Cedfano to the Net!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Cedfano to the Net!

I'm stunned that I haven't seen two hundred KPD mentions that he's been calling for this move for years.

Friend of mine says to me today "I guess Julien saw how well Chara screened Rask for most of the series and thought waitaminnit!!!  What if he was standing in front of their goalie when we shoot...?!"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from schlich. Show schlich's posts

Re: Cedfano to the Net!

Nice one!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

I'm stunned that I haven't seen two hundred KPD mentions that he's been calling for this move for years.

Friend of mine says to me today "I guess Julien saw how well Chara screened Rask for most of the series and thought waitaminnit!!!  What if he was standing in front of their goalie when we shoot...?!"

I think other guys could do that pretty well, too.

Might not be a bad idea to stick a guy in there during the pp.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

The problem with the PP though, is that they never get enough zone time to plant someone's azz there!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

That might be where Chara belongs on the power play, at least for the first minute or so. Hamilton and Bart that are both capable at the point and are more mobile. We've won a cup with no powerplay but it would be nice to pop a few in.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

We saw this for several PPs last year and it didn't work. It doesn't take Chara to put in a screen when Looch, Campbell and Marchand should be able to do the same job of it. I wouldn't mind Jagr  there either. Better than the half boards.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

None of this!  Yes, they scored with him there, but I don't want it to be a common practice.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'd love to know the reasoning behind why he was there. This is the type of questions those reporters need to ask. I don't think it was asked, if anyone has it please, post the link. But did anyone else notice when he was there, no Leaf was around him. Lucic pretty much had free reign in front of the net as well. The whole series, Phaneuf looked hesitant to go near him. Gunnerson did, I'll give him credit for that, but not Phaneuf.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatHockeyGuy. Show ThatHockeyGuy's posts

Didn't they also try this with Chara during the cup run?

I don't believe this will be a continuing trend.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I'm all for it when the goalie is pulled.  Other times, I just as soon have it be Lucic instead.  This has been tried with Chara, with mixed results in the past.  I'd rather have him teeing up bombs from the point.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

It has been tried. So was having Bergeron on the point. Hell even Dave Lewis was doing that. Neither worked well much. I'm on the fence with it. I wouldn't make it a common thing, but I wouldn't mind seeing more of it. How about they do it for the 1st PP they get every game? If they have great puck possession, shots get thru, but goalie makes saves. Then they at least had a decent start to a PP. I think the players get to holding the stick too hard when their 0-2, or 0-3 for the night. If they can at least get SOMETHING some good looks at least. Then maybe it'll jump start for the rest of the game. Waiting until you're already 0-3 is waiting too long. One thing that bugs me about CJ is how he's reactive instead of proactive.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah, the problem with Cedfano as the regular net front guy is that, like Lucic, he doesn't have the quickest of sticks to jump on loose pucks.  When he's standing there with his stick across of his waist facing the blueline, by the time he turns and finds the puck and gets that stick down, the puck is covered or cleared.  Great distraction on occasion - I'd like them to have a play that involves him driving to the net without the puck with the winger rotating back to play the point for a stretch.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Yeah, the problem with Cedfano as the regular net front guy is that, like Lucic, he doesn't have the quickest of sticks to jump on loose pucks.  When he's standing there with his stick across of his waist facing the blueline, by the time he turns and finds the puck and gets that stick down, the puck is covered or cleared.  Great distraction on occasion - I'd like them to have a play that involves him driving to the net without the puck with the winger rotating back to play the point for a stretch.

That's what I was thinking too.  Horton in particular seems to be a guy who always has his stick in the right place there, and quickly nets the tap ins and rebounds.  With Chara's massive reach and even longer stick (still talkin hockey here) I think he has trouble getting his stick down and in position to be quick on rebounds.

I am all for an occasional net drive as well, as long as the winger is fully aware of what's going on and rotates back.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I'm all for it when the goalie is pulled.  Other times, I just as soon have it be Lucic instead.  This has been tried with Chara, with mixed results in the past.  I'd rather have him teeing up bombs from the point.

I have an alternative opinion here Fletch.  I think the most positive aspect of having Chara in front of the net, is the fact the B's change their ridiculously predictable offensive game plan of having Zee "teeing it up from the point".

That just isn't working, and it hasn't been.  I don't know if guys are too scared to stand in front of his shots or what....but it's incredibly predictable, it doesn't work, and any NHL goalie can stop "Any" clear shot from the point 99.9% of the time.  Couple that with the fact that only about 4 in ten get through, and 2 of those miss the net, and what have we got.

It's not so much Chara in front of the net...there are other guys who can also do a great job there....it's that they are less predictable.  I agree with your assesment that it's a good idea to have his net front presence from time to time, but it's not reasonable to park him there regularly.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Nope, as stated above maybe when the goalie is pulled or once a game on the powerplay but as a rule the Bs defense needs his precence.  Jagr should be able to plunk his big azz there.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

This was technique was used in 09' with Savard  and it worked here n there but was usually abandoned. Ward always changes up the PP as soon as it starts getting consistent. I expect Chara to be in front of the net on the powerplay for awhile and then presto it will be gone.