Bruins extend Thornton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moogfan35. Show moogfan35's posts

Bruins extend Thornton

From Bob Mckenzie, B's gave Thornton a 2 yr extension for 1.1m/y

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

Re: Bruins extend Thornton

o ya nas is going to love this! haha

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Nice raise considering his age.....not like he is somehow going to suddenly have a career year soon.

That said, nice to still have him on the team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

1.1m per year, or 1.1m over two years? 1.1m is double what he should be making, seeing as how all he can really do is fight. 

Good to have him back for a couple years, I guess. Would rather see Lane in his spot next year because Lane can actually skate and PK a bit, but Thornton is loved by many in Boston.

Seems like most of the other "fighters" in the league are getting paid in the 300k-600k range.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

groan.

The Thornton fans will be ecstatic, but come now, guys like Thornton are a dime a dozen.

Plus, what the hell, he's 34 now, a bit long in the tooth for a fighter for 2 years.

1 year I could possibly live with, but 2?

Not that you're going to look to get a tons of points out of him, but his point production is way off from last year.  

The more I think about it, the more I don't like it.

Bad signing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins extend Thornton:
    [QUOTE]groan. The Thornton fans will be ecstatic, but come now, guys like Thornton are a dime a dozen. Plus, what the hell, he's 34 now, a bit long in the tooth for a fighter for 2 years. 1 year I could possibly live with, but 2? Not that you're going to look to get a tons of points out of him, but his point production is way off from last year.   The more I think about it, the more I don't like it. Bad signing.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Oh come on HadHab. He only has half the amount of goals and points from last year, is a -6, has the fewest minutes player for a regular, half the amount of fights compared to a year ago, and is 34 (as you pointed out).

Of course he deserves a $300,000 raise from last year!!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I would rather have Caron or Pouliot on the 4th line given Thornton's age and diminishing returns.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

I agree BFJ. The best thing about thornton is that he competently did his job for a minimal cap hit. Him getting a raise somewhat defeats the purpose of having someone like him on the team.

Don't get me wrong. I like him and his style of play...but at his current rate of pay $825,000. Even a 10% raise would have been fine. But a $300,000 raise is just stupid.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

what the hell?  I mean what the hell?  It is 1.1 mil PER SEASON.

I thought it was 1.1 for 2 years.  Holy hell. 

1.1 per year for Thornton?

That's just insane.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Prust doesn't even get this money and he PKs, can skate with third line.... thought the Bruins were tight on money next year with all the players that need contracts.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

good signing. I like him, he's a great fit on this team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I don't get it, you could pay a rookie half of that and get more production. And I know, people are going to say he serves a purpose, he fights etc..okay so you need an enforcer, there would be a line of people from the AHL alone who would do that for the minumum.

And I know whats coming next, and unless you've been in the locker room don't tell me how important he is to it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Prust doesn't even get this money and he PKs, can skate with third line.... thought the Bruins were tight on money next year with all the players that need contracts.
    Posted by Bisson1[/QUOTE]
    You can't compare him to Prust in toughness though. Prust doesn't fight the true heavyweights straight up very often and we all saw what happenned when he decided to square off with Lucic. Thornton regularly does well against guys that should be out of his weight class. Still too much money and a year too long though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

[QUOTE]I don't get it, you could pay a rookie half of that and get more production. And I know, people are going to say he serves a purpose, he fights etc..okay so you need an enforcer, there would be a line of people from the AHL alone who would do that for the minumum. And I know whats coming next, and unless you've been in the locker room don't tell me how important he is to it.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

Agreed, players like Thornton aren't rare. Theres plenty out there skating around in the AHL. This money should have gone towards Campbell, who can bring many other things to the team besides his fists.

I like Thornton, but was ready to see him go... if that makes any sense.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I have no problem with Thornton being extended.  He's a good 4th-line energy guy, a role that really suits him on this team.  He also seems to bring some good leadership to the table, at least that is what you read.

I trust that PC and CJ know what he brings and what his value is, thus the extension.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

OK, so what cement heads are availabe this summer?

And what do I see?  George Parros.  UFA this summer.  About the same productivity as Shawn.  Bigger.  Younger. Cheaper at 875k.

How about John Scott?  UFA this summer.  525k.  bigger and younger than Shawn.

Carkner?  UFA this summer, 700k.  And speaking of Senators, Knopka?

Cam Janssen is also going to be a free agent this summer.

I didn't look around that much, but these guys are getting half as much as Thornton.  And looks to me like it will be a buyers market for experienced NHL enforcers this summer.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]OK, so what cement heads are availabe this summer? And what do I see?  George Parros.  UFA this summer.  About the same productivity as Shawn.  Bigger.  Younger. Cheaper at 875k. How about John Scott?  UFA this summer.  525k.  bigger and younger than Shawn. Carkner?  UFA this summer, 700k.  And speaking of Senators, Knopka? Cam Janssen is also going to be a free agent this summer. I didn't look around that much, but these guys are getting half as much as Thornton.  And looks to me like it will be a buyers market for experienced NHL enforcers this summer.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Out of all of those I would only go for Konopka. At least he is excellent on faceoffs and can play a regular shift.

Funny, but as I type this, Zenon was scratched by Ottawa tonight for like the 10th game in a row so what do I know?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

In response to "Re: Bruins extend Thornton": [QUOTE]OK, so what cement heads are availabe this summer? And what do I see?  George Parros.  UFA this summer.  About the same productivity as Shawn.  Bigger.  Younger. Cheaper at 875k. How about John Scott?  UFA this summer.  525k.  bigger and younger than Shawn. Carkner?  UFA this summer, 700k.  And speaking of Senators, Knopka? Cam Janssen is also going to be a free agent this summer. I didn't look around that much, but these guys are getting half as much as Thornton.  And looks to me like it will be a buyers market for experienced NHL enforcers this summer. Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE] Badhab, all of these guys you mentioned are actually overpaid for what they do.. Comparing Thorton to these cement heads is unfair, you have to be able to do your job as well as play hockey.. Thorton has been described by people in the game as the most skilled tough guy in the league.. I like this signing for the B's.. Beyond what he contributes on the ice , from what I read he is a popular Bruin in the community and very giving of his time.. That has value to a team .. Still go back to his insertion in Game 3of last years Finals and how he helped turn the Bruins fortunes around.. Good teammate, backs his players, that's good enough for me..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

In response to "Re: Bruins extend Thornton": [QUOTE]OK, so what cement heads are availabe this summer? And what do I see?  George Parros.  UFA this summer.  About the same productivity as Shawn.  Bigger.  Younger. Cheaper at 875k. How about John Scott?  UFA this summer.  525k.  bigger and younger than Shawn. Carkner?  UFA this summer, 700k.  And speaking of Senators, Knopka? Cam Janssen is also going to be a free agent this summer. I didn't look around that much, but these guys are getting half as much as Thornton.  And looks to me like it will be a buyers market for experienced NHL enforcers this summer. Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE] Badhab, all of these guys you mentioned are actually overpaid for what they do.. Comparing Thorton to these cement heads is unfair, you have to be able to do your job as well as play hockey.. Thorton has been described by people in the game as the most skilled tough guy in the league.. I like this signing for the B's.. Beyond what he contributes on the ice , from what I read he is a popular Bruin in the community and very giving of his time.. That has value to a team .. Still go back to his insertion in Game 3of last years Finals and how he helped turn the Bruins fortunes around.. Good teammate, backs his players, that's good enough for me..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from teibore1. Show teibore1's posts

1.1 against a cap of 50+ mil. Now sign Campbell. Tukka's going to test the market.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Good. Glad to have him back.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

LOL... it had to happen when I decide , for the first time here,  complain on something Thornton did. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]1.1 against a cap of 50+ mil. Now sign Campbell. Tukka's going to test the market.
    Posted by teibore1[/QUOTE]

Tuuka's an RFA, there is no market for him to test......

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Bruins extend Thornton": Badhab, all of these guys you mentioned are actually overpaid for what they do.. Comparing Thorton to these cement heads is unfair, you have to be able to do your job as well as play hockey.. Thorton has been described by people in the game as the most skilled tough guy in the league.. I like this signing for the B's.. Beyond what he contributes on the ice , from what I read he is a popular Bruin in the community and very giving of his time.. That has value to a team .. Still go back to his insertion in Game 3of last years Finals and how he helped turn the Bruins fortunes around.. Good teammate, backs his players, that's good enough for me..
    Posted by cowboys9[/QUOTE]

34.  His best skill days are behind him.  And the older these guys get the less inclined they are to fight.