CBA Lockout

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsLegion. Show BruinsLegion's posts

CBA Lockout

New community member and finally a new B's season ticket holder (been waiting years for the ability to do this).

Of course, it's in the year they plan on shooting themselves in the foot yet again (what is this 4 times in 20 years??)

I don't know where else to go to ask this question, but does anyone know of a petition that exists somewhere amongst fans and season ticket holders meant to send a message to the ownership and players of the risk they are taking with this type of behaviour?

And, if not, what things readers of this site might think might be effective to send that message  (I was thinking delivering a large petition at the "State of the Bruins" event and just walking out before they get a chance to speak might be a wake up call)?

So frustrated with the disregard of the fan-base.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Re: CBA Lockout

What lockout? Last I checked they were still negotiating. Wait til sept. 15th before you panic too much.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to CBA Lockout:
    [QUOTE]New community member and finally a new B's season ticket holder (been waiting years for the ability to do this). Of course, it's in the year they plan on shooting themselves in the foot yet again (what is this 4 times in 20 years??) I don't know where else to go to ask this question, but does anyone know of a petition that exists somewhere amongst fans and season ticket holders meant to send a message to the ownership and players of the risk they are taking with this type of behaviour? And, if not, what things readers of this site might think might be effective to send that message  (I was thinking delivering a large petition at the "State of the Bruins" event and just walking out before they get a chance to speak might be a wake up call)? So frustrated with the disregard of the fan-base.
    Posted by BruinsLegion[/QUOTE]

It's not the petition that you sign, it's the one you DON'T sign and that was that piece of paper called a "check" payable to the Boston Bruins.

You can say you're frustrated, you can say your pants are on fire, they don't care unless or until their wallets feel lighter.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsLegion. Show BruinsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: CBA Lockout:
    [QUOTE]What lockout? Last I checked they were still negotiating. Wait til sept. 15th before you panic too much.
    Posted by Bisson1[/QUOTE]

Respect your optimism, but almost everyone and their grandmother agrees at least part of the season is going to be lost... you're talking 3 weeks and they haven't even begun to negotiate.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsLegion. Show BruinsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to CBA Lockout : It's not the petition that you sign, it's the one you DON'T sign and that was that piece of paper called a "check" payable to the Boston Bruins. You can say you're frustrated, you can say your pants are on fire, they don't care unless or until their wallets feel lighter.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

You have a valid point... but isn't that the start?  Getting a large enough group together to make a statement and then, as you suggest, let them know you won't be re-newing if they continue on this course?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In the social media age, it shouldn't take much for an "NHL Fans United" movement to start via Twitter, Facebook, etc. 

In the past, the league and PA have pretty much ignored such movements, but perhaps now it will become too big, too fast for them to just brush it off?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

[QUOTE]New community member and finally a new B's season ticket holder (been waiting years for the ability to do this). Of course, it's in the year they plan on shooting themselves in the foot yet again (what is this 4 times in 20 years??) I don't know where else to go to ask this question, but does anyone know of a petition that exists somewhere amongst fans and season ticket holders meant to send a message to the ownership and players of the risk they are taking with this type of behaviour? Posted by BruinsLegion[/QUOTE]   

Your message was loud and clear too them, when you paid big money for season tickets, when there is no guarantee there will be a season.
    Your chance to make a statement, was to not buy season tickets, until there was a signed deal.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]New community member and finally a new B's season ticket holder (been waiting years for the ability to do this). Of course, it's in the year they plan on shooting themselves in the foot yet again (what is this 4 times in 20 years??) I don't know where else to go to ask this question, but does anyone know of a petition that exists somewhere amongst fans and season ticket holders meant to send a message to the ownership and players of the risk they are taking with this type of behaviour? And, if not, what things readers of this site might think might be effective to send that message  (I was thinking delivering a large petition at the "State of the Bruins" event and just walking out before they get a chance to speak might be a wake up call)? So frustrated with the disregard of the fan-base.

Never happen. If 100 people decided in protest to not to re-new their season tickets, 200 would be in line waiting for them, and are willing to pay more.

Besides, my beef would be with the NHL and the NHLPA, as far as I'd be concerned my Bruins don't really have anything to do with it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

There is nothing to do.  We'll just lay down and take it like The Gimp in Pulp Fiction. 

The owners think they can cancel a season in a fight and when they return, we'll return.  And they are 100% correct.  If they don't play again this season, but return in 2013-14, will it change my love for hockey?  Not one iota.  Most hockey fans are the same.  What are you going to do?  Give up your life's passion because there was no hockey for a year? 

Let the Pink Hats walk.  We'll still be here, the foundation of the fanbase. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Nice nickname, sounds familiar.

As for the lockout , it's become the norm now in professional sports. It's won't be last and I'll still be watching hockey (and the other sports).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to CBA Lockout : There is nothing to do.  We'll just lay down and take it like The Gimp in Pulp Fiction.  The owners think they can cancel a season in a fight and when they return, we'll return.  And they are 100% correct.  If they don't play again this season, but return in 2013-14, will it change my love for hockey?  Not one iota.  Most hockey fans are the same.  What are you going to do?  Give up your life's passion because there was no hockey for a year?  Let the Pink Hats walk.  We'll still be here, the foundation of the fanbase. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    I completely agree with you & I will never walk away. That being said though, shouldn't there be some reprecusion or ramifications the owners should face in the event they do take the game we love away for a whole season ?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: CBA Lockout : I completely agree with you & I will never walk away. That being said though, shouldn't there be some reprecusion or ramifications the owners should face in the event they do take the game we love away for a whole season ?
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan[/QUOTE]

It's their business.  It's up to us if we decide to return.  They can do whatever they want and we can do whatever we want.  I think we're lucky to have the NHL.  Without it, we'd be...  "Jeez, I don't know"*

* Gordie Downie

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Bettman talks about growing the game in non-traditional hockey markets.  One way to guarantee that this doesn't happen is to cut off emerging fans from hockey for a month, 3 months, or a whole season.  Hardcore fans like us will come back -- sure, we'll be all p**sed off when the lockout happens, but we'll be so glad when they come back, all will be forgiven.  But by then, emerging fans will have found other things to do with their time/$$, will have moved on, and franchises in Phx (if there still is one), and other marginal markets will be in greater jeopardy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Bettman talks about growing the game in non-traditional hockey markets.  One way to guarantee that this doesn't happen is to cut off emerging fans from hockey for a month, 3 months, or a whole season.  Hardcore fans like us will come back -- sure, we'll be all p**sed off when the lockout happens, but we'll be so glad when they come back, all will be forgiven.  But by then, emerging fans will have found other things to do with their time/$$, will have moved on, and franchises in Phx (if there still is one), and other marginal markets will be in greater jeopardy.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

The NHL hasn't been to a non-traditional market in quite a long time. 

With all of the options available, he put a team back in Winnepeg.  That tells me where he stands on it. 

If the owners cancel a season and end up keeping billions of dollars more over the course of time, they aren't going to be too concerned with the fringe 50,000 fans in Oklahoma City taking their entertainment dollars elsewhere.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Yeah, this discussion has taken place a few times, but these days I am solidly in the camp of little concern about the NHLs popularity.  As long as it is popular enough to survive, that's fine with me.  I don't care about growing the sport at all.

In fact, low popularity has quite an upside.  I've never seen so many NHL games in the lower bowl as I have over the past two years in Denver.  Hard times for them equals great affordable seats for me.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsLegion. Show BruinsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, this discussion has taken place a few times, but these days I am solidly in the camp of little concern about the NHLs popularity.  As long as it is popular enough to survive, that's fine with me.  I don't care about growing the sport at all. In fact, low popularity has quite an upside.  I've never seen so many NHL games in the lower bowl as I have over the past two years in Denver.  Hard times for them equals great affordable seats for me.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

They may be cheap in Denver... but definitely not cheap in Boston, so have to disagree with you that it doesn't matter.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: CBA Lockout : They may be cheap in Denver... but definitely not cheap in Boston, so have to disagree with you that it doesn't matter.

No, that's kind of my point.  Boston = equals high popularity; Denver = low popularity.  Setting aside the fact that we would both rather watch the Bruins, it is a heck of a lot easier and cheaper to see great hockey when popularity is low.

Now, obviosuly if popularity gets so low that the place is empty and you risk losing the team, that's horrible.  But if I can watch all the games I want on tv and I can get tickets at affordable prices when I want to go, what good does it do me to add a bunch of pink hats and 'grow the sport'.

Popularity used to be more important because it was the only way to get more games on tv.  Now it is almost irrelavent to me.

If there is a strike, I'll watch more college hockey this year and save a lot of money by not getting the NHL package or buying any NHL tickets.  I'll probably be back next year, if they return.  But if some other fans move on to something else, it won't bother me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: CBA Lockout : It's their business.  It's up to us if we decide to return.  They can do whatever they want and we can do whatever we want.  I think we're lucky to have the NHL.  Without it, we'd be...  "Jeez, I don't know"* * Gordie Downie
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

I can guarantee there'll be no knock on the door.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

49 North makes an excellent point here folks.  This whole current labour nonsense is merely a function of "growth".  If the game was still sputterring along like it was at the end of the last strike, everyone would still be happy.  But, since there's more bounty, there's more greed, which equals more strife.
    Of course the die hards will come back, but that's hardly the big picture.  We've always been taken for granted.  It's those fringe fans, that take a medicore sports business to the financial promised land.  Take any business, and remove even 10% of their earnings, and they're hurting.
    So yes, there is plenty that can be done.  Both sides pay particular attention to public perception. 
    If there is a prolonged stoppage, it certainly won't dampen my enthusiasm for the game, but gosh darn it, I'll have had it with the NHL.  I'll still follow and watch it, but I'll make a concerted effort to try and keep as little of my money as possible from flowing toward anything NHL.   A strike/lock-out couldn't be a dumber option right now in my book, and if there is one, I pray revenue goes in the dumper when things do get going again.
    Like Fletch, I couldn't give a rats azz how popular the game is, has become, or could be.  I couldn't care less about who stays, and who goes, BUT, the players and the owners do.  It's the root cause of everything we're seeing.  If both sides "believe", attendance takes a hit overall, they'll put a deal together.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Personally i think the owners are willing to sacrifice another year if it comes to that,although i don't think it will come to that.If the players are willing to do the same,good for them, but its salary they'll never get back.After all is said and done, the billionaires will still be billionaires and the millionaires will be a little poorer.The reality of it for the players is, the longer the lockout goes(if there is one), thats a part of their career they will never get back and some may not play again.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

We can put the argument about "non-traditional markets" away now.  That was all about major network interest.  Hard to sell a national network a product when, outside of NY-NJ, PA, MA and CN, there are 7 teams scattered across the rest of the country (back when it was a 23 team league after the 92-93 expansion and just before the moves and "non-traditional" expansion began under Bettman - Commissioner since 1993).  Even the WNBA started with 8 teams.  And of the teams outside that key area in the northeast, you see a pretty clear pattern with Washington right outside PA, Detroit and Minnesota bordering Canada, and Chicago right on the Great Lakes.  Only St. Louis, LA and SJ and T-bay were there to cover the rest of the country - outside of "traditional hockey markets".  Add Carolina, Denver, Dallas, and Phoenix thanks to moves and you've doubled the coverage (though Colorado surely gets some credit as a hockey market even if the NHL once failed there).  Add Florida, Atlanta, Nashville, Anaheim and Columbus franchises and you've more than tripled the number of American cities outside of that original belt from the NE to Minnesota (If you drew a straight line from DC to Minneapolis, you'd get every traditional market NHL team except Chicago).  Now you just have to maintain them and show that you're more appealing than Slapshot and maybe the networks will come calling.

I think they also benefitted from the changes in traditional TV programming.  So much of what used to populate network TV is losing its appeal to edgier cable fare and internet feeds.  Sports, even sports without a huge existing following across the country, are reliable because there's new content constantly with a fixed cost.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: CBA Lockout : I can guarantee there'll be no knock on the door.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Book, you're total pro.  That's what you're here for.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"benefitted from the changes in traditional TV programming.  So much of what used to populate network TV is losing its appeal to edgier cable fare"

A really good point, CBS Sports Network and local/regional Fox Sports covering college hockey put the sport into non-hockey market areas in the US because of expansion of cable. NBC refused to be left out after CBS started it's College Network so they bought Versus. More advertisers clamored to buy advertising as ratings rose. Presto NBC expanded their hockey coverage and gave the NHL a whopper of a deal biggest ever for the NHL.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

We can say "it all comes down to dollars and cents", but I think it's more complicated than that.  Who sets the "money agenda"?  Big market, big money teams, with dedicated fans who will return to the arenas no matter how long a lockout lasts -- what are their priorities at the bargaining table compared to small market teams, where emerging fans will be lost with a prolonged lockout? My guess is that the former are primarily concerned about talent retention (UFA dates further out), while the latter are more concerned about cost containment (cap issues). 

So, which group carries more clout at the table?  Do the fat cats realize that they need to make concessions to the marginal teams in order for the whole league to prosper?  In addition to the 'battle' between the League & the PA, I'd be willing to bet that there are 'mini-battles' when the NHL owners/governors group meets in caucus. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/nhl-labor-talks-continue-gary-bettman-don-fehr-reveal-plan-new-cba-avoid-lockout-article-1.1146543

"It is a proposal that we believe is significant and (has) meaningful movement," Bettman said in a makeshift press area on — of all numbers — the building's 13th floor. "It was also designed to address issues that they've raised with us and to address the proposal that they last made to us in terms of structure and format.

Fehr simply characterized the league's presentation as "some additional thoughts on the outline of the proposal." The presentation occurred in a morning meeting between the Big Four of these negotiations"

So the owners finally made a counter to the NHLPAs proposal. Hopefully, praying really, this starts the process of getting the new CBA hammered. It will interesting to see what the owners conceded.