years ago. Long time.

Go Claude!

It's gonna be him, DB.  Those Hawks haven't faced a defense like the Bruins so far in these playoffs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Just goes to show you what a fine line it is between success and being replaced. 2 years ago if the Habs score in OT, theres a real good chance Julien loses his job there. This year, if they don't come back versus Toronto, who knows. It's certainly a fair question.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Just goes to show you what a fine line it is between success and being replaced. 2 years ago if the Habs score in OT, theres a real good chance Julien loses his job there. This year, if they don't come back versus Toronto, who knows. It's certainly a fair question.

That point was also mentioned by Bob Ryan, kel.  Same thing with Game 7 vs Toronto this year.  He said he had no doubt Julien would be gone following defeat in either situation.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Whether or not Julien would have been fired following a loss is unknown.

Everyone's perspective is their own on who is up there with the best, but I can't even imagine considering any coach to be there after two Cups in three seasons.  Nice job?  Yes.  Great job?  Yes.  Legendary performance?  Not even close. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Greatness ? No. One of the better jobs as a coach in recent times ? Yes.

One of the things he should be getting is better respect from Boston fans and media who have had him on the chopping block every other month for the last few years. 

He deserves it. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Among Bruin coaches, a win in this finals makes him the only guy to win more than one Cup as Bruins coach, even though they've won two in three years twice before (Ross, Weiland; Sinden, Johnson).  So he has to be pretty much at the top there, though I've always thought Harry would have been Bowmanesque as a coach if he'd stayed behind the bench.  Had a lot of the same characteristics as Scotty, though who knows if he'd have been able to get over the Dynastic humps of the Scabs, Isles and Oilers over the next two decades.  CJ is already the winningest coach (Cherry objection about ties duly noted) in Bruin history.  He doesn't seem legendary, does he - Mr. Potato-head-like, really - but can you come up with a good reason to run him down?

Personnel is always the counter to coaching - the "yeah, but look at who he had..." argument.  Bowman always had a great team except in Buffalo when he was also GM.  Scabs had the legacy of the old Quebec monopoly (Cournoyer, Savard, Lemaire) plus savvy draft manouevers like Lafleur and Houle as first overall picks.  And they stole Dryden.  In Pittsburgh, he took over a team on the brink, with the second best player in the world to that point (in that era), and got them over the hump after some great trades.  And in Detroit, he was the ultimate beneficiary of teh gamble the Wings took on Russia with Fedorov, Larionov, Konstantinov in to supplement very high picks like Yzerman and parlayed high picks like Carson for Coffey for Shanahan (2nd overall).  Arbour had first overall Potvin, Torrey traded first overall Billy Harris to get Goring, Gillies was #4, Bossy - great high picks for an expansion team.  Sather had Gretzky and some great picks when they were new.  Blake, Day and Imlach won a lot in a short period when rosters could become dynasties.  In a lot of ways, this Bruin team, to me, looks more like the result of coaching knitting a lot of very good pieces together.  Not Bad News Bears stuff, obviously, but to win two cups without a single homegrown first rounder playing a key role?  Crazy.

[Overheard at the NHLPA press conference]

"So, is that pronounced "Fair" or "Fear"?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Interesting comments since so many of us [ including me] were crying for Claude's demise over the lst few years, even after the cup win. How much is it Claude or the mix of players. Claude is not known for his in game decisions until lately; and how do you explain this year's ups and downs ?; How do you explain the Toronto series ?? Some analysis indicates that Claude prefers veteran players, but, he has utilized , and grown younger players quite well. Then how do you explain the Bruins failure on the PP ? What really makes a complete coach are his selections of assistants who help to mold the overall performance after the GM brings in the players. Is Claude too easy on his hired help ? Obviously Claude and his staff have solid defensive credentials, but their scheme depends on a 6'9" giant and solid or unique goalies. Inserting Jagr with Bergeron has worked as well as it could for Jagr's contributions, and moving Seguin has helped both Kelly and Peverly in these playoffs. But, why does he keep Thornton in the rotation rather than someone with more skills ?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to bogie6's comment:

Interesting comments since so many of us [ including me] were crying for Claude's demise over the lst few years, even after the cup win. How much is it Claude or the mix of players. Claude is not known for his in game decisions until lately; and how do you explain this year's ups and downs ?; How do you explain the Toronto series ?? Some analysis indicates that Claude prefers veteran players, but, he has utilized , and grown younger players quite well. Then how do you explain the Bruins failure on the PP ? What really makes a complete coach are his selections of assistants who help to mold the overall performance after the GM brings in the players. Is Claude too easy on his hired help ? Obviously Claude and his staff have solid defensive credentials, but their scheme depends on a 6'9" giant and solid or unique goalies. Inserting Jagr with Bergeron has worked as well as it could for Jagr's contributions, and moving Seguin has helped both Kelly and Peverly in these playoffs. But, why does he keep Thornton in the rotation rather than someone with more skills ?

In a perfect bogie world, these questions wouldn't be asked about Julien.

No NHL coach lives in a perfect bogie world. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Great goaltenders make Great coaches. I found that out as a Coach, and I continue to see it.

This isn't a knock against many very good coaches, but if Thomas doesn't stand on his head a few times they don't get past Vancouver, if Rask doesn't absolutely stone Pittsburgh in Game 3, and Roy doesn't win 10 or 11 OT games, then these coaches don't do diddley squat. 

For most coaches, it's keeping the room happy,and the players content with what he decides they get time wise. 

Looking for a new "warm and fuzzy" Cup Win.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Blake and Bowman are from a different era...Bowman trancended the new and the old....Don't forget that when your rating coaches it's like before the curved stick and after...CJ will be graded after he's done coaching....right now, he's only as good as his last win....coaches are hired to fired is an old adage...4 more to go will add greatly to his time as an NHL coach...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from gaaucoin. Show gaaucoin's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I'm with you...but, maybe these B's teams are really good due to CJ's ability to get the most out of his players...I do understand it works both ways, but he seems to be ably to squeeze the las tdrops of juice out of the fruit. He gets them to buy into a system that kind of squashes their offensive talents (I'M NOT COMPLAINING). I can only imagine what a run and gun style might be like.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:

Go Claude!

Yup. And I think Claude is only getting better as a coach, especially this year, thus far.

19. This post has been removed.