Bruins will most likely pick 9th

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Bruins will most likely pick 9th

I disagree - being freakishly tall like Hal Gill is useful. A player who skates like Gill, with Gill's puck skills, who topped out at 6' would have a lovely ECHL career.  Chara isn't Chara just because he's a skyscraper.  He does a lot of things well including hammer that huge shot on net more often than not.  He's smart and disciplined so he's in position to use his reach and size, and his conditioning and strength mean he gets pinwheeled by speedy forwards a whole lot less often than other D his size would if they played his minutes.  Just like Larry Robinson wasn't just a tall guy, Chara's not just a tall guy, but he takes full advantage of his height as part of his game.

However - and this is more to the point - I don't relish the idea of them drafting Oleksiak.  He's a project.  Chara was also a project, and he was drafted as a project at #56.  No way Oleksiak goes that late, but 9 would be a huge risk.  If he's the hottest name on the board at 9 and the Bruins have a couple of other guys they like, I could see them getting a nice premium to trade down so someone else can pay for the romance of height.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Yeah, I have nothing against a tall player, I just mean I don't really think of it as a 'talent'.  Chara uses his reach effectively, Martin St Louis uses his compact frame to stickhandle in a shoe box.  All that matters is they are both good at what they do.  I wouldn't draft a player because they are big, I would draft them because they are good.  Especially with the big boddies we already have on D, I would like a skill player.

In Response to Re: Bruins will most likely pick 9th:
    [QUOTE]I disagree - being freakishly tall like Hal Gill is useful. A player who skates like Gill, with Gill's puck skills, who topped out at 6' would have a lovely ECHL career.  Chara isn't Chara just because he's a skyscraper.  He does a lot of things well including hammer that huge shot on net more often than not.  He's smart and disciplined so he's in position to use his reach and size, and his conditioning and strength mean he gets pinwheeled by speedy forwards a whole lot less often than other D his size would if they played his minutes.  Just like Larry Robinson wasn't just a tall guy, Chara's not just a tall guy, but he takes full advantage of his height as part of his game. However - and this is more to the point - I don't relish the idea of them drafting Oleksiak.  He's a project.  Chara was also a project, and he was drafted as a project at #56.  No way Oleksiak goes that late, but 9 would be a huge risk.  If he's the hottest name on the board at 9 and the Bruins have a couple of other guys they like, I could see them getting a nice premium to trade down so someone else can pay for the romance of height.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

Definitely advantageous to be 6'3 as opposed to 6 feet when playing D. Im not a fan of Oleksiak either though.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

Forget about teaching size or speed,
    how about drafting a player for 'the system'?
    Remember? Julien's much-vaunted 'system'?

With the most shots allowed in the League,
    what's it called again?

The Wait Til Their Arms Get Tired...system?

The Make Winning The Vezina As Hard As Possible...system?

Get the best Defenceman available, I say.

Or get a new Coach.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

The Bruins should trade the ninth pick and Zach Hamill for the third pick. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I don't expect the good defensive prospects to be there at number nine as you take a look at each teams needs that are picking one through eight. This year will be a defensman draft as opposed to last year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]Forget about teaching size or speed, how about drafting a player for 'the system'? Remember? Julien's much-vaunted 'system'? With the most shots allowed in the League, what's it called again? The Wait Til Their Arms Get Tired...system? The Make Winning The Vezina As Hard As Possible...system? Get the best Defenceman available, I say. Or get a new Coach.
    Posted by Awry[/QUOTE]

CJ's system isn't about minimizing shots on net, it's about minimizing scoring chances. Allowing perimeter shots that the goalie gets a good read on is better than allowing somebody to slide through the slot and snipe a corner from 15 feet. This system has in fact made it possible for Thomas to win 2 Vezinas (yeah, I'm counting my chickens before they're hatched!) and set the NHL record for save %.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

I mean, they're giving away or giving up on Centre Prospects ; Kessel, Colborne, Hamill, Seguin? faster than Canadian parents can make them. (i know Kessel's american...)
    It's obvious that they are covered at Forward
    (though a bona fide #1 Horse-in-Training for Centre wouldn't hurt...)

Find and Get, trade and move toward the next Franchise Defenceman....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

[QUOTE]I mean, they're giving away or giving up on Centre Prospects ; Kessel, Colborne, Hamill, Seguin? faster than Canadian parents can make them. (i know Kessel's american...) It's obvious that they are covered at Forward (though a bona fide #1 Horse-in-Training for Centre wouldn't hurt...) Find and Get, trade and move toward the next Franchise Defenceman....
    Posted by Awry[/QUOTE]

yaaa that centers name is Tyler Seguin?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Obviously no one knows for sure, but anyone have a grasp on how much the talent falls off after the courturiers, larssons, landeskogs, etc. are taken?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]I mean, they're giving away or giving up on Centre Prospects ; Kessel, Colborne, Hamill, Seguin? faster than Canadian parents can make them. (i know Kessel's american...) It's obvious that they are covered at Forward (though a bona fide #1 Horse-in-Training for Centre wouldn't hurt...) Find and Get, trade and move toward the next Franchise Defenceman....
    Posted by Awry[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree with larger point - Just how you got there.

Yeah, another Raymond Bourque would be great!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

It's obvious that they are covered at Forward (though a bona fide #1 Horse-in-Training for Centre wouldn't hurt...) Find and Get, trade and move toward the next Franchise Defenceman....
    Posted by Awry[/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure they are covered at forward. I think they lack a true sniper - a guy who can bury those good scoring opportunities every time. Someone who makes your power play highly effective. My fear is this is what will be their downfall in these playoffs. maybe Seguin or some prospect they already have will emerge as that guy down the road but right now they don't have it. So I guess I would go for best player available?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

I think there is no question that were the Bruins able to pick whoever they want, they would take Larsson. And it looks to me like RNH will go first overall, just to drive NAS crazy, what kind of pieces do you think it would take to move up from 9 to 3?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I think Seguin is one of the finest shooters I've seen come in to the league in a while.  Definately Stamkos-like.  But I agree another good forward could be of value.  Highlight Reel Peverley and Kelly are only signed for one more year, Ryder and Recchi could be gone this year.  If Kaberle is signed multi-year, forward could be a bigger need than defence.  I just want them to draft skill.  You can get grit with later picks, but it's not often you pick in the top-10.  The bruins, with their skill and youth will likely not pick there for a while.  You have to turn that pick into talent.  This player could be important a few years from now as they try to continue their current success.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

Great! Seguin is the #1 Centre Horse-in-Training!
    And they won't give up on him!

'Best Player Available' is what got the Bruins Joe Thornton and Phil Kessel and Zach Hamill -  great players, but also the kind that quickly fall out of favour here, players that seem to lack a certain Bruin-ness.

Best Bruin Available, I say, OR....even better?

Best Bruin Defenceman Available.

If not Adam Larsson...well.. actually, that's it, isn't it?

Move heaven and part of earth to get into position to draft Adam Larsson.
    Depending on whom you ask, he's ranked anywhere from #1 to #5.

I know it's a foregone conclusion. I can't imagine Edmonton NOT taking Larsson first, or any of the First Pick-eligible teams...
    A potential Franchise Defenceman is usually welcome anywhere...

Hamilton
    Beaulieu
    Siemens

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

[QUOTE]Great! Seguin is the #1 Centre Horse-in-Training! And they won't give up on him! 'Best Player Available' is what got the Bruins Joe Thornton and Phil Kessel and Zach Hamill -  great players, but also the kind that quickly fall out of favour here, players that seem to lack a certain Bruin-ness. Best Bruin Available, I say, OR....even better?   Best Bruin Defenceman Available. If not Adam Larsson...well.. actually, that's it, isn't it? Move heaven and part of earth to get into position to draft Adam Larsson. Depending on whom you ask, he's ranked anywhere from #1 to #5. I know it's a foregone conclusion. I can't imagine Edmonton NOT taking Larsson first, or any of the First Pick-eligible teams... A potential Franchise Defenceman is usually welcome anywhere... Hamilton Beaulieu Siemens
    Posted by Awry[/QUOTE]

ummm, i sure can, edm is going to take RNH as they should

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Final rankings:

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

you say move heaven and earth? are you talking roster players? if so I'm not on board with that, but any sort of package of draft picks i would be okay with and in favor of, i am really high on larsson

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Start with Zach Hamill.  From there add Michael Ryder's negotiation rights.  You might as well offer that because there is no way any of those teams will deal their picks.  You might be able to pursuade Atlanta, Columbus or NJ to swap spots, but it would take something good, otherwise, why would they bother?  If those teams aren't high on the players in the top 10, I think you would start with a young NHL-ready player.  A Kampfer or a Bartowski might (might) draw interest.  The only reason I see them willing to talk is if they want someone that can contribute sooner than the 18 year old will.  Those teams might want that.  The top 5, forget it, they are planning to draft a young star.

[QUOTE]I think there is no question that were the Bruins able to pick whoever they want, they would take Larsson. And it looks to me like RNH will go first overall, just to drive NAS crazy, what kind of pieces do you think it would take to move up from 9 to 3?
    Posted by thedauber1[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

Seguin has the skill set to be that sniper. I think he will be in the end.
    It took Kessel until his 3rd season to get going well, and Seguin is more talented and has a better attitude. That's the horse I'm hooking my cart to. When he's finally about to put it together and turn it on, look out.
    Need a Keith/Seabrook/Doughty type to make this team truley dynamic. I would do everything in my power to put together a package to get trade up and get Adam Larsson.

LUCIC-KREJCI-HORTON
    MARCHAND-SEGUIN-KNIGHT
    PEVERLY-BERGERON-CARON
    PAILLE-CAMPBELL-THORNTON

CHARA-LARSSON
    SEIDENBERG-KABRLE
    FERENCE-MCQUAID

THOMAS
    RASK

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

[QUOTE]Seguin has the skill set to be that sniper. I think he will be in the end. It took Kessel until his 3rd season to get going well, and Seguin is more talented and has a better attitude. That's the horse I'm hooking my cart to. When he's finally about to put it together and turn it on, look out. Need a Keith/Seabrook/Doughty type to make this team truley dynamic. I would do everything in my power to put together a package to get trade up and get Adam Larsson. LUCIC-KREJCI-HORTON MARCHAND-SEGUIN-KNIGHT PEVERLY-BERGERON-CARON PAILLE-CAMPBELL-THORNTON CHARA-LARSSON SEIDENBERG-KABRLE FERENCE-MCQUAID THOMAS RASK
    Posted by Tommy617[/QUOTE]

thats all well in good but keep in mind that you might need to trade some of those players on your roster to have the opportunity to draft larsson

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I know little of Larson, the only time I saw him play was at the WJC and i wouldn't move much to get him.  It doesn't matter though, there is no reason why a team picking in the top-5 would trade those picks.  It doens't make any sense for them.  I do see that central scouting has Ryan Murphy at 9 N.A., which if we are lucky he may be still available then.  Some players have come on strong this season to make the draft pretty wide open.  That's a good time to be drafting 9th, unlike last year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

what on earth did you see at the WJC that makes you think Larsson wouldn't be a dominant player

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

What did you see that did?  The concensous among scouts is that there are no sure-bet dominant players in this draft.  There is not even a concesous #1 pick.  I've seen defensemen dominate at the WJC.  Dion Pheneuf as a 19 year old dominated in 2005.  1 goal, 5 assists, crunching hits and not a single goal against while he was on the ice in the entire tournament while winning a gold medal.  That's dominance.  Larsson did not dominate the tournament.  From what I saw he was good.  Beyond that, I haven't seen him play in any other situation so my opinion has little validity.  Again though, none of the teams in the top 5 will move their pick.  They are all in full rebuilding, there is no point in them moving a prized prospect unless you are getting one back.  The only player that the Bruins could move would be Seguin, and that would be just stupid.

[QUOTE]what on earth did you see at the WJC that makes you think Larsson wouldn't be a dominant player
    Posted by thedauber1[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

In 1999, though Tampa was the worst team, Chicago won the Draft Lottery and moved up four spots, from #8 to #4.

Here's to the Bruins and their 2.7% chance of doing the same...

Til tomorrow night at 8pm, then