Chara third in league in +/-

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Chara third in league in +/-

Is this a true indicator of Chara's play this year or does it mean nothing as it does when talking about other's play this year ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re: Chara third in league in +/-

And yes this is a spinoff to a previous discussion. I would just like an idea about how others feel about the plus/minus statistical category.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Yes it is a meaningful stat. It is an indicator of how well his line (macro) and he (micro) are faring against the competition on a nightly basis. No it is not the "be all to end all" but an effective correlative tool....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I think it's helpful in determining a player's performance in the long term.  In the short term, there can be dramatic spikes either way.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I voted yes, but I have a disclaimer.  For some players in certain playing situations it is valid and indicates something about them and has to be taken in contrast to their team mates.  Chara is a good example of where the plus minus is meaningful.  So is Kessel.  Both play significant minutes and their team mates plus minus can be used for compare and contrast.

Chara's plus minus fits in well with his team mates and it indicates that he is the best defenseman on his team.

Meanwhile, Kessel has the worst plus minus on his team by a mile, this says something pretty loud about how much better he would be on a better team.

Another one, Marc Savard's plus minus, although you also have to take it with a grain of salt, it clearly indicates that Marc was not the same returning to the Bruins this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Wow, it didn't take very long for you to start more threads about my ideas.  You'd better keep your facts straight this time.  You don't want to be embarrassed into solidute again.

As for the question:  Phil Kessel was a +23 in Boston in '08-09.  Either he's a great defensive forward or the stat is junk.

Need more?  Mike Green, career:  +57

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Chara third in league in +/-:
    [QUOTE]Wow, it didn't take very long for you to start more threads about my ideas.  You'd better keep your facts straight this time.  You don't want to be embarrassed into solidute again. As for the question:  Phil Kessel was a +23 in Boston in '08-09.  Either he's a great defensive forward or the stat is junk. Need more?  Mike Green, career:  +57
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Your ideas ? LOL I didn't realize you had exclusive rights to talking about this topic.
    How about the stat says neither ( defensive forward or junk ) . Put your ego aside for a moment and it will tell you that they were on the ice for more goals for then against and by the vote people consider that important. That's it, that's all . Your opinion is in the minority on this topic.

btw I would only be embarrassed if I had people replying to me in the manner that they do to you. They are the people I respect.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chara third in league in +/- : Your ideas ? LOL I didn't realize you had exclusive rights to talking about this topic. How about the stat says neither ( defensive forward or junk ) . Put your ego aside for a moment and it will tell you that they were on the ice for more goals for then against and by the vote people consider that important. That's it, that's all . Your opinion is in the minority on this topic. btw I would only be embarrassed if I had people replying to me in the manner that they do to you. They are the people I respect .
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

I understand how the stat is calculated. 

If Phil Kessel can check in at a +23 and Mike Green is a career +57, what does the stat say? 

Can we draw any conclusions by looking at Daniel Alfredsson's -19? 

Zenon Konopka is a -13 while Jamie Langenbrunner is a -18.  What does that tell you?

Nik Lidstrom is a -3 while Steve Montador is a +16 (<--- no joke!).  If the stat is useful, what does a 19 point differential mean for Lidstrom and Monty?

Maybe I just don't understand it's relevance.  What does  the stat say about someone's ability?  How does it help determine someone's skills?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

i didn't vote because my answer would be yes and no.  in chara's case, it is indicative of his play.  chara's stat is even more impressive because he's always on the ice against the top players in the game. 

however, i think it's more of a team stat than anything.  mcquaid has the 3rd best +/- amongst dmen.  he is not the 3rd best defensive dman in the league.  the team has the second best goal differential in the league which is why they have 4 of the top 8 +/- in the league.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]i didn't vote because my answer would be yes and no.  in chara's case, it is indicative of his play.  chara's stat is even more impressive because he's always on the ice against the top players in the game.  however, i think it's more of a team stat than anything.  mcquaid has the 3rd best +/- amongst dmen.  he is not the 3rd best defensive dman in the league.  the team has the second best goal differential in the league which is why they have 4 of the top 8 +/- in the league.
    Posted by goodnewsbears[/QUOTE]

I agree on both of your points, which is why I feel the stat is junk.