Chara +/-

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Chara +/-

The +/- stat is not black and white, but when you consider that Zdeno Chara plays almost every shift against top scorers, and powerplay goals don't factor in +/-, his +28 is remarkable, and an indicator of just how good he is.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Re: Chara +/-

That is hitting the nail on the head.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Yep. People tend to forget his value to the team. He is worth is contract extension and then some. The team would be scratching to make the playoffs without him...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Agreed.

He's probably very deserving of another Norris.  You could also argue McQuaid's +/- is really tied to Chara being on the ice as well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

BBR I think everyone who plays with Chara overachieves. Ference early on in the year, Boychuk last year, Kampfer. He brings out the best in his partners it seems...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

The Norris goes to :  Zzzzzzdeno Chara

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: Chara +/-:
    [QUOTE]BBR I think everyone who plays with Chara overachieves. Ference early on in the year, Boychuk last year, Kampfer. He brings out the best in his partners it seems...
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

I think his on ice awareness both covers up for his parnter's errors and makes them look better than they really are. Yes, I would agree with that.

This is why I always felt that Nicklas Lidstrom was overrated, as great as his career has been.

I cringe when I hear the praise someone like that gets all the time, but Lidstrom has never played on a bad team. Ever.

The guy was always playing with an All Star defenseman the second he stepped into the league in the early 90s.  Whether it was Larry Murphy, Steve Duchesne or Chris Chelios, he seemed to always play on loaded teams.

Chara, meanwhile, never has really had that here.  Maybe in Ottawa, although I forget who he paired with there.

Bourque didn't either. Bourque had an aging Brad Park to ease him into the league, but after that, he was pretty much relegated to decent or just solid D Partners.

If Kluzak would have been healthy, that was probably Bourque's most talented D partner/would be partner.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chara +/- : I think his on ice awareness both covers up for his parnter's errors and makes them look better than they really are. Yes, I would agree with that. This is why I always felt that Nicklas Lidstrom was overrated, as great as his career has been. I cringe when I hear the praise someone like that gets all the time, but Lidstrom has never played on a bad team. Ever. The guy was always playing with an All Star defenseman the second he stepped into the league in the early 90s.  Whether it was Larry Murphy, Steve Duchesne or Chris Chelios, he seemed to always play on loaded teams. Chara, meanwhile, never has really had that here.  Maybe in Ottawa, although I forget who he paired with there. Bourque didn't either. Bourque had an aging Brad Park to ease him into the league, but after that, he was pretty much relegated to decent or just solid D Partners. If Kluzak would have been healthy, that was probably Bourque's most talented D partner/would be partner.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

From what I remember in the Ottawa days Chara was paired with Redden for the most part. That was why it was difficult for the Sens brass to choose which one to keep when they both became ufa's. No one knew for sure which one was holding the other one up. I guess now we know....lol.

It is true Chara has never had an all-star partner in beantown either. This year is probably the most skilled d core the B's have had in his era (both Seidenberg and now Kaberle) and the irony is he still is paired with the one who seems to need the most guidance. All this shows is just how much of a leader he really is....

As for Bourque wasn't he paired with Don Sweeny for most of his career? Just asking as I can not seem to remember....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I don't recall either. I want to say it was many different D Men for Bourque throughout his career. Sweeney, I am sure was one.

I almost want to say people like Galley or Gord Murphy, too.

Galley was definitely on the PP with Bourque for a few years there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]I don't recall either. I want to say it was many different D Men for Bourque throughout his career. Sweeney, I am sure was one. I almost want to say people like Galley or Gord Murphy, too. Galley was definitely on the PP with Bourque for a few years there.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

True...it may take some digging. If I have time later I will try to research it...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

In Response to Chara +/-:
    [QUOTE]The +/- stat is not black and white, but when you consider that Zdeno Chara plays almost every shift against top scorers, and powerplay goals don't factor in +/-, his +28 is remarkable, and an indicator of just how good he is.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Exactly -- It's what I've been preaching to the Chara bashers for a long time. He's a monster with an amazing reach and pretty decent mobility. Some people expect blazing speed as well. Not happening. Any team in the league would take him in a heartbeat.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Chara +/- : Exactly -- It's what I've been preaching to the Chara bashers for a long time. He's a monster with an amazing reach and pretty decent mobility. Some people expect blazing speed as well. Not happening. Any team in the league would take him in a heartbeat.
    Posted by zamboni24[/QUOTE]
    Absolutely right!There isn't a GM in the league that wouldn't happily take Chara's contrct off of our hands.He could've got more money on the open market.