Chad Johnson - good enough for a Cup-Hungry team?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fanonymost. Show fanonymost's posts

Chad Johnson - good enough for a Cup-Hungry team?

I know that his GAA has been quite good, but it seems to me that although he covers the routine shots, he very rarely makes the save on dangerous scoring opportunities. Given the quality and depth on this Bruins team, that makes him the weak link whenever he is on the ice.  

Clearly, Tuuka is the man between the pipes and any playoff hopes rest squarely on his shoulders as far as goaltending is concerned, but maintaining winning momentum throughout the season might prove problematic with Johnson as the back-up. 

Thoughts on this?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Re: Chad Johnson - good enough for a Cup-Hungry team?

Rask cannot keep the net 82 games ...and what would you suggest as a replacement ??  Khudo is no longer our back up wich is really sad....Subban far from being ready and Svedberg ...hummm would probably be interesting....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

He is what he is, a low cost back up to give Rask a rest. Nothing more, nothing less. If we had to rely on him every night we'd be in trouble.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

What do you want for 600K? Another Khudobin?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

He gives them a chance to win.  Considering the garbage that is in the division, that's all the B's will need to make it into the playoffs where Rask will play all of the games.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He gives them a chance to win

[/QUOTE]

To be fair, so would John Merricks remains if it suited up. The real point is that the cap constricted, the B's had a cap crunch and had to cheap out. No way Johnson would be a Bruin if this were not the case.

But so what. It is what it is. He is the backup, and that is the reality of the 2013-14 Bruins. If he can win a few....bonus. But he should not be expected to somehow be the next Rask. CJ is literally working for minimum wage and our expectations should be tempered as such.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

This ^

If he ever had to play for a long stretch of games, I would suggest they'd need to consider other options, but that's not the case.  Even if he had to play the #1 role for a couple of weeks, I wouldn't be too concerned.  The Bruins have shown they can win with him in net.  Starting more than half the team of rookies, call-ups, and guys with less than 50 games of NHL experience, though - that removes the margin of error.

I've said all along that any long term problem with Rask would see Svedberg play at least as often as Johnson.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Starting more than half the team of rookies, call-ups, and guys with less than 50 games of NHL experience, though - that removes the margin of error.

This was pretty evident last night, no? It is simply not sustainable for the B's to continue to be a two line team in terms of offence. Unfortunately this may be the case for a while. With Paille and Eriksson being concussed and the only reinforcement ST, there is no real relief on the horizon. The next little while could be interesting.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

[QUOTE]

Starting more than half the team of rookies, call-ups, and guys with less than 50 games of NHL experience, though - that removes the margin of error.

This was pretty evident last night, no? It is simply not sustainable for the B's to continue to be a two line team in terms of offence. Unfortunately this may be the case for a while. With Paille and Eriksson being concussed and the only reinforcement ST, there is no real relief on the horizon. The next little while could be interesting.

[/QUOTE]

What's really interesting now that ST & McQuaid is out of the lineup. Lucic is being challenged a lot more. Most teams now are seeing that whoever on the Bruins that drops them. It will be someone who is one of their top players. The good thing is that Julian is seeing this & as we can all hear on Behind the B. He's telling Lucic that he has to refrain "coach told me no!" So this is where Thornton is needed. 

If something happened to Rask. I don't thinl there would be any hestistation in giving Johnson a couple of starts in a row, but Svenberg would most likely be the one taking over. It's no secret that the only reason Johnson is the backup is so that both Svenberg & Subban play a lot down with the baby B's & continue to develope. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What's really interesting now that ST & McQuaid is out of the lineup. Lucic is being challenged a lot more. Most teams now are seeing that whoever on the Bruins that drops them. It will be someone who is one of their top players. The good thing is that Julian is seeing this & as we can all hear on Behind the B. He's telling Lucic that he has to refrain "coach told me no!" So this is where Thornton is needed. 

[/QUOTE]

But Nite most B's fans have rendered ST useless and think that Jordy Caron would be better suited to the 4th line,what gives? You are right in noticing that Fat has been challenged alot more since ST went down.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Shut up both a ya.

"Peanut butter and jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam!"

- Phil Collins

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Shut up both a ya.

- Phil Collins

[/QUOTE]

....SAYS THE PANTHERS TROLL.       Tongue Out

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

If Chad would stop trying to duplicate how Nite defends wrap around attempts. Johnsons SV% would be fine. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

He gives them a chance to win

[/QUOTE]

To be fair, so would John Merricks remains if it suited up. The real point is that the cap constricted, the B's had a cap crunch and had to cheap out. No way Johnson would be a Bruin if this were not the case.

But so what. It is what it is. He is the backup, and that is the reality of the 2013-14 Bruins. If he can win a few....bonus. But he should not be expected to somehow be the next Rask. CJ is literally working for minimum wage and our expectations should be tempered as such.

[/QUOTE]

Perfectly stated JM.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Much bigger problems than Chad Johnson right now. Move on.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Chad would stop trying to duplicate how Nite defends wrap around attempts. Johnsons SV% would be fine. 

[/QUOTE]

I know Dawg! Whenever I coached I always told the kids.."Watch me....Do the complete opposite!" 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie. Show Nolakanookie's posts

- Phil Collins

Nice Trailer Park Boys reference. Been away from this for a while...I see nothing's changed!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Nolakanookie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

- Phil Collins

Nice Trailer Park Boys reference. Been away from this for a while...I see nothing's changed!

[/QUOTE]

It is one of my favorite scenes in the whole series. 

For the uninformed, click here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie. Show Nolakanookie's posts

In response to Nolakanookie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

- Phil Collins

It is one of my favorite scenes in the whole series. 

For the uninformed, click here.

[/QUOTE]

Great show from my neck of the woods....but then again it doesn't take "rocket appliances" to figure that one out!   - Ricky