Can ice skates be converted to inline?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Can ice skates be converted to inline?

I'm going to get a new pair of skates tonight and I'm wondering if I can convert my old pond skates to inline skates.  Anybody know if this can be done?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Can ice skates be converted to inline?

Yes.  But the are really heavy.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Yeah, I don't know why you'd want to. Friction is a lot more on surfaces other than ice so you need a lighter boot. You'd spend a boat load on bearings to get the same speed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to nrguy's comment:

In response to shuperman's comment:

Yeah, I don't know why you'd want to. Friction is a lot more on surfaces other than ice so you need a lighter boot. You'd spend a boat load on bearings to get the same speed.

I don't care about speed as I would only use them by myself to go out and practice stick handling and get a little exercise.

My local shop says that they can do the conversion for $160 labor included with good quality wheels.  My current pond skates are the top of the line Bauers from about 15 years ago.  I see that bottom of the line inlines are $120 or so, so I wonder if this is worth it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Makes sense to me if you're looking for a workout to do it. Was just thinkIng you wanted to play roller hockey 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Cool!  Today I have 2 pairs of skates, my Bauer 9000's and my pond skates.  Tonight I'll have a new pair of Bauers, pond skates and inline skates!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

Cool!  Today I have 2 pairs of skates, my Bauer 9000's and my pond skates.  Tonight I'll have a new pair of Bauers, pond skates and inline skates!

They are a lot heavier then regular inline skates.  I did it with my old skates and had no issues.  Just make sure you get good wheels.   Enjoy.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Got it done with my old Bauers, any tips on converting from ice skating to inline?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moogfan35. Show moogfan35's posts

BadHab,   For $160 you can get a decent pair of rollers brand new. Something like the Bauer XR 3

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to moogfan35's comment:

BadHab,   For $160 you can get a decent pair of rollers brand new. Something like the Bauer XR 3

the shop tells me the boots I have made it worth it, and the total came to $140.

Any tips on skating with thiese things?  Can I "hockey stop" with them?  Have yet to try them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

In response to moogfan35's comment:

the shop tells me the boots I have made it worth it, and the total came to $140.

Any tips on skating with thiese things?  Can I "hockey stop" with them?  Have yet to try them.

Be very careful. No you can't really hockey stop with them on most surfaces.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Listen to Dez, I played in a bunch of inline-hockey leagues in the 90s. Players though they could stop like they were still playing on ice and it was not pretty.

PS. Stay away from the hills Badhab. I don't want to hear about a face plant you did into an ol farmers rock wall LoL

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Be very careful. No you can't really hockey stop with them on most surfaces.

[/QUOTE]

Now you've gone and ruined it. The correct answer was supposed to be yes.

A rugburned body might mean less of a desire to saturate the forum with bad jokes.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Listen to Dez, I played in a bunch of inline-hockey leagues in the 90s. Players though they could stop like they were still playing on ice and it was not pretty.

PS. Stay away from the hills Badhab. I don't want to hear about a face plant you did into an ol farmers rock wall LoL

Also heard about breaking a leg when turning to stop on a downhill, it's also a common skiing injury and can be done at little to no speed.  Strictly on the flats for this guy, besides the safety issue I figure the flats will be easier on the wheels.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Now you've gone and ruined it. The correct answer was supposed to be yes.

A rugburned body might mean less of a desire to saturate the forum with bad jokes.

and speaking of bad jokes...