Chimera on McQuaid

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Chimera on McQuaid

No fault for Chimera.  McQuaid is a fool for turning like that.

Jack's trying to make a case that because Chimera came off the bench and skated hard at the puck carrier, it's illegal.

If these players would stop putting themselves in such positions, many of these injuries would not occur.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Re: Chimera on McQuaid

I agree 100% with you that players need to stop putting themselves in that position. McQuaid could've moved the puck quickly and kept his head up, knowing a hit was likely.

However, the forechecking player has a responsibility as well. Chimera had plenty of time to limit the aggressiveness of his check. He can still make the hit, but it doesn't have to be punishing like that. It's the excessive nature of it that the league wants out of the game.

McQuaid could've avoided the situation, but so could've Chimera. Both are at fault.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Chimera on McQuaid:
    [QUOTE]I agree 100% with you that players need to stop putting themselves in that position. McQuaid could've moved the puck quickly and kept his head up, knowing a hit was likely. However, the forechecking player has a responsibility as well. Chimera had plenty of time to limit the aggressiveness of his check. He can still make the hit, but it doesn't have to be punishing like that. It's the excessive nature of it that the league wants out of the game. McQuaid could've avoided the situation, but so could've Chimera. Both are at fault.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

Since when do hockey players or hockey fans want big hits to be limited?

You want a guy chasing the puck carrier to try to be less punishing? 

Watch soccer.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

another thread ? I've already commented on the other thread

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I agree w/ you NAS McQuaid put himself in that position but Chimera was looking for the seek and destroy hit as alot of players do now. It's merely not enough to try and separate the guy from the puck.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chimera on McQuaid : Since when do hockey players or hockey fans want big hits to be limited? You want a guy chasing the puck carrier to try to be less punishing?  Watch soccer.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    5 for CHARGING. McQuaid can't control being CHARGED.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Certainly wasn't a major. Therefore the game-misconduct was uncalled for.
    McQuaid clearly put himself in danger there. If he doesn't turn his back, it's a fantastic, hard-nosed play. 2 minute penalty at worst.

Funny, if this was a Habs, Leafs, or Sabres blog there would already be 50 posts calling for Chimera's execution. It's nice to be around people who aren't all just shameless homers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I'm not disagreeing with you...and I don't want the heavy hits to be out of the game either. But what you and I want is much different than what the league is trying to temper given the nature of bigger, stronger, faster, more expensive, more armored players.

It's an old discussion. The NFL is going through it. Now the NHL. Like it or not, there is more onus on the players to curb "excessive" hits in both sports. Now what constitutes "excessive" is going to be different depending on who you ask.

The sad part is you and I could sit here and try to guess what the league will do about this hit, but we don't have any idea. I don't think the players do, either. Pretty weak when nobody knows what constitutes an illegal hit versus a clean, heavy one.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chimera on McQuaid : 5 for CHARGING. McQuaid can't control being CHARGED.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Chimera was gliding at the goal line.

Why is it charing?

42.3 Major Penalty – The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a major penalty, based on the degree of violence of the check, to a player guilty of charging an opponent (see 42.5).

If McQuaid hadn't turned, it would have been a big body check and the play would have continued.  Why did McQuaid turn to face the boards when a player was two strides away and coming fast?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

In response to "Chimera on McQuaid": [QUOTE]No fault for Chimera.  McQuaid is a fool for turning like that. Jack's trying to make a case that because Chimera came off the bench and skated hard at the puck carrier, it's illegal. If these players would stop putting themselves in such positions, many of these injuries would not occur. Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE] You are dead wrong, adam has the puck he can turn any way he wants, it is by rule not ok to hit a player from behind no matter what, brick said it best he should have bear hugged him instead of what he did thats what the players must learn to do, besides it was called charging not boarding

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chimera on McQuaid : 5 for CHARGING. McQuaid can't control being CHARGED.

100% correct dez.  There was no call for a hit from behind.  It was correctly called charging.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I agree w/ you NAS McQuaid put himself in that position but Chimera was looking for the seek and destroy hit as alot of players do now. It's merely not enough to try and separate the guy from the puck.
    Posted by stan17[/QUOTE]

Thunderous body checks are a big part of hockey!  What's next...the Shawn Thornton School of Checking?  "Excuse me, sir.  I was planning on checking you.  Will that be okay?"

Lucic throws big checks all the time.  Chara does also.  When Boychuk throws a big hit, everyone goes crazy with joy. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chimera on McQuaid : Chimera was gliding at the goal line. Why is it charing? 42.3  Major Penalty – The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a major penalty , based on the degree of violence of the check, to a player guilty of charging an opponent (see 42.5 ). If McQuaid hadn't turned, it would have been a big body check and the play would have continued.  Why did McQuaid turn to face the boards when a player was two strides away and coming fast?
    What's your point?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

In response to "Chimera on McQuaid": [QUOTE]No fault for Chimera.  McQuaid is a fool for turning like that. Jack's trying to make a case that because Chimera came off the bench and skated hard at the puck carrier, it's illegal. If these players would stop putting themselves in such positions, many of these injuries would not occur. Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE] Reckless..reckless play....I'm all for clean hard hits.Sorry that was a dumb play by Chimera, but will agree Mcquaid turned at the last second though, and should have protected himself

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I guess the question is, if McQuaid doesn't turn his back at the last second, would it still be a charge, or just a good hard play?

If it was Lucic who cleaned out a Caps DMan like that, I'd be PO'ed if he got a major and game misconduct.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chimera on McQuaid : What's your point?

Even if charging was the correct call, which is subjective, the degree of violence associated with the check was magnified by McQuaid's careless turn to face the boards at the last second.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I guess the question is, if McQuaid doesn't turn his back at the last second, would it still be a charge, or just a good hard play? If it was Lucic who cleaned out a Caps forward like that, I'd be PO'ed if he got a major and game misconduct.
    Posted by seobrien[/QUOTE]

Everyone here would be up in arms if the table was turned and it was Lucic who got booted.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Chimera on McQuaid:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chimera on McQuaid : Chimera was gliding at the goal line. Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

What?! Clearly you did not watch if you think "Chimera was gliding"!

FAIL!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chimera on McQuaid : What?! Clearly you did not watch if you think "Chimera was gliding"! FAIL!
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Chimera stops skating before the goal line.  What do you call it?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chimera on McQuaid : Everyone here would be up in arms if the table was turned and it was Lucic who got booted.

Ok we get it your the devil's advocate

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

If i run a redlight do i blame the car i hit for not seeing me? ITS NOT MCQUAIDS RESPONSIBILITY TO NOT GET CHARGED

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chimera on McQuaid : Everyone here would be up in arms if the table was turned and it was Lucic who got booted.

He did , last season in the playoffs against the Habs with a hit on Spacek .  I was up in arms because he turned his back before Lucic plastered him. Mostly everyone here agreed and were calling Spacek a faker.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chimera on McQuaid : Ok we get it your the devil's advocate
    Posted by stan17[/QUOTE]

Oh no, not at all.  I'm looking at this logically as a hockey fan.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chimera on McQuaid : Oh no, not at all.  I'm looking at this logically as a hockey fan.
    Are we to infer that those who agree with the on ice call are illogical, less knowledgeable hockey fans?