Bruins' One Glaring Flaw Gives Leafs Hope - Toronto Star

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Bruins' One Glaring Flaw Gives Leafs Hope - Toronto Star

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2013/05/09/formidable_bruins_have_one_glaring_flaw_feschuk.

A little pre-Game 5 reading from Toronto Star sports writer Dave Feschuk who suggests the Bruins' past of creating obstacles and predicaments for themselves in the playoffs by extending series to their limit should have Leaf fans keeping Sunday open for the possibility of attending Game 6 in Toronto.

Of course the Philly series of 2010 is mentioned along with the seven game series in the first, third and fourth round of the 2011 Cup year.  The flip side is what Rob Longley mentioned in yesterday's Toronto Sun; that the Bruins were 15-2 in seven-game series in which they jumped out to a 3-1 lead. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Re: Bruins' One Glaring Flaw Gives Leafs Hope - Toronto Star

Grasping for straws I say.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Desperation

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Guys, I took it as Feschuk alerting Leaf fans to the idea the Bruins have let teams up of the mat before, given them life when it looked like their lights were about to go out - as the Leafs' are later tonight.  15-2 in seven-game series in which they've jumped out to a 3-1 lead is pretty much lock down and these Bruins about to make it a tidy 16-2.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

Not to worry, as long Dion Phanuef is manning the point for the Leafs, I like our chances at making it 16-2. Bruins will close it out tonight !

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I'd say health is the only thing that can derail the Bruins... not sure about Bergeron, Marchand, Horton, Boychuk or McQuaid right now (and they are still playing well enough to win!)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:

I'd say health is the only thing that can derail the Bruins... not sure about Bergeron, Marchand, Horton, Boychuk or McQuaid right now (and they are still playing well enough to win!)

They are all very frail and weak.  It's a major concern and keeps me up at night.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Why some media types try to make connections between tonight's game and what happened 1. 2 or 3 years ago is...DUMB!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

Why some media types try to make connections between tonight's game and what happened 1. 2 or 3 years ago is...DUMB!

They're trying to be positive and also keep their access to the Leafs.

A headline of "Expect A Beating Tonight in Boston" wouldn't help them very much!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Beezfan4life's comment:

Not to worry, as long Dion Phanuef is manning the point for the Leafs, I like our chances at making it 16-2. Bruins will close it out tonight !

Good points all Beezfan.  He's taken a bit of a media frying up here in the days since.  A FAN 590 announcer defended him on their early morning show yesterday saying if he were on the Bruins he'd be their number two D behind Chara. 

He then added "Where would Seidenberg rank on the Leafs' back end?  Maybe third behind Phaneuf and Jake Gardiner?"  Okay.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to hangnail's comment:

They're trying to be positive and also keep their access to the Leafs.

A headline of "Expect A Beating Tonight in Boston" wouldn't help them very much!

You're right, NAS.  We're more used to variations of that headline like "Leafs Take A Beating In Boston!" or "Leafs Get Raked In Boston!" 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

I don't understand where this is coming from, granted these guys suffered injuries at the end of the season, but where is the extra risk with these guys now?? There is no mention that any of these guys are playing hurt now.

So, the reality is this....and the only thing that will derail this B's team is better talent...Pittsburgh and Chicago being two examples.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Derail them in the sense of clinching the series tonight or fumbling the series outright?  I think the roster would have to be pretty much decimated for that to happen.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

I don't understand where this is coming from, granted these guys suffered injuries at the end of the season, but where is the extra risk with these guys now?? There is no mention that any of these guys are playing hurt now.

So, the reality is this....and the only thing that will derail this B's team is better talent...Pittsburgh and Chicago being two examples.

And as we know in the playoffs there won't be any mention of specifics.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

As long as the Leafs play with the same energy as the last game, they still have a chance of winning any game. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

As long as the Leafs play with the same energy as the last game, they still have a chance of winning any game. 

I agree, the Bruins will have to earn it. I don't expect the Leafs to just lay down tonight.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

No it wouldn't but just once I'd LOVE to read a headline like that before a game. The NY Post comes closer than most when they are trashing one of the NY teams but it's always after the game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Okay, I admit it: in the predictions thread I picked Bruins in 7 for almost exactly this reason.  This Bruins team may win, but so often it seems they win hard.  I'm not thinking about other playoffs either, I am thinking about this season.

At this point though, they would have to completely fall off the rails to loose 3-straight to Toronto.  With the way Toronto has played, that's not out of the realm of possibility... but I don't think the Bruins let that happen.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

With Carlyle leading, the Leafs will come out at full bore. The "newsies" are just stirring the pot. The Bruins do have some guys who are hurt. Tops among them is Marchand who hasn't had his usual speed and support for Bergeron who takes the brunt of hard checks all night long. Jagr has his positives, but his slow shift changes are allowing the Leafs too much advantage in the attacking zone. Go Bruins, this one will be as tough as they come.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

This will all be an afterthought after tonight when the B's win 5-2.

Go Bruins!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

I thought Julien slid in a little dig to the writer when asked about the 'Killer instinct' to not let the other team back in...

“We’re going to need (killer instinct),” Julien said. “You’ve got to win that last game. We’ve seen it. We’ve been part of it, seeing we were up 3-0 against Philly a few years back. Thankfully it served us well in the future. And hopefully it will serve us well here in this next game. This is a pretty good team we’re playing. We’re not saying it just to say it.”

What I read from that was, "All teams up 3-1 need to keep the pedal down, We put the past failures in the rearview mirror and won the Stanley Cup since then. We also don't want to create any locker room quotes that the Leafs might try to rally around."

I expect the series to end tonight. Marchand and Seguin 1G, 1A each.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

It's never over till it's over, though as the B's stats show, it's more likely to be over.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Bruins in 5!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

The Bruins one glaring weakness is that they haven't won the fourth game yet. Thanks Toronto Star.