Chiarelli's last stand?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

Chiarelli's last stand?

If the B's suffer their usual 1st or 2nd round exit I think it will be time for PC and Julien to go and try someone else. It seems we've been trying this lineup that relies mostly on second and third liners than skilled stars and playing ultra conservative with only hints of forechecking for some time now and it hasn't worked yet. Personally, I think with the post-lockout rule changes it seems that aggressive and skilled teams (Wings, Pens, Cannucks) have the advantage and the Bruins' older trap and collapse style is outdated.

I'll wait until after the playoffs before I start calling for heads. There is a good chance they make a decent playoff run but it seems to me that this organization is at a crossroads (again).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Chiarelli's last stand?

Unless there is some catastrophic event, PC will likely be here until the end of his contract.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

PC would keep his job. Julien would/should get canned

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Sure. Why not call for their heads on results without even seeing how it plays out. So what if injuries happen or the players don't play well, just fire the people in charge and don't put any blame on the players.

The blowup in last year's playoffs was awful. But it wasn't entirely unpredictable (Savard half a player, Krejic out, Sturm out, etc) and it was one of the only blemishes on CJ's stint as the Bs coach.

I don't see how you see there is justification for either's removal unless they both do something really aggregious. You can rail on Chia for not having a superstar on the team but how many are floating around out there? You don't just find a Crosby or Ovechkin just sitting on a park bench. Plus, I'll take Bergeron's, Marchand's and Lucic's ~30 goals (projected) as "second and third line" players any day.

I fail to see how Chia's job is at risk for anything he's failed to do.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgebhardt8. Show sgebhardt8's posts

Is this another sarcastic post?  Seriously, if you have been a Bruins fan for even ten years, you realize how different(and better) the Chiarelli regime has been.  Look at the depth in our organization.  Look at the drafting they've done.  The sinden/MOC regime's draft picks were atrocious!  I haven't even talked about the on-ice product.  We went from a hapless no-future team out of the lock out to one of the deepest, youngest, team with a bright future.  How did this happen?  Magic?  I'm sure the chiarelli haters and julien haters will say that the Bruins are where they are in spite of these guys.  Those people would be wrong.

Enough.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

My point was not so much about making mistakes, all people do that, but rather about the team's philosophy. Do we really want to continue in this direction of relying on '90's style conservative play? If it's not getting results they should move in a more progressive direction. Neely is already fed up with the lack of forecheck in this style of play. If they don't show results this year I'm ready for a different philiosophy entirely.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

i wouldn't even wait for the post-season, i'd fire pc right away. he's the worst gm in bruins history. so what if he took the worst team in the league and built this young and talented team who competes every year. he's the worst. salary cap schmalery cap. that's no excuse. he should do like the sox and buy the best players available. if you can't win the cup in this post lockout nhl, you're an idiot.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

If the Bruins lose early in the playoffs, then I think Julien is out.

Chiarelli, on the other hand, should not be in any danger of losing his job regardless of what happens.  His job is to build a contender, and I believe he has.  Injuries, bad luck, or lack of execution in the playoffs do not reflect on him, IMO.

Plus, he should be able to use the top 5 overall pick that he secured in the 2011 draft, through the de-pantsing of Brian Burke.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from choclab511. Show choclab511's posts

If you're going to ponder this question, then you cannot do so without considering ownership. If the team is turning a proffit and making the playoffs, Jeremy will NOT fire PC before his contract is up. I don't know why anyone would even consider a stanely cup to be remotely important to that decision for these owners.

Get it through your heads, they don't care about winning the cup. They care about putting a reasonably competitive product on the ice and turning a handsome proffit.

Firing a coach or GM and having to eat their salary if it is done so before a contract expires is bad for the bottom line. So, the team will make the playoffs, perhaps win a round, make a mid-playoff exit to the likes of Philly, or even Pitt or Wash, and no one will be fired!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Maybe Julien's last stand (if early exit) but certainly not Chiarelli's.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

niftybear you are not too nifty about this post about the Bruins GM it will not be his last stand. Less us forget it is cap era :

2 first rd. picks for Kessel I hope your not one of poster who is upset about this deal cause i am not. Kessel is a selfish whiner, him alone will not bring the Leafs to the promise land.

Picking up Kaberle shows me he has some guts to take a chance and maybe in the off season before draft day he may have something up his sleeve he is not stupid but is smart and has patience.

A cheap shot to Savard's head is not a GM 's fault, getting rid of injured prone Sturm was a good move and i will miss Stuart and so so with Wheels but having Kaberle for replacement was what all posters this year has been whining about. We need a smart offensive d man,CryCryYell PC did go get us a d man that can help this teams drastic PP.

If we get a lottery pick and land Larson and signed Kaberle for 3 yrs. Our blueline will be set for at least 3 threes.CoolSealed

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

crossroads i completely disagree with everything u wrote. i mean if u dont like the style they play then that's fine. im not a huge fan of julians either but the guy has won alot of games here and has had this team 1 game away from conferance finals 2 years in a row, and before anyone flips out i know getting into the conferance finals is not the goal, but think of all the clowns before julian. since milbury who had a winning record in the playoffs u have had the likes of bowness,sutter,kasper,burns,keenan,ftorek,oconnell and dave lewis my god. claude doesnt get them over the hump this year then im in your corner. as for upper management no way. chiarelli has put together a good young nucleus(tukka,bergeron,lucic,horton,seguin,krejci and kampfer) and this team will be in mix for many years to come. do u really feel that chiarelli didnt do everything possible to get what this team needs to make a run in the play-offs this year. if this team does not make a serious run in the play-offs this year its either on the players or the coach,the pieces are in place.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: Chiarelli's last stand?:
    [QUOTE]Unless there is some catastrophic event, PC will likely be here until the end of his contract.
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

I agree.  Jacobs will not pay two people at once.  It's why they went cheap on PC and Julien to begin with.

PC was an assistant in Ottawa and Julien has been canned from numerous teams under his watch, one of them being a weird situation in Jersey.

I'll take Lou Lamoriello's opinion over every GM in this business, save for Ken Holland.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chiarelli's last stand? : I agree.  Jacobs will not pay two people at once.  It's why they went cheap on PC and Julien to begin with. PC was an assistant in Ottawa and Julien has been canned from numerous teams under his watch, one of them being a weird situation in Jersey. I'll take Lou Lamoriello's opinion over every GM in this business, save for Ken Holland.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

how many nhl coaches have never been fired? how did firing julien work out for nj that year?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

I'm sorry but I disagree, Chiarelli and Julien have done a great job since they got here. While they irritate me at times, all coaches and GM's do, there is no denying what they have done. They turned this team from a laughing stock to a cup contender. What else do you ask for? It's not the GM or coaches fault how the Bruins lost. That's on the players.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]Is this another sarcastic post?  Seriously, if you have been a Bruins fan for even ten years, you realize how different(and better) the Chiarelli regime has been.  Look at the depth in our organization.  Look at the drafting they've done.  The sinden/MOC regime's draft picks were atrocious!  I haven't even talked about the on-ice product.  We went from a hapless no-future team out of the lock out to one of the deepest, youngest, team with a bright future.  How did this happen?  Magic?  I'm sure the chiarelli haters and julien haters will say that the Bruins are where they are in spite of these guys.  Those people would be wrong. Enough.
    Posted by sgebhardt8[/QUOTE]

Well, I think PC has the B's on a better path then the Sinden/O'connell regime, but there's a few things you should realize. TT, PB & DK are all from the latter regime.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chiarelli's last stand? : how many nhl coaches have never been fired? how did firing julien work out for nj that year?
    Posted by goodnewsbears[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but you  have to admit it doesn't look good when you are canned as #2 seed in March.

Believe it or not there are better coaches in the NHL than Claude Julien.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Who ever said they went cheap for Chiarelli OR Julien. Chiarelli has demonstrated a keen eye for talent, and an amazing methodology for the CAP. Julien is a throwback and has taught defense first while Chia has been upgrading the pipeline and core for the future. Peverly and Kelly add speed and experience to replace Wheels who had speed and not much else [ sorry Stanley] Kaberle has the whole town talking, and his team loves those passes. REX and Ryder may very well be gone next year, opening up spots from the minors like Arneil, Sauve, and later on Spooner and McNight. Meanwhile Seguin grows and matures. This is what makes Chiarelli's evolution from a lock-out disaster. Claude will probably be moved out at the end of his contract, to accomodate a more flexible and learned/brainy/smarter coach. That is evolution at it's best.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]I'm sorry but I disagree, Chiarelli and Julien have done a great job since they got here. While they irritate me at times, all coaches and GM's do, there is no denying what they have done. They turned this team from a laughing stock to a cup contender. What else do you ask for? It's not the GM or coaches fault how the Bruins lost. That's on the players.
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

Fair argument, but the players are signed by Chiarelli. Chiarelli himself admitted a depth problem at certain positions recently, and his allocation of salaries are absolutely questionable.

Ference and Ryder's contracts are high. No idea what Horton is making.

Also, they are a Cup "contender" on paper like they have been in recent seasons.

It doesn't mean they really are.   It's only fair to revisit this after the postseason, but to pretend Chiarelli and Julien are untouchable or at least based on their performances, that's silly.

I do agree Jacobs will look only at contract length, because he already has his profit now. 

Ken Holland and Joel Quenneville could be available tomorrow and Jacobs would still think he has the best people in the business here. lol

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chiarelli's last stand? : Well, I think PC has the B's on a better path then the Sinden/O'connell regime, but there's a few things you should realize. TT, PB & DK are all from the latter regime.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

that's what a good gm does. keeps the best players he has and gets rid of the rest.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsGM24. Show BruinsGM24's posts

Is this a preemptive thread explaining how PC and CJ should be dealt with if they don't make it to the conference finals this postseason?  Really?

IMO, PC has made a number of quality moves that have improved this team and stayed within the "Bruins vision".  What does it say that our #1 winger (Horton) has been struggling for 3 months now and the Bruins are still atop the Northeast?  If Horton breaks out, which I expect (hope?) he does, there's your #1 skill line in Horton-Krejci-Lucic, there's your hockey-smarts line in March-Bergy-Recchi, and there's your hard-working bottom 6.  The best part about the situation is that the bottom 6 guys can certainly push the top 6 guys.  Very good situation.  I think PC will add a depth defenseman a la Montador from a few years ago.

Oh, also, goal scoring should not be a complaint of ours.  Despite Horton's struggles, the Bruins are averaging 3.6 goals per game since Jan. 1.  Skill guys or not, the goals are going in.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

The goal average per game or the idea that Boston is "top 5 in goals scored" is misleading.

They blow out bad teams and struggle against good ones.

Very misleading stat.  Ryder and Horton's lack of punch all year has hurt them against quality competition.

This is like ARod hitting a 3 homerun in the 8th inning of an 11-2 game in May against KC and Yanks fans saying he's clutch in late innings.

Not buying it. This team needs consistent wing production with goals.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzardBoots. Show BuzzardBoots's posts

[QUOTE]i wouldn't even wait for the post-season, i'd fire pc right away. he's the worst gm in bruins history. so what if he took the worst team in the league and built this young and talented team who competes every year. he's the worst. salary cap schmalery cap. that's no excuse. he should do like the sox and buy the best players available. if you can't win the cup in this post lockout nhl, you're an idiot.
    Posted by goodnewsbears[/QUOTE]

Brilliant!  You nailed it GNB... well done.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

These are the firing scenarios I can think of:
    • The Bruins loose in the first or second round, and look completely overmatched.  No significant mitigating factors (eg Chara hurt).  This could mean Chiarelli is gone, which would usually mean Julien too.
    • The Bruins loose in the first or second round in a way that could be pinned on Julien (playstyle, etc).  Julien could be gone.
    • The Bruins make it to the conference championship, and either loose in a sweep/near sweep or by giving up a big lead, without significant mitigating factors.  Julien most likely gets canned.
    I think just about everything else falls into grey areas, where maybe Julien or Chiarelli end up on thinner ice, but both stay.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

BBR - they've hung a 7 or more against the Pens, the Bolts, and the Flyers this year.  They haven't scored as effectively against the Western conference, but that's not the same argument.  I think what you're really looking for is that old bugaboo of consistency.  Obviously, you need to know that the team will produce in big games, but that's not the same as having a single player who scores consistency - which is the most expensive commodity in the game.  I have this issue with moneyball people.  I would rather have a lineup of diverse talents that includes guys who might not put the ball in play regularly, but who have shown the ability to get hot and go a month at .380 15 35...because that month might be October.  In hockey terms, we've just seen Bergeron and Marchand demonstrate what they can do when they heat up.  We saw Horton and Lucic hot in October-November.  You're far less vulnerable as a lineup when you don't put all your eggs in one superstar who is counted on to do the scoring.