Calgary may need that new arena sooner than expected

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Calgary may need that new arena sooner than expected

I spent a lot of my youth in Calgary (got my degrees there) and I still have two brothers and their families living there, and I've never seen anything like the flood they're going through now, not in Alberta.

To put it in perspective, the Saddledome is not that close to either of the big two rivers (closest is the Elbow on the far side of the Stampede grounds) and the 'Dome is being flooded out and the whole community it's in is under evacuation orders. The CBC was saying the iceplant could be destroyed. And that's just one small part of the flood damage.

Absolute nightmare. Fortunately my family is safe, but thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected.

(One of the neighbourhoods underwater is Elboya and Elbow Park, where most of the Flames have their homes, just to add another hockey aspect)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Re: Calgary may need that new arena sooner than expected

I actually live in Airdrie & we're not affected...yet, but I have some buddies I'm bringing in to stay with me, because they live in Inglewood & Panarama Hills. Have another who lives in High River & he's up North, but his home is 3/4 under water. Over 100,000 right now have been affected & could rise to 200,000 if this rain doesn't stop by the end of the day.

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

I actually live in Airdrie & we're not affected...yet, but I have some buddies I'm bringing in to stay with me, because they live in Inglewood & Panarama Hills. Have another who lives in High River & he's up North, but his home is 3/4 under water. Over 100,000 right now have been affected & could rise to 200,000 if this rain doesn't stop by the end of the day.

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

I heard the Deerfoot is closed - are you stuck up in Airdrie Nite? My one brother is in Cochrane and they've been evaced.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to red75's comment:

[QUOTE]

I heard the Deerfoot is closed - are you stuck up in Airdrie Nite? My one brother is in Cochrane and they've been evaced.

[/QUOTE]

No not stuck. The Deerfoot is closed in the Southern End. Yea my neighbours wife was in Canmore working. They told her to move to Cochrane & now she's gotta go to Banff. Totally insane. The worse isn't over either. Once the rain stops & the warm air hits, the chances of tornado's will increase dramatically. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Ticked me off this morning reading a few web posts from Quebecers and Manitobans taking potshots at Calgarians. Drove me batty - Alberta's been there for us in Manitoba as well as Quebec when we flooded out. Time to step up and repay the favour.

And tornados in Calgary? Wow.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

To all of the families affected in Calgary, take care out there and be safe.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Ticked me off this morning reading a few web posts from Quebecers and Manitobans taking potshots at Calgarians. Drove me batty - Alberta's been there for us in Manitoba as well as Quebec when we flooded out. Time to step up and repay the favour.

And tornados in Calgary? Wow.

The tornado warnings don't usually hit Calgary, but in Airdrie we get about 10 warnings a yr. I've only seen a EF-1 that was in a field & by the time I brought my camera phone up it was gone. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Twitter Cameron MacIntosh @CamMacIntoshCBC Extensive damage to #saddledome Dressing rooms underwater. Water up to row 8 in lower bowl. #yycflood #cbc #cbcnn

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Twitter Cameron MacIntosh @CamMacIntoshCBC Extensive damage to #saddledome Dressing rooms underwater. Water up to row 8 in lower bowl. #yycflood #cbc #cbcnn

HOLY KIEF!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

HOLY KIEF!!

I think the arena is done - how do you repair that kind of damage? That means the rink surface is under about 15 feet of water. Unbelievable.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Read somewhere its up to row 12 now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Grrrr! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Can't see the pic Nite

And just heard that both the iceplant and the jumbotron in the Saddledome have been destroyed, and that there are concerns the Peace Bridge could be wiped out.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Fleury just tweeted the water is up to row 14 and all the private boxes are now flooded out - yeah, I'm thinking they may have to raze it by the time this over.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Just nuts.  What do they do next year?  Imagine if they had been in the Finals for this.

-- Proud user of Chambraigne; Now with Wiener Scent! --

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to DrCC's comment:

Just nuts.  What do they do next year?  Imagine if they had been in the Finals for this.

-- Proud user of Chambraigne; Now with Wiener Scent! --

It's insane Doc, - just talked to my brother. He was sand bagging his house until 4 am. The water is now about 12 inches below the top of his temporary dike and still rising. Could very easily lose his house if the rain doesn't stop.

As for the Flames, I think the Olympic Oval can sit 6,000 for hockey with temporary seating. It's on high ground so it won't be touched.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Nite, your neighbour's wife is not having a good day - just saw an evac order has been issued for Banff.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

My sister and cousin live in Calgary and they've both been evacuated though their homes are OK at this stage. Just brutal. .

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

That's home for me, too, though we always lived up the hill on the north side - Mount Pleasant, mostly.  Family are mostly in Varsity now, so again, high up from the water.  We never worried about flooding when I lived there - it was practically a desert based on average annual rainfall.

The 'Dome is done.  I hated that building when they put it up for the Olympics.  Goofy "saddle" design.  Hopefully, they put up something more befitting a centre of commerce than a prairie fort next time.

Are you not entertained?!?!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Nite, your neighbour's wife is not having a good day - just saw an evac order has been issued for Banff.

Lake water level?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Lake water level?

Think it's the Bow, Book.

TwitterTara Weber @TaraNWeber Critical alert for Banff - river levels rising, travelling across land, leading to flooding. Evacuation orders issued in areas   #abflood  #

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

this just sucks.  Hope everyone and everyones loved ones are safe and sound!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Nite, a heads up.

RT @CalgaryPolice : Travel advisory: We anticipate Deerfoot Trail to be fully closed later this afternoon due to flooding. Find alternate route

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Some people have no scruples - this pic is from Calgary this afternoon

Grr won't work - it's of a cooler of Ice - $20 a bag.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Good luck to all up there.

oh, and please make sure to punch a climate change denier in the face next time you see one.