Bruins talent is subpar this season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

Bruins talent is subpar this season

When your second line has a player (Smith) who's best NHL season is 3 goals output, and who has Caron slated in for 3rd line, and has lost a lot of speed AND a great backup (replacing him with someone who the B's pbviously don't trust) this all spells trouble friends. Time to package Caron and maybe Subban for a 1st and second/3rd round pick (and don't let Chia pick the draft picks, that guy can't pick a seat in an empty theater. Hamill-Caron-Seguin--none could hack it here.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Bruins talent is subpar this season

While they might be different than before, your ability continues on a even level of suck year after year.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Eriksson is part of that replacement too.  I know he's injured now but he'll be back.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I get the regret about Seguin, because a) he is a very talented, young player and b) the line he vacated (second, not third where he was serving a detention for non-performance/smelling like a brewery) is struggling to score at its usual pace.  I just don't get it with Horton.  I can see a bit of nostalgia because he scored some huge goals.  But he was a dog for long, long stretches of the regular season every year.  When they got him, there was the usual fantasy that a guy who is a 28-30 goal scorer in Florida could get 40 on a line with Krejci and Lucic.  He struggled to get to 40 points.  Last year, at the pace he was scoring, he'd have had 42 points over 82 games.  His last 8 games in the regular season, with first place in the division and maybe the conference in reach, Horton posted a 1-0-1 line and was a -3.  He had one game in that stretch with more than 2 shots.  He had two 5 game pointless streak and a four game pointless streak in the final 26 games, and had points in only 8 of those 26 games total.  He had 11 points in those 26 games.  That's a 35 point season from a first liner.  How can you pine for a guy with that level of ghost factor?  His best year was cut short by injury.  He was on close to a 70 point pace in 2011-12.  As it turned out, his only 80 game year topped out at 53 points.  As a first line RW.  I just don't see how you can say they'll miss that given how well Iginla has played to date.  He's been slow out of the gate, and he's still on pace to top Horton's best season in Boston with a 57 point year.  And he's already been more physical than Horton.

Smith will be back on the 3rd line soon enough, and he has half a season of NHL experience, so citing his "best year" is dubious.  Caron is a spare part.  That was the plan after camp.  He's filled in with mixed results, but he's the 13th forward - or he was.  Spooner may have taken that from him.  And I still think that, by season's end, people will be talking about the Marchand-Bergeron-Eriksson line as the best two-way unit in hockey.  They haven't played 10 games together yet.  This isn't NHL2013.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Great Post Book, but why you wasted 2 long paragraghs trying to reason with one of the BDC's top 10 Idiots is beyond me. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Totally agree with Book on Horton and Seguin.  I watched Dallas play the other night and thought Seguin might have been the best player on the ice.  His confidence is brimming there with being 'the guy' and getting tons of opportunity.  Dangerous on most shifts.  He looked great until I saw him miss a back check leading to an easy goal the other way (which I think was the game winner).  So, that helped a little.

I don't think the Bruins will miss Horton at all with Iginla in the mix.  I know all about the clutch playoff goals, but there's no reason to assume that someone else won't be just as opportunistic this year.  Horton looked pretty bad in some long stretches of the regular season.  I think the B's are better off the way it worked out.

Or, is this post really all about Sweethands being in Providence?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I get the regret about Seguin, because a) he is a very talented, young player and b) the line he vacated (second, not third where he was serving a detention for non-performance/smelling like a brewery) is struggling to score at its usual pace.  I just don't get it with Horton.  I can see a bit of nostalgia because he scored some huge goals.  But he was a dog for long, long stretches of the regular season every year.  When they got him, there was the usual fantasy that a guy who is a 28-30 goal scorer in Florida could get 40 on a line with Krejci and Lucic.  He struggled to get to 40 points.  Last year, at the pace he was scoring, he'd have had 42 points over 82 games.  His last 8 games in the regular season, with first place in the division and maybe the conference in reach, Horton posted a 1-0-1 line and was a -3.  He had one game in that stretch with more than 2 shots.  He had two 5 game pointless streak and a four game pointless streak in the final 26 games, and had points in only 8 of those 26 games total.  He had 11 points in those 26 games.  That's a 35 point season from a first liner.  How can you pine for a guy with that level of ghost factor?  His best year was cut short by injury.  He was on close to a 70 point pace in 2011-12.  As it turned out, his only 80 game year topped out at 53 points.  As a first line RW.  I just don't see how you can say they'll miss that given how well Iginla has played to date.  He's been slow out of the gate, and he's still on pace to top Horton's best season in Boston with a 57 point year.  And he's already been more physical than Horton.

Smith will be back on the 3rd line soon enough, and he has half a season of NHL experience, so citing his "best year" is dubious.  Caron is a spare part.  That was the plan after camp.  He's filled in with mixed results, but he's the 13th forward - or he was.  Spooner may have taken that from him.  And I still think that, by season's end, people will be talking about the Marchand-Bergeron-Eriksson line as the best two-way unit in hockey.  They haven't played 10 games together yet.  This isn't NHL2013.

[/QUOTE]

Yes Marco does seem to have memories of just Horton's heroic OT goals, and i for one am very thankful as well, but what Book mentions and happened alot was Nathan disappearing for long stretches of the regular season. Why do you think B's management didn't engage in contract talks with Hortons camp all last year? Because they were well aware of his injury history and no shows during the regular season. With the money Nathan got that is a lot to tie up in a regular season ghost at times. They watched him in the playoffs and decided they would like to have him back but i for one do not believe they would have paid Columbus's price anyway. For my money and for overall consistent effort, Jarome is worth the money. The romantic and historic visionaries on the board like to only remember the good times.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Book, like your perspective and consider this title to be from a very dubious and uninformed source. The existing Bruins team has more talent than we have seen before. The confusion, and lack of cohesion stems from Claude's slowness in making a decision, or any decision, that is different than he planned it in July and August.  he did not expect Eriksson to be hurt, and he expected more from Marchand, who finally awoke during the last game, as others still snoozed. Rielly Smith has all the tools you want in a top six forward except the ability to score. That should not have been a suprise. So, you have a 1st line that will continue to be a major benefit; a second line that has been off the tracks with alternative and new players, creating more challenges than even Bergeron can absorb; a third line that is still evolving, and should be very good; and then there is the 4th , or Merlot line, where neither Campbell or Paille are up to speed, and Thornton should have been retired, not playing regularly. On defense Claude has been challenged by three talented rookies showing skills that Claude's dependable veterans have never had, and that Claude is still trying to sort out in his less than flexible manner. They finally have Chara blocking the other goalie's sight lines on the PP, and more movement rather than a stoic umbrella. Spooner has presented Claude with another challenge, and if Claude would replace Thornton with Caron[ who plays the way Claude has taught] then Claude could address some of the other challenges, Or Chia could initiate some trades with the quality on hand. The resources are available. It is now time for leadership to initiate the proper adjustments.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

The talent is there, and I think that management assembled a great team. Everyone was raving about the offseason acquisitions and how Iginla would be an equal or better fit than Horton, and how Eriksson would be a better fit than Seguin.

Reilly Smith is 22 years old, and has shown some pretty solid skill, in my eyes. When the team is healthy and perhaps Marchand gets going, a 3rd line of Kelly centering Smith and Soderberg is nothing to scoff at. Perhaps they even trade Caron (he's a lost cause...he likely won't pan out), and bring up Spooner and have these lines:

Lucic-Krejci-Iginla

Marchand - Bergeron - Eriksson

Smith - Spooner - Kelly

Paille - Campbell - Soderberg

They made the cup with lesser talent (in my opinion) last year. They didn't peak during the regular season a year ago, and in 2011-2012, they were dreadful in the first 10 games (3-7-0).

No need to hit the panic button what so ever. This team has plenty of ability to make another deep playoff run. I like the talent, potential, and DEPTH that this team has over last year, beyond a shadow of doubt. Does nobody recall how terrible the 3rd line was a year ago? How mediocre (being generous) Seguin was? How horrible Lucic was? Kelly, Peverley? The only forwards who produced even remotely consistently were Krejci, Bergeron, Marchand and Paille last year, and they were a screen shot (Seabrook) a skate (Oduya off Ference) and a minute (game 6) away from winning the Cup last year.

Got about 70 games to go. Relax.

11. This post has been removed.