Colton Orr career may be over

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

Colton Orr career may be over

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=882623

I, for one, regardless of your affiliation, am sad to hear this (if true).

Hockey enforcer is one of the toughest jobs out there and Colton Orr was one of the best.

I sure hope he's going to be okay, but you knew that the number of hard shots he took to the head this year was going to take it's toll.

Say what you will about fighting in hockey, this guy never ran away from anyone and always stood up for his teammates.  He gave more then he took and he took on all comers including those much bigger then him (I think he's only 6'3)

Here's to Colton Orr.  I hope you're going to be okay!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Colton Orr career may be over

Orr never dodged anyone and like you said its a hard career.  He played hard and took on all comers.  But when you constantly are taking shots to the head its gonna catch up with you.

Hope he gets better.  But he likely has played his last game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Colton Orr career may be over:
    [QUOTE]http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=882623 I, for one, regardless of your affiliation, am sad to hear this (if true). Hockey enforcer is one of the toughest jobs out there and Colton Orr was one of the best. I sure hope he's going to be okay, but you knew that the number of hard shots he took to the head this year was going to take it's toll. Say what you will about fighting in hockey, this guy never ran away from anyone and always stood up for his teammates.  He gave more then he took and he took on all comers including those much bigger then him (I think he's only 6'3) Here's to Colton Orr.  I hope you're going to be okay!
    Posted by LoveRealHockey[/QUOTE]
    I saw him run from Boogaard one night but he fought him the next time they played so I give him a pass on that one.It's a shame when you hear of a guy that's forced into early retirement while there are other,more talented players that stop playing simply because they don't feel like it anymore.I hope all works out for Orr regardless of whether or not he ever plays again.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

A shame to hear.  Hope he is okay.  Hope he doesn't try to come back, as his game is fighting and only fighting.  Too risky.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

One more major reason to get rid of the 'clowns"," Goons", whatever you want to label them. Staged bouts should be automatic game, even multiple game, misconducts. That would result in emotional hockey fights being just what they have always been, and eliminate the need for any team to carry a 3 minutes per game fighter.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

One more roster spot available for a hockey player.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Colton Orr career may be over:
    [QUOTE]One more roster spot available for a hockey player.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Not with Burke and Wilson running the show.  Expect a replacement goon.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]One more major reason to get rid of the 'clowns"," Goons", whatever you want to label them. Staged bouts should be automatic game, even multiple game, misconducts. That would result in emotional hockey fights being just what they have always been, and eliminate the need for any team to carry a 3 minutes per game fighter.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

Couldn't have said it better.  Authentic, emotional, heat-of-the-moment fights = hockey.  Silly staged fights or fights because someone was hit by a hard, legal check = not hockey.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colton Orr career may be over : Not with Burke and Wilson running the show.  Expect a replacement goon.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Jay Rosehill can fill that role and isn't the leagues worst defenseman.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Unfortunate. One of the toughest currently in the NHL. I guess now he can retire a millionaire. Not too shabby....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colton Orr career may be over : Jay Rosehill can fill that role and isn't the leagues worst defenseman.

You have a heart of gold NAS.  I know you're pretty consistent in your disdain for guys like Colton Orr, which is your right, but when you have other teams that take liberities on your star players, they value a teammate like Colton Orr.

I would agree that staged fights are nonsense and I don't care much for them.  Similiarly I don't respect a player that starts a fight just because one of their teammates got levelled on a good hit.  However, if one of your star players are getting cheap shots or players are taking liberties on them, I like having a Colton Orr (or a John Wensink, Stan Jonathan, Jay Miller, Terry O'Reilly etc) on my team.

By the way, Rosehill is a winger not a defenseman but as long as Komiserak remains a defenseman, your statement is technically correct.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

he certainly beat the absolute daylights out of Lucic last year to the point where Lucic won't fight at all anymore.I'll never forget Lucic hiding behind the ref telling him to step in with his nose sideways from Colton's fists. Colton you are 1 tough dude.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colton Orr career may be over : Jay Rosehill can fill that role and isn't the leagues worst defenseman.

I think Rosehill is a winger and I heard a couple panelists mocking him on HNIC radio yesterday.  He seems fine to me and fights enough, or whatever, but I wouldn't be surrpised if the Burke model of having a goon or two wins out and they bring in another heavyweight.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

On the NAS side of the board, yep, moving COrr aside means a spot (potentially) for a hockey player.  But the same part of me that thinks the only way to get Matt Cooke out of the game is for teams to stop valuing a dirty little punk as part of their team makeup has some sympathy for COrr.  Goon is a defined role in league (not necessarily the game) - there's a job description written for whoever wants to apply.  COrr applied and did the job pretty well as measured by the terms of the position.  It isn't up to COrr to say that job is obsolete, any more than it's his job to say no thanks to million dollar pay days.

Do I feel bad that his career is over?  Not really.  Do I sympathize with a guy who may experience lasting quality of life issues as a result of his injuries?  Yep. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colton Orr career may be over : You have a heart of gold NAS.  I know you're pretty consistent in your disdain for guys like Colton Orr, which is your right, but when you have other teams that take liberities on your star players, they value a teammate like Colton Orr. I would agree that staged fights are nonsense and I don't care much for them.  Similiarly I don't respect a player that starts a fight just because one of their teammates got levelled on a good hit.  However, if one of your star players are getting cheap shots or players are taking liberties on them, I like having a Colton Orr (or a John Wensink, Stan Jonathan, Jay Miller, Terry O'Reillyetc) on my team. By the way, Rosehill is a winger not a defenseman but as long as Komiserak remains a defenseman, your statement is technically correct.

- Terry O'Reilly's number is hanging in the rafters for the B's after 204 goals in 891 games.
    - Stan Jonathan: 91 goals in 411 games, including a career-high 27 in 1977-78
    - John Wensink:70 goals in 403 games, including a career-high 28 in 1978-79
    - Jay Miller: even he had 40 goals in 440 games

Colton Orr has 10 goals in 373 games, including a career-high 4 in 2009-10. Lumping him in with guys that could play hockey, as well as, fight is misleading at best. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Griswal65. Show Griswal65's posts

shoulda stayed a Bruin... huge error on O'C's part several years ago trying to sneak him down to the minors and then the Rags scooped him...... ya, Burke will replace with more than Rosehill fursure.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I have no problem with fighters but Colton Orr played like a jerk.  He was often as bad as the rats he was supposed to be protecting star players from.  He would take liberties with undersized skill players.  Not that he shouldn't, but I didn't like the way he played.  I feel bad for his injury, but will be glad he is out of the league.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

I hate staged fights, but I never ever turn my eyes away.

If someone smokes my star player or linemate, legal or not, he needs a reminder, and no I do not want to wait for the freakin replay to see if it was ok or not, it needs to be done on the spot, just in case it wasn't legal.  And if it was, he will get the message anyways. Better to err than to wait for a no win situation where the whole league is waiting and watching for a retaliation that will cost you big time if you respond badly.

The Cooke hit had it been answered at the time there would have been more satisfaction, even though it was deemed legal in the eyes of the league it should have been dealt with at the time.  A response later like the NYI and Pit game, though fun would have cost us a few players for a few games, fine if it is only Thorn, but that would not have happened with us.

Colton Orr was a tough guy, but he was also a bully, he did not just target the other tough guys, he went after anyone just like England and Carkner and quite a few others, they do not deserve to be part of the game, with this I am with NAS, tough guys are needed yes, but they need to be able to play the game.

Thorn has scored 23G in 350Gms, his career high is 8 this year. He scored a high of 19 and a total of 23 in Junior, but he averaged 2-300Pims is why he is in the NHL, he should be in the minors still, he can't play the game and he does not make us better.

Tough on COrr, but the NHL will not miss him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

It's sad to hear of anyone's career ending prematurely.  That said, the league is better off without him running around and taking shots at players.  His play was fairly reckless and if George Parros knocks him out of the game, so be it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colton Orr career may be over : You have a heart of gold NAS.  I know you're pretty consistent in your disdain for guys like Colton Orr, which is your right, but when you have other teams that take liberities on your star players, they value a teammate like Colton Orr. I would agree that staged fights are nonsense and I don't care much for them.  Similiarly I don't respect a player that starts a fight just because one of their teammates got levelled on a good hit.  However, if one of your star players are getting cheap shots or players are taking liberties on them, I like having a Colton Orr (or a John Wensink, Stan Jonathan, Jay Miller, Terry O'Reilly etc) on my team. By the way, Rosehill is a winger not a defenseman but as long as Komiserak remains a defenseman, your statement is technically correct.

How many times did Orr fight someone for taking a shot at another player?  How many times does this ever happen with these Skating Clowns?  They fight each other for the sake of it.  In his last fight, Orr fought George Parros.  They had tea time at the faceoff circle, chatted a bit, the puck dropped, and as agreed, they fought. 

This guy was not a hockey player.  He was nothing more than a sideshow joke.  The sooner the rest of his ilk join him in retirement, the better the NHL product will be. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

While I wish Orr the best going forward, I agree with NAS and others that players like him need to be taken away from the NHL

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ocram. Show ocram's posts

I loved this guy on the Providence Bruins back in the day.  I hope he can make it back from his injury.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

I'm sorry. I missed this. Why is his career almost over? He has concussion problems, why?
    Was he hit from the blindside or pushed face-first into the boards?

What happened?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

Hope he's ok. I always wanted to see him back in a B's uniform. Something about the name...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

Kidding. I know what happened.

And I don't know which concussion is more embarrassing to the NHL:
    Colton Orr's or Sidney Crosby's.

Both make this look like a total Bush League, stuck in some bygone era where people still drive drunk and smoke on airplanes.

Oh, if only we could teach man-eating lions to skate!

Set the maximum number of skaters per roster at 17 instead of 18.

30 players who shouldn't be in the NHL wouldn't be.

And the GM's who understand who those 30 players are, are the ones who will prosper and flourish.