Composite sticks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Composite sticks

Much has been made about the obvious problems of composite sticks.  They seem to break too easily, and they allow average players to shoot the puck with leg-breaking velocity.  This season I have been noticing something else that appears to be different about the game now that almost everybody uses composite sticks.

The sticks are so light that players are often playing with only one hand on their stick.  Players will often hold the stick with one hand on the end of it and swing it back and forth like a windshield wiper to break up an opponent's rush.  Quite often it works, and as a result much of the neutral and defensive zone is clogged up much of the time.  The ice seems so much smaller now than it did five years ago, because passing lanes that were open in the era of wooden sticks are no longer there.

Has anyone else noticed this?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Composite sticks

Players have used that windshield wiper technique for a long time, but it used to be only the stronger defencemen who could pull it off - Chelios and Stevens used it frequently. Now with the lighter sticks, more players can do it. I don't know if that's a problem, or just an evolution of style.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Composite sticks rock !

No way that I give up mine.

You, dinosaurs, can go back to the stone age though, fools !

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

In Response to Re: Composite sticks:
    [QUOTE]Players have used that windshield wiper technique for a long time, but it used to be only the stronger defencemen who could pull it off - Chelios and Stevens used it frequently. Now with the lighter sticks, more players can do it. I don't know if that's a problem, or just an evolution of style.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    Yes.  It used to be that only the strongest players could pull off the windshield wiper technique.  Now almost everyone is doing it.  The same thing goes for shooting the puck over 100 MPH.  Does this make the game better?  I don't think so. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

100 MPH shot !

Hoo, baby !

That's awesome.

Keep composites, keep composites !

Shut up, you wooden sticked dinosaurs !

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

With my composite stick, my shot is pretty much just like Al MacInnis'.

Lovin' it.

Never going back to those crappy wooden sticks that cavemen used.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

I dont like them for those reason you stated.  I just made mention of it in the concussion thread and Ill do it here too:  They allow the "average" shooter way too much torque on any given shot, making their shots MUCH harder than they would be with other equiptment.  Im all for the advancement in technologies, but at some point you need to put a stop to it.  Baseball only allows wood:  Why is that?  I personally hate them and have tried them a few times but wont play with one.  I hate seeing 10 break every night and I hate seeing guys shoot the puck 80pmh off every wrist shot, breaking ankles and knocking guys out of the game.  I wish they would get rid of them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]With my composite stick, my shot is pretty much just like Al MacInnis'.   Lovin' it. Never going back to those crappy wooden sticks that cavemen used.
    Posted by RMiller87[/QUOTE]

No it isnt.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Ummmm....  That's two of these cavemen whiners that have mentioned players "breaking ankles" as an argument against composite technologies....

PFFFFFTTTTTTTTT !

Like that ever happens...

With my composite stick, I can fire the puck from a goal line to the other net and get the puck to ricochet back into the net that I shot it from...

Way too awesome to give up !

Never going to happen, neanderthals !

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Miller's egging on is just because his egg fell into his laptop. Banish all composites and take the whiplash out of hockey. The Rocket did not need composite; Orr did not need composites; Espo did not need composites; real hockey is played with wooden sticks that require skill and muscle to perform. Wooden sticks would reduce injuries significantly, and would return stick handling skills to the game. also would eliminate the sheap penalties when composites break so easily. Who benefits from composites besides the makers??

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

The rules specify wood or other approved material. Soo, just get the rules to eliminate all but wood. Watch the yells.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

You guys are out of your minds.  My shot might be a little harder with the composite, not even sure if it is.  I *love* them because they are lighter and more durable than wood sticks.

yes.  I did just say they are more durable than wood.

Wood sticks - the blades break *VERY* easily, wear down very quickly and they get spongey even faster.

The composite blades last forever.  I get a year or so out of my composites, I would go through about 4-6 wood sticks in the same period of time.

The NHL guys are so strong they snap the shafts, you never see the blades break.  And the thing about breaking a shaft is that it is ***SOOO**** much more dramatic than breaking a blade.

Plus you could get away with playing with a broken blade on a wood stick much more easily, you could feel the integrity wasn't there, but the crack/break  whatever it was wasn't evident.  So you didn't have to drop it right there. 

The composite stick "issue" is way over rated.  If the players today, given how strong they are, used wood sticks, you would get twice as many breaking.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

I wonder what it would do to Kessels game. We are literally the same age(nearly to the day) and I can barely remember playing without a composite. Mustve got my first at 12/13yo. When I use a wood I notice a significant reduction in stickhandling speed and puck control and slap shot power. But an increase in Wrist Shot power. Im sure it would put a bunch of players in the league through a nutty.

But what injuries are caused by Synthetics that dont happen otherwise? Most people come back after getting hit with the puck even if it hurts a ton (stingers) and people who get in the face it doesnt matter if the puck was going 10mph faster because of a synthetic damage would still have been done.

You also have to take into account Goalies. So if you remove synthetics guys cant stickhandle as well, cant shoot as hard, and goalies still have new aged equipment?? Goal scoring would be way down.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Goalie's being improved is a great idea. Just imagine how many leg contussions would be reduced if composites were outlawed. I don't remember that many blades breaking in the days before composites. Shafts yes, but not so many blades. Jamming the goal mouth would be less dangerous, so why doesn't the league ban composites?? too many payoffs? harder to generate a scoring shot?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]I wonder what it would do to Kessels game. We are literally the same age(nearly to the day) and I can barely remember playing without a composite. Mustve got my first at 12/13yo. When I use a wood I notice a significant reduction in stickhandling speed and puck control and slap shot power. But an increase in Wrist Shot power. Im sure it would put a bunch of players in the league through a nutty. But what injuries are caused by Synthetics that dont happen otherwise? Most people come back after getting hit with the puck even if it hurts a ton (stingers) and people who get in the face it doesnt matter if the puck was going 10mph faster because of a synthetic damage would still have been done. You also have to take into account Goalies. So if you remove synthetics guys cant stickhandle as well, cant shoot as hard, and goalies still have new aged equipment?? Goal scoring would be way down.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey[/QUOTE]

i guess it goes by the user.  Stickhandling I find superior with wood.  Took me a while to figure out I needed really whippy composites to feel the puck.

I am sure aluminum and composites contributed to the tendonitis.  I never had a problem until i was about 45, then I got the cortisone shots for "tennis elbow" - in hockey it gets your upper hand.  I had been using aluminum for about 5 years.  It's teh amount of vibration transferred back into your arm from the stick.

Back in the olden days with wooden sticks, goalies equipment was horrible and they would get hurt every time they got hit practically.  Those masks were useless, on my jayvee team in 1976 our goalie got hit dead in the mask and it opened a 30 stitch cut on his forehead.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

I honestly think you could put better armor on skates than currently exist. That is really the most vulnerable area. maybe something inflatable to reduce the weight.. Composite sticks have been good for the game IMO

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE]Miller's egging on is just because his egg fell into his laptop. Banish all composites and take the whiplash out of hockey. The Rocket did not need composite; Orr did not need composites; Espo did not need composites; real hockey is played with wooden sticks that require skill and muscle to perform. Wooden sticks would reduce injuries significantly, and would return stick handling skills to the game. also would eliminate the sheap penalties when composites break so easily. Who benefits from composites besides the makers??
    Posted by Bogie6[/QUOTE]

Just because they didn't NEED them doesn't mean that they wouldn't have used them if they were playing in today's age.  They didn't NEED to work out and eat right back then either.  But you do now.  And I suspect that all great players will use whatever's available for them to legally use if they feel it gives them a competitive advantage.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Someone mentioned EXACTLY why we wont see them done away with...any time soon at least.  Not during the Buttman era of hockey. GOAL SCORING!  That jackbag thinks people want 5-4 games every night, so anything that can increase goal scoring he is ALL about.  Can you imagine if baseball allowed aluminium bats?  Lets just make a goal worth 6 points, like football, and then Buttman can have his 30 to 24 fake score like football.  Why dont we have anything within the circles be a 1 point, anything from there back is 2 and anything from the blue line back is worth 3?  That would be a GREAT way to get fans to watch the game, wouldnt it?  Another gimmick, like the shootout that does away with ties except you still get a point for going into overtime. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]The rules specify wood or other approved material. Soo, just get the rules to eliminate all but wood. Watch the yells.
    Posted by Bogie6[/QUOTE]

Do you currently play this game?

Dollars to donuts that all you advocating wood sticks don't currently play.

And if you currently play and are using a wood stick after trying a composite, you are the only player I know that did. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

[QUOTE]Someone mentioned EXACTLY why we wont see them done away with...any time soon at least.  Not during the Buttman era of hockey. GOAL SCORING!  That jackbag thinks people want 5-4 games every night, so anything that can increase goal scoring he is ALL about.  Can you imagine if baseball allowed aluminium bats?  Lets just make a goal worth 6 points, like football, and then Buttman can have his 30 to 24 fake score like football.  Why dont we have anything within the circles be a 1 point, anything from there back is 2 and anything from the blue line back is worth 3?  That would be a GREAT way to get fans to watch the game, wouldnt it?  Another gimmick, like the shootout that does away with ties except you still get a point for going into overtime. 
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]
    With the removal of composite sticks, the league could reign in the ridiculous size of goalie pads, which in turn would lead to more goals.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Composite sticks : Do you currently play this game? Dollars to donuts that all you advocating wood sticks don't currently play. And if you currently play and are using a wood stick after trying a composite, you are the only player I know that did. 
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RascalHoudi. Show RascalHoudi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Composite sticks : Do you currently play this game? Dollars to donuts that all you advocating wood sticks don't currently play. And if you currently play and are using a wood stick after trying a composite, you are the only player I know that did. 
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

LOL.. well I'm on that list Badhab.  Mind you I've only been playing out for about 7-8 years (after 20+ years in net), so maybe I'm not your typical example.  I just don't like the feel of the composites... too light.  I like a little meat on my stick.. makes it feel so much better in recieving passes and handling the puck.  I'm more of a wrist shot guy than a slap shot guy, so maybe that contributes to me liking wooden sticks more too.

But most guys definitely are using the composites.