Claude Julien

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Claude Julien

It’s no secret that CJ isn’t my favorite. Since he was the coach for the team I’ve lived and died with my whole life that won the cup, I’ve backed off and given him the respect that accomplishment deserves.

FWIW, here’s the deal. I truly believe that the guy is an excellent x’s and o’s  coach who has a solid grasp of solid fundamental defensive hockey. Really like a great coordinator more than a head coach. He also strikes me as a good man who conducts himself with dignity. He believes in a system that obviously can be successful, and knows that system as well as anyone in the game. I don’t like that style of hockey or any other sport for that matter because it tends to take the emotion and aggression out of teams that employ it. But it can work ….IF –

The players on the ice take it upon themselves to compete and play a physical ,desperate brand of hockey. Under a CJ coached team, those crucial elements for success will have to take place on the ice, because they will not be held accountable for those aspects of the game from behind the bench. It is something that will always take a back seat to the defensively responsible assignments they are held to.

I’ve seen things on the ice that are so bad that it leaves me speechless.  They are just too numerous to mention.

For whatever reason, this team has lost its ability to engage emotionally, and that is the single issue that is spiraling them down. No scrums, fights, fore checking or desperation. They need leadership in the worst way, and they don’t have that guy right now. It would be nice to imagine that would come from the head coach, but it ain’t gonna happen. Instead, they will be drilled with the system as the reason for poor play …I think that whole deal has run its course, and that he’s lost his this team. This is the big bad Bruins, but it’s awfully hard to take advantage of that strength when you’re priority is skating back to the neutral zone.  Some coaches just have a shelf life that runs out faster than others, I think the expiration date is here, but that shouldn’t take away from his record which deserves respect.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Re: Claude Julien

Agree JW and well said.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KWPatsFan. Show KWPatsFan's posts

Some good points John.  I wonder if the following have contributed to the B's lack of toughness/agression: 

McQuaid out of the lie up, Thorton KO'd with a concussion earlier in the year, Chara getting older and avoiding the physical contact he once dished out, Lucic thinks he is a goal scorer making $6MM/year why engage, additions of little Pandolfo, Hamilton's still a kid, Horton's concussion has left him a shell of himself in the physical game.  Recching ball moved on.

You add all these points up and our big bad bruins have moved to a more Seguin, Krecji style finess game like it or not.  and as you said CJ's game will not work unless the heavy hitting downhill Bruins are all engaged physically.  Perhaps a speed game will have to be employed, because 1 and 2 goals a game will not put us in the win column coming down to the wire.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Very well said JW. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

CJ signed a multi year extension last summer...there is no way he gets fired due to last night's loss, or even due to their struggles over the last month.  But another early playoff exit may be a different story.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

CJ signed a multi year extension last summer...there is no way he gets fired due to last night's loss, or even due to their struggles over the last month.  But another early playoff exit may be a different story.

I think this team needs a change and the easiest change is Julien. This team seems to be just going thru the motions and that falls on the coach. I just don't see PC firing Julien unless he is told to do so powers above him. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

In response to hangnail's comment:

I think this team needs a change and the easiest change is Julien. This team seems to be just going thru the motions and that falls on the coach. I just don't see PC firing Julien unless he is told to do so powers above him. 

They've been thru this sort of thing before, it's not PC or Neeley's MO to fire a coach for playing .500 hockey over a month's time.  They stay the course and stick to their plan.  We may not like it, but that's what they do.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"But another early playoff exit may be a different story."

This will be the only thing that gets him fired before the start of next season. The fanbase, however unfortunate, has to ride out games were Julien's in game decesion making will make us go mad until the team gets healthy.

The one thing i'm hoping for is a story that Neely went and had a talk with his coach and GM. Claude sometimes just doesn not have the right feel for in game coachin, last night was a prime example.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

Well put OP. I think last night was the breaking of my black-and-gold colored glasses. I think what we saw last night was CJ at the same point as many of us, "We're in Montreal, against the Canadians, and this is what I get? Well WTF can I do?" This team, and Im still very puzzled as to how, has lost its heart, which is one of the things I enjoyed so much about them in the past. I put very little blame on Claude's shoulders. Hope they can rediscover it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The goon was on the ice at 18:40 of the third period with the team down by one goal in a big divisional game.

One of the greatest offensive forces in the history of the NHL was acquired for a higher price.  He played most of the game with two fourth liners.

No more.

Fire Julien.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

So NAS, do you think its tactical decision issues causing the Bruins to play .500 over the past month? Coaching? Not players?

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Sportsnutty's comment:

So NAS, do you think its tactical decision issues causing the Bruins to play .500 over the past month? Coaching? Not players?

It's a myriad of problems.  Players in super slumps need to be benched, demoted or short shifted.  Julien doesn't do that.  My guess is because he's too close to these guys.  This is one reason coaches get turned over so quickly.  In Montreal, Therrien had a parade to the press box this year.  Don't play?  Don't play.  That was his theory.  Julien won't bench the guys he won the Cup with.  Someone else will bench those guys, however. 

The players haven't lost their skill.  They've lose their desire and accountability. 

Oh, and playing Campbell for 19 minutes while top skill guys play less is 100% unacceptable.

And having the goon in the lineup at all is unacceptable.

Here's how incredibly lost Julien is right now:

Paille:  17:50

Seguin:  16:15

Marchand:  15:40

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

He's over values defensive responsibility.

I believe a coach has to adapt to the team he has and CJ isn't doing that, he simply doesn't know what to do with gifted offensive players.

I don't think he understands the Xs and Os for offense.

I think he's lost his team, it appears to me they've tuned him out.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

Here's how incredibly lost Julien is right now:

Paille:  17:50

Seguin:  16:15

Marchand:  15:40

[/QUOTE]

You said yourself, "if you don't play, you don't play" though. IMO Paille deserves more TOI than Seguin or Marchand if ice time is based on effort. Agreed though, lots of problems...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

It's not so much the system as the decision making. Yagr playing with Campbell and Paille was a reasonable change, since Jags has no feel for up-tempo short shifts. Not meant as a criticism, it's just his style is to be out there for longer shifts at a different pace. Peverly between Seguin and Marchand was a better move and emphasizes how much more Seggy needs to learn to emulate Bergeron's play as a center. What is rather unbelievable is a PP with 6 vs. 4 and no-one plants themselves in Price's space, they just pass the puck around the perimeter [ UGH] and no crashing the net !!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

He's over values defensive responsibility.

I believe a coach has to adapt to the team he has and CJ isn't doing that, he simply doesn't know what to do with gifted offensive players.

I don't think he understands the Xs and Os for offense.

I think he's lost his team, it appears to me they've tuned him out.

Maybe I gave too much credit to the guys in the locker room. I always thought they were better than the "tune out", "Rockne speech", types. More self-motivated and accountable. Is Mike Keenan available (ouch I just fractured my cheek)?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from skater68. Show skater68's posts

Player for player B's are better than the Hab's. Team for team the Hab's are better.

The reason the coach. B's have more trouble getting the puck cleanly out of their end than any team I've seen this season . They are really predictable and slow. They telegraph their passes. Their powerplay sucks.

CJ won the cup because of great goaltending and a lot of luck. A seven game series may even favor his coaching style. It gives the team more opportunity to zero in on the opposing teams offense and shut it down.

Unfortunately nothing will be done .

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

This is just crazy talk... let's ignore for a moment that CJ coached almost all of these players to a Cup just 2 years back AND he is the second winningest caoch in Bruins history, but you are pointing to moments in the game when you have no idea of the details of the situation. And Paille and Campbell was every bit as good as Marchand and Seguin last night!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to JWensink's comment:

It’s no secret that CJ isn’t my favorite. Since he was the coach for the team I’ve lived and died with my whole life that won the cup, I’ve backed off and given him the respect that accomplishment deserves.

FWIW, here’s the deal. I truly believe that the guy is an excellent x’s and o’s  coach who has a solid grasp of solid fundamental defensive hockey. Really like a great coordinator more than a head coach. He also strikes me as a good man who conducts himself with dignity. He believes in a system that obviously can be successful, and knows that system as well as anyone in the game. I don’t like that style of hockey or any other sport for that matter because it tends to take the emotion and aggression out of teams that employ it. But it can work ….IF –

The players on the ice take it upon themselves to compete and play a physical ,desperate brand of hockey. Under a CJ coached team, those crucial elements for success will have to take place on the ice, because they will not be held accountable for those aspects of the game from behind the bench. It is something that will always take a back seat to the defensively responsible assignments they are held to.

I’ve seen things on the ice that are so bad that it leaves me speechless.  They are just too numerous to mention.

For whatever reason, this team has lost its ability to engage emotionally, and that is the single issue that is spiraling them down. No scrums, fights, fore checking or desperation. They need leadership in the worst way, and they don’t have that guy right now. It would be nice to imagine that would come from the head coach, but it ain’t gonna happen. Instead, they will be drilled with the system as the reason for poor play …I think that whole deal has run its course, and that he’s lost his this team. This is the big bad Bruins, but it’s awfully hard to take advantage of that strength when you’re priority is skating back to the neutral zone.  Some coaches just have a shelf life that runs out faster than others, I think the expiration date is here, but that shouldn’t take away from his record which deserves respect.

That's actually a pretty good post.  More or less my thoughts as well, with a few exceptions.  I don't know if Julien has lost this team or not and I don't know if a new guy gets better execution or not.  But I also don't know how anyone could watch the last 10 minutes of that game and not have some major coaching questions.

The most flagrant, among several glaring problems, was that wide cycle puck movement right through the last 30 seconds of the game with a 6 on 4.  No shots.  A stunning lack of awareness, when a go-for-broke net storming was obviously called for.  I can't come up with any decent excuse for that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Every coach has an expiration date.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

The most flagrant, among several glaring problems, was that wide cycle puck movement right through the last 30 seconds of the game with a 6 on 4.  No shots.  A stunning lack of awareness, when a go-for-broke net storming was obviously called for.  I can't come up with any decent excuse for that.

I'm not disagreeing to just disagree, but I don't understand how execution is the coaches fault. Did he not say "pretty please do your job"? The team lost puck battles, had dozens of turnovers, STILL don't go to the front of the net, and refused to shoot with the 6-4 advantage.. what is CJ to do about that?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:

This is just crazy talk... let's ignore for a moment that CJ coached almost all of these players to a Cup just 2 years back AND he is the second winningest caoch in Bruins history, but you are pointing to moments in the game when you have no idea of the details of the situation. And Paille and Campbell was every bit as good as Marchand and Seguin last night!

This is something that you're posting all over the forum, NJ, but here's something you're forgetting:  If the #1 and #2 goal guys from last year are playing to the ability of fourth liners, there is a coaching problem.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

That was miserable, but I feel the most direct result of Julien's disconnect was having the goon on the ice with 80 second left.