Comical Influenza

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Re: Comical Influenza

Ray Bourque was a puck moving Dman. Duncan Keith is the proto-type of it right now. Chara, blessed as he is with an amazing shot, is an offensive threat, but not a puck mover. Gonchar is an offensive threat, but isn't all that great at moving the puck out of his own zone.

Where I started the thread to get a PMD, is after the Carolina series where the Canes attacked Chara, and caused all kinds of problems in the Bruins end. The B's didn't seem to be able to move the puck out of their own zone very well, and therefore could not get it up to the forwards. That is what I want. Someone who can handle the heavy fore-checking, and get it up to the forwards. This Dman doesn't even have to score, but that would be nice.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Comical Influenza:
    [QUOTE]The Bruins paid for not having a better skating defensman in their recent loses before tonight. Phoenix is not going to part with Yandle yes those threads were a joke Maloney confirmed his laughs many times on the radio. If Chiarelli doesn't get more mobile defenseman for the playoffs the Bruins will pay for it against coaches like Maurice, Laviolette and Martin mark it down. Julien has not solved how to teach his defensman how to breakout better from their own zone. Call it whatever you want PMD what have you. Boston's recent losses were because of back line mobility or lack there of.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Exactly !  Gosh ,  this thread I thought was supposed to make me laugh , kidding around and it did . Even though I disagree with NAS and where he's coming from on this matter.
    In the end that phrase is being overly used but what else do you want to call it ??? 
    Basically it's short for so many skillsets that even you NAS were talking about.
    It's become a hockey term for hockey people to use and we all know what it means .  Back then they used to say a team needed a D with skills like Coffey or Bourque today they're called "Puck Moving Defense"  WHAT'S THE BIG FUSS ABOUT !
    Now let's behave,  no ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Comical Influenza : Well, I was out watchng the game last night.  I almost replied to the argumentative thread by NAS, but your post is spot on.  The Olsonic diatribe by NAS was anticipated.  Afterall the amount of hockey information provided is that PMD should not be used as a term.  Or puck moving defensemen should not be used as a term.  Then nothing was provided in analysis typical of NAS.  He is a contrarian.  His best thread was this summer when he did an analysis of the rookie camp.  If he does that he is the best.  So, I end saying the Bs need to move the puck out of the defensive zone more fluidly.  Ahhhhh, shortened, PMD team????
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]
    Your last sentence says all that needs to be said on this subject. Two seasons ago, their Breakout was the best in the league, bar none.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

I have a different take on the Bruins break out woes.  I feel as though most of the Bruins defenseman are very capable PMD.  However, the Bruins lack team speed at the forward position.  Therefore d men from opposing teams are not afraid to pinch deep on the walls.  If the Bruins had more speed on the wings, these d men would not step up as much as they do against the Bruins and space for the breakout pass or passes would increase.  In addition, the "moving the feet" term is all about Claude's system, it tends to lead to guys standing around in the neutral zone instead of attacking on the forecheck or sitting on the side boards with their back to the pinching d man in their own zone.  It's rare to see the Bruins make passes that hit guys on the fly moving up ice, it's usually chip it out and retrieve.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

BB,  as mentioned on your ' College" thread  guys like Weber, Bogosian (or Bogozian) , Doughty,  Keith, Seabrook.... they can all show offensive flare , they are all QB's on the PP and yes, like you said are Defensemen.
    Who gives a rats A.. what they call them .  From now on I will try to call it :
    " The guys who do both "

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Comical Influenza:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Comical Influenza : His best thread was this summer when he did an analysis of the rookie camp.  If he does that he is the best.  So, I end saying the Bs need to move the puck out of the defensive zone more fluidly.  Ahhhhh, shortened, PMD team????
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

As I mentioned Isla call it whatever you want better yet one the worse playoff ousters in recent memory the Bruins go into the the 2004 playoffs with 104 points can't move the puck out of their own zone they get bounced "No mobility".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Semantics.

What difference does it make whether the "term" PMD is used--we all know what it means: The difference between a not-very-offensive-minded or fleet of foot D-man (see Stuart, Mark) who may have other fine attributes (can check real hard, blocks shots, plays a defensive scheme well (again, see Stuart, Mark), but is not going to add much offense as opposed to a guy like Mike Green who can skate like the wind, has offensive capabilities that take some pressure off the forwards to do all the scoring, yet may not be as shut-down w/the body in his own end of the ice.

The ideal is to have a mix of those types on your team, and it's quite fair and accurate to say that the Bruins right now are made up almost entirely on the back end of guys who don't skate or carry the puck especially well, won't put up more than 3 or 4 points for the whole season (see Ference, Andrew; McQuaid, Adam), and most importantly, don't get back to retrieve pucks quickly enough in their own end because they are slow (see Chara, Zdeno) and allow opposing offenses to pressure them on the forecheck too easily.

The fast, good-passing, offensive-minded defenseman is a serious asset in today's NHL, and it's a major reason why the Thrashers immediately took Dustin B. (can't spell that last name w/out looking it up) and moved him from fwd. to D, and it's been a brilliant move.

The Bruins NEED to get at least one or two D-men like that into the fold--I don't care what you call them--if they're going to improve themselves and become a better alla-round squad. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"The fast, good-passing, offensive-minded defenseman"

Hey a new abbreviation FGOMD nice!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Devanjan. Show Devanjan's posts

What the B's need is  a "PMD" with a "high compete level" in both the "OZ" and "DZ" who can "see the ice", "read the play", and is 6'15" and weighs 375 lbs, has "hockey sense" and can play 65 minutes a game, has an "awesome" "heavy  shot" and also a shot that has been clocked at 135 mph. He should also be able to fight, but not get penalties. He should be regarded as the meanest "M----r F----r" in the "valley of death". As a plus he should also only want a $500,000 salary and be ready to donate 50% of that to the charity of your choice. He should also be quick witted, photogenic, have all of his own teeth.

Quick, we can order 2 of them and design them through stem cell research. They'll be ready before the trade deadline. Then the B's will have what every other team has at least one of.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Devanjan. Show Devanjan's posts

Darn - I forgot that he should also play on the PK and QB the PP, and be a leader "both on the ice" and "in the dressing room".

Maybe even available for dog walking

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I have to admit that I have shared NAS's (and others) frustration with the overuse of the nebulous term "PMD".  I think that everyone who has watched Duncan Keith has some notion of what the term PMD means, but still, it really doesn't make much sense to say the Bruins desperately need a PMD. 

Could the Bruins use a better defensman?  Yes.  Coul they use a better breakout?  Yes.  Did they need to search for the unicorn-esque PMD?  No.

I think the Bruins 'system' has more to do with their breakout trouble then saying an individual defenseman can or cannot make a good first pass.  I see a lot of breakouts facing a strong forecheck, where there is nobody open, and the Bruins struggle to get the puck out.  I don't think that having a so-called PMD helps as much here as tweaking the system to have forwards come back more and be less predictable with the breakout strategy.

On the offensive end, the Bruins could always use a better skater and shooter, but not at the cost of being defensively reliable.  I am one of a very few here that does not think that a Mike Green for Andrew Ference trade would help the team at all.  The Bruins need another well-rounded defensmen with good offensive skills.  Since it is way too costly to get one in his prime from another team, their best bet is to develop one from within, which appears to be what they are trying to do. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RascalHoudi. Show RascalHoudi's posts

Puck Moving SKILLS.

We're talking about defencemen with PMS.

You can have defensive stalwarts with PMS.
    You can have defensive liablilties with PMS.
    You can even have women with.....   aw, nevermind that one!!

PMS is only one aspect of possible skills that a player may have, but it is in the toolkit of every single defenseman- just to various degrees.

To pigeonhole a player as PMD is narrowminded and inaccurate.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]Puck Moving SKILLS. We're talking about defencemen with PMS. You can have defensive stalwarts with PMS. You can have defensive liablilties with PMS. You can even have women with.....   aw, nevermind that one!! PMS is only one aspect of possible skills that a player may have, but it is in the toolkit of every single defenseman- just to various degrees. To pigeonhole a player as PMD is narrowminded and inaccurate.
    Posted by RascalHoudi[/QUOTE]

I disagree with your last sentence... no sense of arguing.  But the PMS was hilarious!  I am still laughing!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gogojuicer. Show gogojuicer's posts

Just heard on the radio somebody refer to Kaberle as a "seasoned" PMD. So i guess now you have PMD, SPMD and not sure what the rookie PMD would be. Pretty ridiculous.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]What the heck is a puck moving defenseman, anyway?   One who makes a really good first pass? yes, it's often one of his best assets Does this player also play defense well? traditionally, not as well, Mike Green is a prime example Does this player have a good shot?  Yes, PMD are known for their offensive skill Does this player have good positioning in all three zones? generally, the team sacrifices defense for offense.
    Posted by OlsonicCreations[/QUOTE]

Isn't that an offensive defenseman?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Whatever you want to call it, the Bruins need scoring from their D corp.  5 goals and 28 pts. from the back end just doesn't cut it.  Dustin Bfyuglien has 27 pts by himself, including 10 goals.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

By the way, all this talk about Shea Weber, he is 3 6 and 9 with a -10 this year.  What's up with that?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]By the way, all this talk about Shea Weber, he is 3 6 and 9 with a -10 this year.  What's up with that?
    Posted by MeanE[/QUOTE]

Don't know, that is surprising.  He has been missing his stud defensive partner Ryan Suter, so I'm sure that is part of it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Whatever you want to call it, the Bruins need scoring from their D corp.  5 goals and 28 pts. from the back end just doesn't cut it.  Dustin Bfyuglien has 27 pts by himself, including 10 goals.
    Posted by MeanE[/QUOTE]

I would love to see more points from the defense.  A good quality offensive defenseman could get the job done.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I'd prefer an all around Dman. Not a lot of them in the league though. Who do you have in mind NAS. I mean we agree that a Weber, or a Yandle is out. What about a Keith Ballard, who's been injured a lot this season, but certainly has some upside no? Hopefully TT's mask can handle Ballards baseball swing. lol

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

The reason they don't just call it an offensive defensemen is because a significant part of a PMDs value is in the defensive zone yet it has nothing to do with playing defense, it has to do with breaking out the puck.

Since the red line was removed, the week-side defenseman on the opposing team has to give more ground than he traditionally has had to because the team breaking-out can send a man in alone much easier than when the two-line pass rule was in effect. Additionally, the wings breaking out can start picking up speed earlier before because there is a larger distance they can travel at high speed before they need to cut/turn/curl to maintain position as an available recipient of a pass.

If you have wings leaving earlier,and at higher speeds, it becomes even more important to get the the puck up the ice faster in order to take advantage of opportunities in the transition game where the opposition could be caught in too deep after a turn-over. Without a PMD, you might not notice it's value since the offense can only break out as fast as the defense enables them too. If they are slow, the wings and centers will compensate. It will look cohesive, but it isn't working to its potential.

But the PMD doesn't just move the puck quickly, he can beat a defender with his speed in order to open up a passing lane. Good stick skills also help his ability to get the puck up ice, because he can maneuver into a passing lane quicker than a more "stay at home" a.k.a. kinda slow defensemen. These stick/speed skills are traditionally more important on offense, however, since the rule changes, they have been an even greater asset to the effectively breaking out the puck and transitioning into offense.

It's no wonder than PMDs are often pretty good at offense, because the skill set is similar. When someone says we need a PMD, they aren't saying we need a power-play QB with a howitzer from the point, they are saying we need to improve the breakout. Just so happens that a lot of those guys tend to be good at the offensive side of things too.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]The reason they don't just call it an offensive defensemen is because a significant part of a PMDs value is in the defensive zone yet it has nothing to do with playing defense, it has to do with breaking out the puck. Since the red line was removed, the week-side defenseman on the opposing team has to give more ground than he traditionally has had to because the team breaking-out can send a man in alone much easier than when the two-line pass rule was in effect. Additionally, the wings breaking out can start picking up speed earlier before because there is a larger distance they can travel at high speed before they need to cut/turn/curl to maintain position as an available recipient of a pass. If you have wings leaving earlier,and at higher speeds, it becomes even more important to get the the puck up the ice faster in order to take advantage of opportunities in the transition game where the opposition could be caught in too deep after a turn-over. Without a PMD, you might not notice it's value since the offense can only break out as fast as the defense enables them too. If they are slow, the wings and centers will compensate. It will look cohesive, but it isn't working to its potential. But the PMD doesn't just move the puck quickly, he can beat a defender with his speed in order to open up a passing lane. Good stick skills also help his ability to get the puck up ice, because he can maneuver into a passing lane quicker than a more "stay at home" a.k.a. kinda slow defensemen. These stick/speed skills are traditionally more important on offense, however, since the rule changes, they have been an even greater asset to the effectively breaking out the puck and transitioning into offense. It's no wonder than PMDs are often pretty good at offense, because the skill set is similar. When someone says we need a PMD, they aren't saying we need a power-play QB with a howitzer from the point, they are saying we need to improve the breakout. Just so happens that a lot of those guys tend to be good at the offensive side of things too.
    Posted by OlsonicCreations[/QUOTE]

The odd thing is some posters think Washington's Mike Green is a fourth forward on the ice.  A judgement that he does not play defense, I tend to agree. He is an offensive defenseman me thinks.  I think the Bs need a "PMD" or a "PMS" or whatever the term.  Olsonic you are on the money with your remarks!