Bruins Fire Head of Scouting

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Bruins Fire Head of Scouting

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/52842-Bruins-firing-head-of-scouting-an-odd-move.html

Let the conspiracy theories begin.  What was the first thing that came to mind?  Honestly.  Mine was Seguin.  Did he get fired for not knowing the character of this player?  Most likely not the reason, but that's what popped into my head.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Bruins Fire Head of Scouting

Boom!  We've been calling for this for years.

I think it was Red or San that pointed out the misery from Scandanavia over the past 20 years.  Hopefully the new HOS will give that fool the gate as well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I think it was Red or San that pointed out the misery from Scandanavia over the past 20 years.  Hopefully the new HOS will give that fool the gate as well.

I've been screaming for that for a while, the guy has had the job since forever and they've obtained very few players from Sweden or Finland.

And I doubt strongly that this has anything to do with Seguin, there was no choice but to make that pick.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Book said it best in one of his posts, but to summarize he said that when they've blown it with a draft pick, they've blown it big.  Like Denis Reul or Lars Volden, just awful players.

If this organization can do a better job than they have at drafting, I think that would be awesome.  They weren't terrible at drafting by any means, they were a bit above average.  An improvement upon that would be fantastic.  Where they were weak, they were glaringly weak - Europe, Sandinavia.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I would love to know more about exactly how clubs spend their scouting dollars. Who's on the staff? how does it work? How many games do they see, and at what levels? We all have some idea of how it works, but anyone have a good source on the realities?

I sat up in the nosebleeds at a Portland Pirates game last year next to a couple of scouts from Montreal. They drove down to watch a guy in the Phoenix system. Two people, sitting in the back to watch one guy owned by the Yotes...with massive binders on their laps and lots of charts and graphs they were filling out. It was crazy. Never would've guessed it's that grassroots an effort.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

Book said it best in one of his posts, but to summarize he said that when they've blown it with a draft pick, they've blown it big.  Like Denis Reul or Lars Volden, just awful players.

If this organization can do a better job than they have at drafting, I think that would be awesome.  They weren't terrible at drafting by any means, they were a bit above average.  An improvement upon that would be fantastic.  Where they were weak, they were glaringly weak - Europe, Sandinavia.

No scouting discussion is complete without BHab bringing up his favorite draft pick!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

No scouting discussion is complete without BHab bringing up his favorite draft pick!

Tommy Cross?  Zach Hamill?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Ryan Button was a pretty brutal pick too. 3rd rounder that can't consistently stick with the AHL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I've been praying for this for a long long time. I think we had a thread a while ago about who we most want to see gone from the organization (Most people said a player) My choice was Svennson. The guy has a miserable record and he's been there longer than some of the posters here have been alive.

If this move means he gets canned as well, then I'm all for it.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to stanjon's comment:

I just mentioned 2 weeks ago how bad their scouting has been. Get rid of the other chiarelli too!

Wish Gorton was still here!

He's one of their OHL scouts - in the 4 years he's been there, the OHL has been one of their few bright spots scouting wise from what it looks like so far. 6 of their top 10 prospects are OHL grads/players.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Lars Volden is an awful player?  He was just drafted in 2011 (181st overall) and is only 20 years old.  What were you expecting?  I thought he was doing well in the SM Liiga, but still wouldn't be called over to N. America for another couple years.  A late young draft pick/long-term goalie project.  Thought that one was a good pick...no?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to red75's comment:

[QUOTE]

I just mentioned 2 weeks ago how bad their scouting has been. Get rid of the other chiarelli too!

Wish Gorton was still here!

He's one of their OHL scouts - in the 4 years he's been there, the OHL has been one of their few bright spots scouting wise from what it looks like so far.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, stanjon/marco/winthecup/bruins8/heyoo isn't making any sense with any of his numerous accounts.  The OHL has been the bright spot largely.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I've been praying for this for a long long time. I think we had a thread a while ago about who we most want to see gone from the organization (Most people said a player) My choice was Svennson.

If this move means he gets canned as well, then I'm all for it.

I'd kinda like to see anyone remotely responsible for the power play from the last 3 years or so. (other than Claude)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Lars Volden is an awful player?  He was just drafted in 2011 (181st overall) and is only 20 years old.  What were you expecting?  I thought he was doing well in the SM Liiga, but still wouldn't be called over to N. America for another couple years.  A late young draft pick/long-term goalie project.  Thought that one was a good pick...no? [/QUOTE]

Great pick but saw Svedberg, Subban and Rask already n the system. Plus Chiarelli never signed him so he re-enters the draft.

Bring MOCs guy back...

2006 Entry                                      
    Draft            Num.  Round   Player        P              Drafted From                       GP   
    2006 Entry     5       1     Phil Kessel     C            U. of Minnesota [WCHA]        504    
    2006 Entry     50     2     Milan Lucic      L            Vancouver Giants [WHL]        405    
    2006 Entry     71     3     Brad Marchand     R     Moncton Wildcats [QMJHL]     218  

2005 Entry     106     4     Vladimir Sobotka C     Slavia Praha HC [Czech]       320

2004 Entry   Num.    Round    Player          P            Drafted          From              GP     
    2004 Entry     63       2     David Krejci       C     Kladno Jrs (Czech Rep.)              424    
    2004 Entry     134     5     Kris Versteeg     R     Lethbridge Hurricanes [WHL]     331    
    2004 Entry     224     7     Matt Hunwick     D     U. of Michigan [CCHA]                291

2003 Entry                        
    Draft             Num.  Round     Player      P     Drafted From                                GP   
    2003 Entry     21     1     Mark Stuart     D     Colorado College [WCHA]           428    
    2003 Entry     45     2     P. Bergeron     C     Acadie-Bathurst Titan [QMJHL]    579

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

His first draft was 2010 - that year the OHL gave the Bruins Spooner and Knight, both of whom will be fighting for a spot this season. 2011, gave them some guy named Hamilton, and Koko and Camara out of the OHL, potentially good players still in junior this past season who will be in Rhode Island next year. 2012 they got a top end player out of the OHL in Subban, and Griffith seems to be developping ok - who knows about 2013. Most of the guys he's helped pick are still in junior. You're seriously jumping the gun with complaining about not many of them having been in the NHL yet.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Lars Volden is an awful player?  He was just drafted in 2011 (181st overall) and is only 20 years old.  What were you expecting?  I thought he was doing well in the SM Liiga, but still wouldn't be called over to N. America for another couple years.  A late young draft pick/long-term goalie project.  Thought that one was a good pick...no?

When I saw him at camp he looked very much like a high school freshman goalie and couldn't stop a beach ball.  Youtube him.  You might see the goal that was scored on him that happened like this - shot went wide of the net, bounced off the boards and then bounced off his backside and in the goal.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

His first draft was 2010 - that year the OHL gave the Bruins Spooner and Knight, both of whom will be fighting for a spot this season. 2011, gave them some guy named Hamilton, and Koko and Camara out of the OHL, potentially good players still in junior this past season who will be in Rhode Island next year. 2012 they got a top end player out of the OHL in Subban, and Griffith seems to be developping ok - who knows about 2013. Most of the guys he's helped pick are still in junior. You're seriously jumping the gun with complaining about not many of them having been in the NHL yet.

They took Spooner over Tyler Toffoli.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

How many players from the ohl  not including Seguin (easy pick) have made it to the nhl and as you said he is one of the ohl scouts sounds a little like nepotism 

Four. 

How many more were you expecting when the oldest is 23 years old...........or do you figure they should all just jump straight to the NHL after being drafted ?

As of this year coming, all of them ( except traded Cody Payne and newly drafted Mitchell Dempsey) will be signed and playing pro hockey.

Pretty darn good drafting from that league, eh ?

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Scouting Staff Scott Fitzgerald Assistant Director of Amateur Scouting Mike Chiarelli Amateur Scout Adam Creighton Amateur Scout Jack Higgins Amateur Scout Jukka Holtari European HEAD Scout Keith Gretzky Amateur Scout Denis LeBlanc Amateur Scout Dean Malkoc Amateur Scout Mike McGraw High School & Collegiate Scout Tom McVie Professional Scout Ryan Nadeau Director of Hockey Administration
    Collegiate Scout Jeremy Rogalski Video Analyst Svenake Svensson European Scout

Honestly had no idea tha Gretzky's brother was on staff.  Or Tom Fitzgerald's brother.  Or PC's brother. 

Dean Malkoc?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

While the timing may suggest so. i dont think Seguin being drafted had much to do with the firing, only because when it's a number 2 overall pick, Chiarelli himself is going to as familiar with him and Taylor Hall becuse he would have gone and seen and interviewed them himself. A 4th or 5th round draft choice, I'm sure he relies more on the scouts, but a pick that high he's going to be more hands on.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

They took Spooner over Tyler Toffoli.

[/QUOTE]

And you seem to be the only one who has ever complained about this..... well, maybe bim ( with his expertise on drafted players ) also. 

PC, at the trade deadline said Subban and Spooner were not being traded. That says something about what the Bruins organization thinks of Spooner............which is different then your thoughts .......of course. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

re: picking Seguin.  No question they had to pick Tyler.  Look at that draft and point out a player anywhere near as good - other than Taylor Hall.