Chiarelli gets 4 year extension

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Chiarelli gets 4 year extension

In response to marco0863's comment:

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Only a fool (looking at you Marco) would believe that Gorton was given free reign to revamp the lineup a mere days before the new boss was "officially" put in place. If Gorton was the key he would've simply been given the job. Which club is he currently the head GM of btw? 'Why hire PC at all' would've been ownersip's perspective. On the other side of the coin, there's no way PC would've been interested in signing on with a franchise that was going to overhaul the roster in the days after his hiring. Does anyone really think that he was just sitting home waiting to find out who would be playing for him once he "took over"?

"wow,check out all of the losers in here......"

-Gerry Dee

ah the great words of Dez - 

fool? look up anything proof that shows pc did that 

none of this hiersay

btw Gorton was hired soon after by the rangers as assistant vp

oh and how great were chia drafts after

pc would not have signed? why cuz he had accumulated such a great record as "gm" in the nhl

dez the smartboy and the rest of the hockey world are fools.

How many cup rings has Gorton won?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Marco, I think your being a little naieve here. Forget what the books say. The books say Barry Bonds is the homerun king. Do you beleive that? Do you truly beleive Gorton signed Savard and Chara to those deals totally on his own and PC had no input?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Marco, I think your being a little naieve here. Forget what the books say. The books say Barry Bonds is the homerun king. Do you beleive that? Do you truly beleive Gorton signed Savard and Chara to those deals totally on his own and PC had no input?

Marco thinks Gorton put a Cup winner together. I would think he'd be more than assistant GM with some club by now if that were true. I would think the NYR's would be hitting home runs at the draft instead of passing on Cam Fowler so they can take Dylan McIlraith.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Don't make me dig this up - or do it yourself - but Ottawa refused to release PC until after the draft and the first week of FA season because, as assistant GM, he knew too much of their planning.  They did agree to one or two supervised meetings with Gorton and the rest of the Bruins' management so that he could lay out what he wanted them to do at the draft and in the FA period.  This is why most people don't question that Chara and Savard are Chiarelli moves even if the actual dollars on the deals are partly Gorton, and it's probably part of why the Bruins took Kessel  - though, let's be honest, it wasn't the hardest choice to take a guy who was projected at #1 earlier in the year.

Beyond the first round, I think things get a little fuzzier.  As much as I like PC, I have to give Gorton and the scouting staff PC cleared out credit here.  Maybe PC gave them 250 players in ordinal ranking, but I think it's far more likely he described the type of players he wanted them to draft - guys who excel in big games, guys who have shown high-end skills or played in international events, but most of all, guys who show high-end hockey sense or combine skill with a "hard to play against" edge.  Those instructions would fit most of the picks they made that year.

No one has yet mentioned the spectre of Tim Thomas.  Let's not forget that Chiarelli inherited him as well - and even tried to replace him.  I have no doubt that the trade for Rask was part of that equation too - "we need a better goalie now and a better goalie for the future...". 

But there's no questioning that the Cup win was a Chiarelli build.  He completely reinvented the D.  In 2005-06, they rolled out creaky Leetch, decaying Boynton, Gill, Alberts, Tanabe, Stuarts (Brad and Mark), Jurcina, Jiri Slegr, and KHL superstar Dallman (230 points in 266 KHL games as a D).  Half were physically slow, half mentally.  Awful!  And all gone - to a man - before the Cup win.  No question PC said "get Chara".  Dealt B. Stuart to get Ference and Kobasew.  Dealt Boyes to get Wideman (parlayed Wideman for Horton).  Brought in Boychuk, McQuaid in AHL trades.  Brought in Seidenberg in an NHL trade.  Brought in Kaberle.  Six D, 1 UFA, three acquired in NHL deals, 2 on AHL deals, 1 transitional player who was a sweet parlay - if you'd have said you could deal Boyes and two picks for Horton and Gregory Campbell in 2006, most people would have laughed at you.

As for forwards, as Red has pointed out, only one guy had played for the Boston Bruins before 2006-07.  Krejci was in the system but not in the NHL.  Lucic and Marchand had just been drafted.  Horton, Recchi were acquired in trades.  Ryder was an FA signee.  Campbell-trade, Seguin-Chiarelli pick, Thornton, Paille, Savard-Chiarelli FAs, Peverley-trade, Caron-Chiarelli pick, Kelly-trade.  So regardless of the four guys already drafted, that's the other 8 full timers and a few spares acquired by Chiarelli.  Add that to the six D and no fewer than 14 of the 21 players who won the Cup were acquired by Chiarelli one way or another.  That he did it all in five years - classic Stalinist move, Pete! - is amazing.  Look at all the middle moves to get there - Hunwick and Kampfer and Derek Morris, Wheeler to go with Wideman - and it sure looks like the guy knows what he was trying to put together and made moves to correct things when he could get closer to the goal.  It was totally Chiarelli's build. 

How could it not be after five years?

Are you not entertained?!?!

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Only a fool (looking at you Marco) would believe that Gorton was given free reign to revamp the lineup a mere days before the new boss was "officially" put in place. If Gorton was the key he would've simply been given the job. Which club is he currently the head GM of btw? 'Why hire PC at all' would've been ownersip's perspective. On the other side of the coin, there's no way PC would've been interested in signing on with a franchise that was going to overhaul the roster in the days after his hiring. Does anyone really think that he was just sitting home waiting to find out who would be playing for him once he "took over"?

-Gerry Dee

ah the great words of Dez - 

fool? look up anything proof that shows pc did that 

none of this hiersay

btw Gorton was hired soon after by the rangers as assistant vp

oh and how great were chia drafts after

pc would not have signed? why cuz he had accumulated such a great record as "gm" in the nhl

dez the smartboy and the rest of the hockey world are fools.

How many cup rings has Gorton won?

Dez, seriuosly- how relevant is this. 

It is clear that Gorton deserves much of the credit- that is it- but if you want to give all the credit to Pc - go ahead, but history shows otherwise

Marco, again, history shows Barry Bonds is the MLB homerun king. Do you beleive this?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

C'mon Marco. Just trying to carry on a discussion here with you, not rewrite history, and I did not insult you. I just think it is naive to think PC did not have a hand in at least some of the transactions made between the time he was named G.M of the Bruins and when he officially took over.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to red75's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Rask for raycroft is a Gorton trade.

again, done after PC was hired.

[/QUOTE]

its a Gorton trade not a pc one. Gorton was the gm at that draft not pc and again whats pc done ever since as far as drafts

[/QUOTE]

if you think chiarelli wasn't calling ALL of the shots in the 2006 off season you are off your rocker. 

[/QUOTE]

and why would i think that cause you said so...check the nhl literature and see who is responsible. What has Pc done in terms of drafts? Oh but he had is great draft when coincidentally there was another gm in place- no way 

[/QUOTE]

Chiarelli had a conflict of interest because of the work he had done with OTT (coincidence that that's where Chara came from I'm sure), he signed on in May, and if you think that the guy didn't make some phone calls about what he wanted done in the off season before he could officially take over, than you aren't worth conversing with. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Let's go to the numbers marco.  Stanley Cup roster, 2011:

Player

Drafted by Bruins

Patrice Bergeron  A

Yes

Johnny Boychuk

No

Gregory Campbell

No

Zdeno Chara  C

No

Andrew Ference

No

Nathan Horton

No

Tomas Kaberle

No

Chris Kelly

No

David Krejci

Yes

Milan Lucic

Yes

Brad Marchand

Yes

Adam McQuaid

No

Daniel Paille

No

Rich Peverley

No

Tuukka Rask

No

Mark Recchi  A

No

Michael Ryder

No

Marc Savard

No

Tyler Seguin

Yes

Dennis Seidenberg

No

Tim Thomas

No

Shawn Thornton

No

That's 5 of the 22 players that won the Cup who were drafted by the Bruins.  22% of the team.  The rest were put together by other means.  More than three-quarters not drafted.

Game. Set. Match.

Come back under a new account (or are they all banned?)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

4 years ....4 years of waiting time.... I will survive, I will wait and still try to Support him as much as I can .....for the benefit  of the BRUINS ...

congrats Mr Chiarelli !  I will always be there to help you with my tips, my experience, my hockey knowledges and most of all my vision...

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 & 4 more Cups by 2020

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

No idea how you get "clearly want to undermine Gorton" from what I wrote, but if you both choose not to read, and choose to mis-read, then there's nothing anyone can do here but insult you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's comment:

4 years ....4 years of waiting time.... I will survive, I will wait and still try to Support him as much as I can .....for the benefit  of the BRUINS ...

congrats Mr Chiarelli !  I will always be there to help you with my tips, my experience, my hockey knowledges and most of all my vision...

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 & 4 more Cups by 2020

Stanley, the pharmacy called.  Your prescriptions are ready.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

No idea how you get "clearly want to undermine Gorton" from what I wrote, but if you both choose not to read, and choose to mis-read, then there's nothing anyone can do here but insult you.

He didnt read all of it, like he said. Didnt keep him from forming an opinion about it, but he didnt read it. Too bad too, that was well put Book.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

-Gerry Dee

Exactly . 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

How do guys have the patience to make the same argument about something that has been discussed over and over with the same person ? 

Power to you guys .

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Gorton said he wanted kessel and may have trade the pick if he wasn't there so it may not have been that straightforward of a pick- in reality he should have been a top 2. 

anyhow so you agree that gorton had much to do with the team that won the cup/ simple question

Your first sentence would support what I wrote above - a guy who "should have been a top 2" falls to #5, it's not rocket science to step up and take him.  But whatever.  That's a side point.

I don't think it's a simple question.  I think you can break it down a few ways if you really want to look at how much Gorton contributed.  Biggest distinction I would make is that we really don't know how much direction Chiarelli was able to give in his contractually permitted planning meeting between being hired and being able to start.  We don't know if he gave broad directions, specific players to draft if they're available, how much money to offer FAs.  No idea.  We know the answer has to be "some" and we know it's unlikely that Gorton had nothing to do with executing.  On the other hand, the trades and acquisitions after Gorton left - we know he had nothing to do with those.

No GM builds a team completely from scratch to a cup contender.  It would take too long; you'd get fired before you could get there.  You have to start with some pieces.  Gorton and O'Connell provided PC with some pieces that needed to be developed.  So, back to the complexity, I think it looks like this:

Chara: 100% Chiarelli.  "Get Chara.  He'll be available because he's told Ottawa he wants to test the market.  Get him.  Job one."

Savard: 90% Chiarelli.  "We need a genuine point producer #1 C out of Free Agency.  Get Savard if you can...."

Krejci: 90% Gorton.  10% Chiarelli not making a deal to fill his C vacancy when Savard was hurt and giving Krejci his shot.

Rask: 50/50.  "Toronto has a glut of good young goalie prospects.  Explore that...."  Didn't come away with the wrong prospect.

Kessel: 90% Chiarelli.  "Here's my top 10.  We're at #5."

Lucic and Marchand: 50/50.  "We need to be harder to play against, but we need sandpaper guys who can also play the game.  Don't wait too deep into the draft for this."

Bergeron and Thomas are O'Connell era guys, so Gorton gets some credit as part of that regime, but, before we go all googly-eyed over the fact they had a few good drafts at the end of his tenure, they had a bunch of lousy ones between 1999 and 2006 as well. 

So I give Gorton credit for some important work, but I don't give him all the credit or a major role in building the team.  Providing a few key parts isn't the same as building something with those parts.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

He should have got 8 yrs.  Cool

Haven't seen you for a while and you return with this bomb?

Way too awesome.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Marco should change his name to one of the following:

Marcowashere

Marcowiththeking

MarcowiththekingII

Marcofishing

MarcofishingII

MarcoSpreckles

MarcoBottoms

MarcoGriswold