Cold War

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

Cold War

The arms race is on!

And there's talk of the Flyers adding Adam Foote from Colorado, with room left over to add a scoring winger!

How many scoring wingers can one team have?!

Do the Bruins stack up? Do they have enough to beat the Flyers?

Should the Bruins be looking for the same 'scoring winger' the Flyers are? Before the end of Monday?

Are the Flyers even the Bruins biggest concern?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Cold War

Flyers sure look good - but the Bruins have beaten them this year both by shut out and by barn burner.  Still, for everyone who says you have to have a ppg player, they Flyers are led by Giroux who's only six points better than Bergeron.  Granted they have four guys with more points than Bergeron, but the rosters balance out after the top four.  Boston's top four would still be the top four in Philly, and beyond that Philly has only three other players with more than 30 points - Leino, Versteeg and Hartnell - while the Bruins counter with 6 more guys over that plateau including two defensemen in Chara and Kaberle. 

Biggest difference is in goal where Philly once again goes to war with questions in net - which Boucher will they get?  Is Bobrowski playoff ready?  I think the Bruins stack up.  I wouldn't bet my house, but then I don't expect the Bruins to be clear favorites over...well, any playoff team.  I just don't believe it ever works that way.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

FLYERS S U C K

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Flyers should not be a priority at this point. It is not likely that the B's will play them in the first round so there is not point to look that far ahead. One series at a time...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Yep Flyers-Bruins series would come down to goaltending and Philly doesn't have it. I picture Seidenberg and Krejci healthy in this years series or Peverly instead of Wheeler or Horton instead of a missing Sturm oh yah I like Boston's chances.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Philly does not have the cap room

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

LOL. Where is this concept that "Philly's goaltending will doom them in the playoffs" coming from

Bobrovsky- 24-9-4 record, 2.46 GAA, .918 Sv%
    Boucher- 15-6-2 record, 2.26 GAA, .922 Sv%

Is it vezina-esque goaltending? No. But based on recent cup winning goalies since the lock out, their goaltending is absolutely good enough to win the cup. I think they have the best forward depth, and the best top 4 defense in the NHL. They are the clear favorites in the east

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antti_Niemi_(ice_hockey)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc-Andr%C3%A9_Fleury

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-S%C3%A9bastien_Gigu%C3%A8re

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cam_Ward

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

In Response to Re: Cold War:
    [QUOTE]I think Philly is pretty over rated. Looking at how they've done against the top teams (we'll say boston, TBL, Vancouver, detroit), it breaks down like this vs TBL 1-4 (only win coming in a SO) vs Boston 1-2 vs Detroit 1-0 vs Vancouver 0-1 i'm not impressed
    Posted by pbergeron37[/QUOTE]
    I'm sure you thought they were overrated after game 3 last year, right?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I think Philly is pretty over rated. Looking at how they've done against the top teams (we'll say boston, TBL, Vancouver, detroit), it breaks down like this vs TBL 1-4 (only win coming in a SO) vs Boston 1-2 vs Detroit 1-0 vs Vancouver 0-1 i'm not impressed

Yeah, they're overrated.  They have 40 wins and 15 losses (6 fake losses also). 

40 wins.

At home, they're 20-8-3 and on the road they're 20-7-3.

Yeah, all smoke and mirrors there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

In Response to Cold War:
    [QUOTE]The arms race is on! And there's talk of the Flyers adding Adam Foote from Colorado, with room left over to add a scoring winger! How many scoring wingers can one team have?! Do the Bruins stack up? Do they have enough to beat the Flyers? Should the Bruins be looking for the same 'scoring winger' the Flyers are? Before the end of Monday? Are the Flyers even the Bruins biggest concern?
    Posted by Awry[/QUOTE]

how in the world do they have the cap space for this?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cold War : Yeah, they're overrated.  They have 40 wins and 15 losses (6 fake losses also).  40 wins. At home, they're 20-8-3 and on the road they're 20-7-3. Yeah, all smoke and mirrors there.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

aw come on, can't you ever take anything with a grain of sugar rather than a lump of salt???

Over rated - no, certainly not.

Over achieving?  I think there might be something there.

It happens.  The Flyers were underachieving starting last season.

Like the Bruins of 08-09, their regular season record didn't reflect the team that showed up to the playoffs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

The Bruins have enough balance to play anyone. Once Kelly and peverley get in synch this is a hard team to beat. My biggest concern is how Claude manages his players. There are times he should sit Ryder to get him moving, but Claude never does this. His use of Thornton is also very questionable. His decisions between Kamfer and Boychuck are also suspect unless Boychuck becomes more consistent. He did play well in the last game, but his instincts are not always the best. Claude also needs to rotate Thomas and Rask more efficiently in order for both to play well. Cannot expect Rask to sit for 10 games and then play brilliantly. Claude needs a kick in the ___ to be alert.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DAVESTAPLETON86. Show DAVESTAPLETON86's posts

Flyers are weak in the pipes. b's lost to them last time cuz went  "yankees '04" on us.

goaltending and pp goals win playoffs

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cold War : Yeah, they're overrated.  They have 40 wins and 15 losses (6 fake losses also).  40 wins. At home, they're 20-8-3 and on the road they're 20-7-3. Yeah, all smoke and mirrors there.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

NAS? Consider the source! This is from someone who got 32 mins for arguing an offside call & doesn't have the decency to provide the proof of this "AMAZING FEAT!"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cold War : NAS? Consider the source! This is from someone who got 32 mins for arguing an offside call & doesn't have the decency to provide the proof of this "AMAZING FEAT!"
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

LOVE IT.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Cold War:[QUOTE]I think Philly is pretty over rated. Looking at how they've done against the top teams (we'll say boston, TBL, Vancouver, detroit), it breaks down like this vs TBL 1-4 (only win coming in a SO) vs Boston 1-2 vs Detroit 1-0 vs Vancouver 0-1 i'm not impressed

Neither am I their goaltending will fold under questioning.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I think they proved last year that when you have stifiling defence & balanced scoring. Average goaltending can get you far. Plus Philly is far better than last year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

[QUOTE]I think they proved last year that when you have stifiling defence & balanced scoring. Average goaltending can get you far. Plus Philly is far better than last year.
    Thank you. While having vezina calibre goaltending is very helpful in the playoffs, past years have proven that its not necessary to winning a cup.

Philly can absolutely win it with the goalies they have now

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I think they proved last year that when you have stifiling defence & balanced scoring. Average goaltending can get you far. Plus Philly is far better than last year.
    Nite,are you now telling us that the importance of goaltending is overrated?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neely07708. Show Neely07708's posts

I agree Philly is better this year, but so is Boston

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cold War : Nite,are you now telling us that the importance of goaltending is overrated?
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]
    WHAT! DEZ DON'T EVER SWEAR AT ME LIKE THAT!! lol
    No, goaltending can & WILL always be a factor in the play-offs. It can win you a series or two. Like Halek did last year. It can also lose you a series like Moog did in 93' against Buffalo. Solid & average like Neimi, Leighton & Boucher did last year with the right team, you can get by. A lot of posters on here are saying Philly's goaltending will be their downfall. My point is they don't need SPECTACULAR to win! I will say this as well. If Philly doesn't have a healthy Pronger? THEN they're in trouble! It's not a coincidence that his teams go far in the play-offs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cold War : WHAT! DEZ DON'T EVER SWEAR AT ME LIKE THAT!! lol No, goaltending can & WILL always be a factor in the play-offs. It can win you a series or two. Like Halek did last year. It can also lose you a series like Moog did in 93' against Buffalo. Solid & average like Neimi, Leighton & Boucher did last year with the right team, you can get by. A lot of posters on here are saying Philly's goaltending will be their downfall. My point is they don't need SPECTACULAR to win! I will say this as well. If Philly doesn't have a healthy Pronger? THEN they're in trouble! It's not a coincidence that his teams go far in the play-offs.
    Yeah,I knew that question would get you going.LOL!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cold War : Yeah,I knew that question would get you going.LOL!
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Yea, I lost some of my Maritime accent since I moved out here, but when I get worked up it comes out pretty good! If we were talking one on one you would've heard it! lol

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

No one is stating the obvious;

That until Boston beats Philadelphia in a 7 Game Series, the Flyers will always have a '7th Player' on the ice - that no matter how far out in front the Bruins get they will always face the spectre of collapse.

This makes Philadelphia a formidable opponent (just as Montreal's history over-rides all statistics and prognostication)

The Bruins will need everything they've got, they will need extra. They have til  the end of Monday to take stock

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]No one is stating the obvious; That until Boston beats Philadelphia in a 7 Game Series, the Flyers will always have a '7th Player' on the ice - that no matter how far out in front the Bruins get they will always face the spectre of collapse. This makes Philadelphia a formidable opponent (just as Montreal's history over-rides all statistics and prognostication) The Bruins will need everything they've got, they will need extra. They have til  the end of Monday to take stock
    Posted by Awry[/QUOTE]
    Bruins have won 6 playoff series against Montreal and lost 4 since the curse was broken 22 years ago.They have a win/loss record of 33-24 in the 10 series'.I'm not sure the Habs dominance of yesteryear still holds any relevance to players who weren't old enough to remember the curse.