Bruins through first 10 games

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

As the Bruins continue on there horrible start after such a great season last year I can’t help but think it maybe time for Chiarelli to stir things up a little. I don’t mean blow it up but just send a shot across the brow of the team to wake them up.

Now after 10 games it might be time to evaluate some of the top players performances so far including the coaching staff.

David Krejci:
    I love this guys game when he is on but right now he is not getting it done. When he is playing well he makes so many little subtle plays in all 3 zones that make him such a special player. But 1 point in his first 7 games is simply unacceptable. I realize he was injured early on but he has to be better. In fairness to him I thought he played well last night but has to find a way to get more involved and out of this slump he is in. He can be much better & will be much better. I have all the confidence that he will be a part of the solution but needs to get it going soon.

Patrice Bergeron:
    My favorite player on the Bruins. Outstanding in the defensive side of the game & does all the little things that does not show up on score sheet. To this point in the season he has been good. Not great but good. My concern with Bergeron is at this point in his career he lacks offensive creativity. This guy was such a special offensive player when he first arrived on the scene but that offensive burst is just not there the last few years. I realize he had the serious concussion but I really hoped his offensive game would return. But to this point I just don’t see it and it pains me to say it. It seems he escapes criticism to much & I am at the top of that list. People love to blast certain guys but Bergeron deserves some criticism for his offensive game as well. Fair is fair & I hope Bergy can provide a bit more offence then he is currently generating. He is very well compensated & should produce a little more. I have no problem with the money he makes because he brings so much to the table but sometimes the favorites avoid criticism a little more then they should. 

However, not to make excuses for the guy but I really believe he still could be a more creative offensive player under a different coach. Claude utilizes him in such a defensive role I firmly believe it has negatively impacted his offensive game. A new coach down the line maybe what the doctor ordered to refresh Bergy’s offensive game.

Tyler Seguin:
    Best Bruins offensive player thus far and only going to get better. Has made huge strides thus far this year & I can really see him taking off later in the season when he even gets more comfortable. Would prefer the Bs use him in the middle but am really starting to think he would absolutely light it up if paired with Krejci. Seguin’s speed & shooting skills with Krejci’s hockey sense & passing skills could make them a dynamic duo. Hopefully Claude will give them that opportunity at some point soon.

Milan Lucic
    : I love Lucic & the uniqueness he brings to the Bs. However, I don’t think he has the overall offensive skills to be a first line player. It seems he sometimes forgets what initially brought him his early success in his career. He lacks speed and quickness to be that elite player that some anticipated he would. I think if CJ dropped in down to the 2nd or 3rd line Lucic may bring his aggressiveness back to his game rather then being so worried about offence. A very unique player who can change the dynamic of a game with his physicality. Get back to the basics & the offence will still come but I feel he will have a much greater impact in the games by playing more physical & keeping it simple.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

Re: Bruins through first 10 games

Nathan Horton: This is the guy I would use in a potential deal to stir things up. Horton is a good player but I don’t consider him a core player. I just think he lacks the hockey sense to be the player many thought he would become early in his career. His stick handling skills are very questionable and he takes way to many dumb penalties for my liking. He has a rocket of a shot but he takes way to long to get it off. To stir the pot on this team it would be senseless to get rid of a 4th line player. Horton is that top 2 line player that I would shop right now to send a message that this lackluster team performance will not be tolerated.

Brad Marchand:
    I seriously believe this guy is the most skilled left winger on the team. He is quick & can dangle with the puck.. Sometimes his antics get the better of him but like Krejci he is part of the solution going forward. He has had some decent moments this year but he also has to be better.

Thomas/Rask:
    Goaltending is far from the problem on the Bruins again this year. Thomas is not off to the start he was last season obviously but he has been solid. In Rasks limited playing time he has also been solid. I thought he looked very good last night but was left out to dry again. If I was CJ I would go straight back to him on Tuesday against the Senators rather then have him sit for another 10 days stewing over another loss in which the team let him down.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

Joe Corvo: Has not been impressive. Looks out of control in his own end & has not helped the PP at all like he was expected to do. Same thing happened to Tomas Kaberle who looked lost as a Bruin. So why is it that PP players like Kaberle & Corvo have been so unsuccessful helping the PP? That PP is the most pressing need & worse fault on this team and if the Bs expect to have the same success they had last season without a PP they are in for a surprise.

Coaching:
    Can someone answer me how an NHL PP has looked so inept for 3 straight seasons? Why does this coaching staff continue to do the same things over and over when it is simply not working. Work the halfboards & feed the points for shots that either miss the net or get blocked. Stationary & predicable. No matter who they put out there the PP is horrendous. Yet we see very little changes & very little accountability from the coaching staff. This staff deserves a lot of credit for the defensive system they play & the fact they were able to win a Stanley Cup. But the lack of accountability & urgency regarding the PP over the past 3 years is extremely frustrating.

I really believe this team will turn it around shortly but am starting to wonder if playing "Claudes System" is  much tougher to play now that they have reached the ultimate goal. Now that they have won the cup perhaps some of these players maybe wishing they could play a little more up-tempo style & have some "fun" playing the game rather then worrying about "skating the lane" & being in "position defensively". Perhaps they would prefer a little more aggressive forechecking scheme in an attempt to create more offence. That may ultimately be part of the tough start. Maybe the reigns need to be lifted a little bit to make coming to the rink everyday a little more fun.

Sorry for the long 3 part post if anyone has made it this far. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

Very goog anaylisis... I hope that injury is the problemforsome of the underachivers because if November is not above 500 you can kiss the playoffs goodbye...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

I think your analysis is pretty accurate.  Good post.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

@Newfiebullet I agree with you but the players have to realize that not even the Caps with Ovy can win by playing an uptempo game and by having "fun".  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins through first 10 games:
    [QUOTE]@ Newfiebullet   I agree with you but the players have to realize that not even the Caps with Ovy can win by playing an uptempo game and by having "fun".  
    Posted by mattbs[/QUOTE]

I agree there has to be some structure to there game. But my point is simply that now they have reached that ultimate goal it maybe a little tougher to continue such a structured "system" for games in October that do not have the intensity of games they played in May & June.

I am not advocating opening it up like the 1980s Oilers teams. But I do feel the "system" can be tweaked to produce some additional offence & generate a little more offensive creativity & ultimately more fun for the players.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

I think a team can can always be tweaked depending on their record or who they are playing but if you look at a team like the wings when they were winning cups the players always played the system that made then successful.  This is the worst start by a cup champion in over 20 years.  The players have to realize their capabilities...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Newfie, don't disagree with much of what you stated, but there's a lot more to the team that you left out. Hockey is a team sport and it needs the entire team to produce effective results. This team began with Claude and Chara , and has been designed with defense first and a 1-0 or 2-1 game plan. In this year's game there seems to be more run and gun offense and teams are focusing on putting pucks into a scramble in front, or cross crease tips to produce scoring. Once they are down a couple of goals, it's not easy for this team, with only two scoring lines to come back. How do you propose to fix it?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins through first 10 games : Rask should have had the second goal in my opinion.How many times are people going to suggest that the team hangs Rask out to dry but plays so much better for TT.Thomas wouldn't have let in the first goal either Rask didn't see it because he wasn't looking for the puck,TT would have been peeking around the traffic to make sure he saw it.When TT plays the team at the least has a chance to win.It has been quite a while since Rask has given this team good solid goaltending.  
    Posted by DallasSmith[/QUOTE]

From your post it appears you have your mind made up about Rask so it is no sense for me to debate you. I thought the 2nd goal was a great shot & to say Thomas would of definitely had the 1st one is an assumption on your part.

I am more concerned about the lack of offence & the PP then the goaltending. I don't feel goaltending is an issue right now & that includes Rask. There are far more problems then the goaltending.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

Hopefully this coaching staff will also make some adjustments in the fore checking & transition game. Lord knows they have been unable to make PP adjustments. I think a little more aggressive fore check would help. I also think allowing certain dman to carry the puck a little longer would also prevent other teams from boxing out the forwards so much. It would help the transition game & give the B’s more options through the neutral zone with speed. Do they have the personal for that? Other then Corvo & possibly Ference probably not. So maybe they deal a Horton for another PMD but this time allow the PMD to be creative & carry the puck. I think the Bruins didn't utilize Kaberles strenghts. I realize the guy was soft as butter but in his defence he was lost in the system & wasn`t allowed to skate with the puck. I think you are seeing the same from Corvo

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

I realize I left a lot of guys out but felt the top forwards are the guys who have to start producing offensively. The only Dman I mentioned was Corvo because he was an offseason addition and I am unimpressed at this point at his ability to help the offence and PP to this point.

We also have to realize that along with the Stanley Cup came lots of scouting the Bruins by the league. Teams have made adjustments to the Bruins system and are exploiting them right now. Get the Bruins box moving & create cross ice passes & crash the front of the net for the ensuing chaos.

As we are all aware the Bruins physical presence last season had a huge part to do with there success. I think teams realize that and are not getting caught up in that style of play. Now the Bs are taking some terrible undisciplined penalties like last night and teams are capitalizing. I certainly don`t blame the refs for the Bruins start but I  do believe there physical style received some complaints to the league. Do you remember Jim Hughson`s comments on CBC in the final saying "the Bruins wanted to take the game to the gutter"? The comments infuriated me but I do believe there is that perception out there that certain Bs were taking liberties on guys. I don't agree with that but I think that is the perception of some around the league.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

[QUOTE]Nathan Horton: This is the guy I would use in a potential deal to stir things up. Horton is a good player but I don’t consider him a core player. I just think he lacks the hockey sense to be the player many thought he would become early in his career. His stick handling skills are very questionable and he takes way to many dumb penalties for my liking. He has a rocket of a shot but he takes way to long to get it off. To stir the pot on this team it would be senseless to get rid of a 4th line player. Horton is that top 2 line player that I would shop right now to send a message that this lackluster team performance will not be tolerated. Brad Marchand: I seriously believe this guy is the most skilled left winger on the team. He is quick & can dangle with the puck.. Sometimes his antics get the better of him but like Krejci he is part of the solution going forward. He has had some decent moments this year but he also has to be better. Thomas/Rask: Goaltending is far from the problem on the Bruins again this year. Thomas is not off to the start he was last season obviously but he has been solid. In Rasks limited playing time he has also been solid. I thought he looked very good last night but was left out to dry again. If I was CJ I would go straight back to him on Tuesday against the Senators rather then have him sit for another 10 days stewing over another loss in which the team let him down.
    Posted by Newfiebullet[/QUOTE] Rask should have had the second goal in my opinion.How many times are people going to suggest that the team hangs Rask out to dry but plays so much better for TT.Thomas wouldn't have let in the first goal either Rask didn't see it because he wasn't looking for the puck,TT would have been peeking around the traffic to make sure he saw it.When TT plays the team at the least has a chance to win.It has been quite a while since Rask has given this team good solid goaltending.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Newfie - Excellent post.  Clearly it's tough for the Bruins to get revved up again after reaching the dizzying heights of last June.  I suppose there is comfort in knowing they can raise their level of play but when?  Thing is I recall reading where Scotty Bowman said often bad habits can unconsciously creep their way into a club's form and become a difficult task to root out.  We're seeing it now.  The Bruins are still dining off the fat of the championship and aren't in the least hungry.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Solid analysis. I agree Horton has been truly awful but I'm not ready to give up him just yet but he may need some press box time. But not really sure if that would help either cause like u said he seems to lack overall hockey sense.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

Bottom line for me -- More losses than I expected -- No blowouts -- outshooting and outplaying a few of the losses -- hitting posts and crossbars -- power play anemic but puck is staying in the zone and getting chances. Not like the power plays of years past where they couldn't even gain the zone for 2 minutes straight. Just not that concerned -- YET.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Newfie, nice analysis, well thought out.  My sentiments for the most part.  Krejci, I beleive is still struggling with the "core injury".  The Bergeron line with Marchand included has been the major focus of opponents, as the so called first line has been so inept at scoring.  The third line is in transition partially caused by the Krejci injury but the fact Seguin has been promoted, at least for now.  The defense has been limited by the inability to move the puck out of the defensive zone in a quick and decisive way.  Montreal was anticipating the passes almost to perfection.  The goaltending has not carried the team like last year, to me that is the biggest difference.  The power play has been just flatlined for over a year.  Your analysis of coaching is spot on in that regard.  Thanks for the work on the analysis, it makes you think!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins through first 10 games : From your post it appears you have your mind made up about Rask so it is no sense for me to debate you. I thought the 2nd goal was a great shot & to say Thomas would of definitely had the 1st one is an assumption on your part. I am more concerned about the lack of offence & the PP then the goaltending. I don't feel goaltending is an issue right now & that includes Rask. There are far more problems then the goaltending.
    Posted by Newfiebullet[/QUOTE] There seems to be a general theme in your post's that you are a huge Rask fan[nothing wrong with that]but I wonder if it is clouding  your objectivity.You are an intelligent member of the board but it often seems like you are more concerned about Rask's development than the overall success of the Bruins.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In Response to Bruins through first 10 games:
    [QUOTE]As the Bruins continue on there horrible start after such a great season last year I can’t help but think it maybe time for Chiarelli to stir things up a little. I don’t mean blow it up but just send a shot across the brow of the team to wake them up. Now after 10 games it might be time to evaluate some of the top players performances so far including the coaching staff. David Krejci: I love this guys game when he is on but right now he is not getting it done. When he is playing well he makes so many little subtle plays in all 3 zones that make him such a special player. But 1 point in his first 7 games is simply unacceptable. I realize he was injured early on but he has to be better. In fairness to him I thought he played well last night but has to find a way to get more involved and out of this slump he is in. He can be much better & will be much better. I have all the confidence that he will be a part of the solution but needs to get it going soon. Patrice Bergeron: My favorite player on the Bruins. Outstanding in the defensive side of the game & does all the little things that does not show up on score sheet. To this point in the season he has been good. Not great but good. My concern with Bergeron is at this point in his career he lacks offensive creativity. This guy was such a special offensive player when he first arrived on the scene but that offensive burst is just not there the last few years. I realize he had the serious concussion but I really hoped his offensive game would return. But to this point I just don’t see it and it pains me to say it. It seems he escapes criticism to much & I am at the top of that list. People love to blast certain guys but Bergeron deserves some criticism for his offensive game as well. Fair is fair & I hope Bergy can provide a bit more offence then he is currently generating. He is very well compensated & should produce a little more. I have no problem with the money he makes because he brings so much to the table but sometimes the favorites avoid criticism a little more then they should.  However, not to make excuses for the guy but I really believe he still could be a more creative offensive player under a different coach. Claude utilizes him in such a defensive role I firmly believe it has negatively impacted his offensive game. A new coach down the line maybe what the doctor ordered to refresh Bergy’s offensive game. Tyler Seguin: Best Bruins offensive player thus far and only going to get better. Has made huge strides thus far this year & I can really see him taking off later in the season when he even gets more comfortable. Would prefer the Bs use him in the middle but am really starting to think he would absolutely light it up if paired with Krejci. Seguin’s speed & shooting skills with Krejci’s hockey sense & passing skills could make them a dynamic duo. Hopefully Claude will give them that opportunity at some point soon. Milan Lucic : I love Lucic & the uniqueness he brings to the Bs. However, I don’t think he has the overall offensive skills to be a first line player. It seems he sometimes forgets what initially brought him his early success in his career. He lacks speed and quickness to be that elite player that some anticipated he would. I think if CJ dropped in down to the 2nd or 3rd line Lucic may bring his aggressiveness back to his game rather then being so worried about offence. A very unique player who can change the dynamic of a game with his physicality. Get back to the basics & the offence will still come but I feel he will have a much greater impact in the games by playing more physical & keeping it simple.
    Posted by Newfiebullet[/QUOTE]

AVAST! The BOW man! The BOW!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins through first 10 games : I'm with you on this Newf. To say TT would've had the 1st one because he'd peek through traffic is quite a stretch. A crowd of players in front and the puck gets deflected by Gionta. No way it's Rask's fault. The 2nd goal is a great shot from prime scoring area. Rask gave them a chance to win. Blaming him is getting old fast.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I am not blaming him entirely for the loss but Rask for the last year or so just doesn't come up with the big saves when the B's need them like TT does.It seems to be a trend where he will make several great saves but then lets in a weak one.It seems like I am in the minority [on this thread anyway] with that particular viewpoint .If he can stop letting in the weak ones he will be great.It's weird how Rask is constantly given  a pass when he plays poorly ,people on this board rationalize it off as the team in front of him is playing terrible but when TT plays poorly everyone jumps all over him.When Rask has a good game I will be the first one to congratulate him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins through first 10 games : I'm with you on this Newf. To say TT would've had the 1st one because he'd peek through traffic is quite a stretch. A crowd of players in front and the puck gets deflected by Gionta. No way it's Rask's fault. The 2nd goal is a great shot from prime scoring area. Rask gave them a chance to win. Blaming him is getting old fast.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]
    Last year TT made those kind of saves on a routine basis . I know we will likely never see that kind of goaltending again.I guess we were spoiled last year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins through first 10 games : From your post it appears you have your mind made up about Rask so it is no sense for me to debate you. I thought the 2nd goal was a great shot & to say Thomas would of definitely had the 1st one is an assumption on your part. I am more concerned about the lack of offence & the PP then the goaltending. I don't feel goaltending is an issue right now & that includes Rask. There are far more problems then the goaltending.
    Posted by Newfiebullet[/QUOTE]
    I'm with you on this Newf. To say TT would've had the 1st one because he'd peek through traffic is quite a stretch. A crowd of players in front and the puck gets deflected by Gionta. No way it's Rask's fault. The 2nd goal is a great shot from prime scoring area. Rask gave them a chance to win. Blaming him is getting old fast.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Newfie and Dez you are right on Rask, he kept them in the game. Fluto today, repeats what Claude is saying. He also indicates that the defense, once again, may well be the weakest part of this team. THN also, in a positive article, indicated that this Bruins team is not built around super stars, just good hockey guys. They are correct, and these good hockey players banded together to win the Cup playing Claude's defense first, one goal wins it, system. Claude seems to be much more involved since he middle/late months of last year. He is certainly trying whatever he can do, with what he has. KLH and Bergie's line are capable as long as they continue to skate; Kelly's line with Peverly and Caron could be the beswt shut down line in the league; that would allow experimentation with the 4th line by adding scorers like Sauve or Arneil. On defense, it's vital that all defensemen play smart hockey. I'm not sure smarts is part of Boychuck or Corvo's skill set.