Calling the lockout

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Calling the lockout

I'm just gonna go ahead and call it.  One of two scenarios will play out from now until the first game of the year:

1. Some time in the next few days, the league and the PA will hold a joint press conference to announce that they have reached a deal in principle and, while there are still some details to discuss, they are making the announcement now to allow teams to begin to prepare for a compact 72 game season.

2. By Sunday, there is an announcement that talks have broken down.  Both sides hold press conferences saying that they had made significant progress on the central issues but were unable to find a mutally acceptable solution.  A week later, they'll hold another three day sessions that will produce the common ground and the league kicks off just in time for Christmas.

It's all over but the waiting.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Calling the lockout

I lke the fact theyre meeting so much and I'm kind of optimistic by fact that their is no news from these meetings. Sounds weird, I know, but I have a good feeling about this.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I feel the same way, fellas.  It seems as if it's almost over.  I think they'll hem and haw for a week or so and be back on the ice for the second week in December.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

With NBC originally scheduled to start televising games on Nov. 23, I think there could be movement even sooner. With NBC already losing the Winter Classic, does Bettman really want to push his luck and pi*s off one of their biggest business partners even more ? Might be wishful thinking but if they can get something done by the end of the week, they could squeeze in a week long training camp with a possible season starting on Thanksgiving weekend. A more realistic start would probably be Dec. 1st.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

I agree with a December 1 start. Perfect starting date for a 60 game season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

They have a lot of things nailed already, and what's holding things up currently can be attributed to the interests of very few players, as well as very few owners. That's gotta be a good thing, as the majority on both sides have to be getting impatient.

Have said all along this thing can't ruin the whole year, but I can see either side dragging their heels for another 5 weeks, trying to wring out every last penny.

Be great to see things get back on track by late Nov, early Dec, but feel worst case, the league will be in full swing a month later.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I like that despite all the apparent negotiation going on, they aren't talking about it.  It suggests that the whole "press battle" part of the negotiations is all over with.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Hopefully they'll announce something tonight.  It's been 4 full days of discussions.  They have to be close.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

22% reduction in the salaries if a date is set on December 1st.  The first year of the contract is simply sucess for the owners.  With a 50/50% revenue share certainly agreed upon, the only two things of major importance are the players contracts, and a floor number for the Cap to accomodate the financially troubled teams.  Those last two subjects though will drag out the length of the contract probalby 5 or 6 years.  Lots of number crunching, me thinks both sides want an agreement.  Too bad the posturing did not take place in July!    

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to islamorada's comment: [QUOTE]

22% reduction in the salaries if a date is set on December 1st.  The first year of the contract is simply sucess for the owners.  With a 50/50% revenue share certainly agreed upon, the only two things of major importance are the players contracts, and a floor number for the Cap to accomodate the financially troubled teams.  Those last two subjects though will drag out the length of the contract probalby 5 or 6 years.  Lots of number crunching, me thinks both sides want an agreement.  Too bad the posturing did not take place in July!    [/QUOTE]

Nice post Isla makes allot of sense.

Edit: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2012-11-08/nhl-lockout-news-2012-cba-negotiations-make-whole-donald-fehr-hockey-strike

"Thursday's five-plus-hour session in New York, if nothing else, appears to have avoided the former, and continued fostering cautious optimism over the state of the NHL lockout.

Donald Fehr, speaking with reporters near the talks' "secret location" in Manhattan (which turned out to be the offices of Proskauer Rose, the outside counsel that also advised the NFL and NBA during their lockouts), said the sides will meet again on Friday, and offered no real further comment—something that has been taken as a near-universal positive sign.

The union has also responded to the NHL's proposals—which, superficially, is a good sign, but in actuality depends on the substance of those responses. The union's last counterproposals, and the league's reaction to them, sent negotiations into a deep-freeze that lasted for more than two weeks."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

I missed this thread originally and posted a bold prediction in the Season Start Tracker thread.

It seems we are all a little more optimistic these days...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I'm still not that optimistic, the house of cards could collapse at any moment.We'll see soon enough i guess.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Now that the owners have budged on the "make whole" provision I think that can give things the momentum to get the rest of it done. The sooner the better of course.

My very unscientific rationale for why we will have hockey before the end of December is that our oldest daughter's bday is in late December and the tradition has become that she and her mom go to a Bruins game as close as possible to her actual bday. When this girl wants something the heavens will rearrange themselves to make it possible. Things just fall in to place for this kid. She's planning on going so there WILL be hockey by late December. :P

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Now that the owners have budged on the "make whole" provision I think that can give things the momentum to get the rest of it done. The sooner the better of course.

My very unscientific rationale for why we will have hockey before the end of December is that our oldest daughter's bday is in late December and the tradition has become that she and her mom go to a Bruins game as close as possible to her actual bday. When this girl wants something the heavens will rearrange themselves to make it possible. Things just fall in to place for this kid. She's planning on going so there WILL be hockey by late December. :P

[/QUOTE]

I hope your daughter gets her wish WTL, i miss B's hockey.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from skater68. Show skater68's posts

I don't think the players will go for a 50/50 revenue share. unless it's spread over several years

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from doodles444s. Show doodles444s's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:
    [QUOTE]

22% reduction in the salaries if a date is set on December 1st.  The first year of the contract is simply sucess for the owners.  With a 50/50% revenue share certainly agreed upon, the only two things of major importance are the players contracts, and a floor number for the Cap to accomodate the financially troubled teams.  Those last two subjects though will drag out the length of the contract probalby 5 or 6 years.  Lots of number crunching, me thinks both sides want an agreement.  Too bad the posturing did not take place in July!    

[/QUOTE]

Do you mean that this years they have already reduced the players salaries 22% since they missed some games?... Isn't it not quite the same because during that same time they aren't making money from games and concessions, etc.  (as they would if they had a regular season with reduced player salaries)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm just gonna go ahead and call it.  One of two scenarios will play out from now until the first game of the year:

1. Some time in the next few days, the league and the PA will hold a joint press conference to announce that they have reached a deal in principle and, while there are still some details to discuss, they are making the announcement now to allow teams to begin to prepare for a compact 72 game season.

2. By Sunday, there is an announcement that talks have broken down.  Both sides hold press conferences saying that they had made significant progress on the central issues but were unable to find a mutally acceptable solution.  A week later, they'll hold another three day sessions that will produce the common ground and the league kicks off just in time for Christmas.

It's all over but the waiting.

[/QUOTE]

#1 isn't happening. #2 is a possibility........but it looks like you better start thinking about further scenarios if #2 don't work out. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I'm now starting to feel the season is in jeopardy.   Crosby speaking yesterday not understanding why the owners want to change the CBA is a little disturbing.  There's been changes to CBA's in sports since the 80's , probably even further back ,  just that I didn't follow then.

The owners won't budge on most of the issues, no2 looking like a long shot now. No1 never had a chance.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

season is jeopardy?

more of a case of snatching victory from the jaws of defeat for lack of a better way of saying it.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people run their businesses.  Not just the NHL, but other companies I know of, most that fill a market niche can do just about anything and stay alive.  They hang by the skin of their teeth going in and out of the red and only because they're mental cases.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Steve Fehr says that both sides can come to an agreement right now if they could just agree on 3 things.How simple is that, geez Steve, you are brilliant. It just so happens that those 3 things don't seem that easy to solve, hence were at this point in the negotiations.Its not looking too rosy, unless someone caves somewhat.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Recchi said today that the players should accept the current offer because as it goes on, the offer is just going to get worse.

Last time, the players refused to accept a salary cap of $50M+.  They ended up signing at a $39M cap instead.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

#1 isn't happening. #2 is a possibility........but it looks like you better start thinking about further scenarios if #2 don't work out. 

Oh, yeah, secret option three - moratorium so both side can go home and think about how great the WJHC is.  Didn't I mention that.

Remind me not to do optimism.  F--k them both in the ear.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Oh, yeah, secret option three - moratorium so both side can go home and think about how great the WJHC is.  Didn't I mention that.

Remind me not to do optimism.  F--k them both in the ear.

[/QUOTE]

I was optimistically thinking December. My sentiments also.

Maybe in a week or two we can have Bookboy's " Calling the Lockout " thread Part 2. Pessimistic style.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

January 15/2013.  I forgot about 12/12/12.  Guess both sides wanna wait and see if we still have a planet before getting down to the nitty gritty.