Caps Strategy: Go Right at Chara

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Caps Strategy: Go Right at Chara

Watching CSNNE tonight and Felger interviewed a Caps columnist who said their strategy was going to be to go right at Chara and try to draw him into taking penalties.  Should be fun watching Chara and Ovechkin locking horns, especially in games 1 & 2 when CJ will be matching up Chara with Ovie on just about every shift. 

It would be a good idea to sick someone on Ovie to try and get him off his game as well.  Need to run him every opportunity they get so he doesn't feel like he can just wheel around all 3 zones without being challenged.  I hope Lucic hits him early and sets the mood.

Question:  Who gets under Ovechkin's skin the most? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Re: Caps Strategy: Go Right at Chara

Backstrom's the guy you gotta stop.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

I don't think playing OV physical will do that much. Infact I've seen him have his best games under such scenarios. On a per game basis in the playoffs, OV's numbers are the same as Crosby's, yet we all know about the Caps playoff woes.

Making sure that OV's supporting cast have a bad series, as they always have in the past, is the key in my opinion. I'm talking Backstrom, Semin and Green.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

In Response to Re: Caps Strategy: Go Right at Chara:
    [QUOTE]Backstrom's the guy you gotta stop.
    Posted by bim09[/QUOTE]

If you stop Backstrom you stop Ovechkin. Ovechkin is half the player he is without his center.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Teams focus on the opposition's key D guy.  I think we've heard all sorts of strategies on how to play Chara including throwing the puck into his corner to make him turn around and get it then get on him.  In the 1970 finals the Blues had forward Jim Roberts shadow Orr all over the ice.  That the Caps would zero in on Chara is not a shock.  Ovechkin & Co. better keep their heads up crossing into the Bruins' end and not give Boychuk a chance to crank one of them.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Caps Strategy: Go Right at Chara : Yuuup, a few of the Rodent style clips on Chara, run Thomas every chance they get and a Duncan Keith style elbow to Bergy's head should pretty well do the trick!
    Posted by null[/QUOTE]

Or, just hope Timmy pulls a Bobby 5-hole like performance and melt under pressure....Your right though a Duncan Keith like elbow would do damge or they could wait til the playoffs start and do a Aaron Rome like elbow.

Suck it Null.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

Posts from null are hidden

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Caps strategy should be stopping the Bruins forwards from forechecking and crashing their goal !

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Caps Strategy: Go Right at Chara : Yuuup, a few of the Rodent style clips on Chara, run Thomas every chance they get and a Duncan Keith style elbow to Bergy's head should pretty well do the trick!
    Posted by null[/QUOTE]

Great insight, as usual, by: "His Wholly Nothingness" - Null

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

Posted by null[/QUOTE]

choke on your breakfast this morning

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BorisTheGorilla. Show BorisTheGorilla's posts

The Bruins need to "test" Backstrom's head.  And smother Ovechkin.  The Caps are scary because of all their offensive weapons.  But their goalie is their biggest weakness.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Caps Strategy: Go Right at Chara:[QUOTE] Backstrom's the guy you gotta stop. Posted by bim09[/QUOTE]

Agreed when Backstrom is on he really makes everyone on the Caps much better.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Dump and start the cycle. Wear down a talentless Washington defensive corps, and the rest will take care of itself.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

Hit Backstrom whenever you can, he's their best offensive player.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Once upon a time when the Caps ran up the score on our Bruins. They came back to Bruins home the for the next gm.. Our Sherriff Hnidy nailed a clean hit on OV in the trolley tracks, and every time OV got the puck he was looking over his shoulder for the remaining gm.. CJ will a have a gm. plan for the Caps offence and strong d fence will win playoff hockey. We are talking about a 7 gm. series if i am worry about anybody on the Caps team will not be Backstrom or OV but the real playoff players Ward and Laich. The caps weakness in the playoffs will be the d men and goalie.

Forecheck Forecheck Forecheck and wear down the caps defence.
    Just get in OV and backstrom face will be the task. Yes Marchand will be there for that reason and Chara. Yes the bruins will have to stay out of the sin bin.

My top three picks Bruins this series will be Chara Lucic and Kelly
    For the Caps will be Ward Laich and Hendricks

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Caps strategy should be to try to play a little defense and protect their greenhorn goalie.  Everyone tries to go at Chara.  Every did last year too.  And, you kind of have to since he'll be on the ice for half of the game.

Should be fun to watch, and I expect that the Caps will score some goals.  The series will hinge on the Caps defense and goaltending.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]Caps strategy should be stopping the Bruins forwards from forechecking and crashing their goal !
    Posted by Sistersledge[/QUOTE]

Here they come again!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Have Chara play Ovie's side.  Have Chara shut down Ovie, and hit Backstrom and Semin.  Dont take stupid penalties.  Focus on controlling where the game is played. Considering Washington is an O first club, we should be alright if we keep the puck in their zone.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

I'd match Bergeron's line with their top line, and Chara with them, too. That's a wash, if not a win for Boston.

Krejci's line (if Krejci puts on his playoff game) should dominate whoever they throw in front of them, and if the 3rd line keeps rolling (they should), I'm confident in this round.

They need to wreak havoc on Holtby and get him VERY uncomfortable.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

laughable strategy.  as a former DC resident, let me assure you that no one covering the caps knows what they are talking about (minus the radio announcers)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Going to game 3 on Monday! I'll be sure to make you all proud.

Agreed, Olsonic. This will be the 4th time I've attended a B's/Caps game in DC, and I'll tell you what......Caps fans are awful. It's kind of a pink-hat fanbase. Nobody gets rowdy. Everybody is way too sensitive. I'm going with 2 other B's fans and a Sabres fan (who agreed to wear my #81 jersey that has "Blame Canada" written over the name of you-know-who). I promise that "Let's Go Bruins" chants will drown out the "Let's go Caps! Caps! Caps! Caps!" chants.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I still think Ovechkin's the guy that needs to be stopped.  He is a game changer, much more than Backstrom or Semin.  Take the body on him at every opportunity and frustrate the crap out of him. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I still think Ovechkin's the guy that needs to be stopped.  He is a game changer, much more than Backstrom or Semin.  Take the body on him at every opportunity and frustrate the crap out of him. 
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]
    Absolutely right. Ovechkin can score goals without an assist. Backstrom can't get assists without someone scoring goals.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Go right after Chara? I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest this has been tried before. Do they think they are going to wear him down?

Go ahead, go right after the guy who is probably the best overall defenseman in the game and who is by far the best conditioned athlete on the ice. If I were the Caps, I'd be figuring ou a way to stay away from him and his reach. Cause if you go after him your the one who will be getting broken up and punished physically. I'd treat Chara like a en elite shut down corner in football, I'd design plays for the other side of the ice.