Chara's Olympic Honor

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

Chara's Olympic Honor

I don't typically like to post on an article from BDC's Bruins front page, but I think the honor bestowed on Zdeno Chara to be carrying his country's Olympic flag is worth more kudos and just awesome in general.

The guy must be humbled and honored beyond belief and not only speaks to his honored position he represents for his country, but also for the Bruins. As for the possibility of him missing potentially two Bruins' games.. if there is something that could possibly transcend his obligation to his team and mates, this might just be it.

Way to go Z!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Re: Chara's Olympic Honor

Deserved.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

In response to Sportsnutty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't typically like to post on an article from BDC's Bruins front page, but I think the honor bestowed on Zdeno Chara to be carrying his country's Olympic flag is worth more kudos and just awesome in general.

The guy must be humbled and honored beyond belief and not only speaks to his honored position he represents for his country, but also for the Bruins. As for the possibility of him missing potentially two Bruins' games.. if there is something that could possibly transcend his obligation to his team and mates, this might just be it.

Way to go Z!

[/QUOTE]

Would you say the same thing if the Bruins lose both games that he misses and miss the playoffs by one pt?  Olympic hangover? Tired players,  injuries, losing streak.... Could happen....where's the obligation then?

I agree it's a tremendous honour , Just wish he didn't have to miss two games for it.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to cowboys9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Way to go Z!

[/QUOTE]

Would you say the same thing if the Bruins lose both games that he misses and miss the playoffs by one pt?  Olympic hangover? Tired players,  injuries, losing streak.... Could happen....where's the obligation then?

I agree it's a tremendous honour , Just wish he didn't have to miss two games for it.....

[/QUOTE]

I dont think they'll miss the playoffs, I don't like the fact that he could miss two games but that is quite an honor.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

[/QUOTE]

I dont think they'll miss the playoffs, I don't like the fact that he could miss two games but that is quite an honor.

[/QUOTE]

Probably not Kel, but we both have witnessed strange happenings in sports over the years.. as crazy as it seems.. Bruins just a 4 game losing streak from fighting for 8th place.....the two games by the way are in St.Louis ( don't like that one) and against Ottawa...without Chara.. Don't like that at all....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

I like the odds of the Bruins being in good shape for the playoffs regardless of the two games. Not pulling a Stanley here, but Chara has my blessing to miss the two games... potentially.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

[QUOTE]

I like the odds of the Bruins being in good shape for the playoffs regardless of the two games. Not pulling a Stanley here, but Chara has my blessing to miss the two games... potentially.

[/QUOTE]

It's not your $200k... :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

He misses the games, he won't collect the $200K.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You think the Bruins would do that to Chara ?  Maybe they give him a paid vacation....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

Its JJ's $200k and I feel totally fine letting a great warrior for the Bruins enjoy a once-in-a-lifetime honor at the possible expense of a game or two.. possible expense. Ill cheer for the big oaf! lol

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You think the Bruins would do that to Chara ?  Maybe they give him a paid vacation....

[/QUOTE]

I think it's a union agreement.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

The flag will never be held higher. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Even if it is two losses, I'd still think less of Z if he turned his back on that honour. Your country asks you, even if it'sfor a brief moment in time, to be their face to the rest of the world? They are saying "we can think of no one more deserving than you to present our flag, the symbol of the nation, to the rest of the world". If he was to turn that down I'd lose some respect for him. Don't tell me that there's anyone here who wouldn't lie in traffic for even the chance at such an honour. (The only time in my opinion an Olympian is justified in turning down that request is when their medal competition is the next morning/day, which has happened)

To put it our meagre terms, Slovakia is basically saying to him "We have so much respect for you that we can think of no one better to represent our nation in front of over 2 billion viewers around the world, but in order to do so you have to miss 2 days work and forfeit those 2 days worth of pay." Am I the only one here who thinks that's a no brainer?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

If the Bruins lose those two games and miss the Playoffs by a point, there will be questions. It's not Chad Johnson missing those two games. There is risk in this decision. Chiarelli doesn't really have a choice - he'd be vilified for not granting this request, but there's something I don't love about it.

In Canada, athletes have learned to squint at this honour a bit - flag-bearers have traditionally been chosen from among the stars - or shoo-ins - of the Olympic Team, but almost unanimously these athletes have gone on to have horribly disappointing - if total wash-out - Olympic showings.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

F the NHL when it comes to playing for your country.

I love the Bruins and the NHL, but not as much as I love USA Hockey.

Awesome for Chara.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Chara won't be playing those two games, carrying a flag is an honor, rest is what Chara needs more.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Let's see the honor of a life time vs 2 regular season games?  Is there anything to consider?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

This is on par with whoever was miffed at Boychuk for missing one game to see his wife give birth to twins. Ridiculous. Good for Chara.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is on par with whoever was miffed at Boychuk for missing one game to see his wife give birth to twins. Ridiculous. Good for Chara.

[/QUOTE]

Thats kind of my thought procsess as well. Once in a lifetime thing, and I'm not sure those words do it justice since 99% of the people will never have that chance.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thats kind of my thought procsess as well. Once in a lifetime thing, and I'm not sure those words do it justice since 99% of the people will never have that chance.

[/QUOTE]

Seriously, there are bigger things in life than a game. Being present for the birth of your children and being asked to honor your country in this way are two big examples of that. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Good for Chara,huge honor and he should go ,no questions asked, B's can win both games without him anyway.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You could add about another 19 decimal points to that kel - there'll be 85 flag bearers this year- that's 85 people out of 7.137 billion. It's not something you pass up if at all possible.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Anyone who would turn down such an honor and anyone who thinks Chara should, needs to take a close look at how they prioritize things in what must be a very pitiful life.

There is no doubt that Chara will hold that flag high, figuritively and literally. Pretty cool looking flag IMO.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Do you believe in miracles ? ...

The NHL and all other professional sports participating in Olympic competition sukz. Not really what the Olympics were meant for. There's money behind the reasons why they do, which in today's world trumps all else. Pretty soon they'll be playing hockey outside in California, and a B's vs Habs winter classic match up won't satisfy the corporate network deebags due to demographics -

I had to laugh listening to the Bruins brass stating that after everything Chara has done for the organization he was granted permission to miss time in order to carry the flag.

A) he's paid over 7 Million dollars to compensate for all he's done

B) what else were they supposed to do? they had no choice

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to JWensink's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Do you believe in miracles ? ...

The NHL and all other professional sports participating in Olympic competition sukz. Not really what the Olympics were meant for. There's money behind the reasons why they do, which in today's world trumps all else. Pretty soon they'll be playing hockey outside in California, and a B's vs Habs winter classic match up won't satisfy the corporate network deebags due to demographics -

I had to laugh listening to the Bruins brass stating that after everything Chara has done for the organization he was granted permission to miss time in order to carry the flag.

A) he's paid over 7 Million dollars to compensate for all he's done

B) what else were they supposed to do? they had no choice

[/QUOTE]

You're a real piece of work JW!