Chill - Need 20 games (give or take) before you can assess things

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

Chill - Need 20 games (give or take) before you can assess things

The leafs have 11 points in their first 7 games and are on top of the division.  The Bruins have played reasonably well, but only above Ottawa (last time I checked).

The early season is not usually a good indicator of how things pan out.

The Leafs started really strong last year as well and you know how they ended up.

I think 20 games is a good yardstick for finding out how teams are really doing.

The natural order should re-assert itself (give or take a couple of teams) by then.

I expect the Bruins to win their division and make it to the at least the conference finals.  Washington and eventually Pittsburg may have something to do with whether or not the Bruins make it back to the finals but I wouldn't over-react to what you see in the 1st month of action.

Leafs will struggle to make the playoffs again this year, but should be in the mix.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Chill - Need 20 games (give or take) before you can assess things

What if you are the defending SC champions and you start 7-13?  What if you are the Habs?  Canucks?  I think panic buttons are getting close all over the league.  I don't think 20 games is an indicator of anything.  These games can make or break pole position for the playoffs or force you to watch them. 
    We just had two extended home stands.  When the dog days of january-february kick in we have already used our mulligan.

I won't lose sleep over a loss or two.  But we need to string a nice little streak together.  Wonder if Pouliot and ST could have landed us Booth.  Did they even shop him around.  Is that all they could get?  Really?  Wow. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I'm still confused on Pouliot who makes both good moves, and terrible gaffs. IMO Thornton's value has totally diminished in all aspects except for stirring up the Boston crowd. That has some value, but won't win any games for them. Claude has tinkered pretty well with what he has, except for replacing Thornton, and he is probably thinking of the home crowd value, but has now noticed the lack of capability. Like Kelly's performance for the most part, but he could use better hands; Peverly with kreji has not really clicked, and Pouliot hasn't helped. I've been zapped for noting Boychuck's problems, but they keep on re-curring. Horton has the capability, but he just seems lazy at times. Claude is working with what he has, and, as noted by others, has been a more involved, and  different, coach since Neely's publicized visit last year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

" These games can make or break pole position for the playoffs or force you to watch them."

Yep I agree it's too long too wait before making decisions. If Boychuk, Kampfer and Ference keeping having nights like last night I think Chiarelli will be forced to bring in some insurance with McQuaid's head still aching. I'm not suggesting that any of those Dmen will get traded but the inconsistency just might worry PC.

"Peverly with kreji has not really clicked"

@Bogie, So you think 2 games with Krejci, obviously still hurting, is enough time ?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

In Response to Re: Chill - Need 20 games (give or take) before you can assess things:
    [QUOTE]" These games can make or break pole position for the playoffs or force you to watch them." Yep I agree it's too long too wait before making decisions. If Boychuk, Kampfer and Ference keeping having nights like last night I think Chiarelli will be forced to bring in some insurance with McQuaid's head still aching. I'm not suggesting that any of those Dmen will get traded but the inconsistency just might worry PC.                   "Peverly with kreji has not really clicked" @Bogie, So you think 2 games with Krejci, obviously still hurting, is enough time ?
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]McQuaid being out of the lineup has been a huge loss for the B's .The Bruin D is good but not particularly deep.Perhaps it's not as evident in the playoffs when Chara and Siedenberg logged so much ice time .

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: Chill - Need 20 games (give or take) before you can assess things:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chill - Need 20 games (give or take) before you can assess things : McQuaid being out of the lineup has been a huge loss for the B's .The Bruin D is good but not particularly deep.Perhaps it's not as evident in the playoffs when Chara and Siedenberg logged so much ice time .
    Posted by DallasSmith[/QUOTE]

Its a good pt and the reason I can see them taking a run at someone for depth possibly sooner than later. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In Response to Chill - Need 20 games (give or take) before you can assess things:
    [QUOTE]The leafs have 11 points in their first 7 games and are on top of the division.  The Bruins have played reasonably well, but only above Ottawa (last time I checked). The early season is not usually a good indicator of how things pan out. The Leafs started really strong last year as well and you know how they ended up. I think 20 games is a good yardstick for finding out how teams are really doing. The natural order should re-assert itself (give or take a couple of teams) by then. I expect the Bruins to win their division and make it to the at least the conference finals.  Washington and eventually Pittsburg may have something to do with whether or not the Bruins make it back to the finals but I wouldn't over-react to what you see in the 1st month of action. Leafs will struggle to make the playoffs again this year, but should be in the mix.
    Posted by LoveRealHockey[/QUOTE]

The problem for the B's right now is that they are already behind where they want to be.  Even if they sweep the Habs and get to .500 next weekend, they check in with 10 points after 10 games - well off the pace of a 100 point season.  Lose one or both Habs games and the deficit is obviously even greater.  They need points and they need them fast.  Next week is huge.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I think the Van-Fla trade will open some things up. From what I've read there tons of talk around the league right now as far as trades go....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

I agree with most of the posters - 20 games is too long to wait.  After 15 games I would like to see the Bruins over .500.  That means they need to go 5-2 in their next 7. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

The B's schedule has been favorable for them and they look like they are ready to snap out of this but all in all 20 games is 1/4 of the season and that is far too long to wait to make an assessment. No panic but the next 3 games after these days off will be a good barometer.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Chill - Need 20 games (give or take) before you can assess things : The problem for the B's right now is that they are already behind where they want to be.  Even if they sweep the Habs and get to .500 next weekend, they check in with 10 points after 10 games - well off the pace of a 100 point season.  Lose one or both Habs games and the deficit is obviously even greater.  They need points and they need them fast.  Next week is huge.
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]
    I expected a Stanley Cup hangover.If after ten games the B's are 5-5,I would be reasonably content with that.Then we can start the slow upgrade and hopefully be peaked for the playoffs.Some of the B's are notorious slow starters
    such as David Krejci for one.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chill - Need 20 games (give or take) before you can assess things : I expected a Stanley Cup hangover.If after ten games the B's are 5-5,I would be reasonably content with that.Then we can start the slow upgrade and hopefully be peaked for the playoffs.Some of the B's are notorious slow starters such as David Krejci for one.
    Posted by DallasSmith[/QUOTE]

I think the Bruins lost Saturday due to the Toronto hangover from Thursday.

If I never hear the term "Stanley Cup Hangover" again it will be too soon.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chill - Need 20 games (give or take) before you can assess things : I think the Bruins lost Saturday due to the Toronto hangover from Thursday. If I never hear the term "Stanley Cup Hangover" again it will be too soon.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    No way. I want to be having this same conversation next year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

A stat I've been tracking:

On Oct 14, the four Conference finalists from last year had played 13 games collectively, and won only 4 of them (30.7%)

Now, after having played 30 games total, they've gathered 13 wins (43.3%), a sign that the "conference finals hangover" is gradually wearing off.  Still, all four teams are well down in the standings: Van 6th, SJ 13th, TB 7th, Bos 12th. 

The fact that's it's still early is borne out by looking near the top of each conference.  Does anyone expect Toronto and Florida to finish in the top 8 of the East, or Dallas and Colorado to do the same in the West? Maybe these four teams are better than we give them credit for, but I'd expect some serious movement in the standings by the time we hit mid-November.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmo14. Show cosmo14's posts

Season will pretty much be over soon. 20 games is much too long. They need an immediate turn around.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

In Response to Chill - Need 20 games (give or take) before you can assess things:
    [QUOTE]The leafs have 11 points in their first 7 games and are on top of the division.  The Bruins have played reasonably well, but only above Ottawa (last time I checked). The early season is not usually a good indicator of how things pan out. The Leafs started really strong last year as well and you know how they ended up. I think 20 games is a good yardstick for finding out how teams are really doing. The natural order should re-assert itself (give or take a couple of teams) by then. I expect the Bruins to win their division and make it to the at least the conference finals.  Washington and eventually Pittsburg may have something to do with whether or not the Bruins make it back to the finals but I wouldn't over-react to what you see in the 1st month of action. Leafs will struggle to make the playoffs again this year, but should be in the mix.

What have we been smoking? I can only assume people here still believe the Bs are playing exhibition hockey and the season hasn't started yet. It may be too soon for a total spaz attack but the bottom line is the Bruins have only 3 wins in their first 8 games and sit 25th (yes, 25th) in the league. That just ain't even close to being good enough. That's a disgrace. Especially if you are the Stanley Cup champs.

Time to beat up some Habs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

I think I'm a prophet.Cool

In any event, the Bruins look like the best team out there right now.  Best goalie, best Dman, top 10 scorer, tough forwards.....

I hope my Leafs can keep the next two games with you guys within a touchdown.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Chill - Need 20 games (give or take) before you can assess things : I think I'm a prophet. In any event, the Bruins look like the best team out there right now.  Best goalie, best Dman, top 10 scorer, tough forwards..... I hope my Leafs can keep the next two games with you guys within a touchdown.

I hope your prophetic ways continue..........I'll be at the ACC for next Wednesdays game.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Chill - Need 20 games (give or take) before you can assess things : I think I'm a prophet. In any event, the Bruins look like the best team out there right now.  Best goalie, best Dman, top 10 scorer, tough forwards..... I hope my Leafs can keep the next two games with you guys within a touchdown.
    LRH, we always knew that you know your stuff but this is getting ridiculous. Keep up the good work. BTW, I'm happy to see your team is staying in the race even though they hit some rough patches (AKA-The Bruins). Cheers!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Chill - Need 20 games (give or take) before you can assess things:[QUOTE]I think 20 games is a good yardstick for finding out how teams are really doing. The natural order should re-assert itself (give or take a couple of teams) by then. I expect the Bruins to win their division and make it to the at least the conference finals.  Washington and eventually Pittsburg may have something to do with whether or not the Bruins make it back to the finals but I wouldn't over-react to what you see in the 1st month of action. Posted by LoveRealHockey[/QUOTE]

Prophetic

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I give you props for that call. Well done sir.