Bruins extend Thornton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Re: Bruins extend Thornton

In response to "Re: Bruins extend Thornton": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins extend Thornton : 34.  His best skill days are behind him.  And the older these guys get the less inclined they are to fight. Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE] I don't think that applies to Thorton .. I think he takes pride in his play and role on the team..I could be wrong , but I think being one of the Leaders on this team he would let the organization down in that fashion.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBostonBruins. Show TheBostonBruins's posts

I like this signing. Thornton brings value to the team, don't kid yourself. And 10 goals last year shows he can play too. Great character player, adds a lot to the team's overall toughness, brings good energy to the 4th line and can pot a goal now and again. Quiet NAS.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Nice.

Two more years of you guys listening to me complain about this clown.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

completely moronic to compare Konopka to Thornton.. Not only does S.T. play way more minutes than him, he far more consistent (playing over 74 games every season) as well as potting 10 goals last year averaging 10 minutes of -ice time not to mention playing responsibly in his own end IN THE STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS.

honestly, I really don't feel like spending all night defending Thornton, I have better things to do--but it's just laughable to see all the hate here for a 4th liner making 1 million. Its as un-tethered to reality as the Mark Recchi critics were last season.. completely mental. Shawn Thornton would be signed instantly by a contending team if he wasn't playing for the bruins, that's pretty high praise for a 4th liner.

Again, some people just like having a player to hate, it just boggles my mind that thornton is that player.

and it's also laughable that people are bent out of shape over $500,000 of cap space (which is the difference between konopka and S.T's contract)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins extend Thornton:
    [QUOTE]completely moronic to compare Konopka to Thornton.. Not only does S.T. play way more minutes than him, he far more consistent (playing over 74 games every season) as well as potting  10 goals last year averaging 10 minutes of -ice time not to mention playing responsibly in his own end IN THE STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS. honestly, I really don't feel like spending all night defending Thornton, I have better things to do--but it's just laughable to see all the hate here for a 4th liner making 1 million. Its as un-tethered to reality as the Mark Recchi critics were last season.. completely mental. Shawn Thornton would be signed instantly  by a contending team if he wasn't playing for the bruins, that's pretty high praise for a 4th liner. Again, some people just like having a player to hate, it just boggles my mind that thornton is that player.
    Posted by Olsonic[/QUOTE]

How many goals does he have this year? 

How many goals any year but last year?

Leaning on the 10 goals thing is what is boggling, if boggling is possible and spelled correctly.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

About the only way this could be worse is if it included a no movement clause.  You can always bury him in Providence.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I understand people in the organization feel their is a need for him, he fights, it's still part of the game, though I feel his role of strictly enforcer is a diminishing one but why sign him now? And for that much? Do they feel there will be other suitors? I would have let him test the market and let that dictate how much he gets. Personally I think it's too much for that reason.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

I'm wondering if Agents & GM's are operating under the assumption that there will be another salary roll-back in the new CBA, and Chiareli was willing to take a small gamble, and over-pay a little for a 'good soldier'.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

[QUOTE]Nice. Two more years of you guys listening to me complain about this clown.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
       Or, you could figure that we all know how you feel about the guy by now, and give us all a break, and quit harping on the subject.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

You are all right. Thorny has been signed for his ambassadorship in the community; his constant chatter[ wins don't count]; his prescence in Claude's locker room; his appeal to the Townies; it's obviously Chiarelli's investment in public relations. We all know you only really need three lines plus Campbell and Paille.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

How do I really feel --- AAAARRGG

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]I understand people in the organization feel their is a need for him, he fights, it's still part of the game, though I feel his role of strictly enforcer is a diminishing one but why sign him now? And for that much? Do they feel there will be other suitors? I would have let him test the market and let that dictate how much he gets. Personally I think it's too much for that reason.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

kel- no way of knowing the answer to the question to what his market might have been, but you would have to think some teams out there would covet him.  Competent 4th-line energy/enforcers with 2 Stanley Cup rings and a reputation for being a strong guy in the room don't grow on trees. 

Heck, the Rangers gave the Boogeyman a 4yr/$6.5M dollar deal after scoring 2 goals in 250 NHL games.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from teibore1. Show teibore1's posts

In response to "Re: Bruins extend Thornton": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins extend Thornton : Tuuka's an RFA, there is no market for him to test...... Posted by jaywall[/QUOTE RFA meaning the B's can match any offer. If some team offers Tukka 6 - 8 million per year do you think the B's match it? I don't see them spending that much.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bleedinblackandgold. Show Bleedinblackandgold's posts

Great signing.

He's been the heart of this team for the last few years

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]Nice. Two more years of you guys listening to me complain about this clown.

And when you do I'll do like my past fellow male employees and I would do when our fellow female counterparts would start complaining........again.

Walk away because we've heard it all before many times.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Back to the topic. Like.....no love this signing . Energy player and was part of bringing back the " Big Bad Bruin " image that had gone missing from this team for such a long time.

Team toughness is still important IMO. Thornton is a big part of that . A valuable 4th line player.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins extend Thornton :Competent 4th-line energy/enforcers with 2 Stanley Cup rings and a reputation for being a strong guy in the room don't grow on trees. 
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

He is no enforcer.  Opponents do whatever they want with no fear of retribution.  Malking buries Boychuk with Thornton two feet from him and what does this energy/enforcer do?  He yells at James Neal.

The Ducks won the Cup with awesome goaltending and great forwards.  The goon role could have been filled by anyone.

People cite him for turning around the Vancouver series last summer.  Maybe they could have given Paille an extra $100 to go up and down on the bench and yell.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, he's a 4th line role player...every team has its "Designated Thornton."  But, despite his lack of production, he DOES put a lot of effort on the ice and is pretty good on the forecheck. He's well-liked by his teammates and is popular in Beantown.   I agree the money and the term is steep, but if this guy can rally his teammates in the clubhouse then PC must think it's worth the cost. I don't think guys like Konopka, Zenon, or Parros have many pals in their own locker rooms.  
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

Do Konopka or Parros have bad reputations?  Not that I've heard.  Also, keep in mind that Zenon isn't a different person.  "Zenon" is Konopka's first name.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Back to the topic. Like.....no love this signing . Energy player and was part of bringing back the " Big Bad Bruin " image that had gone missing from this team for such a long time. Team toughness is still important IMO. Thornton is a big part of that . A valuable 4th line player.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Lucic, Horton, Campbell, McQuaid, Boychuk and Chara brought back the "Big Bad Bruin" image.  Skilled players that can also fight.

The B's have always had skating clowns.  Thornton is just another in a long line of wasted roster spots.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Great signing. He's been the heart of this team for the last few years
    Posted by Bleedinblackandgold[/QUOTE]

What does that even mean?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

This signing makes perfect sense from every angle. Except the hockey angle.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins extend Thornton : Lucic, Horton, Campbell, McQuaid, Boychuk and Chara brought back the "Big Bad Bruin" image.  Skilled players that can also fight. The B's have always had skating clowns.  Thornton is just another in a long line of wasted roster spots.

..........as many teams have in the last 50 years. Do you know something about building an NHL roster that the GM's of those teams didn't ? 

If NAS says it's true then it must be true. Couldn't resist.