Chiarelli, Deal now compromised, did LA screw us?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Chiarelli, Deal now compromised, did LA screw us?

Posted this elsewhere, but thought I would start a new thread.

There is something awfully fishy about this deal.  It would be one thing if it was reported by some random blog, but for TSN to lead with it and NHL.com to confirm it, you have to think that it was more than an agreement in principle.  I can't believe that it would have been confirmed by those outlets if LA was still waiting for medical records to decide.  Since the B's refused to comment on the deal at all, it seems that they did not leak it to the media.

You have to wonder if Lombardi pulled a fast one on account of buyer's remorse.  This situation really screws the Bruins because now everyone in the league knows that the B's are trying to give Sturm away for nothing -- there is no pretending that they want something back in the deal anymore.  Chiarelli is totally compromised moving forward.  Someone should be angry about this. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Re: Chiarelli, Deal now compromised, did LA screw us?

Sturm value hasn't changed and won't change.  He has little to no value because GM's believe he will end up on waivers if he is not traded.  Why give away assets for a player you can get for free later.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Waivers??  First time I've heard that.  Source?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In Response to Re: Chiarelli, Deal now compromised, did LA screw us?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chiarelli, Deal now compromised, did LA screw us? : How could it not affect the next deal?  Sure, Sturm's value is the same as it was.  But any other team knows exactly what Chiarelli will take.  I'm sure Chiarelli went to Lombardi and said I need a 3rd round pick to close the deal, and LA came back with something less, like any negotiation.  Now everbody knows that this is purely a salary dump and Chiarelli is satisfied with nothing in return.  He's been exposed, his cards are all out on the table.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Sturm is a FA when this season ends. He is coming off another major injury at age 34. He has little to no value so it doesn't matter that PC's "been exposed" There was no secret to be exposed. Every GM in the NHl was well aware of what it would take to get Sturm if he were made available.
    Your point would make perfect sense if the value of the player was higher and more variable to other GMs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

[QUOTE]Waivers??  First time I've heard that.  Source?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/elliottefriedman/2010/11/whats-behind-crosbys-scorching-pace-plus-30-thoughts.html

Check out number 6.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]Sturm value hasn't changed and won't change.  He has little to no value because GM's believe he will end up on waivers if he is not traded.  Why give away assets for a player you can get for free later.
    Posted by Orrthebest[/QUOTE]

A team will pick him up on re-entry and than the Bruins are stuck with half his salary (approx 1.8)  that won't help the Bruins cap situation.
    In a perfect world PC wants this off the books and maybe another salary of about 1M for some wiggle room to make some moves leanings towards the 2nd hald and trade deadline.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Not trying to beat this into the ground...just trying to understand...

If Sturm has no value and can be picked up for free on waivers, why do you suppose that LA considered this deal to the point of sending paperwork to the NHL, accepting his full salary and offering a conditional draft pick?

Why do many people think LA will still take the deal?

Waivers seem like a terrible idea for Boston.  Makes no sense.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]Not trying to beat this into the ground...just trying to understand... If Sturm has no value and can be picked up for free on waivers, why do you suppose that LA considered this deal to the point of sending paperwork to the NHL, accepting his full salary and offering a conditional draft pick? Why do many people think LA will still take the deal? Waivers seem like a terrible idea for Boston.  Makes no sense.

LAK, if they want Sturm, would not be assured of getting him if the player goes on waivers. I think they, or some other team might value him just enough to part with a low/conditional draft pick.

You are right...Sturm on waivers is not Boston's best option.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I guess just I think that the Bruins would never just put Sturm on waivers -- I couldn't see any way that happens.  Bad idea.

As such, any team interested in Sturm needs to make the Bruins some kind of an offer.  Therefore, I find it frustrating that every team already knows exactly what Chiarelli is willing to take.  That's all.  Not an ideal position for Chiarelli.

And, it is NOT normal for the NHL.com website to report a trade that did not actually happen.  They are different than blogs and news outlets that are desperate to break stories.  NHL.com and TSN are probably the most reputable in terms of being patient and filtering out the rumors, to report the facts.  That is what is puzzling about this situation. 

Thanks for the discusssion. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I guess just I think that the Bruins would never just put Sturm on waivers -- I couldn't see any way that happens.  Bad idea. As such, any team interested in Sturm needs to make the Bruins some kind of an offer.  Therefore, I find it frustrating that every team already knows exactly what Chiarelli is willing to take.  That's all.  Not an ideal position for Chiarelli. And, it is NOT normal for the NHL.com website to report a trade that did not actually happen.  They are different than blogs and news outlets that are desperate to break stories.  NHL.com and TSN are probably the most reputable in terms of being patient and filtering out the rumors, to report the facts.  That is what is puzzling about this situation.  Thanks for the discusssion. 

What exactly is Chiarelli willing to take?  Were the terms of the deal that didn't happen posted?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Why so much consternation?? Marco went around the room saying goodbye, he thought he was traded. Then L.A. pulled the plug. Only way to know is for some newsie to ask Lombardi. Chia doesn't usually discuss a disconnect.